Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

11 Bravo wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

What a stupid statement. That depends entirely what you're going to do for the rest of your life. I can pretty safely say that I am never going to need to use calculus in my life. However if you do engineering, or another mathematics based field 12 grade math, and higher, is something you will use every day.
Building tier 1 3D graphics engines like the sort from ID and EPIC take serious math skills.  I only delved into 3D graphics for a bit, but the whole gamut of geometry, trigonometry, physics, and calculus come into play.
dont computer programs do the math for you?
And who writes the computer programs that do the math for you?  I'm not talking about the ones who use the Engines, but the ones who create the Engines.  They have to come up with the complex mathematical equations to handle realistic 3D environments.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio

Ilocano wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Building tier 1 3D graphics engines like the sort from ID and EPIC take serious math skills.  I only delved into 3D graphics for a bit, but the whole gamut of geometry, trigonometry, physics, and calculus come into play.
And who writes the computer programs that do the math for you?  I'm not talking about the ones who use the Engines, but the ones who create the Engines.  They have to come up with the complex mathematical equations to handle realistic 3D environments.
well yes but not too many people do that or aspire to do that compared to most profession choices.  so, we can pull small examples or just admit most people will never use that stuff.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD
What do 3D graphics engines have to do with anything anyway? Yeah obviously if you're doing technical shit you're probably gonna need calculus. If you're a middle manager at some company you'll be fine just knowing how to open Excel.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

11 Bravo wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

well yes but not too many people do that or aspire to do that compared to most profession choices.  so, we can pull small examples or just admit most people will never use that stuff.
I studied Software Engineering in Uni.  I learned core level programming, micro-code, assembly, compilers, drivers, and the like.  I learned how to write software to control hardware.  I don't do any of the like now.  My career focus has been Oracle and .NET development.  But, because of my core level understanding of computers, I easily come up with solutions when the programming tools I have to work with don't do what I need them to do.

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

What do 3D graphics engines have to do with anything anyway? Yeah obviously if you're doing technical shit you're probably gonna need calculus. If you're a middle manager at some company you'll be fine just knowing how to open Excel.
I'll gladly swap my fortune 300 corporate job to be the lead project manager for ID's or EPIC's latest Engine.

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-06-29 10:17:16)

11 Bravo
Banned

Ilocano wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I studied Software Engineering in Uni.  I learned core level programming, micro-code, assembly, compilers, drivers, and the like.  I learned how to write software to control hardware.  I don't do any of the like now.  My career focus has been Oracle and .NET development.  But, because of my core level understanding of computers, I easily come up with solutions when the programming tools I have to work with don't do what I need them to do.
no offense but my response wasnt asking for your resume.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

11 Bravo wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

no offense but my response wasnt asking for your resume.
I noted as such to show you that what I learned was not what I am now directly doing.  But what I did learn, has been the foundation that has allowed me to be good at what I do.

Err, ok, so yeah, most people won't use that stuff.  I concede.

Last edited by Ilocano (2010-06-29 10:22:32)

Ryan
+1,230|6842|Alberta, Canada

RTHKI wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Alot of math is useless imo. Like grade 12 math is useless, whereas calculus is not.
what is grade 12 math. cause where i went for most its precalc, for some calc
I forget, really lol. I took it in grade 11, and took calculus in grade 12.

Just a bunch of polynomial shit, trig identities, permutations/combinations, stuff like that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

11 Bravo wrote:

You need to understand the maths to know which maths to ask the computer to do, same asa you need basic maths to get Excel to work for you.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6644
congratz keep on the good work
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6644

Uzique wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

well it is canada.  i heard (dunno if its true) some soccer league in canada has a rule that if you go up by more than 5 goals, you lose the game.  ya thats right, if you are kicking ass you get punished.
high school education standards in the us are pretty shitty too, no?

unless you have money and go to a private prep-school you're not sailing very high? social stratification? inner-city ghetto schools?

eleven-bravo meheecaaans not graduating?
yeah they are man, and my HS was once ranked 7th in the nation...... no matter which hs u go to, same old shit, went to a Catholic one in Cinci. OH and a very good HS here in Chicago land area... same old shitz...

Last edited by blademaster (2010-06-29 20:57:35)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Nothing to it. Just a bunch of people who can't remember half the stuff you didn't learn acting like ponces in front of a microphone. I only went to mine because it was insisted upon, but I was damned if I was going to wear a stupid cap and gown.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Nothing to it. Just a bunch of people who can't remember half the stuff you didn't learn acting like ponces in front of a microphone. I only went to mine because it was insisted upon, but I was damned if I was going to wear a stupid cap and gown.
Nice work, I didn't either - must have stood out like a beacon in the Albert Hall
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

I admit I cracked up a little bit when the people behind me said, "Man, I feel like we're in a fuckin' Harry Potter movie or something!" referring to the attire and reading of speeches, etc.

Ceremonies are boring for the participants, but I went for my parents. They were proud and enjoyed it, it's the least I could do.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6365|California
"blah blah blah"
"Thank you"
"Peace Out"
/win
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

mtb0minime wrote:

I admit I cracked up a little bit when the people behind me said, "Man, I feel like we're in a fuckin' Harry Potter movie or something!" referring to the attire and reading of speeches, etc.

Ceremonies are boring for the participants, but I went for my parents. They were proud and enjoyed it, it's the least I could do.
you need to come to english schools if you want to see harry-potter education
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6631

did you sing new york, new york at a karaoke club while drunk off patron?
Ryan
+1,230|6842|Alberta, Canada

Gooners wrote:

did you sing new york, new york at a karaoke club while drunk off patron?
No man, it wasn't at a bar. They bussed us out to a little farm and we partied out there. It's called safe grad so we don't leave and get our drunk asses into a car lol.
11 Bravo
Banned
why would you make a thread for something so insignificant?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
oksferd graduate
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6774|Noizyland

I've got to say I don't think High School graduation is really something to get excited about. I mean, yeah, it's an achievement I suppose and as I'm fairly certain that I'm the only person at one of my jobs who actually finished school I can say with some authority that there are definitely benefits. But the achievement of finishing High School is really one that warrants a pat on the back and a kind word rather than a ceremony with caps and gowns and crying mothers. At my end of my High School the headmaster pretty much just said "well done now fuck off and do something meaningful", (only more eloquently.) That's the message that needs to be given to people; stops them from being complacent.

Congratulations anyway Ryan. Now fuck off and do something meaningful.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard