Benzin
+576|5998
http://blog.americanandertu.at/post/962 … be-ashamed

Click the link for all the images and source links from the blog.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

Why should we be ashamed?

There is a shitload going on in Pakistan to help the flood victims, biggest problem as of right now is getting the aid into the areas where it is needed ... because there is a flood there is mucho water that makes it very hard, you can't drive into the area, you can't land a helicopter there and you can't airdrop supplies in a area filled with water ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Where will you be staying during your personal relief campaign in Pakistan, CapnNismo?
Benzin
+576|5998
Don't you guys think the lack of attention being paid to Pakistan is embarrassing compared to the attention given to Haiti or Katrina/New Orleans? The entire US turned to those disasters but this one there's nothing, barely even a mention on any major American news website.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

No. The U.S. isn't the world's handout center. Aside from that, Katrina was in the U.S.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Also what the hell are you talking about CNN, Fox, drudge, Huffington etc. Are all covering it.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
i love it when white people get all guilty and ultra-sympathetic with a cause just to make some socio-political 'point', rather than care about the cause.

the thousands of dying people in pakistan are greatful for you using their tragedy as an excuse to construe anti-americanism.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Benzin
+576|5998

Uzique wrote:

i love it when white people get all guilty and ultra-sympathetic with a cause just to make some socio-political 'point', rather than care about the cause.

the thousands of dying people in pakistan are greatful for you using their tragedy as an excuse to construe anti-americanism.
Actually, it isn't about anti-Americanism, it's about the duality that the western media constantly plays. Look at the other thread here in D&ST about the black guy that killed 8 white people and the media outlets reporting it have been blaming white society. It's the exact same bullshit that has nothing to do with journalism.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
i think the main point is haiti disaster was on every major news outlet constantly and in the scheme of things pakistan being a bit damp and russia being a bit toasty atm have (comparatively) barely registered yes?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

CapnNismo wrote:

Don't you guys think the lack of attention being paid to Pakistan is embarrassing compared to the attention given to Haiti or Katrina/New Orleans? The entire US turned to those disasters but this one there's nothing, barely even a mention on any major American news website.
Well, let's see... Katrina took place in the United States so media located inside of the United States would naturally cover this event as much as possible. The earthquake in Haiti took place a few hundred miles from our coast, and we happen to have a rather large population of Haitian born people living here. Again, proximity = news coverage. Natural disasters within our own hemisphere/continent are greeted with massive outpourings of support because, well, many of our citizens have vacationed in these areas and naturally have some attachment to them.

On the other hand, Pakistan is on the far side of the world, we do have a large Pakistani-American population living here, but no one outside of these Pakistani-Americans understands their culture, speaks their language, has vacationed there, or has any attachment to the nation whatsoever. I guarantee that most Americans would be hard pressed to even find Pakistan on a map. None of this takes away from the tragedy that has taken place in Pakistan, it simply highlights the reasons that it doesn't appear so high on our collective radar screens. To ask us as Americans to care equally about a flood in Pakistan and a natural disaster in one of our own cities is frankly moronic. So, once again, Nismo you have proven yourself to be an ignorant, naive child.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-16 11:17:43)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Benzin
+576|5998

FatherTed wrote:

i think the main point is haiti disaster was on every major news outlet constantly and in the scheme of things pakistan being a bit damp and russia being a bit toasty atm have (comparatively) barely registered yes?
Pretty much. Especially when you think about the fact that the affected number of newly homeless people in Pakistan (20 million) is twice that of the population of the entire country of Haiti (9 million). Certainly the death toll in Haiti was higher and that is extremely tragic (then you have the questionable Wyclef Jean wanting to run the country), but when the UN Secretary General calls it the worst disaster EVER and there's barely a peep about it, it is quite interesting to note the lack of news coverage.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
meh it's biblical. god is raining water down on the AQ rats in their caves to flush them out. amen hallulujah!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

CapnNismo wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Pretty much. Especially when you think about the fact that the affected number of newly homeless people in Pakistan (20 million) is twice that of the population of the entire country of Haiti (9 million). Certainly the death toll in Haiti was higher and that is extremely tragic (then you have the questionable Wyclef Jean wanting to run the country), but when the UN Secretary General calls it the worst disaster EVER and there's barely a peep about it, it is quite interesting to note the lack of news coverage.
The average American has about [] this much respect for the UN and cares not a whit for anything the Secretary General has to say.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6541|Texas - Bigger than France
I have heard stories about how very little money from the charities is actually getting to the Pakistanis.

Aka, it's going to the Pakistani gov't or something.

Perhaps this also is part of the campaign of misinformation currently occurring.

Altogether terrible disaster...but I'm not going to fall into the unequal media coverage trap...as the media is altogether messed up in general.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6671|UK
Apart for the terrorism link, you want to know why people are not bothering? Mr fucking 10% is going to take his cut....just like last time.

£300m earthquake aid 'misused by Zardari’

More than £300 million in foreign aid for victims of the 2005 Pakistan earthquake has been diverted by President Asif Zardari's government to other causes, officials have told The Daily Telegraph. They now fear that the alleged diversion of funds will deter donors from giving further aid after the country's devastating floods. According to senior officials, schools, hospitals, houses and roads planned with money given by foreign governments and international aid groups remain unbuilt almost five years after the earthquake which killed 80,000 and left four million people homeless.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … rdari.html

He is a A class cunt and i hope someone blows his fucking ass up too.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

JohnG@lt wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

The average American has about [] this much respect for the UN and cares not a whit for anything the Secretary General has to say.
lol UN
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

CapnNismo wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

The Secretary General calls every new disaster "the worst ever", besides the flood in Pakistan is on the news ... in every 15 minute newscast I've seen since the flood started ...

The situation in Pakistan is not one of those that goes away with just throwing money at it, they have money ... problem is they have huge difficulties reaching the affected areas because of the water ...

All major relief organisations are in Pakistan, but again because of the huge amount of water they can barely get aid anywhere ... and about the US since you brought it up, US aid have flown in tons of material and food ...

To be frank with you CapnNismo ... it seems like you are quite misinformed about the flood in Pakistan ... it's very tragic yes but the nature of the disaster makes it all the more difficult to aid, Haiti was also tragic but a much "easier" project for relief workers ...

And what about the flood in China? ... what about the oil-spill disaster in Nigeria?

Don't be so naive ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Benzin
+576|5998
Haiti certainly was an "easier" disaster to take care of and this one is much harder, no doubt about that. But I can remember watching CNN and seeing entire hour long specials about Haiti as a country and as a disaster zone. Where's the same kind of attention there? This thread isn't about the lack of aid there (it is somewhat lacking in the promised contributions. Haiti was a disaster in this respect, so much aid was promised and so little delivered) but rather the lack of media attention in comparison to other disasters. Take a look at this, this is from a Pakistani and not some white guy: http://uk.asiancorrespondent.com/fiveru … o-your-job

I'm not saying that this is any different from Nigeria or China, but the Pakistani floods have hit somewhat close to home with me because I have friends from Pakistan and I know that they are so afraid for their families and friends there.

I was watching the news last night and I can recall that someone from the Pakistan government was saying they need helicopters and boats the most so that way they can reach people. Here's a list as of August 15th of all aid delivered: http://www.scribd.com/doc/35908659/List … st-15-2010
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
I don't see how we should be ashamed. Pretty ill thought title there.
Benzin
+576|5998

jord wrote:

You're right, I didn't do a very good job on the title. I'm going to drop the second half of it and leave it at that on my blog.
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.

CapnNismo wrote:

jord wrote:

You're right, I didn't do a very good job on the title. I'm going to drop the second half of it and leave it at that on my blog.
Perhaps the broadcasters ought to be a tad ashamed but I've seen it covered on the bbc numerous times the last few days.
Benzin
+576|5998

jord wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

jord wrote:

Perhaps the broadcasters ought to be a tad ashamed but I've seen it covered on the bbc numerous times the last few days.
As have I. The BBC has done a very good job covering it. The Europeans have done a much better job but talking to my friends in the US they say they see little blurbs about it here and there but nothing like what happened with Haiti (as the most recent example).
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Way to completely ignore what Varegg and I wrote and carry on right past us. Your egalitarian view of the world is retarded and naive.
-Frederick Bastiat
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6620|London, England
Corruption is one thing, Terrorism is another...rarely does that country ever get a good press or reputation in any sense. It all adds up. The US is still doing by far the most compared to any country though. Notwithstanding the billions in military aid they were already receiving most of which ends up pointed at India anyway.
Benzin
+576|5998

JohnG@lt wrote:

Way to completely ignore what Varegg and I wrote and carry on right past us. Your egalitarian view of the world is retarded and naive.
Sorry, but I did address what each of you wrote.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard