HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois
Dreaming is one of the most mysterious and interesting experiences in our lives.

During the Roman Era some dreams were even submitted to the Roman Senate for analysis and dream interpretation. They were thought to be messages from the gods. Dream interpreters even accompanied military leaders into battles and campaigns!

In addition to this, it is also known that many artists have received their creative ideas from their dreams.

But what do we actually know about dreams?

Here are 15 interesting facts about dreams – enjoy and what’s most important, don’t forget to share your dream stories in the comment section!

1. You Forget 90% of Your Dreams

Within 5 minutes of waking half of your dream is forgotten. Within 10, 90% is gone.

https://lh6.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7GnBzTGJI/AAAAAAAAB7E/J2gPyBF-Ulg/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-cornfields.jpg

2. Blind People also Dream

People who became blind after birth can see images in their dreams. People who are born blind do not see any images, but have dreams equally vivid involving their other senses of sound, smell, touch and emotion.

https://lh5.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7I_80fEuI/AAAAAAAAB7U/P6VqNCLL-A0/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-horses.jpg

3. Everybody Dreams

Every human being dreams (except in cases of extreme psychological disorder). If you think you are not dreaming – you just forget your dreams.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7EaC-k9uI/AAAAAAAAB6k/QAuEj_5qsrg/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-piano.jpg

4. In Our Dreams We Only See Faces That We already Know

Our mind is not inventing faces – in our dreams we see real faces of real people that we have seen during our life but may not know or remember. We have all seen hundreds of thousands of faces throughout our lives, so we have an endless supply of characters for our brain to utilize during our dreams.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7E5Qtj50I/AAAAAAAAB6s/a04SsURqp4A/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-fairies.jpg

5. Not Everybody Dreams in Color

A full 12% of sighted people dream exclusively in black and white. The remaining number dream in full color. Studies from 1915 through to the 1950s maintained that the majority of dreams were in black and white, but these results began to change in the 1960s. Today only 4.4% of the dreams of under-25 year-olds are in black and white. Recent research has suggested that those changing results may be linked to the switch from black-and-white film and TV to color media.

https://lh6.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7FIr91IJI/AAAAAAAAB6w/DhVu5-qFXCA/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-aladin.jpg

6. Dreams are Symbolic

If you dream about some particular subject it is not often that the dream is about that. Dreams speak in a deeply symbolic language.  Whatever symbol your dream picks on it is most unlikely to be a symbol for itself.

https://lh5.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7LWW_JXUI/AAAAAAAAB7c/CZItgBF7-5Q/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-bubbles.jpg

7. Emotions

The most common emotion experienced in dreams is anxiety. Negative emotions are more common than positive ones.

https://lh5.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7GLH7qW6I/AAAAAAAAB7A/C4VhKggQmxk/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-cage.jpg

8. You can have four to seven dreams in one night.

On average you can dream anywhere from one or two hours every night.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7Era8LUhI/AAAAAAAAB6o/BpE_ed76zU8/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-elephant.jpg

9. Animals Dream Too

Studies have been done on many different animals, and they all show the same brain waves during dreaming sleep as humans. Watch a dog sleeping sometime. The paws move like they are running and they make yipping sounds as if they are chasing something in a dream.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7Bzx0FTrI/AAAAAAAAB6U/qI5VW-B9OFk/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-cat.jpg

10. Body Paralysis

Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep is a normal stage of sleep characterized by rapid movements of the eyes. REM sleep in adult humans typically occupies 20-25% of total sleep, about 90-120 minutes of a night’s sleep.

During REM sleep the body is paralyzed by a mechanism in the brain in order to prevent the movements which occur in the dream from causing the physical body to move. However, it is possible for this mechanism to be triggered before, during, or after normal sleep while the brain awakens.

https://lh4.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7D2LNpfaI/AAAAAAAAB6c/SPNGyHcem1M/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-flying.jpg

11. Dream Incorporation

Our mind interprets the external stimuli that our senses are bombarded with when we are asleep and make them a part of our dreams. This means that sometimes in our dreams we hear a sound from reality and incorporate it in a way. For example you may be dreaming that you are in a concert while your brother is playing a guitar during your sleep.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7Oy4O9AjI/AAAAAAAAB7k/MiF_Qq2IkmU/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-rome.jpg

12. Men and Women Dream Differently

Men tend to dream more about other men. Around 70% of the characters in a man’s dream are other men. On the other hand, a woman’s dream contains almost an equal number of men and women. Aside from that, men generally have more aggressive emotions in their dreams than the female lot.

https://lh4.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7ELeDoMOI/AAAAAAAAB6g/zFYMVCQuK38/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-flowers.jpg

13. Precognitive Dreams

Results of several surveys across large population sets indicate that between 18% and 38% of people have experienced at least one precognitive dream and 70% have experienced déjà vu. The percentage of persons that believe precognitive dreaming is possible is even higher – ranging from 63% to 98%.

https://lh6.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7FrxhcuxI/AAAAAAAAB68/bquNhw15yrc/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-spaceship.jpg

*Precognition, also called future sight, refers to perception that involves the acquisition of future information that cannot be deduced from presently available and normally acquired sense-based information.

14. If you are snoring, then you cannot be dreaming.

This fact is repeated all over the Internet, but I’m a bit suspicious whether it’s really true as I haven’t found any scientific evidence to support it.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7T3kLy42I/AAAAAAAAB7s/K39VpIkgjIA/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-void.jpg

15.You can experience an o r g asm in your dream

You can not only have s e x as pleasurable as in your real life while dreaming, but also experience an  o r g a s m  as strong as a real one without any wet results. The sensations felt while lucid dreaming (touch, pleasure and etc..) can be as pleasurable and strong (or I believe even stronger) as the sensations experienced in the real world.

https://lh3.ggpht.com/_9F9_RUESS2E/Sy7UaYAr4GI/AAAAAAAAB7w/icUk9THwow8/s800/13-Interesting-Facts-about-Dreams-aphrodite.jpg

Well, I hope you had a great time reading these strange facts about our dreams. Now I’m going to my bed to check those facts once again. Good night and sweet dreams!

P.S.: don’t forget to share your weirdest dream experiences below!

Source
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6630|The darkside of Denver
10/10 would read again.
Kez
+778|5673|London, UK
i dont remember most of my dreams but last thursday/friday i dreamt i was about to drive at the monaco grand prix and i felt the adrenaline and fear of crashing even though i dont actually drive f1 cars lol
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6078|Birmingham, UK
in english we learned dreaming about flying is actually dreaming about sex or something
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6630|The darkside of Denver
I had a dream on time that I was inside a tank.  An enemy shell ripped through the armor and tore the lining of my stomach and my entrails began to extrude out of the hole.  It was the most vivid dream ever, i was literally feeling the pain.  I'll never forget that dream..
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6539|Mountains of NC

I don't dream about other men

thinking about .......... is a different story
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

I always think wet dreams are such a crazy concept. I only ever had one once, when I was like 14 or something, but the idea that your mind can make you come without needing to do anything is insane.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

I lucid dream. It's awesome.
bennisboy
+829|6617|Poundland
I have some completely fucked up dreams. Top 3 worst dreams I've had.

3. Dreamed I was on a ferris wheel with some randomer, and when I got to the top, they stabbed me, and then I fell off and hit the ground. Weirdest bit was I actually felt like I could feel the knife and the thud as I hit the floor.

2. Dream started with me waking up on some operating table in some skanky dungeon. Then I started getting cut in half by a giant pizza cutter and my pelvis snapped in half, was properly disturbing cos again I felt like I was in pain.

1. Dreamed I was at a train station, and just as the train was coming through, someone smacked me round the head with a iron bar and I fell right infront of the train. I felt the train hit me, and there was a flash of insane pain, and it was the first time I'd ever died in a dream, usually I wake up before, but everything went completely white, there was no sound and my mind was just blank for ages. Slowly I started thinking "am I dead" then after a while realised it must be a dream cos i was still thinking, but I could feel my heart and lungs screaming at me. I was trying to wake up but couldn't. Eventually when I forced myself to wake up and the white faded my heart was pounding so hard that my chest was visibly shaking, and I was out of breath.

That dream really made me wonder what happens when people die of natural causes in their sleep. Couldnt sleep for the rest of the night.

Last edited by bennisboy (2010-05-19 14:55:07)

Kez
+778|5673|London, UK
when i was learning about the cold war in history and stuff i had dreams about nukes and shit like that
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

Zimmer wrote:

I lucid dream. It's awesome.
hey, me too...

I used to suffer from sleep paralysis but once I read up on it, I was able to have more control over my dreaming experience.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

bennisboy wrote:

3. Dreamed I was on a ferris wheel with some randomer, and when I got to the top, they stabbed me, and then I fell off and hit the ground. Weirdest bit was I actually felt like I could feel the knife and the thud as I hit the floor.

2. Dream started with me waking up on some operating table in some skanky dungeon. Then I started getting cut in half by a giant pizza cutter and my pelvis snapped in half, was properly disturbing cos again I felt like I was in pain.

1. Dreamed I was at a train station, and just as the train was coming through, someone smacked me round the head with a iron bar and I fell right infront of the train. I felt the train hit me, and there was a flash of insane pain, and it was the first time I'd ever died in a dream, usually I wake up before, but everything went completely white, there was no sound and my mind was just blank for ages. Slowly I started thinking "am I dead" then after a while realised it must be a dream cos i was still thinking, but I could feel my heart and lungs screaming at me. I was trying to wake up but couldn't. Eventually when I forced myself to wake up and the white faded my heart was pounding so hard that my chest was visibly shaking, and I was out of breath.

That dream really made me wonder what happens when people die of natural causes in their sleep. Couldnt sleep for the rest of the night.
Dude, I dreamt I was sniped in the head. I actually felt the bullet go through my skull and in real life my head cracked backwards with enormous force that I dented the metal bars of the bed. I ended up nearly fainting and having to wear a neck band due to the force I exerted on it. It was crazy.
SamTheMan
­
+341|5112|Stoke, England
i had a dream where i got off with my sister, weird as fuck
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Once had a dream that I was being strangled...by a chimpanzee
bennisboy
+829|6617|Poundland

SamTheMan wrote:

no dream...
phishsux
­
+131|5102

pretty shit

Last edited by phishsux (2010-05-19 15:37:11)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

bennisboy wrote:

That's crazy shit man. Especially the train one.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

SamTheMan wrote:

good memories m8
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Interesting that I had this crazy dream last night. I was on board some sort of submarine/cruise ship hybrid with Eddie Griffin, Dave Chapelle, Jubilee from X-Men, and some girl who I believe was Miley Cyrus. Anyway, terrorists stormed the ship and we started to just fight them off before it ended. I had some sort of Galil-looking weapon and it was strange because my dream had the same sort of weapon interface as in Splinter Cell: Conviction or RS: Vegas 2.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand
Don't you hate that feeling when you wake up from an epic dream?

Or when you wake up, you're trying to sort your head out, differentiating between your dream and reality.

Then a few seconds later it's like....."ahhh shit"

I know fucking karate
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6603

yeah then you try to finish that dream while you're awake, but it doesn't happen no matter how hard you concentrate!
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand

Gooners wrote:

yeah then you try to finish that dream while you're awake, but it doesn't happen no matter how hard you concentrate!
Exactly!
I know fucking karate
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I forget a great deal of my dreams, but I remember what I estimate to be 80% of their main themes and about 60% detail in entirety if I think hard enough.

I can also resume interrupted dreams by thinking about it before I go back to sleep. More effective if I'm sleeping in, though.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

dream about fucking the hottest girl in school = win

oh how i'd love to relive that dream again
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard