ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

My grandmother left me a fairly large sum of money in her will recently, and I was looking for some advice on where to invest it. Whilst I do have some small sums tied up in the stock market, this is more than I'd be willing to risk on that. So what are my options? Most savings accounts offer shitty returns and require me to lock up my money for 5 years or so to get anything worthwhile, which I don't really want to do in case I need a car or something once I graduate university. What do the more financially inclined forumites suggest?
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6729|St. Andrews / Oslo

horse racing
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85
You can't have low-risk, high-return, liquid investments all rolled into one, so I would get some more appropriate expectations first.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6678|Disaster Free Zone
Shares being one of the safer investment options and too risky doesn't leave much except Bonds, property or cash.

Property (depending on how you use it), isn't exactly liquid, cash doesn't have any real returns, which leaves bonds. Government are your safest bet, and with interest rates at pretty low levels and expected to rise its your best bet.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

ghettoperson wrote:

My grandmother left me a fairly large sum of money in her will recently, and I was looking for some advice on where to invest it. Whilst I do have some small sums tied up in the stock market, this is more than I'd be willing to risk on that. So what are my options? Most savings accounts offer shitty returns and require me to lock up my money for 5 years or so to get anything worthwhile, which I don't really want to do in case I need a car or something once I graduate university. What do the more financially inclined forumites suggest?
Talk to a financial adviser. I would recommend looking into a high yield bond mutual fund personally.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-30 09:06:03)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

EDIT: @FM

I'm fully aware of that, however you used to be able to get reasonable interest rates on savings accounts, which you no longer can. And you may be right, there are no good options.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2010-08-30 09:05:51)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6538|Texas - Bigger than France
Talk to a financial advisor...someone who gets paid to help you.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

Why pay someone when I can ask the internet for free.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ghettoperson wrote:

You get what you pay for.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6475
bonds, mutual, Start an IRA.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
Or just keep it in a savings account and be happy with what you have instead of effectively gambling it away. Otherwise go pay a professional to give you advice if you want to go down the gambling route. There are whole industries set up just for this.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713
Diversify your bonds niggah.

Invest in companies/industries you know about.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.
Open up an mma gym in my town.

Invest in large quantities of legal highs, wait for them to become illegal and then sell them.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6450|The Twilight Zone
Personally I would buy an apartment and give it on rent. Depends about how large of a sum we a re talking about.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6538|Texas - Bigger than France

ghettoperson wrote:

Ok.

How much do you currently make?
How much are your monthly expenses?
Do you have any large expenses in the near future?  Far future?
Are you going to get married?  Will your spouse work?
How many kids do you plan to have?
When do you think you will be retiring?
How much money is coming from your grandmother?
How much debt do you currently have?
What is the value of your assets?  How much is liquid?
Are you currently investing?  How much?  And what's in the portfolio?
How's your health?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

Since you mentioned not tying up the money for expenses like a car, I assume the amount isn't really significant enough to really make any significant money.  And as such, factoring in your age, I'd just put the money for long term low risk gain.  The market is gonna get into some interesting twist and turns soon, so playing short term in the near future wouldn't be advisable.  Also, did you factor in inheritance tax?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

Ilocano wrote:

Since you mentioned not tying up the money for expenses like a car, I assume the amount isn't really significant enough to really make any significant money.  And as such, factoring in your age, I'd just put the money for long term low risk gain.  The market is gonna get into some interesting twist and turns soon, so playing short term in the near future wouldn't be advisable.  Also, did you factor in inheritance tax?
It's not a gigantic sum, no. It will most likely be used for the down payment on a house in a few years time, but I don't really want to be paying huge amount of interest on a loan for a car if I need one, when I have money in the bank I can't access.
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.

.Sup wrote:

Personally I would buy an apartment and give it on rent. Depends about how large of a sum we a re talking about.
And use one room to cultivate... good idea sup.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6578|SE London

ghettoperson wrote:

EDIT: @FM

I'm fully aware of that, however you used to be able to get reasonable interest rates on savings accounts, which you no longer can. And you may be right, there are no good options.
Damn straight.

I used to get 14% on my National Savings account back in the day...

Now you're lucky to get 2-3%.

I'm supposed to be inheriting a decent sum too - once we (the rest of my family and I) take my grandads crooked, cheating bitch of a wife to court that is....

I'd go with stocks. They're a good bet. You can make loads and if you don't, you have no one to blame but yourself - I hate the idea of handing my money over to someone else who could potentially lose it.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6351

Cybargs wrote:

Diversify your bonds niggah.

Invest in companies/industries you know about.
a fan of Dave chapplle ?
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6351

ghettoperson wrote:

Talk to proffesionals, Be ready to walk out if you get a bad vibe. You might have to meet with two or three before you meet one who makes you feel ( right ) Don't let tham push you into something you aren't comfortable with. If it seems to good to be true. . . ..

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2010-08-30 14:13:32)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6578|SE London

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Talk to a proffesional, Be ready to walk out if you get a bad vibe. Don't let tham push you into something you aren't comfortable with. If it seems to good to be true. . . ..
Good professionals cost lots of money. Not worth it unless investing 6 figure sums.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

ghettoperson wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

It's not a gigantic sum, no. It will most likely be used for the down payment on a house in a few years time, but I don't really want to be paying huge amount of interest on a loan for a car if I need one, when I have money in the bank I can't access.
What are your car loan rates on your neck of the woods?  Over here, dealers are bending all over backwards with all kinds of deals, even 0-2% interest loans for 4-5 years.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

Brokers are only interested in commission.  If you are in it for the long term, they aren't interested in you.  If they can pick the best stocks, why are they still brokers?  Seriously, if you aren't going to do your own serious research, stick with Vanguard and Fidelity.  You can't trust Moody or Morningstar anymore.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Buy BP stock. It's way undervalued again now.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard