Lai
+186|6122
So I got a new HD4670 for my old Dell Dimension 9150 and managed to salvage some 2Gb of RAM from my uncle's fried Dimension E520. However, I thought it was running on a Sempron, but in fact it was running on a PentiumD 820 s775, one of the oldest Dual-Cores around if I remember correctly. I think only my uncle's Mobo and PSU had fried, so that 820 should still be alive. Most similarly aged Dells have interchangeable parts so would I be able to put that 820 in my old Dimension 9150 as well? It is currently running on a Pentium 4 630 on a Dell OYC523 Mobo with Intel i945p chipset.
Benzin
+576|5969
Don't get me wrong, but wouldn't it be better to have a dual core versus a single core? What OS are you running, btw?
Lai
+186|6122

CapnNismo wrote:

Don't get me wrong, but wouldn't it be better to have a dual core versus a single core? What OS are you running, btw?
Yes, I am running on a single core 630 now and am thinking of replacing with a dual-core 820 taken from my uncle's fried mobo. I was just wondering whether that would be possible.

I am running regular XP SP3.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5932|Places 'n such
swap processors then run the xp repair thingy of the disk?
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Lai
+186|6122

presidentsheep wrote:

swap processors then run the xp repair thingy of the disk?
Jup, but that's not the question. The question is will I able to plug that CPU on that Dell (BTX) Mobo? Bear in mind that it also came from a Dell (BTX) Mobo. According to this site I can:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di … 820_4.html

Another thing, how can I find out whether a CPU is fried without actually plugging it in?
Benzin
+576|5969

Lai wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

Yes, I am running on a single core 630 now and am thinking of replacing with a dual-core 820 taken from my uncle's fried mobo. I was just wondering whether that would be possible.

OH! I've misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to get rid of the dual core and put in a single core - WTF-Moment. If the ports are the same, then there should be no problem swapping them whatsoever. Just check what port each CPU uses - you can do that via CPU-Z or just Google it.
Lai
+186|6122

CapnNismo wrote:

Lai wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

OH! I've misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to get rid of the dual core and put in a single core - WTF-Moment. If the ports are the same, then there should be no problem swapping them whatsoever. Just check what port each CPU uses - you can do that via CPU-Z or just Google it.
You mean the socket? They're both s775's, so hardware-wise I am sure it is a clean swap, but some 775 Mobo's can't handle two cores.
Overdose
+13|6085|Fort Worth, TX
Use cpu-z to find the name of you north bridge. Then google it.
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5721|شمال
try it? Just do it and see m8
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

Lakeport (your chipset) is compatible with Pentium Ds. Assuming the BIOS plays nice it should be a simple swap. No need to repair XP or anything.

You don't have anything to loose. Stick it in and try. If it works, great, if not, switch back. Have some spare thermal paste handy.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Lai
+186|6122

max wrote:

Lakeport (your chipset) is compatible with Pentium Ds. Assuming the BIOS plays nice it should be a simple swap. No need to repair XP or anything.

You don't have anything to loose. Stick it in and try. If it works, great, if not, switch back. Have some spare thermal paste handy.
That was what I was looking for, thanks.

I'm getting some thermal paste today.
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6160|Canada

Whatever you do, don't put the paste on the pin side of the cpu. cba to find thread atm.
Lai
+186|6122

Phatmatt wrote:

Whatever you do, don't put the paste on the pin side of the cpu. cba to find thread atm.
Hahaha,.. I remember that thread. Nah, I won't even though s775 doesn't have actual 'pins'.
alexb
<3
+590|5911|Kentucky, USA

Lai wrote:

Phatmatt wrote:

Hahaha,.. I remember that thread. Nah, I won't even though s775 doesn't have actual 'pins'.
The pins are on the motherboard itself on the socket 775 boards.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard