Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6545|San Diego, CA, USA

Washington Times wrote:

The Virginia man suspected in a drunken-driving crash that killed a Catholic nun in Prince William County this weekend is an illegal immigrant and repeat offender who was awaiting deportation and whom federal immigration authorities had released pending further proceedings, police said Monday.

Carlos Montano, a county resident, has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and drunken driving. Mr. Montano had been arrested two other times on drunken-driving charges, and on at least one of those occasions county police reported him to federal authorities.

"We have determined that he is in the country illegally. He has been arrested by Prince William County Police in the past, said police spokesman Jonathan Perok.

He said U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was notified at the time of one of those arrests. "At the time of this incident, the accident yesterday, he was in the deportation process and was out on his recognizance for court proceedings."
Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 … cache_true

---

I wonder if an American Citizen would had been released after killing someone with their vehicle in a drunk driving crash?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Yes, a US citizen would be released as well.  Drunk drivers get away with murder in this country.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6704|67.222.138.85
allegedly
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
I changed the title to of this thread from "drunk driving accident" to "drunk driving crash" because I do not believe drunk driving is an accident.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6470|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Ilocano wrote:

Yes, a US citizen would be released as well.  Drunk drivers get away with murder in this country.
Sure do. Doesn't have to be a US citizen either. I know a man who was released due to an error in the booking by the arresting officer. Needless to say after walking out from court the man took the next plane back home and never went back.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
I don't think you read that correctly, he killed her after being released.

He is in jail now, where the ' authorities ' should be that allow this.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

Ilocano wrote:

Not necessarily...

a few years ago a jury in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, came back with a first degree murder conviction in a DUI case involving a traffic accident with two deaths. They recommended a sentence of life without the possibility of parole. The prosecutor had asked for the death penalty.

http://www.duiblog.com/2007/01/27/the-d … for-dui-2/

It seems that the punishment for killing someone while drunk driving heavily depends on the state, the situation, the jury, and the prosecution.

MADD is currently pushing for the death penalty for DUI-related deaths.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-08-04 06:15:21)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Harmor wrote:

I wonder if an American Citizen would had been released after killing someone with their vehicle in a drunk driving crash?
It's not like you have crowded prisons as an issue.

Oh, wait.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
jord
+2,382|6675|The North, beyond the wall.
Its manslaughter at best not murder.
13rin
+977|6476

ATG wrote:

I don't think you read that correctly, he killed her after being released.

He is in jail now, where the ' authorities ' should be that allow this.
Right... He was out awaiting his deportation.  Yea... Lemme show back up so you can kick me out. I promise I'll come back.  What's the fucking logic there?  The only truly free people in America seem to be criminals/illegeals.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6693|NJ
Drunk Drivers don't get away with murder, they got locked up for usually min of 5 years. Hell even if there isn't murder they're are mandatory jail terms for DWI's.  But you stupid "ever child is sacred" group don't understand this. Also the DWI laws that are being passed are crazy and actually make more people drive drunk, you can get a DWI if you're sleeping in your car. Also I can see parking regulations pushing people to drunk drive, out with your friends have a few too many, responsible to know that you shouldn't drive but will get a hulking ticket if you leave your car where it is.

So it's all subjective to how you look at things, you look at something as the end all evil but really don't look at the facts. Also in accidents where someone has Booze on their breath(even if it's one drink) they're automatically at fault.

Have fun with your witch hunt and your money grab. Can't wait to see how many of your childrens if not your own lives get ruined by bullshit laws. Also news like this will push for stricker harder laws that will only effect a US Citizen.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2010-08-04 09:31:16)

Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

AussieReaper wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Oh, wait.
Our cost per inmate is two or three times that of other states.  We should just contract to other states our prisoners (many of them illegal aliens btw).

I'm voting for Jerry Brown (Democrat).
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Oh, wait.
Our cost per inmate is two or three times that of other states.  We should just contract to other states our prisoners (many of them illegal aliens btw).

I'm voting for Jerry Brown (Democrat).
What certain European nations do with illegals who commit serious crimes is send them to their countries of origin and pay these countries to hold them in their own prisons.  This still ends up being cheaper than keeping them in the prisons of the countries they trespass in.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6713

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Drunk Drivers don't get away with murder, they got locked up for usually min of 5 years. Hell even if there isn't murder they're are mandatory jail terms for DWI's.  But you stupid "ever child is sacred" group don't understand this. Also the DWI laws that are being passed are crazy and actually make more people drive drunk, you can get a DWI if you're sleeping in your car. Also I can see parking regulations pushing people to drunk drive, out with your friends have a few too many, responsible to know that you shouldn't drive but will get a hulking ticket if you leave your car where it is.

So it's all subjective to how you look at things, you look at something as the end all evil but really don't look at the facts. Also in accidents where someone has Booze on their breath(even if it's one drink) they're automatically at fault.

Have fun with your witch hunt and your money grab. Can't wait to see how many of your childrens if not your own lives get ruined by bullshit laws. Also news like this will push for stricker harder laws that will only effect a US Citizen.
So every child isn't sacred?  Are you saying that kids and adults should beware of drunk drivers that are angry because of stiff penalties?
I think the laws should be even tougher, maybe then it would stop people from drinking and driving.

And if a person has too much to drink and has to leave their car overnight
and possibly risk a ticket or having their car towed. 
Driving drunk driving is a better option?

Maybe if you want to go out and drink you can make other travel arrangements for that evening?   Common sense

Last edited by Catbox (2010-08-04 20:08:40)

Love is the answer
Turquoise
O Canada

Catbox wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

So every child isn't sacred?  Are you saying that kids and adults should beware of drunk drivers that are angry because of stiff penalties?
I think the laws should be even tougher, maybe then it would stop people from drinking and driving.

Maybe if you want to go out and drink you can make other travel arrangements for that evening?   Common sense
I'm not defending the act of drunk driving, but I think fass's point is that we need to keep a level head about this.  In some cases, it's understandable that killing someone while driving intoxicated should involve a 2nd or even 1st degree murder charge.

However, when groups like MADD take things so far as to suggest the death penalty be involved, that's really going too far in my opinion.  Also, I think most cases of killing someone while driving drunk should incur no more than a 2nd degree murder charge.  We should reserve premeditated murder for the most negligent and reckless cases of drunk driving murders.

That being said, I think even a manslaughter charge while driving drunk should permanently revoke your license.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Catbox wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Someone correct me on this, but didn't they used to send a paddy wagon into the red-light districts of cities of old picking up all the drunks?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I'm not completely sure where being an illegal immigrant fits into the drunk driving issue in this country.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'm not completely sure where being an illegal immigrant fits into the drunk driving issue in this country.
He, being an illegal, shouldn't be in this country in the first place to have been able to kill this person.  This goes for all illegals who commit crimes...if they weren't physically here then the couldn't had committed the crime in the first place here.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Where exactly does it fit in with this article? It's like saying that illegal immigrants are contaminating a lake with water. As far as I'm concerned, this is just the hot topic hook to get people to read an article that would otherwise be indistinguishable from thousands of others.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you suggesting that it doesn't matter if someone is illegal commits a crime - - it doesn't make it more or less heinous to law abiders?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

They're two different crimes. It's like saying "local shoplifter slays 14 abroad in crack-induced rampage."

Harmor wrote:

it doesn't matter if someone [an illegal immigrant] commits a crime - - it doesn't make it more or less heinous to law abiding citizens.
That too.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6648|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

lol sounds like an argument from someone who has a DUI or 2... Never saw it defended so hard.. I guess drunk drivers are just misunderstood huh?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Mental note:  Make sure to get drunk first and use a car for murder.  More likely to get manslaughter than murder...

Don't like to get a parking violation, well, don't get over the blood alcohol level.  Simple, really...
jord
+2,382|6675|The North, beyond the wall.
Its a lot bigger social faux pas than it deserves to be. I know people that have driven over the limit many times, uneventfully.

Like I said before, it certainly isn't murder.
13rin
+977|6476

jord wrote:

Its a lot bigger social faux pas than it deserves to be. I know people that have driven over the limit many times, uneventfully.

Like I said before, it certainly isn't murder.
True, but what politician is going to stand up and say "Enough is enough.  We're hitting these people too hard."?  He'd be destroyed next election cycle with that one statement - "He's soft on Drunks!"  That point also rings true with respect to the war on drugs.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard