Stimey
­
+786|6122|Ontario | Canada
https://chztotsandgiggles.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/0ad2560b-dbb7-450a-a037-bef7051c82cb.jpg
­
­
­
­
­
­
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6634

Album is pretty shit, waaaaay overhyped.
only two tracks i liked were 'lord, lord, lord' (mos def's verse was dope), and 'the joy' due to pete rock's production.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6328|England

Gooners wrote:

Album is pretty shit, waaaaay overhyped.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
breaking news: kanye west's album is receiving inflationary reviews and reports! reception is rumoured to be... hyped!

more at 11
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6634

lol his whole 'good friday' ploy over did it.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6441|Brisbane, Australia

It was worth this horrible album being released for the enjoyment I got from this thread.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
i think this sums up this thread pretty well
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

so i've listened to it about 5 times now

conclusion: self-indulgent wankery. it's SO self-indulgent. it's tackier than rococo. more self-loving than a Prince name-change.

it's just too much; the only way i can see someone loving this album is if they're obsessed by the cult of celebrity

the lyrics are laughable. the guest appearance list reads like a whos-who of superficial stardom. the production is predictable, overdone and absolutely nothing new. this album's main strength and the only point on which it approaches 'perfection' is in how well it just encapsulates the pop industry today. it's like kanye took everything about pop culture, quadruple distilled it and then shat out this manufactured, identikit record. just like 808's before it, it's nothing more than a postcard-snapshot of music trends today. what exactly does it do new? what's fresh about it? what do the songs and lyrics have to say, other than to just revel in his own self and his own ego? it's all bullshit.

of course the songs are 'listenable'- some are even 'catchy', i suppose. but with the amount of money and support that was pumped into it, you'd expect nothing less. it would be an utterly catastrophic failure if it was anything less, in fact. i suppose you could find this album 'good' if you're just happy for that: 'good'ness. in art i don't think there's anything applaudable in just being 'good' or 'satisfactory'. it's just a product made for the lowest common denominator and for the cash-in. but then again, i'm sounding like kanye now: this observation is nothing new. everything is so tired.
I do partly like it because of that though. The self indulgence and douchebaggery of the album makes it a better listen than worse, in my opinion. He is a douchebag and he knows it, and so does everybody else, which is why the album is more acceptable because what he says is just ridiculous.

It's his best album, without a doubt, but greatest album of the decade? No thanks.

I think it's a decent album, especially in comparison with some pop releases this year,  but nothing that can trump the likes of Fuck Buttons (yeah yeah, they were sooo '09), Deerhunter, Flying Lotus, The National and Gorillaz.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of opinion, and there's no point trying to argue for or against it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

Saying it's Kanye's best album is like saying "I just took the nicest smelling shit."  It doesn't matter...it still smells like shit.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Saying it's Kanye's best album is like saying "I just took the nicest smelling shit."  It doesn't matter...it still smells like shit.
It's an opinion, Ken
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Zimmer wrote:

Uzique wrote:

so i've listened to it about 5 times now

conclusion: self-indulgent wankery. it's SO self-indulgent. it's tackier than rococo. more self-loving than a Prince name-change.

it's just too much; the only way i can see someone loving this album is if they're obsessed by the cult of celebrity

the lyrics are laughable. the guest appearance list reads like a whos-who of superficial stardom. the production is predictable, overdone and absolutely nothing new. this album's main strength and the only point on which it approaches 'perfection' is in how well it just encapsulates the pop industry today. it's like kanye took everything about pop culture, quadruple distilled it and then shat out this manufactured, identikit record. just like 808's before it, it's nothing more than a postcard-snapshot of music trends today. what exactly does it do new? what's fresh about it? what do the songs and lyrics have to say, other than to just revel in his own self and his own ego? it's all bullshit.

of course the songs are 'listenable'- some are even 'catchy', i suppose. but with the amount of money and support that was pumped into it, you'd expect nothing less. it would be an utterly catastrophic failure if it was anything less, in fact. i suppose you could find this album 'good' if you're just happy for that: 'good'ness. in art i don't think there's anything applaudable in just being 'good' or 'satisfactory'. it's just a product made for the lowest common denominator and for the cash-in. but then again, i'm sounding like kanye now: this observation is nothing new. everything is so tired.
I do partly like it because of that though. The self indulgence and douchebaggery of the album makes it a better listen than worse, in my opinion. He is a douchebag and he knows it, and so does everybody else, which is why the album is more acceptable because what he says is just ridiculous.

It's his best album, without a doubt, but greatest album of the decade? No thanks.

I think it's a decent album, especially in comparison with some pop releases this year,  but nothing that can trump the likes of Fuck Buttons (yeah yeah, they were sooo '09), Deerhunter, Flying Lotus, The National and Gorillaz.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of opinion, and there's no point trying to argue for or against it.
you lost all credibility when you name dropped fuc buttons, deerhunter etc.

is your 'taste' the pitchfork yardstick or something? why are you comparing rap to indie and electronica? what's the point?

"yeah elton john is alright and all but he has nothing on coltrane" <--- STUPID STATEMENT IS STUPID

zimmer you seem altogether too old to be such a fickle faggot about music
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
also i agree that the mona lisa is a piece of shit and that's just my opinion which is fine because all art is just like, your opinion, maaan
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

you lost all credibility when you name dropped fuc buttons, deerhunter etc.

is your 'taste' the pitchfork yardstick or something? why are you comparing rap to indie and electronica? what's the point?

"yeah elton john is alright and all but he has nothing on coltrane" <--- STUPID STATEMENT IS STUPID

zimmer you seem altogether too old to be such a fickle faggot about music
Why do you suddenly jump to a conclusion on where I got my music from?

Fuck Buttons was actually recommended by Liquidat0r, I've been listening to Deerhunter since Cryptograms, I got Flying Lotus from YOUR last.fm and I've been listening to The National since Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers was released (I got the CD as a present from my cousin).

Please Uzique, stop jumping to conclusions. In no way have I bashed your opinion or said you were wrong.

Now, that I read Pitchfork and get a different opinion on stuff? Yeah sure, but that I take what they say as word of God? Fuck no. They've gotten many an album rating wrong.

What I was merely saying is that as an overall statement of "album of the decade" it's far from right and that there are other albums from other genres that are better overall. I'm not saying they should be mashed together, but I'm putting my opinion across.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
im not jumping to conclusions... im just wondering why you're name-dropping the posterchild acts of the last 2 years in a comparison.

they're not rap music. so where's the common point of reference? saying 'fuck buttons > kanye' IS just a matter of subjective opinion

comparing good music to bad rap music, however, is not
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6629|UK
I think any lists of top albums (encompassing all genres) of the year/decade will be entirely subjective. I wouldn't expect anything else. You could get closer to a unanimous decision by breaking it down into groups smaller than genres, I think. Even a top 10 of electronica would still be massively subjective because of the variety within the electronica umbrella, no?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

I think he's more arguing that he's comparing pop music to indie and electronica.  You wouldn't expect someone to say, "Well that Lil Wayne sure is no Billie Holliday!"  It's just a bizarre comparison.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6629|UK
Rereading Zimmer's wording I see your point.

Zimmer wrote:

... but nothing that can trump the likes of ...
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6656

This whole thing is massively laughable. Daft Punk has that Tron soundtrack out. Any other music is irrelevant, yes, even Kanye.
Best of 2010: #1 Daft Punk /list
Best of the decade: #1 Daft Punk /list
/thread
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6629|UK
u b trollin
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5038|Massachusetts, USA
I think Justin Bieber has the album of the year TBH. He's no Rusko though.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6656

UnkleRukus wrote:

I think Justin Bieber has the album of the year TBH. He's no Lady Gaga though.
Sturgeon
+488|4943|Flintshire

mtb0minime wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

I think Justin Bieber has the album of the year TBH. He's no Chacarron though.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6634

Zimmer wrote:

First of all, no.

secondly, this album was by far not his best... college dropout/graduation/late registration were much, much better.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
yeah i actually like the 3 albums that gooners listed above...

AW HECKEY NAW THAT BOY IS RAW

kanye used to have a style and used to put some talent out there. he wasn't brilliant, but he did his thing.

his last few albums have just been manufactured shite, though. i know it's a poor cliche but it's just the truth.

and yes i was arguing against the bizarre-o cross-genre comparison. what's the common reference? there isn't one.
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6743

Didn't mind this album.

It wasn't amazing, but it was certainly a step up from 808's, which was just vomit imo.
His other three album's are definitely better.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard