13rin
+977|6471
Meet the new stud for the Washington Nationals, Stephen Strasburg.  14K's on his debut -a new franchise record.  Can pitch 100mph+.  Has a few 101's in there.  Nasty stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhSFq8EOnJs
MLB took down video.

& I f'ed up the part about him being a teen, he's 21.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2010-06-09 11:43:23)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

and, the Nationals just picked up another #1. took a year to bring Strasburg up, looks like it will pay off . . .
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
I don't understand baseball batsmen, they all seem to be awful. Everytime I watch baseball they hardly ever swing at the ball, and when they do they usually miss. I understand they're going up against the best pitchers and shit, but wait a minute, they're supposed to be the best, professional batsmen themselves.

It seems like batsmen are taught at a young age to refrain from hitting the ball in order for the pitch to be given a "ball one/two/three/four" (not a strike)
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

it's the hardest thing to do in sports, Mek - hit a round baseball, traveling one hundred miles an hour, with a round bat. there is some strategy in 'working the count' (getting so many balls that you can fairly guess the pitcher will throw a strike) but a good batter will jump on a pitch regardless of the count. a good pitcher knows that, so his strategy is to disguise what pitch is coming - only the pitcher knows for sure, and only the good pitchers can pull it off consistently . . .
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6514
kid did fuckin work
13rin
+977|6471

burnzz wrote:

it's the hardest thing to do in sports, Mek - hit a round baseball, traveling one hundred miles an hour, with a round bat. there is some strategy in 'working the count' (getting so many balls that you can fairly guess the pitcher will throw a strike) but a good batter will jump on a pitch regardless of the count. a good pitcher knows that, so his strategy is to disguise what pitch is coming - only the pitcher knows for sure, and only the good pitchers can pull it off consistently . . .
It does teach some good life lessons as well.  I mean you take someone with a .300 batting average.  That's not bad at all, but that means he still get's out 70% of the time.  That's 70% fail.  Lesson?  Keep on trying, don't let that last 'fail' get to you.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
Yeah, you watch the game and look at the stats and the batsmen really get their ass handed to them and it's an accepted norm

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-06-09 09:07:41)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6699|67.222.138.85
and it is still a higher scoring game than soccer
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York
it's batter mek you fucking arab

strasburg is the definition of

not to mention the Nats just got Bryce Harper who is an absolute BEAST. just wait, in the next 5 years they'll win the WS.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Woah woah the guy pitches great in one game and he's the next Nolan Ryan or what?  It's definitely an impressive debut, but let's give the guy at least a half a year before we christen him as the next best thing.

And let's be honest...it was against the Pirates
Scratch[USA]
+105|6539

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Woah woah the guy pitches great in one game and he's the next Nolan Ryan or what?  It's definitely an impressive debut, but let's give the guy at least a half a year before we christen him as the next best thing.

QFT agree 100%

Mek less steroids in the game has lead to better pitching.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

Scratch[USA] wrote:

Mek less steroids in the game has lead to better pitching.
no, less steroids has led to worse hitting, relatively. pitchers and hitters were juicing (see Roger Clemens) and now the game is getting back to where it was.

boring. i say pincushion those bastards and give them 100k for every ball hit out of the park . . .
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6587|Toronto-Canada

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

you said it best

plus i dont think good patience hitting teams with strikeout 14 let alone in 94 pitches, i am not saying that stras is not going to be great, the thing is,  we just really know that for sure.
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6587|Toronto-Canada

Mekstizzle wrote:

Yeah, you watch the game and look at the stats and the batsmen really get their ass handed to them and it's an accepted norm
is baseball
good pitching beats good hitting teams, well most of the time
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6646
In 10 years he'll be in pinstripes (or hopefully Cardinal red)...enjoy it while you can D.C.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6611|Medford, WI

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i dont care who it was, did you see the break on some of those curve balls, and to be able to throw 100+ to back it up, that was some nasty stuff and would hold up against any team
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

filthy
Smokey7200
#Bill Cosby Squad
+10|5478

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

thats exactly what i told my brother when i saw the game. its only one game and the announcers were saying many pitchers like stras started their careers like that than went down the drain
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

rookie pitchers tend to do exceptionally well too because no one has seen their stuff.  There's not a whole lot of scouting done on minor league pitchers by major league teams.

For every Greg Maddux or Roger Clemens there are 50 Hideo Nomos.  And Hideo actually had a few good years but where is he now?
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6587|Toronto-Canada
the questions is
will he beat my boy Roy Halladay?
ig
+1,199|6514

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

who in here said anything like that? we're simply admiring how sick of a 1st game as a rookie that was
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

'meet the new stud'

yeah, sick game though.
13rin
+977|6471

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

'meet the new stud'

yeah, sick game though.
Commonly used term in baseball to denote a good player.  I was hardly blowing him like you made it out to be.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

but you have no problem calling him a good player based on one game.
ig
+1,199|6514
sigh

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard