Very nice attention to detail there.
AutoDesk products still have issues with rendering proper springs?
Can recognize most of that rifle.
Looks like a Remington 700 or Surgeons action, short action + Schmidt und Bender scope + Harris bipod + A4 style stock (not the McMillan A-4, but similar)
Only detail critiques (on the first model shown):
- S&B scope needs more of those rounded/oval bits on the radial array near the back of the scope (magnification adjustment)
- S&B scope needs knurling (radial arrays) on objective adjustment, elevation turret, and windage turret
- Harris bipod, springs are not rendered (again, probably still an issue with AutoDesk products)
- The off-hand 'notch' on the stock is about a 1" diameter rounded surface, not a sharp ledge, no? (might be a different stock)
- Bore of the barrel looks to be .50" diameter, on a short action more suited to 7.62x51.
- No spiral rifling apparent in the bore (again, probably a limitation of Maya, being an AutoDesk product allergic to 3D spirals)
- Barrel looks to be straight cylindrical diameter throughout (1.00" ?), when most have a taper to them (Sample contours)
- a few other spots where a helical construct is missing, but I've nitpicked that already.
- Bottom metal or detachable magazine structure is missing, or just can't see any of it from the given views.
good attention to detail.
I've worked with CAD software for 18 years (firearms for slightly longer). That level of detail isn't trivial for a self-education project.
There are some good CAD files here
, and here, under "Blueprints"
, and here, for the "picatinny rail" MIL-STD-1913 pdf
, and Sample barrel contours
If you can find it, Stuart Otteson's The Bolt Action Rifle, vol. I
has some relevant drawings and dimensions for bolt action rifles as well.
The old US Army Materiel Command "AMCP 706-" series has great detail design information as well, such as AMCP 706-260, Engineering Design Handbook, Guns Series, Automatic Weapons
at Defense Technical Information Center
(DTIC.mil is full
of great documents too)