Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Spark wrote:

More than just oil prices tbh. IIRC the majority of global shipping goes through Suez.
Maybe for Australia
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Ilocano wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Ugh so much stupid.

what matters to me? An uprising in the most populous Arab nation?
Useless trivia question- What is the most populace Muslim state?
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Indonesia.
Indonesians aren't Arabians...
That's why I said Muslims and not Arabs.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

Crowds throng Cairo on 'day of leaving'

https://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5485/e71dd9e8a71b6d84cab027f.jpg

i see this as a protest that hasn't marched on the presidential palace yet. the Tunisians were able to effect their presidents' abdication by protest, but unless the Egyptians march to the palace itself, i don't see Mubarak leaving. he's too entrenched, and the protesters really don't have a leader . . .
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6355

11 Bravo wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

I've seen hardly any Americans who aren't bitching about terrorists/crazy muslims and how they don't like these protests.
lol
Clearly That was not MY attitude.

It is changing however as the 'brotherhood' seems to more and more be the focus and the rudder.

Another factor that has made me cool to it, is the fact that our president seems pretty hot on it. He was very cool to the Iranian demonstrations. If he is on board you know it is not in the interest of democracy.

If Egypt falls into radical hand America will feel the change, but we will suffer the least. Then we should take a poll and see who's " bitchen ".
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5037|Massachusetts, USA
Mubarak stated he wont be leaving power because he doesn't want the muslim brotherhood to gain power, but what if the militarys generals want to oust him and force a military rule on the people.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Americans are bitching more about snow nowadays rather than muslims and their protest. Mek clearly hasn't met many americans.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

UnkleRukus wrote:

Mubarak stated he wont be leaving power because he doesn't want the muslim brotherhood to gain power, but what if the militarys generals want to oust him and force a military rule on the people.
Did something change in the last 24 hours? Last I heard he was leaving in september (not seeking re-election) and his son was not taking power in his place.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I'm fairly certain the same could be said of every country in the world. The average worker bee concerns himself with what matters to him. Nothing more.
and as I said, the average worker bee has no idea about their own govt. or significant facts about their own country. My concerns really doesn't lie in whether the average American knows the leadership of every country in the world, but rather they have at least a working knowledge of their own country. It is this dumbing down of the American citizen that I feel is responsible for the decline of our nation as a whole, in morality, economically, and in world status. We are a nation of the entitled, and when your entitled, who needs to know anything. The only thing people really wanna know is, who can they put in office that will entitle them the most.
'dumbing down' is one of the most overused expressions in America today. Americans have always been dumb. There was never any golden age where everyone was bright and discussed philosophy in an intelligent manner. Sorry.
Thats not what I meant. There was a time where people valued an honest days pay for a honest days work.  Where people took responsibility for raising their families, where being on welfare was a disgrace. If you do not think morality and personal responsibility and values in the states has taken a nose dive, then we will just have to agree to disagree.
UnkleRukus
That Guy

Kmar wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Did something change in the last 24 hours? Last I heard he was leaving in september (not seeking re-election) and his son was not taking power in his place.
Was watching BBC last night and they said he doesn't want to leave right now because of the possibility of the brotherhood taking power.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Sorry to disappoint Dilbert, but I yes I am guilty, Irarely read the annual budget of the US. and do not again accuse me of dragging Muslims or Islam into every discussion.
Well, thats what you do.

Since you get so excited about the ME and muslims in general its surprising you know nothing of Egypt, or who the President has been for 30 years.
Do you know who Saddam Hussein was?
no actually most of the time you being a smart instigates the Islamic discussions, just like you tried to do here.

No Dilbert, who was Saddam Hussein? Is he a cousin of Barack Hussein Obama?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

UnkleRukus wrote:

Kmar wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Was watching BBC last night and they said he doesn't want to leave right now because of the possibility of the brotherhood taking power.
Well it appears clinton and obama are giving him the hint.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art … 2b15728b53

Also, if you read the article in its entirety you'll see the foreign press finally has some good to be proud of.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why on earth would the average American concern themselves with international politics? I can't think of a worse form of mental masturbation.
So, are you saying that all of us here are collectively masturbating?
UnkleRukus
That Guy
Who isn't masturbating when they read D&ST.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

Kmar wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Well it appears clinton and obama are giving him the hint.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art … 2b15728b53

Also, if you read the article in its entirety you'll see the foreign press finally has some good to be proud of.
"Was someone looking at what was going on the Internet?" she said.
this is what i was saying earlier - thanks to technology, the world is shrinking.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6355

Dilbert_X wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Personally, I've seen that most Americans I know take a stance similar to my own in that they support the revolts, but they worry what government will take Mubarak's place.
Why would Americans be worried what takes its place? Is America a militarily weak nation bordering Egypt or something?? Are Americans averse to self determination and 'power to the people' in the context of a nation of desperate underemployed, underfed subjects of a kleptocrat, just looking for some bread and a job? Or is the real reason that they don't want true Arab sentiment electing leaders because the middle east is where a large percentage of the world's oil comes from and decades of mistreatment by western nations (backing brutal dictators/stooges, overthrowing democratically elected leaders, invading nations on shoddy grounds or simply 'in the national interest' (Suez)) has utterly alienated the Arab street from the west? That's not to say Arabs hate the west either. It may shock a lot of people to realise that they want all the things we have: TVs, iPhones, the internet, nice cars, good food, etc. Perhaps if we treated that part of the world with parity of esteem rather than viewing the region as 'peoples we must exert control over' we might foster better relations with them.
Oil price, Israel, nothing else.
except ~
Commerce, free trade, safe shipping lanes etc. If the region becomes unstable Who do you think will be policing it ? and no one will be bitching when we do.

Poe a good defence needs some depth to it in a modern world. Keeping your lawn mowed short around your house simply will not do anymore as a deterrent to surprise attack. Oil producing countries want to sell oil to Oil consuming countries. Why should Producers or Consumers let outside factions interfere ? The driving force is actually " that that they want all the things we have: TVs, iPhones, the internet, nice cars, good food, etc. " not a prehistoric subjugating ruling Class/religion that will beat them back down into serfdom and mistreatment by backing brutal dictators/stooges, which is what they will get ( See Iran )

Perhaps if They treated that part of the world with parity of esteem rather than viewing the region as 'peoples They must exert control over' we might foster better relations with them.

PS people who have  TVs, iPhones, the internet, nice cars, good food, will be less and less likely to become uninformed mindless fodder in a religious war. It is from the poverty stricken areas where they recruit the most. They see this resource slipping away. That is one reason they are on the march.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina
Well, I suppose I'll be returning to the masturbation forum I recently discovered then.  They're apparently less self conscious about their stroking.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6355

Kmar wrote:

Americans are bitching more about snow nowadays rather than muslims and their protest. Mek clearly hasn't met many americans.
Yes I want another look at the " hockey stick graph " before I finish my pool.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

and as I said, the average worker bee has no idea about their own govt. or significant facts about their own country. My concerns really doesn't lie in whether the average American knows the leadership of every country in the world, but rather they have at least a working knowledge of their own country. It is this dumbing down of the American citizen that I feel is responsible for the decline of our nation as a whole, in morality, economically, and in world status. We are a nation of the entitled, and when your entitled, who needs to know anything. The only thing people really wanna know is, who can they put in office that will entitle them the most.
'dumbing down' is one of the most overused expressions in America today. Americans have always been dumb. There was never any golden age where everyone was bright and discussed philosophy in an intelligent manner. Sorry.
Thats not what I meant. There was a time where people valued an honest days pay for a honest days work.  Where people took responsibility for raising their families, where being on welfare was a disgrace. If you do not think morality and personal responsibility and values in the states has taken a nose dive, then we will just have to agree to disagree.
I think you've bought into the rhetoric about a utopia that never existed except in the minds of some conservatives. There have always been lazy people and the majority will always shun any form of responsibility. The "Leave it to Beaver" world never existed. Sorry.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why on earth would the average American concern themselves with international politics? I can't think of a worse form of mental masturbation.
Absolutely. It's all pointless. I view it as entertainment, nothing more.
-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Well to be fair 2010 was the second hottest year on record.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I think you've bought into the rhetoric about a utopia that never existed except in the minds of some conservatives. There have always been lazy people and the majority will always shun any form of responsibility. The "Leave it to Beaver" world never existed. Sorry.
Didn't say shit about leave it to beaver, so gimme a break...As I said, agree to disagree.  You think our values as a nation has remained unchanged, I cant agree with that.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6355

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Some people enjoy getting first hand views from across the Globe. Some people admit they can learn from others. I can read posts from people in Iraq or people who were deployed there to get insight and observations the News doesn't or wouldn't give me. You have to admit the News has been  light on Iraq after The presidential elections. If it offers an entertainment value it is understandable. There could be some sense of satisfaction in exposing an overblown, inflated, egotistical poster for the total fraud that he is, but still information is information. Opinion is important too.  This place is at its best when you can contact an eyewitness source first hand and find out, " Is it really as bad as they say "

The floods in Australia come to mind. I wish there were a poster or two in Egypt  right now. I wouldn't shut my ears to them and claim to have better information.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6355

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

Didn't say shit about leave it to beaver, so gimme a break...As I said, agree to disagree.  You think our values as a nation has remained unchanged, I cant agree with that.
Neither can I, In fact the entire demographic of our Nation is changing, so the argument " it has always been like this " doesn't really hold up. A percentage of New immigrants ( legal or not ) go right to dependency on programs that didn't exist years back. I think it is safe to say the past is a different country. For the record I never saw you use the term " Everyone "

PS for the record the Cleavers appeared to be Middle Class, didn't live beyond there means and it was this type of economic strata that was the bedrock of America when it did function better. They were typical of millions of Americans who put more into the system than they ever expected to get out of it.

There are less familes like this every year.

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2011-02-04 08:52:19)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Neither can I, In fact the entire demographic of our Nation is changing, so the argument " it has always been like this " doesn't really hold up. A percentage of New immigrants ( legal or not ) go right to dependency on programs that didn't exist years back. I think it is safe to say the past is a different country. For the record I never saw you use the term " Everyone "

PS for the record the Cleavers appeared to be Middle Class, didn't live beyond there means and it was this type of economic strata that was the bedrock of America when it did function better. They were typical of millions of Americans who put more into the system than they ever expected to get out of it.

There are less familes like this every year.
Provide proof.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6355
In which observation do you express doubt ?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard