Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4960|Dundee, Scotland.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11383620

Computers show how wind could have parted Red Sea

New computer simulations have shown how the parting of the Red Sea, as described in the Bible, could have been a phenomenon caused by strong winds.

The account in the Book of Exodus describes how the waters of the sea parted, allowing the Israelites to flee their Egyptian pursuers.

Simulations by US scientists show how the movement of wind could have opened up a land bridge at one location.

This would have enabled people to walk across exposed mud flats to safety.

The results are published in the open-access journal Plos One.

The researchers show that a strong east wind, blowing overnight, could have pushed water back at a bend where an ancient river is believed to have merged with a coastal lagoon.

https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49187000/jpg/_49187732_49187731.jpg

With the water pushed back into both waterways, a land bridge would have opened at the bend, enabling people to walk across exposed mud flats to safety.

As soon as the wind died down, the waters would have rushed back in.

The study is based on a reconstruction of the likely locations and depths of Nile delta waterways, which have shifted considerably over time.

"The simulations match fairly closely with the account in Exodus," said the study's lead author Carl Drews, from the US National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR).

"The parting of the waters can be understood through fluid dynamics. The wind moves the water in a way that's in accordance with physical laws, creating a safe passage with water on two sides and then abruptly allowing the water to rush back in."

The study is part of a larger research project by Mr Drews into the impacts of winds on water depths, including the extent to which Pacific Ocean typhoons can drive storm surges.

By pin-pointing a possible site south of the Mediterranean Sea for the crossing, the study also could be of benefit to archaeologists seeking to research the account.
Is it just me or will people try and prove the bible is a load of crap by investigating anything? I just don't believe a 63mph wind would hold back a sea.

Last edited by Camm (2010-09-26 05:36:44)

for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5780|Catherine Black
But the bible wrote it so it must be true.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Finray wrote:

The bible didn't write it. Does the bible have arms, hands, and opposable thumbs?
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6183|Roma

Camm wrote:

Is it just me or will people try and prove the bible is a lod of crap by investigating anything? I just don't believe a 63mph wind would hold back a sea.
Surely you mean "isn't a load of crap"?

There have been loads of possibilities of how many of the miracles could have come about, without some divine intervention. It's just whether or not you believe the natural causes were caused by a benevolent God or if they were coincidence.
I personally don't believe the whole Bible would have been made up, based on zero actual events.

I'm not saying they all happened exactly as told, but some could be exaggerated, and I like to think of a lot of them as a way of teaching how to live your life through example and metaphor.

Last edited by PrivateVendetta (2010-09-26 05:37:16)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Camm wrote:

Is it just me or will people try and prove the bible is a lod of crap by investigating anything? I just don't believe a 63mph wind would hold back a sea.

There have been loads of possibilities of how many of the miracles could have come about, without some divine intervention. It's just whether or not you believe the natural causes were caused by a benevolent God or if they were coincidence.
I personally don't believe the whole Bible would have been made up, based on zero actual events.
No, I mean 'is a load of crap' because if they were trying to prove it wasn't the wind, then they would be saying it was Moses. But because they're showing that it was the wind then they're saying Moses parting the sea was bollocks.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6624

Camm wrote:

Finray wrote:

The bible didn't write it. Does the bible have arms, hands, and opposable thumbs?
that's one thing i don't understand, and i may be confused, but correct me if i'm wrong
if no man is born without sin, and if the apostles were men, then how is it that sinners wrote the bible?
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6394|dm_maidenhead
I don't think anyone actually believes moses waved his magic wand and parted the red sea.
The bible (especially the old testament) isn't supposed to be taken literally.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6772|Great Brown North

Peter wrote:

I don't think anyone actually believes moses waved his magic wand and parted the red sea.
people do believe it literally
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5780|Catherine Black

krazed wrote:

Peter wrote:

Such people can be referred to as "idiots" or "gullible".
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6772|Great Brown North
from what i remember there was some on the forum as well lol
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6183|Roma

Camm wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Camm wrote:

No, I mean 'is a load of crap' because if they were trying to prove it wasn't the wind, then they would be saying it was Moses. But because they're showing that it was the wind then they're saying Moses parting the sea was bollocks.
Or you could read what I said later in the post.
Also, this:

Peter wrote:

Last edited by PrivateVendetta (2010-09-26 06:25:39)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5953|Places 'n such

Finray wrote:

krazed wrote:

Peter wrote:

Such people can be referred to as "idiots" or "gullible".
31% of americans.
sauce:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 … 815-7952r/
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5466|Ventura, California
It's a trap!
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
god created the winds duh. dont you guys ever read teh bible
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6652|The darkside of Denver

Gooners wrote:

Camm wrote:

Finray wrote:

that's one thing i don't understand, and i may be confused, but correct me if i'm wrong
if no man is born without sin, and if the apostles were men, then how is it that sinners wrote the bible?
How is that relevant?  Its through Christ and his teachings that man can have redemption for sin.  Thats what the bible (new testament) teaches.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5991|The Mitten

Gooners wrote:

Camm wrote:

Finray wrote:

with a bit of a bias.

the Old Testement, especially the Pentateuch, Genesis in particular, are very similar to contemporary religions (at the time of writing). Of course, the oral history of it had gone on much longer... kinda like a version of "Telephone", just with a little more care.
Deuteronomy is the first "Departure" from the religious norms at the time...
And, tbh, I read Deuteronomy as "Hey, you idiots need to survive, you can't figure how to safely cook pork, so just don't eat it, mmkay?"
EE (hats
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5991|The Mitten

SonderKommando wrote:

Gooners wrote:

Camm wrote:

How is that relevant?  Its through Christ and his teachings that man can have redemption for sin.  Thats what the bible (new testament) teaches.
I agree with what you are saying, however I think Gooners is pointing out that (regardless) it was written by human hands, and is inherently flawed.
EE (hats
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6724|St. Andrews / Oslo

Morpheus wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Gooners wrote:

I agree with what you are saying, however I think Gooners is pointing out that (regardless) it was written by human hands, and is inherently flawed.
that's what the mooslims say, anyway
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
SamTheMan
­
+341|5133|Stoke, England
or maybe it just didnt happen
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Peter wrote:

Wasn't God supposed to have done that on Moses' faith anyway?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6685
From what I understand the modern interpretation of that story says that the Hebrews crossed the Reed Sea (note Reed not Red); another possible translation of the Hebrew word that was thought to be 'red'. The reed sea being some marsh lands or something.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6570|Columbus, OH
computers act like they got the answers to everything don't they. If computers were so smart, then why do they easily get viruses. huh?
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6557|Area 51

loubot wrote:

computers act like they got the answers to everything don't they. If computers were so smart, then why do they easily get viruses. huh?
Humans can be smart, humans can get virusus. How does that happen?
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6570|Columbus, OH

RDMC wrote:

loubot wrote:

Humans can be smart, humans can get virusus. How does that happen?
I was really mocking the title with my statement, yet you answered my question with another question. :\
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.

SamTheMan wrote:

or maybe it just didnt happen
This.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard