mooneyno1
Carl Gustav <3333
+16|5974|Sheffield
okay, so it's my 18th at the end of may (WIN) and I get a little more money as usual, but I don't really wanna go above £180.

I want to buy a new processor (an i5) maybe, that will run BC2 decently, but the problem is, I really don't have a clue on how to go about it plus I don't know if my processor and psu will handle it. So with your help, maybe I can get something pretty decent that will definitely run with my current system.

Here are my specs:
ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard
E6600 @ 2.4 ghz (not gonna be that important if I get a new cpu)
550w PSU
384mb 8800GS (oc'd but it's not that great)
2 gig ram

okay, will this be able to take an i5 or something similar cause I really want to play BC2 but I don't wanna spend my 18th birthday money on pc (wanna go out and get absolutely smashed lol)

So please, only post in this thread if you are a pc sick0 cause I would really like some help (nothing over £180 remember too)

If you could also give ebuyer links to the product that would be great.

UPDATE:
After doing some searching on the Q8400, it turns out that my motherboard doesn't support it, so after some help from a few friends I made the decision to get a E8400 @ 3.0 ghz instead for the same price as well as the processor fan.

Thanks for all the help anyways!

Mooney <3

Last edited by mooneyno1 (2010-04-24 12:13:09)

DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6474|cuntshitlake

You would need a new motherboard and new ram with i5. Plus that gpu would severely bottleneck you with an i5 and thus the performance increase would probably not be that huge.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5190|Sydney
I know very little about Intel chips, but it looks like your board supports socket LGA775, and an i5 chip is a socket LGA1156.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Sockets

edit:

Looks like you're in the same dilemma I was in a couple months ago. To upgrade the chip, you need to upgrade the motherboard, which in turn mean you need to upgrade the RAM, but then to make the most of your new system you'll need a better video card... ah what the hell, let's just get new everything!

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-04-24 06:09:35)

mooneyno1
Carl Gustav <3333
+16|5974|Sheffield

DUnlimited wrote:

You would need a new motherboard and new ram with i5. Plus that gpu would severely bottleneck you with an i5 and thus the performance increase would probably not be that huge.
hmmm thanks. What would be best them, I'm being told on steam to get win7 cause DX10 = fps boost, this right ?

he also said this:
Brain Abstinence: De Core 2 Duo E8600 would be the smartest choice
Brain Abstinence: and mebe some naise CPU-Fan aswell
Brain Abstinence: OC from 3,2 to 3,4/3,6
Brain Abstinence: Will gief u enuff power

what you guys think! more opinions the better

Last edited by mooneyno1 (2010-04-24 06:09:12)

Jaekus
+957|5190|Sydney
No, you'll actually get a performance boost for forcing Dx9 (I found this with a cheap card I had originally bought).
You'd be better off going for a proper upgrade than trying to o/c what is now old technology.
Windows 7 also uses more system resources than XP, so with your RAM and CPU, you'll notice a performance decrease.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5248|Cleveland, Ohio
i would buy a ps3 tbh
jsnipy
+3,276|6534|...

Jaekus wrote:

Windows 7 also uses more system resources than XP, so with your RAM and CPU, you'll notice a performance decrease.
it's really not that simple.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
dx10 will decrease fps on that system. it's essentially just higher-quality graphics/rendering/aliasing/etc. vista has dx10 support, too.

to run bc2 smoothly there's no way around the fact that your entire system is out-dated. you need a complete new mobo/cpu/ram package (i.e. a ddr3-i5 one), and then to maximize the potential of that new set-up you'll need a video-card with more ooomph (i.e. a dx10/11-series card). you're looking at £400'ish sensibly to get to bc2-comfort zones, not £150. sorry, computers are a bitch.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
mooneyno1
Carl Gustav <3333
+16|5974|Sheffield
hmmm thanks for the reply guys. So there would be no point in say,

buying this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164520

and this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176157

and overclock it a bit ? Cause I obviously don't have enough for a new pc But would really like a small upgrade if possible that could some how help me.
Jaekus
+957|5190|Sydney

jsnipy wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Thanks for your helpful input. Maybe next time you'd care to elaborate, for the benefit of the disucssion?
Jaekus
+957|5190|Sydney

Uzique wrote:

dx10 will decrease fps on that system. it's essentially just higher-quality graphics/rendering/aliasing/etc. vista has dx10 support, too.

to run bc2 smoothly there's no way around the fact that your entire system is out-dated. you need a complete new mobo/cpu/ram package (i.e. a ddr3-i5 one), and then to maximize the potential of that new set-up you'll need a video-card with more ooomph (i.e. a dx10/11-series card). you're looking at £400'ish sensibly to get to bc2-comfort zones, not £150. sorry, computers are a bitch.
qft
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5799|Catherine Black
Quad core is a good choice for BC2. You would also see a big improvement in upgrading your graphics card, perhaps to a 5770, but that's a bit expensive if you're getting the processor too.

Jaekus wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Thanks for your helpful input. Maybe next time you'd care to elaborate, for the benefit of the disucssion?
If you turn off all the shineys, Windows 7 can be more efficient and less resource hungry than XP.

Last edited by Finray (2010-04-24 06:23:22)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6534|...

Jaekus wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

No I don't care to elaborate, tech is for help not for people posting guesses.

also ...

Finray wrote:

Quad core is a good choice for BC2. You would also see a big improvement in upgrading your graphics card, perhaps to a 5770, but that's a bit expensive if you're getting the processor too.

Jaekus wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

If you turn off all the shineys, Windows 7 can be more efficient and less resource hungry than XP.
QFT
Jaekus
+957|5190|Sydney
Ok, thanks Finray.
mooneyno1
Carl Gustav <3333
+16|5974|Sheffield

Finray wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Was the top bit aimed at my post above yours ?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Indeed it was.

If you have to pick, go for the CPU.
mooneyno1
Carl Gustav <3333
+16|5974|Sheffield

Finray wrote:

Indeed it was.

Sorry to ask then, so your saying I should go with the Q8400 with that fan ?

How much more would that be better for my system. (gotta make sure I get this all correct before I buy it, don't wanna do anything stupid)

Thanks <3
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

mooneyno1 wrote:

Finray wrote:

Indeed it was.

How much more would that be better for my system. (gotta make sure I get this all correct before I buy it, don't wanna do anything stupid)

Thanks <3
Well if you're looking for just performance from Bad Company 2, then getting a more powerful processor with more cores is definitely the way to go. This is because Bad Company 2 is designed mainly for consoles, and they have very powerful processors, and not as powerful graphics cards. Other games made on engines designed for PCs (Like Call of Duty games) utilize graphics cards more than processors, and that's when your graphics card will start bottlenecking.
jsnipy
+3,276|6534|...

That board will support a 9550, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/185075

I have a box with the same motherboard, runs bfbc2 great (but the video is different gtx275)

Last edited by jsnipy (2010-04-24 06:42:29)

mooneyno1
Carl Gustav <3333
+16|5974|Sheffield

Finray wrote:

mooneyno1 wrote:

Finray wrote:

Indeed it was.

Thanks <3
Well if you're looking for just performance from Bad Company 2, then getting a more powerful processor with more cores is definitely the way to go. This is because Bad Company 2 is designed mainly for consoles, and they have very powerful processors, and not as powerful graphics cards. Other games made on engines designed for PCs (Like Call of Duty games) utilize graphics cards more than processors, and that's when your graphics card will start bottlenecking.
Ah right thanks, think I will buy it then with that fan, cause I wanna be able to play BC2 with decent fps. Not that bothard what it looks like lololol

So yeah. Cheers for the helpz
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

jsnipy wrote:

That board will support a 9550, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/185075

I have a box with the same motherboard, runs bfbc2 great (but the video is different gtx275)
His budget is £180, not £270.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6579|NYC / Hamburg

Your motherboard doesn't properly support and is terrible for overclocking 45nm CPUs (i.e. E5xxx, E7xxx, E8xxx, Q8xxx and Q9xxx CPUs). For a cheap performance boost, you're probably best off picking up a second hand Q6600 G0 (SLACR), overclocking it a bit and a second hand GTX260/HD4870. Should just about fit into your budget.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6482
hey max, sell me stuff please
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6208|Winland

max wrote:

Your motherboard doesn't properly support and is terrible for overclocking 45nm CPUs (i.e. E5xxx, E7xxx, E8xxx, Q8xxx and Q9xxx CPUs). For a cheap performance boost, you're probably best off picking up a second hand Q6600 G0 (SLACR), overclocking it a bit and a second hand GTX260/HD4870. Should just about fit into your budget.
You forgot the E3xxx series.

And the "Four sticks of RAM" series
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6579|NYC / Hamburg

Freezer7Pro wrote:

max wrote:

You forgot the E3xxx series.

And the "Four sticks of RAM" series
heh, I knew I forgot something

Uzique wrote:

hey max, sell me stuff please
sure. What do you want?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard