+2,053|6764|PNW

haffeysucks wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Louis.Childe you mean?
No, I mean LouisChilde
nickname AND identifier
Oh, .uesc

I am not accustomed to having a suffix on my username.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6149|Vancouver | Canada
So is it normal to win the first game you play, then spectacularly lose the next 4 games?
Brasso
+1,549|6623

DefCon-17 wrote:

So is it normal to win the first game you play, then spectacularly lose the next 4 games?
in placement matches?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

haffeysucks wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

in placement matches?
Yup.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

DefCon-17 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

in placement matches?
Yup.
then yeah, you have both people who have never played an RTS before and people that were SC1 pros, no big deal if you lost a lot of games there
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Ahh okay, good.

I still get the feeling I completely fail at this game though.

In my first placement match (the ones after the Novice matches), I got annihilated by an army of Void Rays. The second time I got rushed by Reapers...that game took about 5 minutes. Third game was against the Reaper-rush guy again, but I managed to hold off about half an hour before he took me out.

On a sidenote...Vikings are awesome for taking out the mineral-gatherers. Fly in, switch to land-mode, kill a bunch, switch back to the flying-mode and zoom away.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6568|London
Reaper rush is annoying, generally all you need to do is send an SCV or two after it to force him to kite you, which buys you time to pump out a few marines.

Void rays are a little overpowered IMO. If you let your opponent mass them as Terran you've pretty much lost as Terran have no cost effective counter to them. Get marines and marauders early and keep pressuring the protoss. Late game make sure you get a ghost for emp.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

void rays ARE overpowered.  i'll say it again and again, and people will disagree with me, but mass 8-10 void rays and nearly nothing can stop you.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
He had like 8 Reapers though. They'd just rip through my harvesters. I think my main mistake was sending my (roughly) 10 Zerglings towards his base (kekeke), then trying to get through his SupDepot front door while his Reapers killed my Zerglings. Then I wasn't fast enough with rebuilding some offensive units and he backdoored me with his Reapers.

As for Void Rais, I think they should lose their power when they switch targets. That would make more sense.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6568|London
Played a couple of games just now, almost no zerg opponents Guess patch 12 wasn't very popular.

@Def if a rush like that fails get spine crawlers. They can move on creep later on so they're a good use of resources if you have minerals but no larva.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5477|Bolingbrook, Illinois
this game is hard as hell
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I liked playing the AI in Starcraft more, especially with buddies. In battlenet vs, if your opponent isn't a self-important douche, he's an acronym robot who will type the same things like clockwork.

Not to mention that there was almost zero friendliness towards people trying to get into the game for the first time.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-05-14 18:17:51)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
"gl hf" "lol" "gg"

It's not as bad as Heroes of Newerth though.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6358|California

DefCon-17 wrote:

"gl hf" "lol" "gg"

It's not as bad as Heroes of Newerth though.
"mid"
what teh fuck your scout and you want mid?
yes
FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
disconnect
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6700|67.222.138.85

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I liked playing the AI in Starcraft more, especially with buddies. In battlenet vs, if your opponent isn't a self-important douche, he's an acronym robot who will type the same things like clockwork.

Not to mention that there was almost zero friendliness towards people trying to get into the game for the first time.
I mean this categorically defines any competitive game with a community more than three years old. The point at which it becomes a hyper competitive, elitist community.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I mean this categorically defines any competitive game with a community more than three years old. The point at which it becomes a hyper competitive, elitist community.
It really depends on the game. Older games with dedicated servers with a healthy playerbase of regulars can potentially be quite inviting. It's the random encounter business that usually throws you in with the dicks.

So basically, if Starcraft 2 had no single player or AI, I wouldn't buy it in a million years.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-05-14 22:37:16)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
So how bad is Copper rank 58?
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6568|London

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It really depends on the game. Older games with dedicated servers with a healthy playerbase of regulars can potentially be quite inviting. It's the random encounter business that usually throws you in with the dicks.

So basically, if Starcraft 2 had no single player or AI, I wouldn't buy it in a million years.
Try the custom games, and chat a little in the lobby beforehand to establish that you're new. If you get someone who just wants practice then quit and rejoin till you get someone cool. The custom maps are almost always about messing around, there are co-op ones being made all the time as well.

In ladders people will be busy playing so they won't type more than a few letters. I usually just spam smileys in response becuase there isn't time to write more, not really trying to be a douche.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

DefCon-17 wrote:

you could have gone up against good people in your placements.  keep playing and if you get promoted to another league, you'll know you're better than copper.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

Brasso wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

you could have gone up against good people in your placements.  keep playing and if you get promoted to another league, you'll know you're better than copper.
True...although I know I'm not very good at the game anyways.

I think I'll play a shit-ton before the wipe, so that my rank might be better after.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6568|London
The ladder really needs to update more frequently

We got stuck at ranked 1 gold 2v2 for 8 consecutive wins. Then it finally promotes us and we go straight to rank 8 platinum

Top of gold should = bottom of platinum
Hope_is_lost117
Psy squad
+49|5989|Belgium
Semi Decent zerg player : Jackalminded.Foxhunter
wouldn't mind a game against a bf2s'er
Brasso
+1,549|6623

Hope_is_lost117 wrote:

Semi Decent zerg player : Jackalminded.Foxhunter
wouldn't mind a game against a bf2s'er
i would play you but i don't think i can add people that aren't from NA...
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6568|London
Bah beta phase 1 ending on the 31st, which is almost exactly when my exams finish

Hope_is_lost if you add me Ill happily give you some games.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

well patch 13 kinda blows.  either someone doesn't load the map or the game inexplicably freezes for everyone in the middle of the match.  or you have horrible lag the entire match.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard