Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England
So I was at the commencement for Providence College this afternoon (gf's brother graduated) and Ann Curry, an anchor for NBC was the keynote speaker. She gave a nice speech about being a late bloomer and how she was pushed by her mother etc. One part of it stuck out to me and made me think.

She was telling a story about a time she was in the eastern area of the Congo that has been torn apart for decades now. Civil war, massive looting, pillaging and raping. She visited a hospital where an 18 year old girl had been tied to a tree for months, raped until her legs gave out on her and then left for dead. Ann told a touching story about how she held the girls hand and tried to give her hope in this way. Long story short, girl survived and it was Ann's way of segueing into what she really wanted to talk about, empathy.

She said it was our greatest trait as human beings to show empathy and a willingness to help others. She said that those sitting before her in cap and gown should make it a point to try to help others as much as possible in their lifetime because it would make them happy people.

Altruistic bullshit aside, what really got to me was her brazen exploitation of this girl. How could Ann possibly feel empathy for the girls plight? She could have absolutely no way of knowing what it's like to be chained to a tree and raped by dozens of men. How could she possibly even begin to understand what the girl went through. She had no way of sharing the emotional trauma the girl went through because she had no way of relating. Sympathy yes, empathy no.

Oh, and she didn't forget to mention how the election of Obama makes our country less racist
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina
As far as I can tell, a secondary goal of capitalism is to condition empathy and sympathy out of people in general.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

As far as I can tell, a secondary goal of capitalism is to condition empathy and sympathy out of people in general.
It's got nothing to do with capitalism and everything to do with seeking logic in life. I don't let emotional grabs work on me because 99% of the time it's just being used as a mask to further a different goal. I seek reason and truth, not emotion and that has fuck all to do with my economic beliefs.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6708|67.222.138.85
She probably lied about the girl. I wouldn't worry too much about the particular anecdote.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

She probably lied about the girl. I wouldn't worry too much about the particular anecdote.
The anecdote didn't really matter, it was the fact that she was trying to sell an emotion that she couldn't possibly possess in order to push her agenda of altruism. Never mind that the bitch makes seven figures a year, we should all sacrifice for the common good.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

It's got nothing to do with capitalism and everything to do with seeking logic in life. I don't let emotional grabs work on me because 99% of the time it's just being used as a mask to further a different goal. I seek reason and truth, not emotion and that has fuck all to do with my economic beliefs.
I disagree entirely.  There are many telling things about capitalism in general that reflect on the need for people to distance themselves from any sort of compassion in order to excel at business.  A lot of what defines success is getting as much as you can from people while still making them feel like they got a good deal.

In short, emotions are part and parcel of capitalism -- because playing on them is a huge part of sales.

Last edited by Turquoise (2010-05-16 20:44:50)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Altruistic bullshit aside, what really got to me was her brazen exploitation of this girl.
How did she exploit this girl exactly?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Altruistic bullshit aside, what really got to me was her brazen exploitation of this girl.
How did she exploit this girl exactly?
She used the girls story and the emotion attached to it to push her agenda (altruism). Politicians over here do it all the time. When the Democrats were pushing their health care platform, they were wheeling out hard luck stories left and right in order to use peoples emotions against them when logic failed.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-05-16 20:53:18)

-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So she didn't exploit the girl, she made use of the story.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well, she got a doctorate degree for telling the story at the commencement, so she did gain from the girls use.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But the girl did not suffer as a result so wasn't really exploited.
Wreckognize
+294|6486
I read an article somewhere talking about how politicians have been using the emotional hook to great effect ever since women got the right to vote.  Mighta been here but I dunno.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5179|Sydney
Troll thread.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

She just ripped off key points from Professor X is all.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6549|San Diego, CA, USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well a Capitalist, if they amass alot of wealth, can do whatever they want with the money.  Like Bill Gates and his wife...they are spending their BILLIONS on charities and causes that THEY want to be empathic to.

If you have disposable income you can give to whom you wish.  Whereas Liberals want the government to decide (they are generous only with other peoples' money).
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If you have disposable income you can give to whom you wish.  Whereas Liberals want the government to decide (they are generous only with other peoples' money).
So 'liberals' never donate to charity?
Benzin
+576|6000

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Wreckognize wrote:

I read an article somewhere talking about how politicians have been using the emotional hook to great effect ever since women got the right to vote.  Mighta been here but I dunno.
Politicians have always (ab)used human emotion. Gore is the best example. Always selling out the story about his son from his presidency seat to global warming.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land
I started reading this thread, thinking how intersting that galt had actually started a thread I might sympathise with, and then at the last paragraph I was amazed by how he'd turned it around and basically said fuck you to the whole idea of empathy. So well done john, that was a really uplifting thread you started. Fucks sake. I'm surprised our great empathic lowing hasn't chimed in yet.

Why the hell do you think you need to have EXACTLY the same expereicnce as another in order to empathise with them? So you're saying it's basically impossible to be empathic yeah? Horse crap.

Incidentally I doubt the speaker got her degree ONLY for the speech, so she wasn't exploiting fuck all. I note you're not in the slightest concerned about the girl who'd been raped for months while tied to a tree, beyond the fact that she was 'explolited' (errr...not) by Ann Curry.

Shit thread.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6543|Texas - Bigger than France
Protip: don't pay attention to a graduation speech.

I'll do one:
1) You are lucky
2) You have made a great decision
3) The future is awesome
4) Now, go get drunk and lucky
jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
I prefer Apathy myself.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dude, have you still not got Harmor yet? He'll make one post, attacking liberals and usually saying something utterly ridiculous, and then stop posting. He's essentially Lowing, except with a sub 80 IQ and the lack of balls to try to stand up for his beliefs.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England

JohnG@lt wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The anecdote didn't really matter, it was the fact that she was trying to sell an emotion that she couldn't possibly possess in order to push her agenda of altruism. Never mind that the bitch makes seven figures a year, we should all sacrifice for the common good.
You're doing the same thing by calling out on it so much... talking about how she could have never possibly empathised (which I agree) but then using that thought to push your own agenda through about how politicians always do this, liberals/democrats and healthcare and all that. So yeah, in essence, you're using/exploiting that girl too. You just don't realise it.

Basically, another liberal rage thread.
13rin
+977|6480

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Well, she got a doctorate degree for telling the story at the commencement, so she did gain from the girls use.
son-of-a-bitch.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
13rin
+977|6480

CapnNismo wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not nearly as much as conservatives (fact).  I'd guess it is because it is hard to donate money when you're tied up to a tree, or out throwing red paint on people wearing fur, maybe trying to arrest Karl Rove or perhaps they are asea on the 'steve irwin' saving whales.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard