ruisleipa
+149|6281|teh FIN-land

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

@dyk
Rather than go through every single one of your 'points' and tell you how wrong you are, I am just going to focus on the car one.
is that cos he's not wrong and the only thing you know about is cars so you choose that one, despite the fact that you screw up your reply by..not proving him wrong. His car probably IS not American. All that shite you wrote has fuck all to do with his post. Sorry.

anyway can someone explain why they think you cannot have enough money cos as far as I'm concerned a cap on earnings wouldn't be a bad idea at all, just like football players should have a wage cap too.

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-04-30 00:08:07)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6825|UK

CapnNismo wrote:

max wrote:

Vilham wrote:

The loss from inflation < the tax that will be charged on it. Hence why offshore accounts exist.
I see a lot of these offshore accounts. The money there is never idle. It's always invested into something.
Exactly - why should it? You can certainly leave this stuff in large interest savings accounts, but a large portion will always stay in the system moving around and a reserve sitting in a savings account. Like John and Max said, this stuff moves around A LOT.
Yeah coz Americans are renowned for only investing in US markets.... You guys are mental if you think all the money rich people earn stays within your economy.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6825|UK

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

So by that line of reasoning axe the taxes and keep more money in America.

Not at all, but rich people will play people to launder their money, saying all the money rich people earns goes back into the system is plain fucking retarded.
Putting pressure on rich people with taxes just because they're rich isn't going to help the job base expand.
Where did I say it did? All I have said is that suggesting the money rich people earn goes back into your own economy is such a retarded statement.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5417|London, England

Vilham wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Not at all, but rich people will play people to launder their money, saying all the money rich people earns goes back into the system is plain fucking retarded.
Putting pressure on rich people with taxes just because they're rich isn't going to help the job base expand.
Where did I say it did? All I have said is that suggesting the money rich people earn goes back into your own economy is such a retarded statement.
Perhaps not directly, but economics is in no way a zero-sum venture. Taking money from X country and depositing it in Y country has no net negative effect on country X. Why? Because all markets are interconnected and the money placed in Y country will eventually flow back into X. This is why trade deficits don't matter. In the long run it will balance itself out (unless of course countries like China forcibly tie their currency to another currency instead of letting it float, different topic).

Money is not static, nor is money supply. Even if half of the money currently in the US supply suddenly was deposited for good in a closed market like North Korea, all it would do is double the value of the dollar for everyone else. Sure, deflation like this has it's own consequences but this deflation is the primary reason that money is constantly printed. It counteracts any money sitting idle in savings accounts and makes it worthless over time.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6869|Nårvei

Money isn't everything ... there is also gold and diamonds
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Varegg wrote:

Diamonds are rather worthless. Their price is only propped up by the DeBeers cartel. If DeBeers ever opened up its vaults, diamonds would be worth pennies on the dollar compared to what they go for now.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
BLdw
+27|5231|M104 "Sombrero"

JohnG@lt wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Diamonds are rather worthless. Their price is only propped up by the DeBeers cartel. If DeBeers ever opened up its vaults, diamonds would be worth pennies on the dollar compared to what they go for now.
So -- diamonds aren't worthless after all?
ruisleipa
+149|6281|teh FIN-land

BLdw wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Varegg wrote:

mined with blood that's for sure.

ban diamonds tbh.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

BLdw wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Perhaps my English is different than your English. When the word 'worthless' is used in expression, it does not automatically mean the thing has zero value.
-Frederick Bastiat
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6058|Vortex Ring State

JohnG@lt wrote:

BLdw wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Perhaps my English is different than your English. When the word 'worthless' is used in expression, it does not automatically mean the thing has zero value.
bullion > diamonds
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6641|SE London

JohnG@lt wrote:

BLdw wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Perhaps it is....

"Worthless" items usually can't be sold easily for vast amounts of money - as diamonds can. So they're not worthless.

They have the potential to become worthless, but as it stands, they are not.
BLdw
+27|5231|M104 "Sombrero"

JohnG@lt wrote:

BLdw wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Or maybe diamonds aren't rather worthless after all because something needs to be done for them to become worthless.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

BLdw wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

BLdw wrote:

Or maybe diamonds aren't rather worthless after all because something needs to be done for them to become worthless.
Which is why I tempered my statement by saying that it would require DeBeers to dump their stock of diamonds into the market for their real value to come into existence. The value of diamonds is only high as long as those warehouses stay full. It's artificial.
-Frederick Bastiat
ruisleipa
+149|6281|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

wtf does worthless mean if not zero value?
BLdw
+27|5231|M104 "Sombrero"

JohnG@lt wrote:

BLdw wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Which is why I tempered my statement by saying that it would require DeBeers to dump their stock of diamonds into the market for their real value to come into existence. The value of diamonds is only high as long as those warehouses stay full. It's artificial.
Yes... but now at the very moment diamonds are not worthless. After doing this and that and so on diamonds (maybe)would be rather worthless.
I'm not trying to correct your English here, as I am fairly sure you handle it better than I do. But your statement that diamonds are rather worthless is absurd because something needs to happen for it to be true.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6775
You can never make enough money.

oh and ITT: people who do not understand basic principles of economics or globalization gg.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
mikkel
+383|6660

Cybargs wrote:

oh and ITT: people who do not understand basic principles of economics or globalization gg.
You keep putting people down by claiming that they don't understand economics, but I never see you substantiate why you think that is. What are your qualifications anyway?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS

ruisleipa wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

wtf does worthless mean if not zero value?
yeah i'm wondering this as well... i always took worthless <=> without worth <=> without value
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6775

mikkel wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

You keep putting people down by claiming that they don't understand economics, but I never see you substantiate why you think that is. What are your qualifications anyway?
Planning to graduate from Stern school of business.

I'm not saying EVERYONE in the thread doesn't understand concepts of econ, but most don't. As John has said, money is always circulated. If you invest money in another country, the wealth created benefits the local populace at first, but trickles down to the global community.

And you can never make enough money. Why have we as a society demonized the rich and successful? Making money and stealing is not the same thing (Maddof lelz).
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
mikkel
+383|6660

Cybargs wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

I'm planning on going to the moon. Does that make me a qualified astronaut?
Spark
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS

Cybargs wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

I'm not saying EVERYONE in the thread doesn't understand concepts of econ, but most don't. As John has said, money is always circulated. If you invest money in another country, the wealth created benefits the local populace at first, but trickles down to the global community.

And you can never make enough money. Why have we as a society demonized the rich and successful? Making money and stealing is not the same thing (Maddof lelz).
curious - what does economics say about the relative, er, "efficiencies" of the rich compared to the poor in recycling money into the economy? I.e. as a proportion of their income how effective are they comparatively putting money back into the economy?

(probably makes no sense, but anyway)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6775

Spark wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

mikkel wrote:

curious - what does economics say about the relative, er, "efficiencies" of the rich compared to the poor in recycling money into the economy? I.e. as a proportion of their income how effective are they comparatively putting money back into the economy?

(probably makes no sense, but anyway)
You have to take into the account of the creation of wealth as well. The rich usually invest in business', buying stocks, commodities etc, making productions cheaper, which passes down to the savings of the consumer.

The lower classes earn money from jobs, then spend it on consumer goods and invest a lot less compared to the upper classes.

The rich usually are the ones who drive the economy more. Investing circulates the money and most of the time has a trickle down effect (employment, production, profits etc).
ruisleipa
+149|6281|teh FIN-land

Cybargs wrote:

And you can never make enough money.
complete bullshit I'm afraid.
Spark
+874|6734|Canberra, AUS
personally i reckon there is a point where one could say "yeah i've made enough money" but that's an entirely personal decision, and there would have to be very good reason for anyone else to dictate otherwise.
~ Richard Feynman
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5809|شمال

ruisleipa wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

And you can never make enough money.
complete bullshit I'm afraid.
Its called greed. a deadly sin!
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic

Board footer