Poll

Would you give your life for your country?

Yes40%40% - 18
No59%59% - 26
Total: 44
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

I don't think my country, or any, is worth dying for to be honest.

Maybe if the state wasn't so annoyingly meddlesome or if the people weren't such dumb fucks, then maybe. But as it is now, I wouldn't give my life for my country.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
Dying for your country is a lot more about dying for an idea than dying for the people who happen to be living in a certain geography.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
yes... stupid OP. you die for your 'country' in a principled or idealistic manner... not literally dying for your neighbours and local politicians.

imo the entire phase of history wherein the world is based on nations/empire is pretty much over. global-capitalism and cultural globalisation has pretty much seen an end to finite borders and national identity; patriotism, extremer forms of nationalism and general ideological conflicts are a rarity. it's not quite the same as making a pledge for king and country and charging with the light brigade against your imperial enemies...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
that line was used in school, but in this context

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et dulcisimum pro patria bibere: ergo, bibamus pro salute patriae

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6106|SC | USA |
I would give my life to help preserve my country's way of life, regardless of the type of citizens or whether or not they care.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6493|so randum
Tiocfaidh ár lá!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Those who are willing to lay down their lives for an idea as obscure and ill defined as patriotism or nationalism get what they deserve. In combat, ideas of country go out the window and lives are lain down not for a flag, but to protect the lives of those to your right and left. What brings people to the point of serving is as broad of a spectrum as the spectrum of human condition. Some really do join out of patriotic fervor, most join because service offers a chance at a better life. In the end, none of those reasons matter and those that do end up dying, for whatever reason or motive, end up lumped together as heroes willing to die for their country, even if untrue. Defining them as heroes serves the dual purpose of enticing new recruits blinded by patriotism and the thought of glory, and allowing the politicians and the populace they serve to sleep better at night. If the truth about war were told, no more wars would be fought except by madmen and sociopaths.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ticia
+73|5328

JohnG@lt wrote:

dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori
Yes...and the lie's still repeating through the years
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

that line was used in school, but in this context

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori sed dulcius pro patria vivere, et dulcisimum pro patria bibere: ergo, bibamus pro salute patriae

I was quoting from "All Quiet On The Western Front". The implied preface I was going for was "The old lie..." which I hoped some would get with my second reply
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
actually it's taken from horace... hence it being in my school's classic syllabus, and the full-line is the reason why writers/poets in ww1/ww2 used it. it's actually from wilfred owen before it was used by remarque for his novel's epigraph. wilfred owen's satiric use of the line is satirical precisely for the reason that the full line by horace means something along the lines of "it is sweet and good to die for one's homeland, but it is sweeter to live for one's homeland, and it is sweetest to drink for one's homeland: therefore, drink to our country!"

...the more you know!

sorry to be pedantic but i hate people misquoting cliches
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

actually it's taken from horace... hence it being in my school's classic syllabus, and the full-line is the reason why writers/poets in ww1/ww2 used it. it's actually from wilfred owen before it was used by remarque for his novel's epigraph. wilfred owen's satiric use of the line is satirical precisely for the reason that the full line by horace means something along the lines of "it is sweet and good to die for one's homeland, but it is sweeter to live for one's homeland, and it is sweetest to drink for one's homeland: therefore, drink to our country!"

...the more you know!

sorry to be pedantic but i hate people misquoting cliches
I know it's from a Wilfred Owen poem, studied it in school. I studied Spanish rather than Latin so I've had no exposure to Horace.

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! –  An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
i am just making the point that is it an "old-lie" precisely because it is misquoted (out of context) for patriotic purposes...

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Fair enough. But at this point it matters not and you are waging a losing battle 99 out of 100 people that recognize the quote have never read Horace, nor plan to
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
What is a 'country' exactly?
A piece of land, a few people and some political theories - plus politicians who don't themselves give a shit about any of the aforementioned.

Not really prepared to die for it TBH.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6561|Mountains of NC

https://www.textually.org/ringtonia/archives/images/set3/american-flag-2a.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6141|'straya
I'd fight for my country, but I'd rather not die for it
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lets move this discussion on to how the brain-washing of the American population begins in kindergarten.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

some of us love our country and our way of life
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SEREMAKER wrote:

How many Americans don't even have a passport, or can find America on a world map?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-09-05 17:52:27)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

How many Americans don't even have a passport, or can find America on a world map?
Two.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

SEREMAKER wrote:

Two.
You and Seremaker?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Two.
You and Seremaker?
Maybe, maybe not. I can find Canada though, it's our hat.
-Frederick Bastiat
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Two.
You and Seremaker?
i knows australia iz an island
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SEREMAKER wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

You and Seremaker?
i knows australia iz an island
nowai, it hangs off Italy's boot.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard