Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England
This is something of a brag post, I'm just incredibly excited today since I checked my etrade account for the first time in two weeks...

I'm up 25.28% since June and was wondering if anyone else has investments and how they've done.

Portfolio is:
BP PLC +30.94%
Hornbeck Offshore Services +30.13%
Coca Cola +19.69%
Halliburton +17.40%
GLTR precious metal basket +5.56% (two week old IPO)
Berkshire Hathaway (B) +3.46%

I'm dancing right now
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5472
25.5% in 5 months? SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIET BOY. gj JG
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|5522|UK
no wonder, you invested in BP at their lowest in years. Their shares have skyrocketed since then. Pretty good on the others though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England

Vilham wrote:

no wonder, you invested in BP at their lowest in years. Their shares have skyrocketed since then. Pretty good on the others though.
Hornbeck was at 50% yesterday Lost $2 today.

Last edited by [email protected] (2010-11-04 09:43:33)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|5522|UK
Wow. Who are Hornbeck?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|5293|Long Island, New York
Nice. Smart investing in BP, too. Killing the Gulf's ocean life won't stop them!

How many shares of each?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England

Vilham wrote:

Wow. Who are Hornbeck?
My brothers company. They work in the Gulf of Mexico. Supply ships for the oil rigs.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England

Poseidon wrote:

Nice. Smart investing in BP, too. Killing the Gulf's ocean life won't stop them!

How many shares of each?
$4000 worth for each. This is just me getting my feet wet prior to graduation.

So...
Share/Symbol/Buy Price

120 of BP ($33.13)
246 of HOS ($16.23)
76 of KO ($52.16)
143 of HAL ($27.93)
52 of GLTR ($76.32)
and
50 of BRK.B ($79.29)

Last edited by [email protected] (2010-11-04 09:51:21)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|5293|Long Island, New York
Nice. Worth the risk if you have that kind of side cash, definitely.

I personally want to (there's an economics professor here who's worth $10M and says if you do it wisely and correctly, you'll be a very happy person...kind of took it to heart) but won't until I have a stable, at least midrange job.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England

Poseidon wrote:

Nice. Worth the risk if you have that kind of side cash, definitely.

I personally want to (there's an economics professor here who's worth $10M and says if you do it wisely and correctly, you'll be a very happy person...kind of took it to heart) but won't until I have a stable, at least midrange job.
The sooner you start the better. Compound interest adds up rapidly.

The advice I live by is something Warren Buffett said in a book of his. Treat investment like you have a punch card with a limited number of punches available. Basically, instead of throwing darts at a dart board and coming up with stocks in that way, do your homework first. Day trading is asinine, the only way to make real money is to hold long term.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|5293|Long Island, New York

[email protected] wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Nice. Worth the risk if you have that kind of side cash, definitely.

I personally want to (there's an economics professor here who's worth $10M and says if you do it wisely and correctly, you'll be a very happy person...kind of took it to heart) but won't until I have a stable, at least midrange job.
The sooner you start the better. Compound interest adds up rapidly.

The advice I live by is something Warren Buffett said in a book of his. Treat investment like you have a punch card with a limited number of punches available. Basically, instead of throwing darts at a dart board and coming up with stocks in that way, do your homework first. Day trading is asinine, the only way to make real money is to hold long term.
And to invest in a company that's been around for ages (BP, Toyota) and it's extremely doubtful they'll go bankrupt, but is currently in a lull. Amirite?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England

Poseidon wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Nice. Worth the risk if you have that kind of side cash, definitely.

I personally want to (there's an economics professor here who's worth $10M and says if you do it wisely and correctly, you'll be a very happy person...kind of took it to heart) but won't until I have a stable, at least midrange job.
The sooner you start the better. Compound interest adds up rapidly.

The advice I live by is something Warren Buffett said in a book of his. Treat investment like you have a punch card with a limited number of punches available. Basically, instead of throwing darts at a dart board and coming up with stocks in that way, do your homework first. Day trading is asinine, the only way to make real money is to hold long term.
And to invest in a company that's been around for ages (BP, Toyota) and it's extremely doubtful they'll go bankrupt, but is currently in a lull. Amirite?
Absolutely the safest investment, yeah. Neither Japan nor the UK would ever let either company default.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|5337|SE London

I bought my Apple stocks for less than $200 a few months ago. They're up an awful lot. $318 now.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England

Bertster7 wrote:

I bought my Apple stocks for less than $200 a few months ago. They're up an awful lot. $318 now.
I debated and ultimately decided tech stocks are too volatile to be safe investments. They become obsolete in a hurry if they don't keep up at the absolute cutting edge: See Microsoft.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|5337|SE London

[email protected] wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I bought my Apple stocks for less than $200 a few months ago. They're up an awful lot. $318 now.
I debated and ultimately decided tech stocks are too volatile to be safe investments. They become obsolete in a hurry if they don't keep up at the absolute cutting edge: See Microsoft.
I get all mine through purchase programs at work. Short to mid-term I can't lose.

All the guys I know who were sinking 50% of their salary into them when they were $10 drive Ferraris and Aston Martins now....

Anyway, anything Steve Jobs touches turns to gold: See every company he's ever had any involvement with.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5226
i think when i graduate one of my graduation presents is going to be a size-able amount of money for investment

better do my homework
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England

Bertster7 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I bought my Apple stocks for less than $200 a few months ago. They're up an awful lot. $318 now.
I debated and ultimately decided tech stocks are too volatile to be safe investments. They become obsolete in a hurry if they don't keep up at the absolute cutting edge: See Microsoft.
I get all mine through purchase programs at work. Short to mid-term I can't lose.

All the guys I know who were sinking 50% of their salary into them when they were $10 drive Ferraris and Aston Martins now....

Anyway, anything Steve Jobs touches turns to gold: See every company he's ever had any involvement with.
Right, but they're not at $10 anymore and IPOs are few and far between. If I had been investing during the tech boom I would've jumped in with both feet. As it is now, we've had a decade to reflect and see that most of them were losing bets.

I'm trying to decide what I want to do when I have cash on hand and no artificially down industry to invest in. Either a High Yield fund or options probably.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5472

Bertster7 wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I bought my Apple stocks for less than $200 a few months ago. They're up an awful lot. $318 now.
I debated and ultimately decided tech stocks are too volatile to be safe investments. They become obsolete in a hurry if they don't keep up at the absolute cutting edge: See Microsoft.
I get all mine through purchase programs at work. Short to mid-term I can't lose.

All the guys I know who were sinking 50% of their salary into them when they were $10 drive Ferraris and Aston Martins now....

Anyway, anything Steve Jobs touches turns to gold: See every company he's ever had any involvement with.
until 4chan makes a fake story about him having cancer

if steve jobs ever leaves apple theres gonna be huge problems.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England

Uzique wrote:

i think when i graduate one of my graduation presents is going to be a size-able amount of money for investment

better do my homework
Fisher and Graham are the classics in investment theory if you want a place to start.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5226

[email protected] wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i think when i graduate one of my graduation presents is going to be a size-able amount of money for investment

better do my homework
Fisher and Graham are the classics in investment theory if you want a place to start.
ty will wish-list it in my personal box
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,842|5527|USA

Maybe I should have invested in Coca-Cola, beings I've abandoned Pepsi for Coke.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England
Ended the day up another 1.5% 26.71% now.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,709|4862|eXtreme to the maX
Sweet! Are you going to sell or hold?
Sell half is sometimes a good option.

I'm in for long term growth and dividend income.
Epstein didn't kill himself
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4114|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Sweet! Are you going to sell or hold?
Sell half is sometimes a good option.

I'm in for long term growth and dividend income.
Holding long term. Selling half, I would get hit with short term capital gains taxes.

Dividends are not something I want. I'd rather they pump the money into a repurchase.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2020 Jeff Minard