monkeyboy
+8|6671
Why oh why are they decreasing the grenade launcher's blast radius? Its going to make the assault class totally pointless.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a noob tuber, and the minimum range fix is going to be brilliant, but why do they need to decrease the radius as well?

As far as I see it the launchers have 2 legitimate uses.  Either for taking out vehicles, or using the splash damage to kill someone when he ducks behind cover during a firefight.

So many times i've had a long range fight with someone, and he ducked behind a crate or whatever when i'd shot him down to a few bars of health. He ducks behind cover, and I fire my grenade right next to where he was, getting him with the splash. If anything it needs to have it's non-letal splash increased.

With the g36e the medic already has a better assault rifle. After the patch the L85 will probably be just as good as well. The ability to heal yourself is certainly more useful than body armor and a smoke grenade. I'm not even mentioning the point-paddles the medic gets.

If they ruin the main legitimate use for the launcher (cos its pretty rare to kill a jeep with a launcher) its gonna make the assault class fairly useless.
oberst_enzian
+234|6749|melb.au
agreed
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6839
I believe it said "the EFFECTIVE blast radius has been decreased" meaning it will damage them, but not kill them from a certain distance. So if you damaged somebody down to 4 bars of health, and he ducked behind cover, there's a chance you'll still be able to kill him by hitting a wall/ground behind him.

EDIT: Also, this just means you'll have to be more skilled with it to use it, which can't hurt anyone. And with the arming distance in effect, you'll be able to bounce it off a wall and hit people directly if they're "ducked behind cover"

Last edited by =[4th]=SlayThem (2006-02-13 19:04:23)

.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6815|Marathon, Florida Keys
aww you cant hop around with your gay ass grenade launcher getting 1 hit kils anymore i feel so bad.....not
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
JaM3z
Banned
+311|6716
use the G3 then, then u have no GL and that will solve your problem
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6836|Denver colorado
look. if you have skill its still usefull. yes 1 hit kills are possible.

all the real assult will come out and the noobs will just run around with support.

( real support, i support you. )
oberst_enzian
+234|6749|melb.au

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

aww you cant hop around with your gay ass grenade launcher getting 1 hit kils anymore i feel so bad.....not
did you even read his post? this comment just makes you look stupid.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6815|Marathon, Florida Keys

oberst_enzian wrote:

I dont beleave that hes not a noob tuber, or why would he complain about the GL in the first place, and yes i did read his post.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
pope
+0|6701
ok i want to see what it will be like with the bounceing gl nades like when you are hiding after a firefight and all of the sudden a gl nade lands next to you and you are like " HOLY SHIT" and run. that will be cool
-cowboy-
+0|6654
Totally agree with monkeyboy. Assault is in danger of getting seriously screwed. Come on, Assault is meant to be the best/most versatile killing machine of all infantry.

Minimum arming distance is a good solution to those noobs who use the GL for less then 1meter, probably blowing themself also up. But reduced splash of the grenades is too much nerfing. Splash currently is already *very* small.

btw. comments like the ones from ronin ajd Jam3z should be ignored. You two should do the following:
1) Read post / topic completely
2) think about it
3) think again
4) post reply if its good for the discussion
5) have a good conversation without making you look like a whining idiot.

Last edited by -cowboy- (2006-02-13 19:23:35)

oberst_enzian
+234|6749|melb.au

I dont beleave that hes not a noob tuber, or why would he complain about the GL in the first place, and yes i did read his post.
ok fair enough, you read it - but you don't seriously believe that he's a n00bt00ber because he has a comment about the GL? is everyone that is effective with the GL a n00bt00ber in your opinion? That's ridiculous!

this is the point: he's not saying he wants one shot kills with it, which is the sign of a noobtoober, he wants its radius left as it is, as it's a grenade, and its radius is one of the things that make it a viable tactical option. If he were a noobtoober, he'd be arguing against the arming time, but for the radius change, as this would in fact make it easier to n00bt00b and stay alive (i.e. n00bt00bing as i understand it is using the GL like a shotgun - one shot kill at point blank range - and the only thing preventing more people from doing it is the amount of time you kill yourself if you try it, because of the radius it currently has). So in effect, if he wanted it to be n00bt00b-friendly, he'd be saying the opposite of what he actually said.

Last edited by oberst_enzian (2006-02-13 19:27:24)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6696|Tampa Bay Florida
*edit* It's still a grenade after all, if you have good aim you should be able to get some kills.  Assault won't be ruined more than it already is

Last edited by Spearhead (2006-02-13 19:30:24)

Psychosis
+1|6654|Virginia
I personally agree. I for one HATE the noober nades, but the launchers do add some counter vehicle/group support which medics lack completely. I think the concern here lies more so in the possibility that the combat classes will be unbalanced, and less in personal dependancy on the GL. I have some background in the MMORPG field, (which BF2 mimics to an extent with the different combat classes and each class having strengths and weaknesses), and I find the point to be very valid.

That said however, the patch hasnt been released and no one is certain about what the final results are going to be yet.
monkeyboy
+8|6671

oberst_enzian wrote:

Just look at my stats you cock. Over 24 hours of using the assault class, yet less than 4 hours of grenade launcher use. I think that proves I'm not running around with the launcher selected.

Like cowboy said, the assault class is supposed to be the best anti infantry class. At the moment thats already debatable, but after the patch the medic class is going to rule supreme.

I find myself playing more and more as an "assault-medic". I use the medic class, but choose it for the g36e and don't really do much medic work.  I'll heal someone if they ask or if they're right there, and if a corpse lands right in front of me I might revive him... but I don't go looking for guys to help out. The medic bags are mainly for me, and I get most of my points with the rifle.

Thats not really how it should be. I've got the mentality of an assault guy, yet i'm finding the assault class isn't the best one to do the job with. Much rather be the class with infinite health and a better gun.

Last edited by monkeyboy (2006-02-13 19:57:28)

chitlin
Banned
+36|6769
reasons for assault kit ... g3 f2000 scar-h
Havazn
+39|6700|van.ca
I dont think its going to make the kit entirely useless. Flashbangs, smoke grenades, and powerful assualt rifles will still keep this kit worth playing. Maybe try finishing them off instead of only hitting them enough to bring em down to 4 bars of health? G3, 4 shots to armor to kill...20 bullets in clip. Good chance of killin em straight off.
Ghostin-Dashell
+0|6657
hey, just read the thread and though im a sniper and played only up to basic assault, i believe with other changes i've read about in these forums (i.e the new snipe in EF that is one hit kills to chest on unarmoured - medic and spec ops) that the assault will be an even more viable option. Thats if the sniper rumor is true.

The GL stuff i think would be a cool tweak too, it'll allow nade bouncing and all sorts of trickshot goodness...

guess we'll just have to wait and see... here's hoping
irok100
+114|6656
IM GLAD... that they are lowering the radius of the GL... because it will wise up some of those useless n00bt00bers. it might actually take some skill to get some kills with it now
monkeyboy
+8|6671

Havazn wrote:

Maybe try finishing them off instead of only hitting them enough to bring em down to 4 bars of health?
Of course I always try and finish them off, but a lot of the time people duck behind cover just before they die. So they can either heal themselves, get someone to do it for them, or just hide and hope you move onto a different target.

Theres no evidence the grenades are going to bounce either. Modern real life grenade launchers have a saftey mechanism like this, but it doesn't create bouncing grenades. The grenades have a device inside them that means they need to be in motion for a set amount of time before the impact detonator is activated..... so if they hit something before the detonator is activated, they just bounce off and never detonate. Its to prevent people blowing themselves up if they hit a tree branch, or accidently fire it into the ground or something.
Ghostin-Dashell
+0|6657
Good point monkeyboy, but thrown nades do bounce in BF already though not a great deal.... but i'm guessing?? that the GL will behave in the same way b4 the grenade arms otherwise it just wouldn't really look right in game... and assault classes would be gutted if they're grenades kept putting their pins back in after they fired 'em

but again we'll have to wait and see
shadow18alpha
I attend BF2 Anonymous Meetings
+129|6681|Warlord/Bellevue,WA
Well thats a good thing,death to the assault class. I still will play it when I play SF cos of the flash bangs and grappling hook.
teh adam
+2|6692
If the assualt class dies I will be happy... because when im another class and have 1 bar of health left then someone might actually heal me or if I am out of ammo someone might give me ammo. Too many times in this game I have chased down medics and resupply ppl to have them give me some health or ammo.

There have also been times when ppl call for a medic or ask for ammo and they fucking run away from me.
oberst_enzian
+234|6749|melb.au

teh adam wrote:

Too many times in this game I have chased down medics and resupply ppl to have them give me some health or ammo.
There have also been times when ppl call for a medic or ask for ammo and they fucking run away from me.
this happens to me all the fucking time - what is up with that? if anyone who reads this does this, please explain why, because I can't figure it out. then go and bang your head against a wall as punishment.

Last edited by oberst_enzian (2006-02-13 21:03:14)

dracul
+2|6813
Assault will still have body armor.
They will still have smoke, and flash if they have the f2000.

Assault rifles might not have the range that the carbines do, but they make up for that by doing a lot more damage.

Decent assault players will still be strong after the patch, and even stronger if the g3 buff is as good as I think it will be.

Edit: by decent I mean anyone that normally goes an entire round without blowing their own feet off, or hopping around like some spastic rabbit on methamphetamines.

Last edited by dracul (2006-02-13 21:07:26)

MrPredictable
+14|6692
The gernades will bounce, theres a video of the beta patch around somewhere and it shows how the gernades will bounce, c4 will throw further, stingers will lock on better and choppers will be easyer to take down. Im quite excited aboot all of those.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard