Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

11 Bravo wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

You guys are so retarded in your view that this is a terrorist/islamic uprising, you guys would believe anything as long as it helps you belittle other people in the ways you love doing so
i never said it was a terrorist uprising you fucking idiot
Don't patronise me, you guys are arguing all over the thread that this is some crazy allah Islamic uprising ...didn't you just say, right now...that this bitch is gonna get owned by the very thing she's protesting for. It's quite clear all you dumbasses are listening to the same old tired American talk radio/media who undoubtedly sprout the same old tired nonsense about everything that happens in that region. Give the charade a rest.

Really though, I think these guys already know that the US is trying to portray them as a bunch of fanaticals. They've probably weighed up the options and realised that being vilified for no reason by the US is a better option than living under this guy. Which says alot in itself.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5237|Cleveland, Ohio
wtf are you talking about?  please pull your head out of your ass and stop putting words in my mouth. 

if you think for one fucking second that islamic law could not take over once the power vacuum occurs, then you are terribly naive.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Mekstizzle wrote:

You guys are so retarded in your view that this is a terrorist/islamic uprising, you guys would believe anything as long as it helps you belittle other people in the ways you love doing so
Which group is most likely to take over for Mubarak? The hardliners in the Muslim Brotherhood. If they win the country turns into a Muslim Theocracy. The last Muslim Theocracy that gained power (in countries that are relevant anyway)? The Taliban in Afghanistan.

I'd love for Egyptians to win the democratic government they seem to desire but the reality is that the MB is the likely successor and the end result will be far worse than the current situation they are living under. This is why revolutions are always a roll of the dice with five sixths of the die being marked with a one. The odds of rolling snake eyes are astronomical.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

Mekstizzle wrote:

Give the charade a rest.
you asshole, if you keep characterizing me this way, you prove to be a hypocrite.

are you the same as every other Englishman? then fuck you, painting all Americans with the same broad stroke.
11 Bravo
Banned

Mekstizzle wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

i never said it was a terrorist uprising you fucking idiot
Don't patronise me, you guys are arguing all over the thread that this is some crazy allah Islamic uprising ...didn't you just say, right now...that this bitch is gonna get owned by the very thing she's protesting for. It's quite clear all you dumbasses are listening to the same old tired American talk radio/media who undoubtedly sprout the same old tired nonsense about everything that happens in that region. Give the charade a rest.

Really though, I think these guys already know that the US is trying to portray them as a bunch of fanaticals. They've probably weighed up the options and realised that being vilified for no reason by the US is a better option than living under this guy. Which says alot in itself.
oh and it was an muslim imam from london on cnn last night who stated that they want islamic law and islamic law will take over. 

it was a zomg american news person on a zomg american news network zomg defending the protestors.  matter of fact they all have been defending them.  so i dont know what the fuck you are talking about as usual.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-02-02 09:53:20)

11 Bravo
Banned
mek we really need of pic of you so we can photo shop a

"i have no idea what you are talking about so here is a pic of a mekbunny with a pancake on its head"
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

i saw anderson cooper reporting from Cairo last night, interviewing in country Americans that wouldn't board the voluntary evacuation planes that the state dept. is providing. he reports, there are 52,000 Americans living there with 462 electing to leave on flights yesterday.

one of those he interviewed, an english teacher said he felt safe even during the riots because the Egyptians could tell the difference between American people and American policy.

how does it feel to be stupider than Egyptian, mektard?
13rin
+977|6479

JohnG@lt wrote:

Which group is most likely to take over for Mubarak? The hardliners in the Muslim Brotherhood. If they win the country turns into a Muslim Theocracy. The last Muslim Theocracy that gained power (in countries that are relevant anyway)? The Taliban in Afghanistan.

I'd love for Egyptians to win the democratic government they seem to desire but the reality is that the MB is the likely successor and the end result will be far worse than the current situation they are living under. This is why revolutions are always a roll of the dice with five sixths of the die being marked with a one. The odds of rolling snake eyes are astronomical.
Sorry mek, but G@lt sums it up quite nicley and it is that simple.  You can't seem to comprehend it, not my problem.  Careful too, your hatered of the great satan is showing.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
13rin
+977|6479

burnzz wrote:

i saw anderson cooper reporting from Cairo last night, interviewing in country Americans that wouldn't board the voluntary evacuation planes that the state dept. is providing. he reports, there are 52,000 Americans living there with 462 electing to leave on flights yesterday.

one of those he interviewed, an english teacher said he felt safe even during the riots because the Egyptians could tell the difference between American people and American policy.

Use smaller words to make your point.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
11 Bravo
Banned

burnzz wrote:

i think mekbunny spends his time at that radical mosque in london
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DBBrinson1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Sorry mek, but G@lt sums it up quite nicley and it is that simple.  You can't seem to comprehend it, not my problem.  Careful too, your hatered of the great satan is showing.
I can't be assed to find it, but I had a conversation with FM about a year ago along these lines. He asked why I would not support a revolution here in America and I said it was because the odds of us ending up with the country he desired (essentially the same version as was founded in 1787) was extraordinarily unlikely. We got lucky.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Liberals Had Better Get Organized

By Francis Fukuyama

Recent events first in Tunisia and now in Egypt demonstrate that there is no Arab cultural exception to the broad desire for freedom around the world.

The act of self-immolation that set off these dramatic events was that of a Tunisian vegetable seller who had his cart repeatedly confiscated by the government and then was slapped and insulted by a policewoman when he went to complain. People want political rights because they want their governments to treat them with dignity, a wish that obviously reverberates throughout the Arab world.

The revolt does not seem to be driven by the poor, the marginalized or the religious, but by the middle-class—technologically savvy Tunisians and Egyptians who don't have opportunities for meaningful work or political participation. They want to join the rest of the world and not cut themselves off from it.

But why is the Arab world coming so late to a democracy party that Latin Americans, Eastern Europeans, Asians and Africans first started attending 20 years ago? Part of the answer is the deliberate strategy that authoritarian leaders like Hosni Mubarak have pursued—of gutting liberal opposition and permitting the Islamist Muslim Brotherhood to operate just enough to scare the United States and other Western backers.

This strategy worked on a series of American administrations that paid lip service to the need for democracy but were never willing to push their ally, for fear of empowering the Islamist opposition. Those chickens are now coming home to roost.

If Mr. Mubarak indeed leaves office and there is a clean break with his regime—meaning that longtime aides like Omar Suleiman, now the vice president, leave power too—then Egyptians' central task will be the unglamorous one of institution-building.

Democracy does not magically spring to life once the dictator is gone, or even after the first free and fair election has taken place. The color revolutions in Georgia, Ukraine and Kyrgystan, as well as the U.S. interventions in Afghanistan and Iraq, invariably disappointed their hopeful early backers by not producing effective democratic governance.

Facebook and Twitter are great at mobilizing flash mobs to bring down tyrants, but they are less useful in building political parties, forming coalitions, negotiating political programs or making officials honest.

At present, the best-organized forces in Egypt are the military and the Muslim Brotherhood. Egyptians who want a free and democratic future had better get busy organizing themselves if those groups are not to inherit the future.

Mr. Fukuyama, a senior fellow at Stanford, is author of "The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution" (forthcoming from Farrar, Straus and Giroux).
The Army Will Play a Crucial Role

By Ryan Crocker

However events play out on the streets of Cairo and Alexandria, there is no question that the Mubarak era is over. Egypt faces as fundamental a shift today as it did in 1952.

The Obama administration has rightly emphasized two words: "orderly transition." There must be transition—the old order cannot hold. But it must be orderly.

The crowds in Egypt's streets do not constitute a party or a coalition. There is no clear agenda beyond Mubarak's ouster and no established leader. Mohamed ElBaradei is far more respected and known outside of Egypt than he is within. For all of his distinction, he is no Vaclav Havel.

The Egyptian army will play a critical role, now and as a new political order emerges. U.S. defense leaders are in direct contact with Egyptian counterparts. The army has shown remarkable restraint, but each day that passes without the initiation of a viable political process increases the risk of violence that could destroy any prospects for a successful political strategy.

What might that strategy look like?

Mr. Mubarak has announced that he will not be a candidate in the September elections. He should now offer credible assurances that these elections will be fair, monitored by an independent election commission and international observers.

Second, he should initiate a broad political and economic reform dialogue involving all of Egypt's major political figures—including Mr. ElBaradei, the dissident Ayman Nour, the leaders of parties including the Muslim Brotherhood, and emerging figures in civil society. The results of that dialogue, which are likely to include constitutional changes, could be submitted to a public referendum or to a newly elected parliament.

Hopefully such steps would mean an end to the street demonstrations. Not only do those demonstrations contain the seeds of unchecked violence, but they are devastating to an already weak economy. Tourism will take months if not years to recover, and investor confidence is badly shaken if not shattered.

This will require hard choices by all parties, especially Mr. Mubarak. If his immediate departure is a sine qua non to end the street protests, he should be prepared to hand power to his new vice president and prime minister during the transition period, with the knowledge that this would represent the best chance to maintain what he has worked for these past 31 years—a stable Egypt.

Our adversaries, Iran and al Qaeda, will certainly attempt to take advantage of any prolonged disorder in Egypt. We should remember that al Qaeda's No. 2, Ayman al-Zawahiri, is an Egyptian who left the country during the government's successful repression of Egyptian Islamic Jihad in the 1990s.

As was clear then, Islamic Jihad and the Muslim Brotherhood are enemies, not partners. The Brotherhood can be accommodated in the political system. But al Qaeda and Islamic Jihad would like nothing better than to regain a foothold in Egypt, the largest Arab country, and destroy that system. That must not happen.

Mr. Crocker, the dean of Texas A&M's George Bush School of Government and Public Service, was U.S. ambassador to Pakistan from 2004 to 2007 and U.S. ambassador to Iraq from 2007 to 2009.
The Muslim Brotherhood Lacks a Khomeini Figure

By Maajid Nawaz

Having spent four years in an Egyptian prison for Islamist activism—where I shared a cell with some of the leaders of the current uprising—I view these events as far more than just an academic or policy interest. I abandoned Islamism years ago, but for me this is personal.

First, let's clarify the nature of this uprising: It is a spontaneous people's revolt. It was not planned by any political party or orchestrated by any ideologically aligned movement. Rather, it was instigated by the tired, angry urban young, and fast grew to become an all-Egyptian affair. The best revolutions are made of the very ingredients that cooked up this Egyptian storm: spontaneity, inclusiveness and persistence.

Egypt's old guard has long presented the world with a potent choice: Accept our police state or extremists will take over. Rooted in the old politics of colonialism, this dichotomy effectively deterred democracy in the Arab world. What the ongoing uprising shows is that this dichotomy is no longer valid. Real change is now possible, and the old analysis that it can come only through empowering Islamists has been shattered.

The new Egypt—led by but not restricted to the youth—has little time for the octogenarians of old, who include not only Hosni Mubarak but also Mohamed Badie, the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood and my former cellmate. Within the Brotherhood, Mr. Badie has recently been challenged by a reformist faction now led by the younger Abdul Monim Aboul Fatouh (another former cellmate of mine).

The leaderless nature of Egypt's street uprising raises the question of who will fill the vacuum after victory. Concerns about an Islamist takeover are valid. But that scenario is unlikely.

The Brotherhood realizes that this uprising wasn't theirs to begin with, and that the new Egypt—more patriotic, pluralistic and inclusive—would likely reject a Brotherhood attempt at usurpation. Unlike Amr Moussa (the head of the Arab League), Mohamed ElBaradei (the former international bureaucrat), and Ayman Nour (the liberal party leader and another former cellmate of mine), no one in the Brotherhood possesses the stature to unite the nation behind them. There is no Khomeini-like Islamist figure to hijack this revolution.

In a post-Mubarak Egypt, the Brotherhood would likely increase its presence in parliament, but no Brotherhood figure is likely to win the presidency or a key cabinet post. As the Brotherhood becomes an increasingly legitimate force, though, policy makers in Egypt and beyond should pressure it to abandon its remaining extremist positions, such as its insistence that only a Muslim male may lead the nation.

Mr. Nawaz is co-founder of the counterextremism think tank Quilliam and founder of the Khudi movement, which works to promote a democratic culture in Pakistan.
Egypt Doesn't Have a Democratic Culture

By Amr Bargisi

As of this writing, the contest between President Hosni Mubarak and hundreds of thousands of protesters remains a standoff. No one can predict what Egypt will look like in a few days—let alone the next few months and years. But from my vantage point in Cairo, I believe that the result will be one of two evils.

First, the 1789 case—a win for the revolutionaries, as the massive anger that sparked the uprising is channeled into a Jacobin regime that hunts down its enemies mercilessly. It is a grave mistake to assume that the rage of the masses will be placated by the ousting of the tyrant.

Last night, one demonstrator told two friends of mine in downtown Cairo's Tahrir Square that the next step will be to knock on the doors of suburban villas and ask the owners: Where did you get the money to afford these?

The second possibility is a reactionary scenario. If the ruling elite wins—meaning Mr. Mubarak's cronies, if not Mr. Mubarak himself—the country will be ruled by a contract between the state and the frightened middle classes to make sure no similar uprising ever happens again. This is an angle that has been totally missing from Western media coverage, as far as I can tell without Internet access.

There is another force in the streets of Cairo besides the demonstrators. Equal, if not in numbers then certainly in influence, are the thousands of young men standing all night in front of their houses and stores to protect them from looting.

Perhaps they share the anger of their peers in Tahrir Square, but their fear is much stronger than their rage. On Friday night, after the police disappeared, these young men got a taste of what could come: Hundreds of thugs roamed the streets, looting and burning. Then there are the inmates, reportedly several thousand, who have fled prison and are apparently still on the loose.

I believe the reactionary scenario is more likely. But regardless of my own opinion, what is clear is that Egypt lacks the sort of political culture that can sustain a liberal democratic regime. The superficiality of the opposition's demands is matched only by the absurdity of the regime's discourse. Without knowledge of the likes of Locke and Burke, Hamilton and Jefferson, my country is doomed to either unbridled radicalism or continued repression.

Mr. Bargisi, a former Bartley fellow at the Journal, is a senior partner with the Egyptian Union of Liberal Youth. Due to lack of Internet service, he dictated his comments by phone.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … inion_main

Four different perspectives.
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

You seem to be pulling all of that out of your ass. From them being hardliners (contrary to what I've seen reported) to saying that the country turns into a Muslim Theocracy to then saying that it results in the Taliban. I mean the stupid doesn't seem to end.

I'll admit that these guys are probably gonna end up being more Islamic, its always generally a bad thing when any country becomes less secular. But you guys just take this shit to a whole different level...it's just dumb.

But it's not a mindset I'm not surprised of, nor is it something that I'm surprised its being propagated in the usual areas of the world.

Yeah, now come the comments about me being the terrorist. It always comes faster than when Dilbert or Poe say shit. Hmm wonder why.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

You seem to be pulling all of that out of your ass. From them being hardliners (contrary to what I've seen reported) to saying that the country turns into a Muslim Theocracy to then saying that it results in the Taliban. I mean the stupid doesn't seem to end.

I'll admit that these guys are probably gonna end up being more Islamic, its always generally a bad thing when any country becomes less secular. But you guys just take this shit to a whole different level...it's just dumb.

But it's not a mindset I'm not surprised of, nor is it something that I'm surprised its being propagated in the usual areas of the world.

Yeah, now come the comments about me being the terrorist. It always comes faster than when Dilbert or Poe say shit. Hmm wonder why.
I never said it was certain. It's just astronomically more likely than your fluffy bunny peaceful march to democracy line of thought is. For every one peaceful transition like America, there are one hundred "Reign of Terrors" like France experienced.
-Frederick Bastiat
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال

wtf?
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
13rin
+977|6479
Soooo.. Who brought the camels, pray tell?

@Meklim
When the majority of the populous wants shira law imposed and some 30% are illiterate...  Ya, say hello to extremism.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I never said it was certain. It's just astronomically more likely than your fluffy bunny peaceful march to democracy line of thought is. For every one peaceful transition like America, there are one hundred "Reign of Terrors" like France experienced.
America was not a peaceful transition. Stop hyping yourself. You had a war of independence. Then you had a civil war less than a century later. Also, massive expansion and some genocide to boot....

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Soooo.. Who brought the camels, pray tell?
The real question is where were the camels up until now

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2011-02-02 11:43:06)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

America was not a peaceful transition. Stop hyping yourself. You had a war of independence. Then you had a civil war less than a century later. Also, massive expansion and some genocide to boot....
You should perhaps read up on American history...

We had a war of independence yes. Followed by a period of weak government rule under the Articles of Confederation. This was then replaced peacefully with the Constitution and we elected a president democratically. The transition from British Monarchial rule to Federal Republic was as peaceful as one could ever hope to expect.

The civil war that happened 84 years later is irrelevant, so is your mentioning of genocide. Kudos for the effort though.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

Camels appear to have been "acquired" from a camel riding tourist attraction.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5750|شمال

Ilocano wrote:

Camels appear to have been "acquired" from a camel riding tourist attraction.
thats exactly what i thought when i saw it
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Mekstizzle
WALKER

JohnG@lt wrote:

The transition from British Monarchial rule to Federal Republic was as peaceful as one could ever hope to expect.
Really? I don't think a full blown war is peaceful. There are other examples out there of countries doing a transition without a war at all. In fact, so far...Egypt seem to be doing it far more peacefully than the US did, if you want to look at it in that way.

You know...all this shit is bullshit, I wouldn't like to see Egypt go down the Sharia route either. But it's not like that's gonna be a formality in the first place. Actually Egypt probably already has quite alot of Islamic shit in its system. Just like Saudi Arabia, just that it's on 'friendly terms' so all of that is conveniently ignored by the usual suspects. So that argument hardly flies either...

I just think it's always so dumb when Americans get pissy about other countries trying to move forward, still stuck in the mindset that if anything happens. The US should be the one to do it, control it, bomb it (or cause it) etc.... seem to be unable to handle something that "wasn't supposed to happen"
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

The transition from British Monarchial rule to Federal Republic was as peaceful as one could ever hope to expect.
Really? I don't think a full blown war is peaceful. There are other examples out there of countries doing a transition without a war at all. In fact, so far...Egypt seem to be doing it far more peacefully than the US did, if you want to look at it in that way.

You know...all this shit is bullshit, I wouldn't like to see Egypt go down the Sharia route either. But it's not like that's gonna be a formality in the first place. Actually Egypt probably already has quite alot of Islamic shit in its system. Just like Saudi Arabia, just that it's on 'friendly terms' so all of that is conveniently ignored by the usual suspects. So that argument hardly flies either...

I just think it's always so dumb when Americans get pissy about other countries trying to move forward, still stuck in the mindset that if anything happens. The US should be the one to do it, control it, bomb it (or cause it) etc.... seem to be unable to handle something that "wasn't supposed to happen"
You've got some serious blinders on. There hasn't been a single American in this thread advocating any of that. It's got nothing to do with us and we couldn't care less.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Mekstizzle wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

It wasn't a "full blown war." Most Americans at the time didn't give a fuck about the revolutionary war. The brits lost since htey couldnt keep up the support of the populous and used Hessian "mercs" (King George was of Hessian blood so not really mercs i guess). Brits burned down villages and sure there were a lot of "patriots" who terrorised loyalist supporters but it wasn't necessarily a full blown war. Civil War was not even about slavery, it was more about state rights.

Learn USH mekbunny.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

https://img338.imageshack.us/img338/705/cairoo.jpg
CNN’s Anderson Cooper has been attacked while reporting for the network in Egypt. The anchor, who’s been reporting nearly nonstop since the weekend, described the attack to viewers this morning shortly after a Twitter report on the incident from CNN’s Steve Brusk, who said Cooper had been “punched 10 times in the head as pro-Mubarak mob surrounded him and his crew trying to cover demonstration.”

Cooper, resuming his live coverage, looked fine and unshaken.
ABC’s Christiane Amanpour was among the journalists targeted by pro-government demonstrators in Cairo today (CNN’s Anderson Cooper was attacked and punched in the most physical of the confrontations).

Amanpour was riding in a car with her ABC crew after attempting to record protesters on the bridge into Tahrir Square. As Amanpour described the attack:

An angry mob surrounded us and chased us into the car shouting that they hate America. They kicked in the car doors and broke our windshield as we drove away.

As Amanpour reports, the sudden increase in violence–including automatic gunfire and molotov cocktails being thrown into the crowd–has sent ripples of panic through the city. “The overwhelming feeling on the street is one of fear, of how this is now going to go. If Mubarak leaves precipitously, there could be real chaos.”

Amanpour and crew were unhurt. The This Week host leads a group of ABC journalists including World News weekend anchor David Muir, who was in the crowds as protesters were pulled from horseback and beaten.
Amanpour interviewed my friend's husband yesterday

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard