Poll

?

Yes57%57% - 41
No42%42% - 30
Total: 71
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
Not to mention a PC is multi purpose, whereas a console is quite limited.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6257|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Jaekus wrote:

Not to mention a PC is multi purpose, whereas a console is quite limited.
Yeah I love how some console gamers take the price argument into account without remembering they need a PC along with their console to live in the 21st century... console + low end PC = same price as a good PC...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6661|Tampa Bay Florida

Miggle wrote:

tbh it's quite easy to put down money on your PC every 5 years and still run everything well.
Well, I'm sure you're probably right, but at the end of the day there are tons more console gamers than PC gamers.  I would not say it's because of the gameplay... (although of course console games are usually watered down compared to PC only) I think it has to do with the fact that you need the technical know how to run a gaming PC, while a 5 year old could figure out how to use a console.  At the end of the day consoles are more accessible.  The reason I bought a 360 back in 2006 was because all my friends IRL were console gamers, the people I knew when playing BF2 or in my CoD clan were all hundreds of thousands of miles away. 

And I must say, sitting in a couch while playing games is much more comfortable than sitting in my cheapass desk chair.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6713|FUCK UBISOFT

Spearhead wrote:

Miggle wrote:

tbh it's quite easy to put down money on your PC every 5 years and still run everything well.
Well, I'm sure you're probably right, but at the end of the day there are tons more console gamers than PC gamers.  I would not say it's because of the gameplay... (although of course console games are usually watered down compared to PC only) I think it has to do with the fact that you need the technical know how to run a gaming PC, while a 5 year old could figure out how to use a console.  At the end of the day consoles are more accessible.  The reason I bought a 360 back in 2006 was because all my friends IRL were console gamers, the people I knew when playing BF2 or in my CoD clan were all hundreds of thousands of miles away. 

And I must say, sitting in a couch while playing games is much more comfortable than sitting in my cheapass desk chair.
I don't think that the reason consoles are more popular is because people are too stupid to play on PC. I think it's because consoles are vastly more advertised. Half the console market knows nothing about gaming on PCs.

That said, they aren't very different any more. Anybody who thinks PC games aren't just as watered down as console games has been under a rock for the past 5 years.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

Miggle wrote:

I don't think that the reason consoles are more popular is because people are too stupid to play on PC. I think it's because consoles are vastly more advertised. Half the console market knows nothing about gaming on PCs.
This is very true, as being a console gamer for 15 years before making the gradual transition to PC over the past 5 or so has opened my eyes to how richer a PC experience can be.

That said, they aren't very different any more. Anybody who thinks PC games aren't just as watered down as console games has been under a rock for the past 5 years.
This is also true - BC2 is a good example.

The main thing consoles have over PC is the ability to have a group of people in a room playing the same game, and even if you're not playing it can be fun watching. PC does come across as being very isolated as a comparison.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6713|FUCK UBISOFT

Jaekus wrote:

Miggle wrote:

This is very true, as being a console gamer for 15 years before making the gradual transition to PC over the past 5 or so has opened my eyes to how richer a PC experience can be.

The main thing consoles have over PC is the ability to have a group of people in a room playing the same game, and even if you're not playing it can be fun watching. PC does come across as being very isolated as a comparison.
Splitscreen is dying.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6517
Since consoles are slowly trying to become full-blown PC's, no. Eventually microsoft will just sell you a dell and call it an xbox.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6661|Tampa Bay Florida

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

Since consoles are slowly trying to become full-blown PC's, no. Eventually microsoft will just sell you a dell and call it an xbox.
And it will also be a TV.
FloppY_
­

Spearhead wrote:

iNeedUrFace4Soup wrote:

And it will also be a TV.
Protip: ~½ of samsung's PC displays have tuners built in and personally I'd much rather have a semi-powerfull HTPC than a BluRay player & HDD/DVD recorder or WEB-integrated HD TV...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2010-06-25 18:46:53)

Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

Miggle wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Splitscreen is dying.
I thought it would be increasing given that tvs have become a lot bigger than they used to be.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6713|FUCK UBISOFT

Jaekus wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Splitscreen is dying.
I thought it would be increasing given that tvs have become a lot bigger than they used to be.
Loads of games that would have splitscreen only have crappy online multiplayer.
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
I guess it's the progression of technology that drives the market (you can sell more peripherals), and online console gaming can be marketed as being the "new" thing, whereas split screen is old school.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

Miggle wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Splitscreen is dying.
Loads of games that would have splitscreen only have crappy online multiplayer.
At least bungie always got it right with splitscreen, I think some game makers are beginning to realize you can't go without splitscreen but there are those that forget such things.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Polls like this were being made back in the 90's.

No, I don't think we are. A great deal of console games are simultaneously released on PC. Despite PC users' valid complaint of oversimplified controls, the industry is STILL there, and Steam is a behemoth.

If anything, as the distinction between consoles and PC's grows more vague, they'll become the same thing.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6410|Brisbane, Australia

A slow death of quality, yes.

A slow death of the platform, no.

Last edited by TimmmmaaaaH (2010-06-26 00:56:58)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

A slow death of quality, yes.

A slow death of the platform, no.
Quality comes and goes. The industry's primary problem is that games are becoming so complex to develop that it occasionally takes priority over making it fun. But this is being circumvented more and more, the way I see it, with quality back-to-basics indies and strongly-maintained classics and titles.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6624
Exceptional game is made, game sells well
sequels and copies are made, riding on the success of the original
gradually the sequels and copies over-saturate the market and become less profitable
Finally the point is reached that it's better to try something new than to re-hash the same shit yet again
return to step 1

We're somewhere in-between 2 and 3, Call of Duty being the original game.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
PC won't die because as much as I prefer consoles you can't play an in depth RTS on a console. Nor a flight sim. Nor a large fps, like ARMA2.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6536|Area 51

jord wrote:

PC won't die because as much as I prefer consoles you can't play an in depth RTS on a console. Nor a flight sim. Nor a large fps, like ARMA2.
Not yet.
FloppY_
­

RDMC wrote:

jord wrote:

Not yet.
You can actually.. it's just that no RTS has taken proper advantage of the PS3's mouse & keyboard support
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
Quite frankly only unreal tournament has taken advantage of the mouse and keyboard support, no other game has.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
jord
I would have kept my Ps3 if they had something like a new Command and Conquer on it, or a Total war series game.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6536|Area 51

jord wrote:

I would have kept my Ps3 if they had something like a new Command and Conquer on it, or a Total war series game.
So..you couldn't give a shit about the 1000 other console exclusives?
jord

RDMC wrote:

jord wrote:

So..you couldn't give a shit about the 1000 other console exclusives?
I got a 360
jaymz9350
+54|6548

Jaekus wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Splitscreen is dying.
Logically yes, but why allow split screen so 2 people can play on one console/game when they can make you buy 2 so you and your friend can play together.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard