GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6415|Finland

Since its pretty clear here won't be any chatz about the game, I go find a place where is.

Seriously, make a thread WoW vs. ALL and spare this topic.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
how are we not discussing the game? we're discussing classes in the game and their function and descriptive roles.

since when was bf2s the beacon of good forum discussion anyway? on topic all the time... right?

jesus don't get your panties in a fucking twist. it's only the beta and you're already acting like a little fangirl.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Brasso
+1,549|6631

War Man wrote:

Brasso wrote:

War Man wrote:

Sure you can have variations of what you want in that, but in RIFT you can have even more variety. Want to be an archer class that teleports a 15-30 meters away, ya got it. Want to be a healer and a pet guy(warlocks don't count as they don't have healing spells just soulstones), ya got it. Want to be a fucking mage warrior tank who fire fireballs at people, ya got it. Want to be a mage, but want some healing abilities ya got. Want to be a rogue yet want to be a tank too, ya got it. I could go on and on of what you can do in this game as far as classes. Oh and can you restart your talents if you want incase you are displeased by how you spent them or want to try something new?
cool so i never have to level an alt
Um, you still need to level up if you want some of the cooler abilities of a soul.
you dont know what an alt means do you

i'm saying i can have one character that does everything.  boring.

War Man wrote:

Also you didn't answer my question, can you reset your spent talent points?
yes

Last edited by Brasso (2011-01-13 08:45:44)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
can someone tl;dr the 'rift' mechanic for me?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6344

FatherTed wrote:

can someone tl;dr the 'rift' mechanic for me?
Rift opens randomly (some are fixed I think), people form group, kick demon heads in, get loots.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
so it's basically a big gimmick for an instance portal... which every mmo has had... forever...

what a unique selling point!

Last edited by Uzique (2011-01-13 09:33:46)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6415|Finland

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
combat looks detached and wooden... unresponsive and not very fluid... that's the main problem with MMO's i find.

age of conan was pretty interesting but the gimmick-mechanic didn't work at all in player-versus-player.

what's it like to actually play, movement/combat wise? it needs to feel in-touch and intuitive...
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6344

Uzique wrote:

so it's basically a big gimmick for an instance portal... which every mmo has had... forever...

Yeah, but due to the radomness it adds a different dynamic to the game. The soul system plays into that as it is supposed to make rallying strangers to raid a portal more attractive. Or so I read.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5997|Belgium
So when is the next beta event for this game ?
Would like to see the gameplay with my own eyes
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6415|Finland

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

So when is the next beta event for this game ?
Would like to see the gameplay with my own eyes
http://www.riftgame.com/en/beta/schedul … cended.php
Hallvard
+262|6523|North Norway

Brasso wrote:

i'm saying i can have one character that does everything.  boring.
No, You are stuck within the class you choose, Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, Mage. Then you get 'souls', sub classes that offer a huge variety of different playstyles and roles. You can equip 3 at a time. And you are limited to your classes souls,
Warrior souls are ofc warrior based, but some are tank, some are dps, some are support. Mostly melee. Has the best tank souls.
Rogues have assassin, avoidability-tank, dps and archery souls. Has the best melee burst damage and only souls that puts the ranged weapons (bows and guns) to proper use.
Clerics have healer, melee dps, ranged dps, support and survivability souls. Has the best healer and support souls.
Mages have nuker, support, cc, healer. Has the best cc and pet user souls.

All classes can do different things, but they can't do everything perfect. Warriors can't heal others, some soul(s) might get a skill that heals party, but not by much.
Mages can't tank, but some souls like necromancer allows for increased survivability.

But no matter what class and souls you use. Even the ones the whiners call op. Have major strengths and weaknesses.

Uzique wrote:

Not instanced. Rifts open up in the world and spew out enemies. Left alone, those enemies start roaming the land in bands and seting up strongholds. Attacking villages and friendly outposts.
Invading forces from different types of Rifts will also fight if they run into eachother.
Defeating the enemies at the rift and drawing out their leaders or destroying stuff they make to hold rifts open will close the rift
Brasso
+1,549|6631

souls are like talent trees right?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
it's all the same stuff renamed for different intellectual property... has been since the earliest MMO. uninteresting.

the rifts thing sounds neat, though. hope it works well.
Hallvard
+262|6523|North Norway

Brasso wrote:

souls are like talent trees right?
yes and no.

Each soul is a like a talent tree you can equip. You have 3 on at a time per build. And you can have up to 4 builds you can change between.
Each class has 8 possible souls to choose from.

When you start the game you choose your class, then you get your first soul in the first quest in the tutorial... By end of tut you have 3 souls.
When you get out into the game and play for a while (think it was at level 10 or 15), you can get quests to gain the rest of the souls for your class from various trainers.

When just looking at the basics of the souls. It looks like just "talent trees with a different name"... But it is more of a "talent trees evolved."

Each beta event pushes the level you can get to a little further and opens up new areas. I think that by the last beta even, we will reach the level cap of 50 and all areas will be open.
They really want to make Rift launch as polished as possible, wich is why they do the beta bit by bit. A few levels, a new region for each faction and a new feature or 2 added per event.
A launch full of bugs and problems has killed most mmos.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6153|what

I'll stick to Runescape, thank you.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Hallvard
+262|6523|North Norway

you do that
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6153|what

don't mess with me, i've a level 88 and have dragon armour.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6623|Little Bentcock
126, bitch

i kid.
Hallvard
+262|6523|North Norway

damn... I'm just 75 or something like that i think...
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6714|Purplicious Wisconsin
Paladin has a heal ability, it can instantly restore any teammate or yourself to full health but the downside is it has a 20 minute cooldown, rogue's healing class is the bard which is the buffer class for rogue as well.

Here, click this. This is how the class system works and also shows the abilities of each of the souls
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14031925/rift/index.html?#

Uzique wrote:

it's all the same stuff renamed for different intellectual property... has been since the earliest MMO. uninteresting.

Yeah, sometimes annoying when the monster attack a village and kill the guy you go to to complete a quest, so you have to wait for the fucker to respawn because he thought trying to be a hero was cool.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Hallvard
+262|6523|North Norway

War Man wrote:

Paladin has a heal ability, it can instantly restore any teammate or yourself to full health but the downside is it has a 20 minute cooldown, rogue's healing class is the bard which is the buffer class for rogue as well.
Ah, right, never tried those 2. Was suspecting them to have a soul with at least some skills like that.

Yeah, sometimes annoying when the monster attack a village and kill the guy you go to to complete a quest, so you have to wait for the fucker to respawn because he thought trying to be a hero was cool.
As defiant, there's a small hut on a beach to the south where I had to hand in a quest... I went there just to find it overrun with monsters from the water plane. I managed to defeat them through being extremely careful and through a looong boring fight. I handed in the quest I had, and got another one in the area. I went and did that one and when I got back, 2 guardian invasions at once came and occupied the place >.<

I played mostly as a cleric during last beta. With Justicar/Shaman/Druid
Playing the "op" build is so much fun in pvp

But as soon as I fought someone who hadn't just slammed a couple of souls randomly together, and who knew what they needed to do to beat my build, I didn't stand a chance.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6714|Purplicious Wisconsin

Hallvard wrote:

As defiant, there's a small hut on a beach to the south where I had to hand in a quest... I went there just to find it overrun with monsters from the water plane. I managed to defeat them through being extremely careful and through a looong boring fight. I handed in the quest I had, and got another one in the area. I went and did that one and when I got back, 2 guardian invasions at once came and occupied the place >.<

I played mostly as a cleric during last beta. With Justicar/Shaman/Druid
Playing the "op" build is so much fun in pvp

But as soon as I fought someone who hadn't just slammed a couple of souls randomly together, and who knew what they needed to do to beat my build, I didn't stand a chance.
Lol, that sucks.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5037|Massachusetts, USA

War Man wrote:

Here, click this. This is how the class system works and also shows the abilities of each of the souls

Uzique wrote:

So they copied Lay on Hands from WoW, nice.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6469

UnkleRukus wrote:

War Man wrote:

Uzique wrote:

So they copied Lay on Hands from WoW, nice.
And WoW copied that from D&D or some shit. It's all been done before.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard