Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6553|San Diego, CA, USA
What are the 99'ers?  They are people who have been receiving unemployment checks for 99 weeks (1.9 years), whose welfare checks are about to or have already expired.

Can these people reenter the workforce after being out of it for so long?

Are they unwilling to relocate?  Unwilling to retrain?  Unwilling to "Change"?

Vice President Biden said, "there's no possibility to restore 8 million jobs lost in the Great Recession."

Should we then extend unemployment benefits beyond 99 weeks?

EDIT: Good article: http://www.nationalreview.com/agenda/23 … ihan-salam

Last edited by Harmor (2010-07-08 20:46:22)

{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6764|San Antonio, Texas
Here's a start:

Stop sending them free money.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5706|College Park, MD
le'ts put them to work improvin gamerica like the works progress administration
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6776|PNW

Even with 'free labor,' you still have to pay for materials and training...and even then the gov'd still be sending them checks.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6721
Conscription for pog/trade jobs in the military.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5241|Cleveland, Ohio

Cybargs wrote:

Conscription for pog/trade jobs in the military.
jord
+2,382|6682|The North, beyond the wall.
There are millions of people unemployed, considerably more than there are job vacancies. You're always going to have unemployed people, even if all the jobs were filled. You're always going to be giving unemployed citizens welfare to live, because a Western 1st world nation that donates in excess of $12 billion a year in foreign aid can't be seen to have it's own citizens with nowhere to live or nothing to eat.

So just deal with it already. Your tax is squandered in far worse and larger ways, and if that doesn't bother you as much as welfare does then get a tax free job or move away.
13rin
+977|6483
Hopefully they go get a fucking job.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6533|Global Command
Hopefully O and Joe will stop talking down the economy.

I mean, what the holy fuck.
rdx-fx
+955|6596
What do we do with 99'ers?

Why, we take them off the unemployment rolls, and count them as a success of course!

That's another person that is no longer on unemployment! (so they must be ununemployed, which is the same as employed, iknorite?!)

The economy must be getting better!

[/sarcasm]
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6700|NJ
First of all unemployment isn't free money, it's paid into by you and your employer. If you want to stop unemployment stop taking it out of my checks.

Second of all here comes a huge spike in crime. When and if they start giving these people welfare it's going to become horrible in this country. I've pretty much always worked minus the IT bubble burst and I would hate the money to be changed to "Welfare" that would be a kick to my pride and I'd be so fucking pissed that nothing has been done to create jobs.
rdx-fx
+955|6596
I'm all for a more personal responsibility based unemployment system, personally.

Namely, the unemployment money you pay into the system is exactly the amount of unemployment money you are eligible to take out of the system when you get laid off.

Never worked a day in your life, but have no disability preventing you from finding some form of work?
Fuck off, go leech off your parents.

I have sympathy for the willing but unable,
I have no sympathy for the unwilling but able.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
jord
+2,382|6682|The North, beyond the wall.

cpt.fass1 wrote:

First of all unemployment isn't free money, it's paid into by you and your employer. If you want to stop unemployment stop taking it out of my checks.

Second of all here comes a huge spike in crime. When and if they start giving these people welfare it's going to become horrible in this country. I've pretty much always worked minus the IT bubble burst and I would hate the money to be changed to "Welfare" that would be a kick to my pride and I'd be so fucking pissed that nothing has been done to create jobs.
Id agree, being in welfare does give a base of thought to commit crimes to make a bit more cash.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Update: Senate Democrats Poised to Extend Jobless Aid

thanks to two Maine GOP RINOs Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins to break the filibuster in the Senate.'

BTW, the `payoff for your vote` is retroactive.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6533|Global Command
Well, everybody is getting bailed out except for me so why not.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
I need to rename this thread the 129'ers...

Good opinion piece on the extension:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/07/ … -congress/

Last edited by Harmor (2010-07-20 20:22:27)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5362|London, England

Harmor wrote:

I need to rename this thread the 129'ers...

Good opinion piece on the extension:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/07/ … -congress/
Man, over 4th of July weekend I met quite a few people who were enjoying their summer at the beach instead of out actively looking for a job. Some of those people had been sitting on unemployment for well over a year. I guess this keeps the party going into next summer
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
cpt.fass1
+329|6700|NJ
It's a funny thing when jobs out there don't pay as much as unemployment.

Thank god we have a flood of qualified workers out there to keep the money in the cooperation's pockets.

I wish I was on unemployement, it's the only decent pay secure job out there.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Thank god we have a flood of qualified workers out there to keep the money in the cooperation's pockets.

Scum.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
cpt.fass1
+329|6700|NJ
You still didn't answer the question of what you do john?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Sure I did. Army veteran currently finishing up my degree in Electrical Engineering with a minor in International Transportation and Trade (business). Will be done in December.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6671

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Home Depot "workers" make more than the weekly unemployment rate.
cpt.fass1
+329|6700|NJ

JohnG@lt wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Sure I did. Army veteran currently finishing up my degree in Electrical Engineering with a minor in International Transportation and Trade (business). Will be done in December.
Ohh so Student. Can't wait till you get in the real world, I'm sure you do great(that's actually not scarcasm).

Wait like an electrican?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6671

cpt.fass1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Ohh so Student. Can't wait till you get in the real world, I'm sure you do great(that's actually not scarcasm).

Wait like an electrican?
Sarcasm?  Electricians can't design/build IC's or power plants/grids...

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-07-21 14:26:39)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard