mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6740|Sydney, Australia
So in exactly 2 weeks I turn 21..

My folks have been asking me what I want from them and after making some outlandish (and subsequently rejected ) requests, I thought about some new audio gear. Currently I have a pair of HD555's, powered by a Firestone Audio Fubar 3 DAC/amp. While I like them immensely, I often don't feel like wearing headphones while I do work in my room. In that situation I currently run my DAC's RCA output to some Logitech Z-4 speakers. They can make some noise, but eh.. I know it can be a lot better.

SO I was looking around at various things, and kept coming back to the M-Audio AV40's and Cambrige Audio's DacMagic. I know some of you guys use these products, so your opinions would be highly regarded. First up, how would that combo sound? (I'd guess preeeeeetty good.. )

I know I could use my Fubar 3's output for the AV40's, but I figure the DacMagic would allow for a future upgrade of my headphones/dedicated headphone amp.

As far as the speakers go, does anyone know if the AV40's can be mounted on some sort of stands? My desk isn't big enough for them (I'll take a pic and upload it a bit later when my internet isn't shaped.. ), so they would have to go either side of the desk. Also, since I'm used to a sub.. would they provide a decent enough amount of bass (nothing over the top, but enough that it sounds like it should)?

Or.. are there any amps and passive speakers I could be looking at (eg. computer to DacMagic to Cambridge Audio 340A to some kind of speaker)?

A final note: I'll add some pics of my room later to show free space etc.. if you mention any gear and have it, try to take and show a picture. This stuff is nearly impossible to find in stores here (at least close to me), so it would be nice to see how big things are, and how well they fit in with everything else.

edit: So here is my room.. as you can see, there isn't enough room on the desk at the moment

https://i41.tinypic.com/3449u9c.jpg
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6371|Troy, New York
I use AV40's pretty extensively and they are definitely nice speakers for the money. They are a lot smaller than they seem to be online, which is a good thing unless you like having bigger equipment. They should work with stands. As far as bass, its decent but nothing your going to be getting to excited about.
I use them mainly through a floor pod for my guitar to simulate a PA sound, and occasionally for listening to music. They should work well, but you may be looking for something a little bit bigger and more casually oriented, as the AV40s are technically monitors and because of that don't color the sound very much.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6862|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Inb4freezer.
mcminty
Hmm, ok. I recall making a mock speaker with the dimensions given in one review, and they were still fairly decent sized for my desk. As with the picture, I do have space either side of my desk. I actually really want to replace the desk, chair and bookcase. The desk and chair are about 10-12 years old.. and were obviously bought for a much different sized me. I really hate sitting there, and can't really use it to study these days.. Ideally I'd get some kind of corner desk with much more room on the sides and storage near the top, and then a low profile bookshelf where the desk currently is sitting. I'd be able to put any audio gear on top of that.

If I could do that, I'd probs be inclined to look into something this. Actually, I think Zimmer got something like that a little back.. maybe a more powerful amp tho. I like the CD player as well, because I like listening to CDs (the whole experience of putting one on, sitting down to listen while reading a book, etc). For computer audio I could still use the Fubar, until I save up and get something like a dacmagic.

As far as speakers go, I'd ask my uncle about fixing the old Mordant Short MS40's. Sure they are like 20 years old, but the one that works sounds stunning. If that didn't work, I'm not sure where to start looking with speakers. We have some other MS speakers with the home theater, so I like them.. but they are rather expensive..
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6371|Troy, New York

Sydney wrote:

Inb4freezer.
QFT

On a side note, i've heard good things about polk audio, not sure if you can get those over there or not though.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6216|Winland

Whatever you do, don't get a Dacmagic. It's one of the most insanely over-priced under-performers on the market. And while it isn't as bad, that amplifier is far from worth its price. You're much better off getting a better-performing Yamaha receiver for half the price.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-05-14 05:35:53)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
mcminty
That view is pretty much contrary to every review I've read.. what makes you say it? Also.. recommend a Yamaha product, since they make about 10 million different ones...
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6216|Winland

mcminty wrote:

That view is pretty much contrary to every review I've read.. what makes you say it? Also.. recommend a Yamaha product, since they make about 10 million different ones...
The problem with most audio reviewers is that they know jack shit about how the stuff actually works, and thus they are very susceptible of the placebo effect. It usually just adds up to "more money=better sound", even if the actual performance of a product is equal or inferior to another, less costly one. The Dacmagic is a great example of such a product. It's got all the big words that make unknowing fools think it's good. Upsampling? That's something you want to avoid. "...jitter which is especially effective with hard disk playback..."? That's just pure bullshit.

As far as the amplifier goes, even the specifications on their site prove how poor of a performer it is. An amplifier in that price/power range shouldn't give a mere 10 more Watts into 4Ω, it should almost double its output. That, as well as its low weight testifies against under-sized output devices or power supply. Not to mention the fact that its SNR isn't even as good as that of a CD.

As for naming a Yamaha model, do you think you could post a couple of links to stores you would consider buying from? I don't know about any in Australia, and the store you linked to earlier doesn't carry Yamaha.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
pace51
Boom?
+194|5192|Markham, Ontario
If your folks have money, ask for something Bose. Although, my computer uses Altec-lansing speakers, and the sound is pretty awesome though. Especially the large base speaker. Gives games an amazing background feel, like cod5.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6400|the land of bourbon
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6678|The darkside of Denver

pace51 wrote:

If your folks have money, ask for something Bose. Although, my computer uses Altec-lansing speakers, and the sound is pretty awesome though. Especially the large base speaker. Gives games an amazing background feel, like cod5.
troll post.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6516

Freezer's been here 1100 days - what did we do without him?

SonderKommando wrote:

pace51 wrote:

troll post.
i don't think it's trolling if the poster doesn't know anything.

mcminty, is this going to be part of a system, or stand alone?
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5999|Toronto
Minty...a budget would be useful.

I know it's a gift and all, but how much do you think you're worth?

Last edited by TSI (2010-05-14 08:56:01)

I like pie.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6678|The darkside of Denver

burnzz wrote:

Freezer's been here 1100 days - what did we do without him?

SonderKommando wrote:

pace51 wrote:

troll post.
i don't think it's trolling if the poster doesn't know anything.

Somehow I think pace is smarter than he leads on to be. Hes too wholesome not to be some sort of ninja troll.
yes, a budget would be fanfreakintastic.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-05-14 08:18:43)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5197|Sydney
Bose is pretty middle of the road. If you want high quality I wouldn't go there but good all the same.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6216|Winland

Jaekus wrote:

Bose is pretty middle of the road. If you want high quality I wouldn't go there but good all the same.
No, Bose is in the Logitech category when it comes to sound quality, yet in the Klipsch category when it comes to price.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6018|The Mitten
two of these and one of this.

Sound be pretty much sex.
Acoustically, that is.

edit: holy shit you guys get raped on prices!

Last edited by Morpheus (2010-05-14 16:20:41)

EE (hats
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6757|Toronto | Canada

tbh, just ask on what.cd 

You'll get way more and better responses
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6216|Winland

Winston_Churchill wrote:

tbh, just ask on what.cd 

The last time I visited the What forum, I just saw a heap of Ipod/Porta Pro users.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6757|Toronto | Canada

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

tbh, just ask on what.cd 

The last time I visited the What forum, I just saw a heap of Ipod/Porta Pro users.
With 125k+ users youre going to have heaps of every kind of user.  Lots of them know their stuff really, really well
mcminty
Interesting insights freezer. However, why would they bother making something if the SNR is less than a CD/all that stuff? With Yamaha, they are obviously a lot more common over here. If you point out a few models, I'll be able to find them.

Morpheus wrote:

two of these and one of this.

Sound be pretty much sex.
Acoustically, that is.

edit: holy shit you guys get raped on prices!
Yeaahhhh... On the prices front, I need to talk to my uncle. Back in the day, he ran a small high end audio business, so hopefully he still knows where to get stuff on the cheap

TSI wrote:

Minty...a budget would be useful.

I know it's a gift and all, but how much do you think you're worth?
Hmm, I'd say around 1000-1200 AUD.. It really depends, although saying to mum "yeah this would be 700, and then we figure out the speakers" didn't seem to really phase her. As long as I can justify the price lol, which is a pain because we get raped with prices over here..

burnzz wrote:

Err.. as part of a stereo system? I'm probs not going to listen to movies through it, so it's not going to double as a home theatre setup for my room. Last night I dusted off the old record player and stereo (this shit is like 25-30 years old) and listened to this jazz guitar record from 1981. It was rather awesome... so one day I'll want to add a turntable to this setup.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5999|Toronto
Marantz amp
Klipsch speakers

I just blew your budget. Add to it yourself? You won't regret these.

Also, AU gets raped on prices
I like pie.
mcminty
Lol, yeah.. you just blew my budget rather hard. Thing with the amp like that is (at the moment) a lack of space..
mcminty
Ya know, just as a point to make.. whats the obsession with SNR? If you have a look at Cambridge Audio's flagship model receiver, the Azur 840A, its SNR is only >93dB. If the dynamic range of a CD is 93dB.. then why didn't they design the amp (and the cheaper ones) otherwise? I'm sure they would have easily been able to create one with 105+..
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6790|PNW

Try some big-assed studio monitor headphones. Very easy to slip a mic on beneath one, and you can crank your volume without bugging anyone around the house.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard