Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6001|Vortex Ring State
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle … 195838.stm

this is a major WTF for both sides

#1: Why did the aid people have guns and use them?
#2: Why did the Israelis even try to board the ship anyways?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS

Spark wrote:

intuition tells me there's more to this then it seems. certainly more than "omg israel!"
srsly... let's wait for details? not even been a full 24 hours yet.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

#1 Because they're going to fucking Gaza
#2 Because Israel has imposed a blockade on travel to Gaza
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
#1 Don't believe everything the Israelis tell you.
#2 Because they are imposing an unlawful collective punishment on the people of Gaza and don't want them getting dangerous stuff like food or cement.

It'll be interesting to see if Obama still meets Netanyahu.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-05-31 06:39:16)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
Israel broke international law by boarding the ship in the first place. Whatever happened afterwards, happened. But they shouldn't have boarded the ship in the first place

I can understand a fight breaking out, fights also break out and people killed when Somalian pirates board ships too. Actually even the Somalians try not to kill the crew of the ships they board

It's hard to believe (or know for sure) whether they had weapons on board or not. Certainly though, the Israeli's shouldn't have boarded with commandos in the first place.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-05-31 06:42:42)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

Why do I get the feeling that some of the crew might've opened fire just to incite this kind of reaction?
Mekstizzle
WALKER

M.O.A.B wrote:

Why do I get the feeling that some of the crew might've opened fire just to incite this kind of reaction?
The Israeli's shouldn't have been there in the first place. It's like saying if a ship travelling near Somalia decided to fight off the pirates and then criticising them for doing so when the pirates go and kill a load of the crew. Yes, it's an idiotic move on behalf of the crew and they've got themselves killed. But to turn around and say that the crew are simply provoking the pirates and trying to make them look bad, sounds rather ludicrous.

I wouldn't be surprised if the crew fought the Israeli's and even had guns on board and provoked a massacre on themselves, but I think the more urgent fact is that the Israeli's illegally boarded the ship in the first place. They can only do that if the ship entered Israeli territorial waters.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-05-31 06:55:41)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ

M.O.A.B wrote:

Just to get shot at and maybe killed you mean? I'd love to see how you would explain that.
ƒ³
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

oug wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Just to get shot at and maybe killed you mean? I'd love to see how you would explain that.
Think about it. If Israel kills people, what happens on the international stage? Particularly in Arabic countries.

A professional photographer for the AP once doctored photographs to make it look like Israeli jets and bombings were far worse than they were, in order to stir up comdemnation.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
The one thing that needs to be drilled into the heads of people who don't understand the situation.

It happened about 40 miles (64 km) out to sea, in international waters.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle … 195838.stm

We can completely ignore the fact that they have killed anyone, if you want because it doesn't actually change things, it just changes the magnitude.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

They should have waited until they were inside Israeli waters. Although technically by law you can intercept any ship that's within your EEZ, which extends 200NM offshore. Obviously in waters as small as the Mediterranean that's limited to where it meets other countries, but given the route they took they'd still be within Israel's EEZ when they were boarded.

Not to defend Israel on this, but the whole thing sounds fucked.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

ghettoperson wrote:

They should have waited until they were inside Israeli waters. Although technically by law you can intercept any ship that's within your EEZ, which extends 200NM offshore. Obviously in waters as small as the Mediterranean that's limited to where it meets other countries, but given the route they took they'd still be within Israel's EEZ when they were boarded.

Not to defend Israel on this, but the whole thing sounds fucked.
And what about Gaza's EEZ?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Well I'm just guessing here, but given that Palestine isn't even an internationally recognised country, it probably doesn't have one.

EDIT: I'm the last person to defend Israel, but you also need to at least try to be somewhat impartial when looking at these things. I'm not justifying the shooting, I'm saying Israel from a legal perspective are probably within their rights to board the boat.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2010-05-31 07:12:37)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Palestine was recognised by the UN at the same time as Israel.
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land
Seems to me

1) It was an aid convoy

2) It was in international waters

3) Israel has previously destroyed aid vessels heading to gaza

4) Israel's blockade is illegal

5) People didn't have guns on the boat, the only people who brought guns there were the Israelis (at least that's what the consensus is now)

6) in the thread title why is 'aid' in speech marks?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Dilbert_X wrote:

Palestine was recognised by the UN at the same time as Israel.
I was under the impression that it was a little more complex than that. I know, for instance that they can't vote in the UN, so they're not exactly equal to everyone else.

In any case, that's probably a separate debate - although knowing this forum we'll get dragged down on it. Assuming you're correct though, then it would depend entirely on where the boat was located. Unless they took a very deliberate route - which I wouldn't imagine they did - they'd be forced to cross through Israel's EEZ.
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land
There's now plenty of vids on youtube, some showing the IDF rappelling down and getting stuck into the passengers, one at least from IDF an infrared camera showing some soldiers being attacked. personally I don't think the second vid means fuck all but I guess I'm a biased jew hating anti-american liberal bleh blah
Mekstizzle
WALKER
I haven't found anything which says that you can board any ship within the EEZ, It only seems to be there for natural resources and such. Otherwise EEZ would be synonymous with territorial waters which it isn't.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

You can do, I wrote a paper about it for my International Law class last semester.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ

M.O.A.B wrote:

oug wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Think about it. If Israel kills people, what happens on the international stage? Particularly in Arabic countries.

A professional photographer for the AP once doctored photographs to make it look like Israeli jets and bombings were far worse than they were, in order to stir up comdemnation.
What exactly does happen? Correct me if I'm wrong but in all these years I don't think Israel's plans for the region and the conflict have ever been compromised in any way. Israel always did what it wanted despite what might be voiced by other nations. In fact, lol, forget its enemies! Not even the US - it's closest ally - has ever been able to impose its will in the rare occasions when the two disagreed on anything.
And as for the AP guy, please. Don't even get me started on how the israeli side controls practically the entire flow of information from the western media.
ƒ³
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
Did the American Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein survive the IDF attack?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6224|Escea

oug wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

oug wrote:

What exactly does happen? Correct me if I'm wrong but in all these years I don't think Israel's plans for the region and the conflict have ever been compromised in any way. Israel always did what it wanted despite what might be voiced by other nations. In fact, lol, forget its enemies! Not even the US - it's closest ally - has ever been able to impose its will in the rare occasions when the two disagreed on anything.
And as for the AP guy, please. Don't even get me started on how the israeli side controls practically the entire flow of information from the western media.
Anything and everything linked with Israel is always termed as them being the aggressor, even in the instances when they are attacked first, and rightfully utilise self-defence. Then these events are used to incite violence by the usual Jews r evil crowd. It may have shit on its sheets, but its not the only party doing bad things out there - something you might not know from a lot of media reports.

By the way, got any evidence of Israel manipulating all of western media? Considering some of their own news outlets voice condemnation at times without issue.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
One of the Irishmen on the lead ship was reportedly injured - I wonder which of these obvious Al Qaeda tyrants it was: Dr Fintan Lane, Fiachra Ó Luain or Shane Dillon.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Mekstizzle wrote:

Israel broke international law by boarding the ship in the first place. Whatever happened afterwards, happened. But they shouldn't have boarded the ship in the first place

I can understand a fight breaking out, fights also break out and people killed when Somalian pirates board ships too. Actually even the Somalians try not to kill the crew of the ships they board

It's hard to believe (or know for sure) whether they had weapons on board or not. Certainly though, the Israeli's shouldn't have boarded with commandos in the first place.
Depends on what they suspected was on board those ships. They interdict shipping all the time that has stuff other than "food and cement" that's bound for Gaza. That kind of stuff just doesn't get reported because it's not nearly as incendiary.

Bottomline: Wait for the investigation.

Last edited by FEOS (2010-05-31 07:55:52)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land

FEOS wrote:

Bottomline: Wait for the investigation.
the idf one?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard