PureBeef
+3|5084
The US Supreme Court ruled last week that giving support to groups listed as terrorist is illegal, even if that support is designed to end violence.

The upshot is that work to end the world's ongoing armed conflicts through peaceful means - mediation support, or training in how to peacefully resolve disputes - comes with a risk of 15 years in prison.

Continue reading the main story
The US government and its allies have been calling for inclusive and political solutions to the world's most intractable conflicts - this sometimes means talking to 'terrorists'
Andy Carl
The quiet diplomacy with IRA and loyalist paramilitaries which helped bring about the Good Friday agreement - meetings, training seminars and facilitated dialogues - would now be deemed a terrorist offence.

Those who engaged with the Sunni Awakening Councils in Iraq may, it turns out, have been breaking the law.

And those who are currently supporting the Afghan or Somali governments' policies of engagement with their sworn enemies could be at risk of prosecution.

BBC News website 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/10432265.stm

So thats it, another excuse for the superpowers to use violence to solve the worlds problems.
BVC
+325|6697
I can see a reason not to give such groups money/resources, even if you can be certain they'll be used for good, as it increases the total pool of money/resources available to the terrorist.

If I had $1,000 from the anti-abortion paramilitary and was told to donate some money to charity, as well as acquire terrorism supplies, then I might spend $500 on each.  If the pro-abortionists then gave me $500 and told me to do good for society with it, then I might (assuming I was an "honest" terrorist) donate it to charity, and then acquire $1,000 worth of terrorism supplies.  The net result would be a bunch of families have food for a week, but I'd ultimately be able to cause $1,000 worth of damage as opposed to the $500 worth of damage which I was able to before someone gave me more money.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5863
EPIC LOLZ!!!!!!!

Isn't America supporting Iranian exiles in Iraq, forgot the groups name but they are classed as a terrorist group by the U.S and E.U if I remember correctly.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Op-Ed, not researched journalistic article wrote:

The UK, unfortunately, has similar laws.

The EU also keeps a list of groups categorised as terrorist.
By Andy Carl
Executive Director, Conciliation Resources

Conciliation Resources is an independent charity working internationally to prevent violent conflict, promote justice and build lasting peace in war-torn societies.
A more even-handed view:

The 36-page majority opinion, written by Chief Justice John Roberts, says that Congress intended to establish a broad prohibition against any assistance to terrorist organizations. To prove a violation, prosecutors must show that the individual providing the help or support knew the receiving group was on the US terror list or was an organization that had engaged in terrorist activities.

Justice Stephen Breyer and two other justices dissented, arguing that the statute’s scope was narrower than the majority had found. The law should apply only when the assistance facilitates an illegal act by a terrorist group, Justice Breyer wrote.

“We are deeply disappointed,” said David Cole, a Georgetown University law professor who argued the case at the high court on behalf of a group of humanitarian workers.

“In the name of fighting terrorism, the court has said that the First Amendment permits Congress to make it a crime to work for peace and human rights,” he said. “That is wrong.”

Others hailed the ruling as an important step forward in the international fight against terrorism.

“One cannot provide ‘humanitarian’ support in the form of training, expert advice or assistance, service, and personnel to a terrorist organization without helping their bottom line and facilitating violence, destruction, and murder,” said Robert Sugarman, national chairman of the Anti-Defamation League.

“There is no such thing as ‘good’ aid to a terrorist group, because all aid is fungible,” said Richard Samp, chief counsel at the Washington Legal Foundation. “When aid is provided for a terrorist group’s humanitarian activities, that frees up resources that the group can then re-allocate to its terrorist activities.”

Others disagree. “Training groups to pursue peaceful resolution of their disputes should be encouraged, not made criminal,” said Sharon Bradford Franklin, senior counsel with the Constitution Center.

“The onus is now on Congress and the Obama administration,” said Shayana Kadidal, senior attorney with the Center for Constitutional Rights. The government must now move “to ensure that humanitarian groups may engage in human rights advocacy, training in nonviolent conflict resolution, and humanitarian assistance in crisis zones without fearing criminal prosecution.”
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
So much for pragmatism, oh well.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

So much for pragmatism, oh well.
IE so much for negotiating with terrorists.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
So there'd be no peace in Northern Ireland, the West Bank and so on under these rules.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5751|شمال
Army chief says talks with Taliban should start soon

The head of the British army believes politicians and military chiefs should talk to members of the Taliban sooner rather than later.

Gen Sir David Richards said that in every counter-insurgency campaign, there was "always a point which you start to negotiate with each other".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/10427983.stm
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

So there'd be no peace in Northern Ireland, the West Bank and so on under these rules.
That's not what it says at all. It doesn't prevent governments from negotiating peace. It prevents NGOs and private citizens from providing aid in any form to recognized terrorist groups. There is a distinct difference.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard