Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

jord wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

jord wrote:

Are soviet weapons and ammunition really that expensive in the eastern bloc?

Do they not have animal centres?

Even if its a no to both, one strong blow from a blunt object is more humane than drowning. Or can they not afford blunt objects in this backwards states?
Again we don't know the overall circumstances to make any assumptions.

Also to kill a baby seal it sometimes takes two or three whacks...
What circumstances would condone someone choosing to drown animals rather than smply hit them with a blunt object? I can't think of any and I have somewhat of an imagination.

2,3,4,5 whacks, its always going to be quicker. Blunt trauma to the head is less painful than drowning.
Go back and reread what I've said in this thread. We can't expect a eastern euro country to have the same sort of infrastructure and ability we have in disposing of animals humanely. 

Secondly holding down a puppy and smashing it's head in 5 times with a brick hurts a lot more than drowning. Their little lungs would fill up with water very quickly.
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

Macbeth wrote:

jord wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Again we don't know the overall circumstances to make any assumptions.

Also to kill a baby seal it sometimes takes two or three whacks...
What circumstances would condone someone choosing to drown animals rather than smply hit them with a blunt object? I can't think of any and I have somewhat of an imagination.

2,3,4,5 whacks, its always going to be quicker. Blunt trauma to the head is less painful than drowning.
Go back and reread what I've said in this thread. We can't expect a eastern euro country to have the same sort of infrastructure and ability we have in disposing of animals humanely. 

Secondly holding down a puppy and smashing it's head in 5 times with a brick hurts a lot more than drowning. Their little lungs would fill up with water very quickly.
I don't need to go back, I remember what you said and that's why I've not suggested they should've used an expensive lethal injection.

I'm not going to go into details about the best way to kill animals, this thread is depressing enough. I'm sure you can think of a few ways that are more humane than drowning though without me giving examples.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

jord wrote:

I'm not going to go into details about the best way to kill animals, this thread is depressing enough. I'm sure you can think of a few ways that are more humane than drowning though without me giving examples.
Avaiablity is important.

The only way I can think of as cheap and instant would require a really tall place with a hard bottom. Again something that may not be available.

But yeah, I guess the point is moot.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
everyone in this thread is making a huge assumptive error in bestowing human empathies and anthropomorphically endowing dogs with human emotions. there is nothing to say that they 'suffered' as a result of drowning; it is quite ridiculous to put forward the 'choice' between "a bullet to the head, immolation or drowning"- anything above basic animal instincts is lost on a dog. for all purposes, as mek said, dead is dead. people suggesting gun-shots or mass injective-poisoning really aren't thinking this through. if you have a massive population problem with street dogs, and you live in one of those shithole eastern european countries that everyone here likes to look down upon so much... how do you finance it? how do you organize that? when there's a river just down the road? jesus, some of you lack common sense with all your emotional rhetoric.

whatever bonus values and attributes we may bestow upon a dog because of our western culture's 'elevating' of their status as domestic pets with familial sentiments... it is still JUST A FUCKING DOG to most people. im not condoning this behaviour- because i personally i have no 'need' or 'desire' to dispose of puppies- but im not putting the goddamn woman on a freudian coach and calling her a SOCIOPATH because she threw a few puppies into a river. over-reaction much?

Last edited by Uzique (2010-09-02 15:40:27)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
Mac...  take note of Uzique's post.  That's how you make an argument against animal cruelty laws.  It's not a matter of property rights -- it's a matter of context.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Uzique wrote:

everyone in this thread is making a huge assumptive error in bestowing human empathies and anthropomorphically endowing dogs with human emotions. there is nothing to say that they 'suffered' as a result of drowning; it is quite ridiculous to put forward the 'choice' between "a bullet to the head, immolation or drowning"- anything above basic animal instincts is lost on a dog. for all purposes, as mek said, dead is dead. people suggesting gun-shots or mass injective-poisoning really aren't thinking this through. if you have a massive population problem with street dogs, and you live in one of those shithole eastern european countries that everyone here likes to look down upon so much... how do you finance it? how do you organize that? when there's a river just down the road? jesus, some of you lack common sense with all your emotional rhetoric.

whatever bonus values and attributes we may bestow upon a dog because of our western culture's 'elevating' of their status as domestic pets with familial sentiments... it is still JUST A FUCKING DOG to most people. im not condoning this behaviour- because i personally i have no 'need' or 'desire' to dispose of puppies- but im not putting the goddamn woman on a freudian coach and calling her a SOCIOPATH because she threw a few puppies into a river. over-reaction much?
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 6#p3303626
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 3#p3303643

Yeah I made those points already. No-one is really having an emotional reaction here. At least I'm not.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

Turquoise
O Canada
Well, I guess that's what I get for not reading the whole thread.  I was reminded of that other thread you made, so I jumped to conclusions.

EDIT: to the anonymous karma person...  nice Office Space reference...  LOL... 

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-09-02 15:48:30)

jord
Pain is pain, and the less amount an animal is subjected to the better. Its that simple in the end and if she did have an alternate, more humane means to kill the animal she should have taken it.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
I fucking hate dogs, more than anything else I hate fucking dogs.
Turquoise
O Canada

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

I fucking hate dogs, more than anything else I hate fucking dogs.
-0_sL5AAVQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v-0_sL5AAVQ

EDIT: damn thing won't format properly...

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-09-02 15:57:51)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

You have to check "Never show smilies as icons for this post"

Last edited by Macbeth (2010-09-02 16:03:34)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
Zee Jermans.
13rin
+977|6481

Turquoise wrote:

Mac...  take note of Uzique's post.  That's how you make an argument against animal cruelty laws.  It's not a matter of property rights -- it's a matter of context.
No shit, PETA freezes their animals.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6132|North Tonawanda, NY

JohnG@lt wrote:

And my point is that while it's certainly ok to condemn people, speak out against them, or protest them for doing things you disagree with, jailing them is an entirely different matter. Why is it ok to kill an animal one way, but another way will land you in jail or with a fine? The end result is the same.
That's a strange question, and it's right up there with why can't I kill myself.  And you're getting into territory that I never started on...where did this 'jailing them' come from?

JohnG@lt wrote:

I don't like seeing animals suffer myself. I once shot a mouse one of my mom's cats was playing with for a good hour, just to end its terror. Did I punish the cat? No, it is its nature. Did the actions the cat was taking sicken me? Enough to make me do something about it.
Nature is cruel.  Why would the cat be punished for doing what it does?  I never thought it should be...

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's all well and good to take a moral stand and say that people should humanely put down animals, it's an entirely different realm to actually go out and legislate it. You can not and should not legislate emotion.
Woah there killer.  Where did I go any further than condemning this person?  I certainly never said a word about legislation.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Uzique wrote:

You're right, Uzique.  Animals can't feel any emotion, can they?  Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

SenorToenails wrote:

Uzique wrote:

You're right, Uzique.  Animals can't feel any emotion, can they?  Thanks for clearing that up for me.
First line of your link.
There is no scientific consensus on emotion in animals
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Macbeth wrote:

First line of your link.
There is no scientific consensus on emotion in animals
Indeed, however if you read, there is research to suggest that mammals in particular do.

And quote the whole line next time:

There is no scientific consensus on emotion in animals, that is, what emotions certain species of animals feel.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2010-09-02 17:14:06)

Turquoise
O Canada
Higher mammals feel emotions, but I don't think dogs really do -- not in a manner we normally refer to as emotion at least.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

CBA to scan thread, but here's an OP from EE:

Phatmatt wrote:

Warning: The video is graphic especially if you're an animal lover

http://valleywag.gawker.com/5626105/4ch … owing-girl

-------

I just saw this and wow I don't know what to say, who in their right mind would do something like that? I mean fuck somebody throw her in the river.

/b/ are fucking good at finding people, and tbh I like what they are doing even though it's probably not the best way but it get things done.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

Turquoise wrote:

Higher mammals feel emotions, but I don't think dogs really do -- not in a manner we normally refer to as emotion at least.
i personally think that dogs behaviourally feel 'emotions', in the sense that an 'emotion' is a root-level primal response to an event or stimulus. thus, i think dogs feel and interact with their owners on a rather simple inter-relational basis revolving around primal wants/needs/urges and the subsequent 'emotional' expression, e.g. hunger, playing, boredom/restlessness, wanting to go to the toilet, wanting to rest. i do not think that dogs have 'higher' emotions or any sort of conscious and voluntary emotional 'will', to borrow from philosophy a bit. their responses to the world around them are just stimuli-governed... a thing that all living mammals exhibit. every animal has the capacity to feel pain... but that's not to say a bullet to the head is less 'cruel' than a drowning. the animal has no concept of cruelty or unjust treatment. in both cases the animal is dead within a minute... and it's not as if the dog is going to spend his minute underwater pondering his owner's actions, or reflecting upon the joyous canine life he has led.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6655

Turquoise wrote:

Have you/your family owned a dog for any extensive period of time? 

You may be right that they don't experience the full gamut of complex human emotion, but I think that dogs at least experience fear, happiness, anxiety and "love" (or at least, unwavering affection)...it's readily apparent if you spend a lot of time around them.

That said, I doubt a puppy feels fear anymore than a human infant, or any newborn mammal...they're simply not developed enough.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
all of the above could be attributed to primal, root-level canine behaviourisms, though... pack-instinct, for example, with 'loyalty'.

the animal has no conscious, self-reflexive ability to discern, distinguish and 'trigger' these emotions, though.

and surely a large part of 'emotional' psychology is being able to identify said emotions and characterise them...
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5239|Cleveland, Ohio

Uzique wrote:

all of the above could be attributed to primal, root-level canine behaviourisms, though... pack-instinct, for example, with 'loyalty'.

the animal has no conscious, self-reflexive ability to discern, distinguish and 'trigger' these emotions, though.

and surely a large part of 'emotional' psychology is being able to identify said emotions and characterise them...
true but the people know what they are doing is causing mental and physical pain (associated with human feelings) yet continue to do it and enjoy it.  thats a mental defect.
jord

Uzique wrote:

Surely everything you're saying can be applied to a newborn, human baby...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard