CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6126|Carnoustie MASSIF
So, some of you may know I'm away to college in September to do Computer Software Design, and I want to get some studying in early.

I downloaded the trial of Visual Studio 2010, and I'm googling my tits off trying to find a good tutorial, but to no avail. Was wondering if any of you guys know of any good ones?

Much respect if you can link me
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5480|Bolingbrook, Illinois
because you want a tutorial;

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/bb308891.aspx

but i reccommend a book.  honestly, i think C# sucks compared to C++, so i dont know much about it, but i learned C++ from one of herb schildt's books and i can definately reccommend him.  he probably has some decent c# books too.

if you want C++, get C++: A Beginner's Guide.

edit: unless you want the tutorial simply for VS2010...

im pretty sure my first link provides information on that too though.

Last edited by HaiBai (2010-07-21 16:53:05)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6687|Devon, England
Why C#?
jsnipy
+3,276|6518|...

HaiBai wrote:

but i reccommend a book.  honestly, i think C# sucks compared to C++, so i dont know much about it, but i learned C++ from one of herb schildt's
shhh ... Sounds like you are regurgitating something a professor told you. You will find better jobs with C# than you would with C++ anyway.

Cam, try the virtual labs tons of topics - including C#, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa570323.aspx

You essentially log onto a virtual machine pre configured with the dev tools and work against a lesson (a pdf you download)

Last edited by jsnipy (2010-07-21 17:08:06)

HaiBai

jsnipy wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

but i reccommend a book.  honestly, i think C# sucks compared to C++, so i dont know much about it, but i learned C++ from one of herb schildt's
shhh ... Sounds like you are regurgitating something a professor told you. You will find better jobs with C# than you would with C++ anyway.

Cam, try the virtual labs tons of topics including C#, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa570323.aspx
C++ is faster and better.  its not like the switch is hard though if i ever decided to make C#, java, python, or even masm my main language.
jsnipy
+3,276|6518|...

HaiBai wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Cam, try the virtual labs tons of topics including C#, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa570323.aspx
C++ is faster and better.  its not like the switch is hard though if i ever decided to make C#, java, python, or even masm my main language.
You sound totally clueless. Assembly is faster, then why don't use it?

If make an argument for using Java then it would make more sense.

What's your work experience?

edit: To say any language "is better" is really a nonsense statement.

Last edited by jsnipy (2010-07-21 17:15:51)

HaiBai

jsnipy wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

because assembly is a bitch.

honestly, i could use assembly, but its not worth it.

if you have a choice between C++, java, and C#, why would you pick anything but C++?  because compatibility is that important

EDIT: jsnipy, ill be a junior this year.  most of my programs are hacks, ex. aimbots and shit.  i dont have any work experience.  well actually i sold hacks for a game called maplestory and made around $950, but thats it

Last edited by HaiBai (2010-07-21 17:16:53)

jsnipy
+3,276|6518|...

HaiBai wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

if you have a choice between C++, java, and C#, why would you pick anything but C++?  because compatibility is that important
Do you understand byte-code or virtual machines?

How about msil or jit?

edit: Well I have working for 12 years working on large enterprise systems and am extremely current in my trade. I have made over six figures for a few years now and have made a few extra thousands with side work. I'm not trying to be a dick, it just irritates me to hear academic mantras repeated by drones.

C++ is still relevant, its not the "best", because, there is no best

Last edited by jsnipy (2010-07-21 17:23:32)

HaiBai

jsnipy wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Do you understand byte-code or virtual machines?

How about msil or jit?

edit: Well I have working for 12 years working on large enterprise systems and am extremely current in my trade. I have made over six figures for a few years now and have made a few extra thousands with side work. I'm not trying to be a dick, it just irritates me to hear academic mantras repeated by drones.

C++ is still relevant, its not the "best", because, there is no best
what reverse engineer doesn't know opcodes?  and i deal with virtualized code all the time in reversing as well.

i have no need for msil or jit atm.

also, so does my dad, although hes been doing it for 17 years.

edit: i agree, with an unbiased opinion, there is no best.

Last edited by HaiBai (2010-07-21 17:29:12)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85
Not going to pretend I know the work-related ramifications of learning this language or that, but if you're picking up general programming in general why start with C#? Directed as much at jsnipy as camm.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6126|Carnoustie MASSIF
Flaming - I'm away to start a two year course at college (not uni) doing computer software development and one of the main things is learning c#.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6703|67.222.138.85
ah

Over here college essentially = uni, I assumed it was a more broad education in computer science kind of thing than a technical school.

Still though, if you could find a good tutorial in whatever object oriented language suits your fancy that would do you more good than a poor tutorial in C#. Sorry I can't be more help in finding a good C# tutorial.
jsnipy
+3,276|6518|...

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ah

Over here college essentially = uni, I assumed it was a more broad education in computer science kind of thing than a technical school.

Still though, if you could find a good tutorial in whatever object oriented language suits your fancy that would do you more good than a poor tutorial in C#. Sorry I can't be more help in finding a good C# tutorial.
Yeah Java, C#, any of those languages that have garbage collection, memory management, etc. They allow you to focus more on your design rather dealing with arguably mundane choirs.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6762|UK
After uni i decided programming as a career wasn't for me, but out of all my mates I don't know a single one that uses Java in their job, even though it seems every uni teaches it as the main language (for the reasons you stated).

Personally I loved c# because its easy as hell coming from 2 years of java programming, made my dissertation very easy, would have been fucked doing it in c++.

Camm - MSDN is the place for c# help tbh, I also signed up on the XNA forums to get help there, making some games using XNA wouldn't be a bad idea, first its fun and therefore easy to stay motivated, 2nd there are plenty of libraries out there and 3rd there are plenty of forums dedicated to that sort of thing.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

http://www.appdev.com/

I got the $995 frontpage offer for $495 due to my corporate contact.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard