mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6720|Sydney, Australia

Defiance wrote:

Edit: To be clear, that's not to say music doesn't have the depth of other arts, just that you don't see the equivelant of this tripe in books or art galleries, besides Twilight, of course.
You ever been to the Tate Modern?

There were some Monet's, and other classics, but a majority of the stuff there was tripe. For example, one of the installations was a room with a projector, showing a black and white film of a guy pouring oil onto his penis.

like.. seriously.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

If you listen to classics, you're distinguished. If you listen to crap, you're the lowest common denominator. If you visit a well-endowed art museum, you're cultured. If you look at deviantart pr0n, you're a geek.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
Back in olden times listening to concerts, opera etc was the peak of artistic appreciation.
Its slipped a bit, I'm going to blame rap.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Defiance
+438|6670

mcminty wrote:

Defiance wrote:

Edit: To be clear, that's not to say music doesn't have the depth of other arts, just that you don't see the equivelant of this tripe in books or art galleries, besides Twilight, of course.
You ever been to the Tate Modern?

There were some Monet's, and other classics, but a majority of the stuff there was tripe. For example, one of the installations was a room with a projector, showing a black and white film of a guy pouring oil onto his penis.

like.. seriously.
Exceptions to everything. In my opinion, this is experimentation by people who are genuinely interested in the arts (mostly, at least). IE, even professional comics have jokes that flop; not everything will be a hit. The thing is, most people see that most modern art is shit because standards are high and not a lot of it meets the cut. On the other hand, the shit storm of ludicrously bad music is embraced by the masses for reasons already said.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6438|Brisbane, Australia

Dilbert_X wrote:

Back in olden times listening to concerts, opera etc was the peak of artistic appreciation.
Good thing Lady Gaga is doing her part to bring music back to its artistic peak.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6325|England

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Good thing Lady Gaga is doing her part to bring music back to its artistic peak.
https://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab24/0ompaLoompa/NotSureIfSerious.jpg
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6626|UK
He's not serious. He's trolling Dilbert_X because of the Lady Gaga thread.
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6325|England
Ah I see. I forgot about that thread.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Trolling? On the Internet?

https://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab24/0ompaLoompa/NotSureIfSerious.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
the 'serious discussion' in this thread baffles me.

of course listening to music is a serious hobby and interest - a serious area of academic study, and a serious area of critical/artistic appreciation, too.

the argument that music is a 'background activity' is like saying fine-art is worthless because you can take a fleeting glance at it and not step-to the portrait for an actual appreciation. it's like saying sculpture is a whimsical interest because you don't have to actually approach the installment or read the commemorative plaque, or even give a shit about it. just because you play certain music as background-filler, it doesn't mean that the song-writing, the musical composition and the aesthetic of the piece is relegated into worthlessness.

what a ridiculously egocentric argument.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Agreed, however put 'I listen to stuff on my ipod' on your CV and you'll be viewed as a moron.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
make reductio ad absurdum statements and you'll be viewed as a moron.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whatver, its not viewed as a valid hobby.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If you look carefully you'll see that it was you who derailed, and were first with the personal attack.
You weren't retorting to anything, except maybe your own paranoid imaginings.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
yeah, right... okay dilbert, whatever you say.

im sure nobody else here read your previous worthless and provocative comments as being a 'derailing'.

real, reasoned contributions, there not just a grown man typing absurd shite to illicit a response, im sure
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5749|شمال
I would say it is, if you somehow express your experience with the music you are listening to -write reviews/blog etc.
If not, NO.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
so just going to art-galleries and viewing art, having a knowledge of art-history and being interested in fine-art... is not a valid hobby? or, at least, not 'valid' unless you're an art-critic or 'produce' something as a result of your interest? i find it strange how you view appreciation of the 'arts' in a way that essentially reduces interest down to what you produce from it.

not all hobbies are hobbycrafts. you don't have to 'make' anything of your interests, in my opinion.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-18 11:57:22)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

Why do you have to express your experience of something for it to be valid?

That's the great thing about listening to music, visiting galleries, etc. You can do it on your own, draw your own conclusions, and keep it to yourself. Hobbies don't have to be shared for them to be legitimate.
Beduin
+510|5749|شمال
Both of you have valid points, I have to give you that...but again, we all have this hobby then? Music is everywhere.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
so is visual art... so are sculptures... so is other forms of mainstream media (e.g. television, blockbuster films). we live in a very media saturated world: everything has a soundtrack, advertising and technology puts images, sounds and art-forms in all aspects of mainstream, commercial, public life. that doesn't mean there isn't a level of appreciation and interest that somehow goes 'further' and is 'more involved', though. music is everywhere but what sort of music is everywhere? mainstream pop? ok. visual art and images are everywhere, too. are you saying because images are plastered all over billboards and advertising spaces in cities that one cannot credibly go into an art-gallery and 'appreciate' the same form of artistic expression? there are varying degrees and qualities to this sort of thing.
Beduin
+510|5749|شمال

Uzique wrote:

there are varying degrees and qualities to this sort of thing.
That was my point from the beginning. We all enjoy music, we do appreciate art when we see some, but not all of us uses the same amount of time and effort for that specific pleasure.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

Yes, there are varying degrees. I don't count listening to top 40 radio while driving in the car a hobby. But a lot of people assume that that's all there is to listening to music, and discount it as a hobby entirely.
Beduin
+510|5749|شمال
Agree, I believe that you have to distinguish yourself from the rest who listens to top 40 radio, or just music, while doing stuff.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Agreed, however put 'I listen to stuff on my ipod' on your CV and you'll be viewed as a moron.
Am still laughing
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Whatver, its not viewed as a valid hobby.
The mere fact that people argue about what is and what isn't a valid hobby is unabashedly absurd.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
yeah but if you classify something as a hobby that surely means you're going to put it on your CV in the most moronic, reduced sense as a strong personal asset and valuable skillset!

oh wait that is also "unabashedly absurd". contrarian, provocative a-grade bullshit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard