Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Remind me not to give you the finger on the road. It's also about common sense and restraint. Don't let your rage make you the victim just because someone else instigated a situation.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5999|Vortex Ring State

FatherTed wrote:

I fail to see how someone deserves death for stealing toothpaste...and people are happy with that. People also see cutting peoples hands of for theft barbaric, but thems the double standards.

Yes, he was in the wrong. All you had to do was call it in, or restrain him before he left the shop. Once he's left the shop, it's not your problem. Verdict will probably come back as manslaughter.
tbh shoulda tackled him, taken the toothpaste back, and sent him on his way.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6706|67.222.138.85
That guy is probably nuts. Why you would put someone you already have in a choke-hold, I do not know. Ultimately though:

lowing wrote:

THey ask why would you kill someone over toothpaste. I ask why would you risk your life over toothpaste?

lowing wrote:

...when you commit a crime you stand a real chance of fucking with someone crazier than you.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

mikkel wrote:

lowing wrote:

THey ask why would you kill someone over toothpaste. I ask why would you risk your life over toothpaste?
You ask that because your sense of justice is warped. You do not risk your life stealing a tube of toothpaste any more than you risk your life taking a walk around the block. Meeting death as a consequence of either is wholly unreasonable.
No kidding...
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6779|Great Brown North
well i bet they won't have any more shoplifting there
Flaming_Maniac
You break the social contract, don't be surprised when society breaks you.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5994|Truthistan
CVS is screwed, they will be successfully sued on this one.

And the clerks should be charged with manslaughter.

As Lowing said, you take the chance of running into someone crazier than you, and what these clerks did was completely crazy and completely out of bounds... in fact it was down right insane... fortunately the law is neither crazy nor insane. They strangled the guy and if they kept the choke hold on him after he lost consciousness, after the threat of violence and threat of him running away was gone, then its murder.

If these CVS guys go to jail over this one, it will be a tribute to their stupidity, running down and killing a guy for toothpaste, now there is something for their families to be proud of. Anyway I suspect that if you did any follow up on this one you'll find that these guys will get fired, if they haven't already. In fact I may even write a letter to CVS and tell them that I can't shop at their stores anymore if they have a policy of killing people over toothpaste, I mean I want low prices, but not if those low prices come at the expense of someones life. it sounds so ridiculous to say it, but it really puts the proper perspective on it.

What's next... "Do you like low prices punk... well do yah...because this 44 magnum will blow you head clean off... so don't be touch'n that toothpaste... punk."
https://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/172-0731085053-walmart.jpg..just when you thought it was safe to shoplift

Last edited by Diesel_dyk (2010-05-10 18:05:17)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

yes stealing toothpaste entirely warrants being killed.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
Id choke someone to death if they went in my house and stole tooth paste from my bathroom tbh.  I know how too
Tu Stultus Es
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

I still prefer the Se7en way of justice.

Steal toothpaste? Knock his teeth out and let him go home.
Steal food? Force feed him until his stomach explodes.
Steal a car? Put a bomb in it that will blow up if he drops below 50 mph.
Turquoise
O Canada

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

How Sharia Law of you....
Turquoise
O Canada

lowing wrote:

I do love the families assertion, " oh sure he was a convict, and a drug addict, but he was such a good person". I don't think I will loose any sleep tonight.
For a guy who dislikes fascism, you seem not to mind it in law enforcement.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

i'll take Turquoise for the daily double please
mikkel
+383|6601

lowing wrote:

mikkel wrote:

lowing wrote:

You ask that because your sense of justice is warped. You do not risk your life stealing a tube of toothpaste any more than you risk your life taking a walk around the block. Meeting death as a consequence of either is wholly unreasonable.
Sorry, a convictied felon, and drug addict........More to the story than him being killed over toothpaste..

I never said it was justice, he never made it to justice.  When you commit a crime, there is a chance you might turn into the victim, the real price you pay for your criminal behavior. THe thing is, when you commit a crime, you stand a chance of fucking with someone more crazy than you are, and when you instigate the confrontation, and you loose, it is your problem.
Are you honestly trying to convince me that it's better to accept irrational and disproportionate reprisal than to detest it? The law does not disappear when broken, and this kind of behaviour remains illegal. "It is your problem" just doesn't fly.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-05-10 19:59:28)

Flaming_Maniac

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mmmm that's a nice dose of empty rhetoric you served up there
Turquoise
O Canada

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I'm all for the social contract, but I'm not exactly sympathetic to disproportionate punishment.
Flaming_Maniac

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'm all for the social contract, but I'm not exactly sympathetic to disproportionate punishment.
Crime and punishment is not a zero-sum game. The results of crime are not of a nature that can be "paid back" to society by the offending party, assuming the justice system even gets a hold of the perpetrator. To maintain the rights of people that break the social contract is to either 1) assume no crime will exist or 2) accept a state where society will crumble in a relatively short period of time. If people think they can get away with anything and face at worst consequences equal to their crime then the incentive is there to commit crime. It is impossible to maintain order in a system with that characteristic.

That's why for the period of time you are actually breaking social contract, you are absolutely on your own. If you break it, escape, and later turn yourself in then of course it is imperative that limits are placed on the system to maintain the rights of the possibly innocent, that's what the Bill of Rights is for. When someone is actually in the act of burglary, rape, murder etc. and to extend those same rights to them as if they are a member of society is to provide protection to those that have shrugged the responsibilities of being a member of society.

That's why though he clearly should not have been killed, I feel no sympathy for the thief. As I would feel no sympathy for the man who killed him if another person tried to stop the man from killing the thief if he had accidentally killed him. When you are actively working against a stable society you forfeit your rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6365|California

mtb0minime wrote:

I still prefer the Se7en way of justice.

Steal toothpaste? Knock his teeth out and let him go home.
Steal food? Force feed him until his stomach explodes.
Steal a car? Put a bomb in it that will blow up if he drops below 50 mph.
force feed? but what about the starving americans africans??
Turquoise
O Canada

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Crime and punishment is not a zero-sum game. The results of crime are not of a nature that can be "paid back" to society by the offending party, assuming the justice system even gets a hold of the perpetrator. To maintain the rights of people that break the social contract is to either 1) assume no crime will exist or 2) accept a state where society will crumble in a relatively short period of time. If people think they can get away with anything and face at worst consequences equal to their crime then the incentive is there to commit crime. It is impossible to maintain order in a system with that characteristic.

That's why for the period of time you are actually breaking social contract, you are absolutely on your own. If you break it, escape, and later turn yourself in then of course it is imperative that limits are placed on the system to maintain the rights of the possibly innocent, that's what the Bill of Rights is for. When someone is actually in the act of burglary, rape, murder etc. and to extend those same rights to them as if they are a member of society is to provide protection to those that have shrugged the responsibilities of being a member of society.

That's why though he clearly should not have been killed, I feel no sympathy for the thief. As I would feel no sympathy for the man who killed him if another person tried to stop the man from killing the thief if he had accidentally killed him. When you are actively working against a stable society you forfeit your rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.
Well, like I said, not all of us look at it in draconian terms, and I would posit that your assumptions are incorrect as shown by various societies that do not dole out draconian punishments nor accept vigilante justice but still have low crime -- much lower than ours in fact.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

What do Hobbes, Locke and Rousseau have to do with sharia law?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Well, like I said, not all of us look at it in draconian terms, and I would posit that your assumptions are incorrect as shown by various societies that do not dole out draconian punishments nor accept vigilante justice but still have low crime -- much lower than ours in fact.
mmmm another serving of that rhetoric

What about that is draconian exactly? Besides of course the fact that legally we don't dole out what even by your standards would be considered "draconian punishments", and that what I wrote specifically pertains to the period in which the contract is broken.
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Well, for that matter...  what does vigilante justice have to do with the social contract?
Turquoise
O Canada

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

What about that is draconian exactly? Besides of course the fact that legally we don't dole out what even by your standards would be considered "draconian punishments", and that what I wrote specifically pertains to the period in which the contract is broken.
You're clearly trying to justify vigilante justice.  I'm explaining why it isn't logical.
Flaming_Maniac

Turquoise wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

You're clearly trying to justify vigilante justice.  I'm explaining why it isn't logical.
and it isn't because...?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well, for that matter...  what does vigilante justice have to do with the social contract?
Do you believe you have the right to defend your home? How does that differ from 'vigilante justice'? Shouldn't you call the police instead of interfering with the intruders as they rape your wife/daughter/mother/gf/dog/sheep/cow/goat etc? How do you feel about 'citizens arrests'?

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-05-10 21:23:48)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard