Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5994|Truthistan

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Is that opium haze in the background?

Harmor wrote:

I'm not concerned about North Korea military, what I am concerned at is what China will do.  I don't think they want a Unified Korea on their border and will aid the North Koreans.  Whether they actually join the attack, well that'll be the start of WWIII.
Doubt it. The Chinese don't want WW3 any more than we do.
I think the opposite. If the Koreas start shooting, China is just as likely to move in and take out the regime in N. Korea to stabilize the region and to remove the nukes there. IMO N.Korea makes everyone nervious including China.

And a unified Korea works in the China's favor, especially if China helps get rid of N.Korea because then China has an open neighbor that needs to be developed up and that's a whole new market for China. And if China helps then its not a threat and so that argues against a continuing US presence in the area. Plus like I waid N.Korea is an unstable neighbor with nukes... getting rid of the regime there is in everyones interest.
BVC
+325|6695
China is seen as one of the few countries which can exert influence over NK, this is an asset to China both in it's dealings with the US/allies, and with NK.  The fact that it can deal with both gives it leverage over both.

1) If Korea is unified with rainbows, flowers, peace, love, unicorns and all that shit - and becomes a prosperous nation in much the same fashion as SK has - then China's influence over both Korea and the US/allies will diminish, and the influence of the US/allies will increase.

2) If Korea is unified by a SK/US/allies victory over NK, then Korea will eventually become a prosperous nation like SK.  It might take a bit longer than the first option, but they'll come around, even if Seoul was nuked - Japan has survived and prospered, despite a double-nuking during WW2.  Same as before, if Korea is unified this way then China's influence will diminish and the influence of the US/allies will increase.

3) If Korea is unified by a NK conquest of SK (unlikely, but you have to cover all bases) then China's influence over NK grows, but her influence over the US/allies will diminish.  Further, because of the increased presence of states hostile to Japan/Taiwan, the influence of the US over Japan/Taiwan will increase as those countries look for increased security/backing in the face of what will - lets face it - become a larger version of NK.  This is a little less black and white, but ultimately this possible course of action will lead to China's overall influence diminish.  (Unless of course they take on Japan/Taiwan, or forge ties with them, but thats another discussion entirely)

4) Korea unifies - somehow - and becomes an isolationist state.  China's influence decreases.

5) Korea unifies and becomes a state somewhat neutral between China and the US/allies.  China's influence decreases.

Some options are more severe for China, and more likely than others, but regardless - a unified Korea is not in China's interests.  And you can bet China knows that.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS
Also consider... if NK falls in a heap, then you will see a deluge of refugees flooding the China-NK border. Not a situation China particularly wants to occur.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Diesel_dyk wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

I'm not concerned about North Korea military, what I am concerned at is what China will do.  I don't think they want a Unified Korea on their border and will aid the North Koreans.  Whether they actually join the attack, well that'll be the start of WWIII.
I think the opposite. If the Koreas start shooting, China is just as likely to move in and take out the regime in N. Korea to stabilize the region and to remove the nukes there. IMO N.Korea makes everyone nervious including China.

And a unified Korea works in the China's favor, especially if China helps get rid of N.Korea because then China has an open neighbor that needs to be developed up and that's a whole new market for China. And if China helps then its not a threat and so that argues against a continuing US presence in the area. Plus like I waid N.Korea is an unstable neighbor with nukes... getting rid of the regime there is in everyones interest.
I doubt China would attack NK... They would have to adhear to UN security council decisions... Since they're a fucking P5 and agreed to everything. They'd just let the US do it. Not very good to be known backstabbing an ally tbh...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

Nothing will happen. They have border skirmishes all the time.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

ghettoperson wrote:

Nothing will happen. They have border skirmishes all the time.
Shit's gotta be bad inside NK right now if they need this for PR amongst their populace...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Imagine if North and South Korea play each other in the World Cup.
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
I thought that yesterday moab. The fans riot will be sick, throw in some polish hooligans and you got a cocktail worth hours of entertainment.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Barbed wire and pillboxes on the halfway line with the North Koreans trying to tunnel under the pitch.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
imagine if they do play each other in the WC, if they both qualify from their group, which they won't

have you seen the group that NK are in? no wonder why they're so angry all the time
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6489|Gogledd Cymru

I thought it was coz they had dicks the same size as yours mek.

Kez
+778|5703|London, UK

Mekstizzle wrote:

imagine if they do play each other in the WC, if they both qualify from their group, which they won't

have you seen the group that NK are in? no wonder why they're so angry all the time
both are going through mek
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5474|Ventura, California

mtb0minime wrote:

If you're gonna make an official topic in D&ST, at least make sure the title is grammatically correct.
Aw crap I didn't see that. Thanks !
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Kez
+778|5703|London, UK

-Sh1fty- wrote:

This is DS&T
debate serious and talk
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I think North Korea isn't stupid enough to attack. If they wanted to then they could inflict massive casualties but it would still mean the end for them in the long run.

Oh and Seoul, WTF - it's like how many dozen miles from the boarder?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

North Korea operates on the pretense of starting a war if anything is ever done against them. Ever since the Korean War 'ended' they've attacked border positions, kidnapped people, exchanged fire with the ROKN and even blown up a civilian airliner over the ME, and every time they've threatened to initiate all-out war if a retaliation occurs. By and large its just posturing and false threats with a bit of muscle on show. Imo Kim doesn't have the balls to follow through with anything major, because if it kicked off, he'll go the way of Saddam.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5999|Vortex Ring State

jord wrote:

I thought that yesterday moab. The fans riot will be sick, throw in some polish hooligans and you got a cocktail worth hours of entertainment.
tbh lol

Imagine a DMZ between the 2 crowds, lol

As for a war between NK and SK, it all depends on who starts it.

If Kim pulls the trigger, China's gonna back out and start prepping for refugees and SK and the US will kick NK's ass all the way to the Chinese Border. Seoul will probably be shelled off the map though.

If Seoul pulls the trigger, then the US will either not go in or go in with little involvement, China might get involved on the side of NK. Most likely we can't get Germany/NATO involved.

But chances are, Seoul is not going to pull the trigger, but Kim is trying to get them to so he can get more support from the Chinese and make it look like SK's the aggressor.
Kez
+778|5703|London, UK
anyone played the original mercenaries?

its all becoming true
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Mercenaries was
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Trotskygrad wrote:

Seoul will probably be shelled off the map though.
Yeah either way Seoul is so fucking fucked.
Kez
+778|5703|London, UK
do be silly nk are just attention whoring again
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6548|San Diego, CA, USA
CHINA MAY SHIELD NKOREA

via http://www.drudgereport.com/

Looks like they may be more involved than we thought...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Diesel_dyk wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

I'm not sure what you're thinking the opposite of, there. China doesn't want a Korean peninsula conflict, nor do they want World War 3, so that would preclude ignoring it if it escalates or supporting the North against not just the South, but Japan and western nations. So if anything, you and I are in agreement about a quick toppling of the North.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-05-26 23:57:19)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Harmor wrote:

CHINA MAY SHIELD NKOREA

via http://www.drudgereport.com/

Looks like they may be more involved than we thought...
I doubt China will. Just because they aren't accusing NK doesn't mean they don't think NK did it. It's not exactly nice to stab your ally in the back like this... China will tell NK to back off as it sends the largest military and humanitarian aid to NK.

Nothing will happen except for political BS.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6706

NAthANSmitt wrote:

South Korea should move their goddamn capital. There is half their problem gone right there. I do realize this is easier said than done though.
Why the hell should they do that?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard