Benzin
+576|6000
This a question pretty much for everyone, especially those that have experience with marijuana.

I've just finished watching CNBC's documentary "Marijuana, Inc." and some ideas/thoughts I've had for some time kinda resurfaced. As a consumer of any commercial product, we're always taught that our money can support or destroy communities around the world. For instance, when you buy clothes, your t-shirt that costs $30 might actually have a production cost of $3 and was made by a 10 year old girl in Bangladesh. Your $30 just went to support child labor.

Take the same question in regards to buying marijuana: Do you know where your weed comes from? Is it coming from a garden run by a Mexican cartel gang that is responsible for the deaths and mayhem along the US-Mexican border or is it coming from someone who has a low-key grow operation and isn't involved in any violent activities of any kind?

Serious discussion, folks.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
Like all well-bred capitalists, I don't care where it comes from until it directly affects me. I just want the lowest dollar price, until the lowest price costs me my safety or health.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Pochsy wrote:

Like all well-bred capitalists, I don't care where it comes from until it directly affects me. I just want the lowest dollar price, until the lowest price costs me my safety or health.
This. Fuck moral purchases.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470
The thing with those exploitative sweat shops is that if they weren't there, then the people working in them would have no work and would be forced to starve or join some extremist group or some shit.

Those factories might not be pretty, but they are better than most alternatives.
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Those factories might not be pretty, but they are better than most alternatives.
easy to say for someone who has no chance of ever setting foot in a sweatshop never mind working in one...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

ruisleipa wrote:

easy to say for someone who has no chance of ever setting foot in a sweatshop never mind working in one...
They chose to work in sweatshops instead of fields filled with landmines under the hot sun. Shit sucks, its still millions of times better than the alternative.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land

Cybargs wrote:

They chose to work in sweatshops instead of fields filled with landmines under the hot sun. Shit sucks, its still millions of times better than the alternative.
wtf are you talking about? Exactly where are you supposing all these landmines are? There's a lot in Thailand, India, China etc etc are there? Riiiiight. Come on man seriously.

The alternative would be for us to pay fair wages to them, but we want our cheap ass t-shirts too much.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6470

ruisleipa wrote:

If they were paid the same wages as western workers then the companies would have no reason to outsource to those countries and those people would be out of jobs, and forced back into the shit.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

ruisleipa wrote:

If they were paid the same wages as western workers then the companies would have no reason to outsource to those countries and those people would be out of jobs, and forced back into the shit.
fact is the standard of living for all western nations is built up exploit of non-whites, simple and plain.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
I think most factory countries need to just rebuild from scratch. If you're always relying on some douchebag Western companies to create jobs and employ your people to make t-shirts for some douchebags in another country then you know you've already gone massively wrong somewhere. I think it's mainly about how people care about others though. You have well enforced minimum wage and child labour laws in countries like the US/UK so it never happens, because they actually give a shit about stuff like that, but they also know it won't hurt them much either. It's not the case in other countries, mainly because they know the corporations will stop coming if they start introducing minimum wage/child laws. They have no other means of providing employment or wealth to their people so they must rely on having lax wage and labour laws, which is their fault in the first place.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

ruisleipa wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

wtf are you talking about? Exactly where are you supposing all these landmines are? There's a lot in Thailand, India, China etc etc are there? Riiiiight. Come on man seriously.

The alternative would be for us to pay fair wages to them, but we want our cheap ass t-shirts too much.
Actually there are a lot of active landmines near the thai-cambodia borders.

Shit nobody is forcing those people to work in those sweatshops, it's their fucking choice in life. Good luck enforcing child labour laws, helllllllllooooooooo underage prostitution.

Hell, at least sweatshops bring fucking development in Asia, that's why the entire continent is an economic powerhouse in the modern age. Later Asia will uplift their standards to that of the West. You gotta start development somewhere and it sure as hell isn't going to be from the government.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
there are places in asia where the sweatshop worker actually makes more money than the average doctor over there.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
P.S. the shit weed comes from mexico.  high quality herb is made in the USA.  mexican weed is also known as schwag, stress, cess, dirt, brick, etc.
Tu Stultus Es
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

eleven bravo wrote:

P.S. the shit weed comes from mexico.  high quality herb is made in the USA.  mexican weed is also known as schwag, stress, cess, dirt, brick, etc.
BC bud m8.

at GS: I'd rather work in an evil corporate sweatshop than a fucking farm in China. Anything government operated in China is fucking fucked.
ruisleipa
+149|6224|teh FIN-land

Cybargs wrote:

Shit nobody is forcing those people to work in those sweatshops, it's their fucking choice in life.
this statement shows how little you know about the subject.

In any case regarding the OP luckily the erb round here is basically all homegrown so the only people being exploited are the mugs who pay over the odds for sometimes shite weed.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5239|Cleveland, Ohio
i just cannot wait till weed is no longer "zomg so cool dude 420 fucking hydro" once it is legal.  so fucking annoying.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
the only people that smoke mexican brick are jr high students and illegal immigrants
Tu Stultus Es
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
When I was a smoker I lived in Tasmania, it's pretty easy to get and most people knew the dealers pretty well.
I had a mate who went to work on manicuring the plants. He'd go out to a town, they'd blindfold him and drive for about half an hour, then he could remove his blindfold and he'd get to work. At the end of the day he could choose to have either an ounce of bud or $200 cash. I think he said after a few weeks they didn't bother with the blindfold anymore cause they felt they could trust him.

Other people had home operations, some fairly large and networked with other growers so when one grower has finished harvesting, another would be just about ready, another would be planting, another would have them just a bit after germination and another about half grown. This way they could keep a cycle, always sell their product and not flood their own market.

Dunno about the rest of the world, but that's part of my experience with it. This was 8 years ago.
Benzin
+576|6000
17 replies and only a few actually related to the topic of marijuana and only two came close to the actual main question. Good job, BF2s.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina
The only way that a truly responsible marijuana industry could be formed would involve legalization of marijuana.  If it was regulated and taxed, then cartels could no longer distribute it.
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5635|Southern California
The weed I get comes from Premium Organic Treatments about a mile away from my house.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6501|so randum

Mekstizzle wrote:

I think most factory countries need to just rebuild from scratch. If you're always relying on some douchebag Western companies to create jobs and employ your people to make t-shirts for some douchebags in another country then you know you've already gone massively wrong somewhere. I think it's mainly about how people care about others though. You have well enforced minimum wage and child labour laws in countries like the US/UK so it never happens, because they actually give a shit about stuff like that, but they also know it won't hurt them much either. It's not the case in other countries, mainly because they know the corporations will stop coming if they start introducing minimum wage/child laws. They have no other means of providing employment or wealth to their people so they must rely on having lax wage and labour laws, which is their fault in the first place.
yes mek we never went through an industrial revolution and that isn't what these countries are basically going through now. admitedly most of the western world could be seen to be hindering their process, however they will get past it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Pochsy wrote:

This.
Who gives a shit if people are having their heads cut off? 
I want mah drugs.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
I try to avoid mexican reefer as it is heavy with insecticides and they dont use organic fertilizer.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

CapnNismo wrote:

17 replies and only a few actually related to the topic of marijuana and only two came close to the actual main question. Good job, BF2s.
honestly, what did you expect? there have been countless marijuana threads. And the user base (pun intended) of bf2s is pretty broad.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard