eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

70% of Americans...

1002 people polled.

fail poll is fail.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/127598/Ameri … n-Law.aspx

~1000 people is a pretty standard number used for polls, it gets you the ~3-5% error you usually see.

---

There is a fine line between enforcing immigration laws to prevent a huge influx of people and nativist shit disguised as immigration enforcement. It's going to be veeeeery difficult for a law that allows police to stop people under "reasonable" circumstances to make them prove their citizenship to walk that line.
perhaps but online polls arent scietific.  not in the least.  might as well use a poll from this forum.
Tu Stultus Es
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85
read motherfucker.

Gallup wrote:

Survey Methods

Results are based on telephone interviews with 1,013 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted April 27-28, 2010. For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points.

Interviews are conducted with respondents on landline telephones (for respondents with a landline telephone) and cellular phones (for respondents who are cell phone only).

In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
i didnt even notice the link.
Tu Stultus Es
Flaming_Maniac
ah next time I'll put it in a nice amber color so it stands out against the usually white text OH WAIT
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
I was talking about the retarded poll blademaster is using for the OP
Tu Stultus Es
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5992|Truthistan
Maybe Latino/Hispanic US citizens should think about wearing some sort of identifying patch on their sleave to avoid police harrassment. You know like they used in the past....
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/German_concentration_camp_chart_of_prisoner_markings.jpg

Think its a good idea? I wonder what a poll would show on that question. (I would actually be afraid to know that answer what would it be 10%? 30%? 50%?)

IMO you need to have a law that won't negatively impact US citizens. Whether or not the law is popular is irrelevant because you really need to ask those citizens who are most likely to be affected, whether its a good idea. For everyone else (ie blond haired and blue eyed people), the laws application is not going to affect them because its targeting Mexicans and people from central and South America. So Whether or not some blonde haired blue citizens thinks the law is a good idea is really irrelevant because the law is all upside for them and no downside. Let's see those guys support a law that presents them with some downside and see what kind of support you get. Its easy to be a patriot when someone else is shouldering the burden.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
Im glad I bought a shotgun
Tu Stultus Es
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Seven in 10 U.S. adults support arresting people who can’t prove they’re in the United States legally, a poll about Arizona’s new immigration law indicated.
Ausweis bitte! Nice..
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command

eleven bravo wrote:

Seriously questioning;

What does this mean?
How does it relate to the OP?
What is your point?
Is there any purpose of this besides to annoy and waste your forum compadres time?

Not try to respark a feud. Asking a question.

I just don't undertstand the benefit to the forum here.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS

ATG wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Seriously questioning;

What does this mean?
How does it relate to the OP?
What is your point?
Is there any purpose of this besides to annoy and waste your forum compadres time?

Not try to respark a feud. Asking a question.

I just don't undertstand the benefit to the forum here.
whether intentional or not fuck me talk about throwing petrol on a fire.

and then lighting a bomb in it.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
I think most countries require immigrants to have documents on them at all time... Same in Taiwan. It's pretty fucking stupid to go out without having proof of identification in the first place if you get into an accident etc.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6619|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

I think most countries require immigrants to have documents on them at all time... Same in Taiwan. It's pretty fucking stupid to go out without having proof of identification in the first place if you get into an accident etc.
From what I gather the issue isn't even about the feelings of illegal or even legal immigrants, it's about the regular legal citizens who feel they're gonna get harassed much more cos of this law. FEOS will show you the letter of the law that says that they're not really allowed to do that, but then it's different from real life, how else would they try and enforce such a law without inevitably harassing the legal Americans. Especially in areas where there is big illegal immigration.

ATG will tell you that it's their fault for looking just like the illegals do and they should just suck it up and deal with the reality of the situation. I dunno about that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
When enough US citizens get arrested because they didn't happen to have their passport on them I expect the Police will just stop doing it.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5235|Cleveland, Ohio

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

read motherfucker.
reported
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Maybe Latino/Hispanic US citizens should think about wearing some sort of identifying patch on their sleave to avoid police harrassment. You know like they used in the past....
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … rkings.jpg

Think its a good idea? I wonder what a poll would show on that question. (I would actually be afraid to know that answer what would it be 10%? 30%? 50%?)

IMO you need to have a law that won't negatively impact US citizens. Whether or not the law is popular is irrelevant because you really need to ask those citizens who are most likely to be affected, whether its a good idea. For everyone else (ie blond haired and blue eyed people), the laws application is not going to affect them because its targeting Mexicans and people from central and South America. So Whether or not some blonde haired blue citizens thinks the law is a good idea is really irrelevant because the law is all upside for them and no downside. Let's see those guys support a law that presents them with some downside and see what kind of support you get. Its easy to be a patriot when someone else is shouldering the burden.
Yeah, I'm gonna stop reading your posts now. Comparing this law to what Hitler did to Jews tells me you've been watching too much MSNBC. Diesel, like I said, you used to be worth reading. Now I see that most of your posts are just long winded and not any more intelligent than what ruisleipa has to say on a given topic.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command

Mekstizzle wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

From what I gather the issue isn't even about the feelings of illegal or even legal immigrants, it's about the regular legal citizens who feel they're gonna get harassed much more cos of this law. FEOS will show you the letter of the law that says that they're not really allowed to do that, but then it's different from real life, how else would they try and enforce such a law without inevitably harassing the legal Americans. Especially in areas where there is big illegal immigration.

ATG will tell you that it's their fault for looking just like the illegals do and they should just suck it up and deal with the reality of the situation. I dunno about that.
No, I would say that your sounding like a simpleton.

Read the bill then we can talk.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna stop reading your posts now. Comparing this law to what Hitler did to Jews tells me you've been watching too much MSNBC. Diesel, like I said, you used to be worth reading. Now I see that most of your posts are just long winded and not any more intelligent than what ruisleipa has to say on a given topic.
Wow, do they really not teach history in the US any more?

Protip: Its why Europeans, esp the British, find the idea of identity cards offensive and dangerous.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-04-30 07:11:20)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Protip: Its why Europeans, esp the British, find the idea of identity cards offensive and dangerous.
I carry a driver's license in my pocket every day with me. If I am driving a car, am stopped by the police and don't produce my license, I pay a steep fine. It's also a misdemeanor. Sometimes I'm asked to produce ID when I buy beer and/or cigarettes. Since my ID has both a photo on it and my date of birth, it's all I need to make my purchase.

All the law states is that if you can't produce a driver's license or passport (read: official document that they can verify has accurate info), you'll be arrested. Now, this isn't really any different than normal as you can be arrested for driving without a license anyway.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I carry a driver's license in my pocket every day with me. If I am driving a car, am stopped by the police and don't produce my license, I pay a steep fine. It's also a misdemeanor. Sometimes I'm asked to produce ID when I buy beer and/or cigarettes. Since my ID has both a photo on it and my date of birth, it's all I need to make my purchase.

All the law states is that if you can't produce a driver's license or passport (read: official document that they can verify has accurate info), you'll be arrested. Now, this isn't really any different than normal as you can be arrested for driving without a license anyway.
Thats the thing, the idea you can be arrested or fined for not carrying a document.
Hitler started that and its why we don't accept it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Thats the thing, the idea you can be arrested or fined for not carrying a document.
Hitler started that and its why we don't accept it.
Because driving without proof that you are allowed to shouldn't be punished? 99% of the time you aren't arrested for driving without a license unless it's a repeat offense, and if you do actually possess a license and just forgot it that day you can go to court and have it significantly reduced or thrown out.

I'm failing to see the big deal here.

Btw, what would happen if I was caught in Australia or the UK without a passport or working papers?

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-04-30 07:39:06)

-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac
The difference is driving or just walking around.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The difference is driving or just walking around.
So basically, what the law has done is expand the need to carry ID from when you are just driving a car or buying beer or cigs to requiring at least a non-drivers license ID that you need anyway for such tasks as opening up a bank account, cashing a check etc. I dunno about you, but I carry my wallet everywhere with me and it happens to have three forms of ID in it anyway.
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac
So do I. But you shouldn't be required to.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Btw, what would happen if I was caught in Australia or the UK without a passport or working papers?
Would depend on the situation, if they have reason to believe you're up to no good they'll want some kind of proof of identity.
The Police wouldn't be stopping you and asking for your papers just because you looked foreign though.

Because driving without proof that you are allowed to shouldn't be punished?
Why should it? As long as you are allowed to you haven't done anything wrong.

ID for beer or cigs aren't required in Aus or Europe unless you look under age.
(Getting carded in Florida at 32 was fn ridiculous)

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-04-30 07:53:12)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Would depend on the situation, if they have reason to believe you're up to no good they'll want some kind of proof of identity.
The Police wouldn't be stopping you and asking for your papers just because you looked foreign though.

Because driving without proof that you are allowed to shouldn't be punished?
Why should it? As long as you are allowed to you haven't done anything wrong.
If you don't produce proof, is the cop supposed to take your word on it?
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard