Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England

Trotskygrad wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

You remember in War of the Worlds the Aliens come but eventually they are doomed because of bacteria, that's bullshit. How would the bacteria know what to do with an Alien organism, it's something that it would have never come cross before, something entirely different with an entirely different structure. It would just sit there with a question mark on its face.

People think if Humans visited an Alien planet or vice-versa that it would be like when Europeans colonised the Americas, it wouldn't be like that at all.

I was reading about this on the internoobs recently.
bacteria evolve man... aliens would be like food for them...
Bacteria are still built to tackle and adapt to the style of life we find on Earth, it would take alot for them to be able to adapt themselves to something entirely different. Even if Alien life is found to be carbon based and all that. It would still be way too different for bacteria and viruses to be able to adapt in any respectable timeframe. Think about how hard it is for them to make the jump from plants to animals. Or plants and other types plants. Or Scots and other Scots. Now scale that up to Earth life vs Alien life.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6689|Disaster Free Zone

Ultrafunkula wrote:

DonFck wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

The only planet with life is Earth.
I'm sure you can prove this, given that there is so much determination and gusto in your statement.
He doesn't have to. God told some yokel to write that in a book and that's proof enough, amirite?
Which book?

I haven't heard of any such writings.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6573|Area 51
This is not very new right? Saw this a while back on discovery already. Awesome nonetheless.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6675

RDMC wrote:

This is not very new right? Saw this a while back on discovery already. Awesome nonetheless.
Science thread.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6115|Birmingham, UK

Mekstizzle wrote:

You remember in War of the Worlds the Aliens come but eventually they are doomed because of bacteria, that's bullshit. How would the bacteria know what to do with an Alien organism, it's something that it would have never come cross before, something entirely different with an entirely different structure. It would just sit there with a question mark on its face.

People think if Humans visited an Alien planet or vice-versa that it would be like when Europeans colonised the Americas, it wouldn't be like that at all.

you've obviously never watched Mars Attacks!
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5642|Southern California

RDMC wrote:

You're probably thinking of Gilese 581 b or c

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I hate you so damn much.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6745|Oxferd Ohire

-MetaL* wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I hate you so damn much.
lol
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6576|Mountains of NC

hop in some space ship and take a cruise for a couple of years ............ land in this new awsm planet

https://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/ozone-layer-2.jpg

Welcome, Home
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Defiance
+438|6679

Mekstizzle wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Bacteria are still built to tackle and adapt to the style of life we find on Earth, it would take alot for them to be able to adapt themselves to something entirely different. Even if Alien life is found to be carbon based and all that. It would still be way too different for bacteria and viruses to be able to adapt in any respectable timeframe. Think about how hard it is for them to make the jump from plants to animals. Or plants and other types plants. Or Scots and other Scots. Now scale that up to Earth life vs Alien life.
For all we know, alien biology could be very similar to our own. It's all up to chance whether their biology permits the growth of bacteria found on this planet. Regardless, if we were exploring a new planet, it would be our responsibility to protect from that and so should 'they.'
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5482|Ventura, California

Ultrafunkula wrote:

DonFck wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I'm sure you can prove this, given that there is so much determination and gusto in your statement.
He doesn't have to. God told some yokel to write that in a book and that's proof enough, amirite?
urite

FYI, just because it says there's only life on Earth, doesn't mean I wouldn't think it's freaking cool if we had some neighbors.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
jord
+2,382|6686|The North, beyond the wall.
Shifty please, please stop trolling.
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5018|Ontario, Canada
That planet could be host to other sentient creatures, but, would we want to meet them?

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Of course

We'll probably discover aliens in the form of archaea bacteria somewhere in our vicinity before we ever reach that planet.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5969|Places 'n such
https://images.chemistdirect.co.uk/images/productimages/large/dettol_anti-bacterial_multi-action_cleaner_152407.jpg

Kills 99% of bacteria.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5018|Ontario, Canada

presidentsheep wrote:

http://images.chemistdirect.co.uk/image … 152407.jpg

Kills 99% of bacteria.
Except windexophiles!
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5492|Bolingbrook, Illinois

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

DonFck wrote:

urite

FYI, just because it says there's only life on Earth, doesn't mean I wouldn't think it's freaking cool if we had some neighbors.
im pretty sure the bible never says that.  go preach about your modified christian religion somewhere else

FYI:

Jesuit Father Jose Funes, director of the Vatican Observatory, said Christians should consider alien life as an "extraterrestrial brother" and a part of God's creation.
Source

gtfo shifty
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6482|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Said it before and I say it again.

Debating with a highly religious person is like playing chess with a pigeon. The birds knocks down all the pieces, shits on the board and flies home to brag about how he won.

It's pointless. They're so brainwashed with their stuff that they refuse to even consider otherwise even if the proof is sitting right there in front of them. Earth 10k years old... pff... I'm going to take a morning dump.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6161|what

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

DonFck wrote:

urite

If the only life is on Earth, but God exists and is real, where is He?

Surely God is alive... right? Must exist somewhere, right?

Doesn't the all life in the universe in on Earth contradict the point that God exists? Unless God is on Earth, right?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

For the sake of argument, say that a great part of the Bible is true. What it doesn't tell us about God and the mysteries of heaven is enormous, and admitted. Thus, if God created Earth and the universe he probably has other experiments running at the same time. We're probably filed under 'volatile contagion.'
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6573|Area 51

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Said it before and I say it again.

Debating with a highly religious person is like playing chess with a pigeon. The birds knocks down all the pieces, shits on the board and flies home to brag about how he won.
Bwhahahahaha
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England

Defiance wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

For all we know, alien biology could be very similar to our own. It's all up to chance whether their biology permits the growth of bacteria found on this planet. Regardless, if we were exploring a new planet, it would be our responsibility to protect from that and so should 'they.'
Considering the odds of how many planets there are with potential life forms in the universe, for us to be able to 'luck' out in finding the one which is so similar to ours that the bacteria and viruses have no problem with either side would probably be quite small. Then again, we don't know what non-Earth life is like. It could all be exactly the same way as it is here, DNA, cells and all that. Because that's just how life naturally forms around the entire universe. I don't know enough about evolutionary biochemistry and all that shit to really know though...

We really need to find some bacteria or anything sort of life on one of the planets/moons of this solar system. It would answer so much.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS

Defiance wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

could be completely different as well, though. we can't really say "oh all life must evolve along these lines" when we have a grand total of one example.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
jord
Who's to say an Earth like climate is needed for life anyway? Millions of years ago the higher percentage of Oxygen was poisonous to life forms, life evolved and adapted.

The whole subject of other life is fascinating to me, and I've always advocated a much larger percentage of money be devoted to that quest to make any kind of serious progress. But with our system of nations, politics and human emotion it will never happen. At least not for the forseeable future.
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5018|Ontario, Canada

jord wrote:

Who's to say an Earth like climate is needed for life anyway? Millions of years ago the higher percentage of Oxygen was poisonous to life forms, life evolved and adapted.

The whole subject of other life is fascinating to me, and I've always advocated a much larger percentage of money be devoted to that quest to make any kind of serious progress. But with our system of nations, politics and human emotion it will never happen. At least not for the forseeable future.
Great speech. An Earth united under one alliance/government would be the fastest way to pool money into expensive space projects, after of course some arguing, complaints and general gnashing teeth. A fact that people don't consider, and I find possibly worrying, is that, what if on this other planet, there is another sentient species? And what if, by the time we get there, that species has advanced enough to be able to oppose us militarily? What if every day it takes us to get there, this species is growing stronger? Because, just as we'd be pissed if someone sent an ambassador here without contacting us first and taking samples, then they'd be pissed too. I kinda hope when we discover alien species, it'll turn out something like star trek and the majority of aliens will ally with us and be friendly.

Actually, I should name my next kid's Jean-Luc and James Tiberius in case this does happen.
jord

Acerider wrote:

jord wrote:

The whole subject of other life is fascinating to me, and I've always advocated a much larger percentage of money be devoted to that quest to make any kind of serious progress. But with our system of nations, politics and human emotion it will never happen. At least not for the foreseeable future.
Great speech. An Earth united under one alliance/government would be the fastest way to pool money into expensive space projects, after of course some arguing, complaints and general gnashing teeth. A fact that people don't consider, and I find possibly worrying, is that, what if on this other planet, there is another sentient species? And what if, by the time we get there, that species has advanced enough to be able to oppose us militarily? What if every day it takes us to get there, this species is growing stronger? Because, just as we'd be pissed if someone sent an ambassador here without contacting us first and taking samples, then they'd be pissed too. I kinda hope when we discover alien species, it'll turn out something like star trek and the majority of aliens will ally with us and be friendly.

Actually, I should name my next kid's Jean-Luc and James Tiberius in case this does happen.
Thanks.

Personally I don't think we will ever come into contact with another species that is significantly more advanced than us. We've had the ability to destroy our species for a fraction of time, under 100 years or so with Nuclear weapons. The inherent trait of life is conflict, be it in Humans, Animals or down to the simplest, microscopic organisms. I don't think we as a species will be around long enough to make significant advances in space travel. It's a mathematical certainty our species will cease to exist, and personally I don't think we have another 500 years in us. I don't want to put an arbitrary limit on all intelligent life, especially since nobody knows anything about other life, but I kinda think every intelligent organism is wiped out or wipes themselves our before ever advancing enough to establish communications with their nearest intelligent life. We could be a universe of Billions of different beings of which the majority never meet.
Acerider
Stupid keyboard is stuck
+32|5018|Ontario, Canada
That's also a really good point. It's funny, now that I think of it, an alien species waging war on us might be the best way to preserve humanity. Give humanity a common goal and an enemy we don't understand and can't reason with, and every country will stop doing selfish stuff and start working together. We can't destory ourselves if we're working together for the good of the planet. I think our civilization is advancing too early. We're developing all this weaponry and stuff, and after a while we only have one target we can use it on. Us.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard