Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6667

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Meh, I'd trust AEGIS to protect the carriers. It's not like they sail alone, they're always surrounded by cruisers and destroyers bristling with anti aircraft and anti-missile systems.
Well from what I gather in the article, there is not much we have in our fleet to counter this new "carrier killer" weapon.
Doubtful that AEGIS can even track and react to MACH 10, considering the range of the AEGIS system?

More like, will NORAD consider it an ICBM/nuke threat...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Meh, I'd trust AEGIS to protect the carriers. It's not like they sail alone, they're always surrounded by cruisers and destroyers bristling with anti aircraft and anti-missile systems.
Well from what I gather in the article, there is not much we have in our fleet to counter this new "carrier killer" weapon.
Sounds like an article written by the defense industry in order to get better funding tbh.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

No, we don't. So what? The defense is in the political nature of using such a weapon. You use such a weapon and you immediately escalate to all out conventional warfare with the U.S. and likely much of the rest of the Western world, assuming cooler heads prevail and nukes don't start flying.
More likely the US would not put its carrier fleet at risk of total destruction and would therefore cede the whole of Asia to Chinese military dominance.
I actually laughed at this ridiculous non sequitur.
Laugh away, without carriers you don't have a battlegroup capable of defending itself or projecting force.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Sounds like an article written by the defense industry in order to get better funding tbh.
wouldn't be the first time
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6468
If any of you believe that China would be willing to attack the US in the foreseeable future, then I have some bad news for you...
jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

No, but there are weapons to attack/interfere with he satellites that guide it
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

jsnipy wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

No, but there are weapons to attack/interfere with he satellites that guide it
Yeah, we own the GPS satellites and can shut down the system instantly if it's being used against us.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

If any of you believe that China would be willing to attack the US in the foreseeable future, then I have some bad news for you...
History books, they're awesome, you should try one.

https://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/pearl_harbor_attack.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-08-05 19:18:49)

13rin
+977|6479
Fearmonger.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6707|67.222.138.85

Dilbert_X wrote:

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

History books, they're awesome, you should try one.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-con … attack.jpg
That is super applicable, the U.S. being in comparable positions as far as military power.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
In terms of nuclear capability both countries could wipe each other out many times over.

As for conventional forces in Asia the Chinese are sailing an unsinkable aircraft carrier.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-08-05 21:14:18)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

https://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5823/missile.jpg
Reciprocity
+721|6581|the dank(super) side of Oregon
So, this missile can independently track a carrier or carriers manuevering within a battle group and/or is guided by satellites?  Pretty scary.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Dilbert_X wrote:

In terms of nuclear capability both countries could wipe each other out many times over.

As for conventional forces in Asia the Chinese are sailing an unsinkable aircraft carrier.
War isn't just a one on one fight... If the Chinese do declare war with the US... They have to deal with the Euros and India (assuming India would take part, being an US ally). US can easily destroy 90% of China's industrial capacity without nukes, most of that shit is concentrated in tight packed industrial areas. China doesn't have the capabilities to reach out and touch the US, it's just a matter of how long they can last.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
Meh this is just a stage in a cyclical technological evolution. WWII example, Allies build mine-scanner of sorts relying on magnetic fields, axis start using wooden mines. Argentina buy the exocet, UK batphones the SAS. etc. short term threat that China realistically aren't going to capitalise upon.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6714|Purplicious Wisconsin
This is old news.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
Wait a minute, we're at war with China now?

Honestly, what exactly have we got to fear from them? It would be a foolhardy endeavour if China somehow fancied they should, or even could, make any sort of aggressive, empire-building sort of action outside of say...Taiwan.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
fuck taiwan
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

FatherTed wrote:

fuck taiwan
Fuck you.

No seriously fuck this piece of shit island. Worst comes to worst I just up and leave this place. Half of our artillery pieces don't work and a 1/3 of our rifles aren't even safe to use, another 1/3 can't hit anything 200m+ and jams like a motherfucker. Were just hoping to ride on America's dick if it comes to war.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

Wait a minute, we're at war with China now?

Honestly, what exactly have we got to fear from them? It would be a foolhardy endeavour if China somehow fancied they should, or even could, make any sort of aggressive, empire-building sort of action outside of say...Taiwan.
I still can't figure out why they'd want to when all they have to do is wait...
rdx-fx
+955|6592
China wants to be the next Superpower.

Getting their military to the point where they are seen as a credible rival to the United States does not mean they're immediately going to want a war with the US.  They are building up their "big stick", to make their "carrot" seem all that much more appealing.

And, it's not all about the US vs China.  Russia, Japan, Korea, India, Taiwan, EU, UK, Middle East - all of them are going to be playing by a much changed set of rules if China makes the transition from a developing infrastructure to a stable Superpower.

Russia, Japan, and Korea are the three that are going to have the hardest time adapting to China as a Superpower.
All three have pride and history on the line, making it rather difficult for them to accept China as their superior.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Like I said, all they have to do is wait. Fear-mongering over an anti-carrier missile is pointless.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
Russia, Japan, and Korea are the three that are going to have the hardest time adapting to China as a Superpower.
All three have pride and history on the line, making it rather difficult for them to accept China as their superior.
I really can't see Russia being particularly happy with a full-superpower China on their doorstep.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6578|Columbus, OH
Last year or earlier in the year, the U.S. Navy improved their phalanx or defense system not much fanfare about it, but I sure hope it is able to track and destroy a missle flying faster than MACH 10 before it can do any damage.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia

Spark wrote:

I really can't see Russia being particularly happy with a full-superpower China on their doorstep.
and what can russia really do to influence the matter in any way? today they can't even put a few fires out in here ffs.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard