blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637
A Muslim woman from Troy filed a bias complaint today, saying she was denied a job at a McDonald's restaurant in Rochester Hills because of her religion and ethnicity.A McDonald's official said their restaurant chain does not discriminate and has accommodated religious headwear for years.
Nasihah Barlaskar, 19, wears an Islamic head scarf known as a hijab. She told the Free Press that during a job interview on March 27, a manager at McDonald's asked her about her nationality. The manager then asked "if I had to wear that thing on my head," according to Barlaskar.

Barlaskar said she replied: "I do. Is that a problem?"The manager then told Barlaskar she probably wouldn't be able to wear that if she was working, according to Barlaskar.

Barlaskar filed the complaint with the EEOC, Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, the U.S. agency that deals with job discrimination. It was filed with the help of Dawud Walid, head of the Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Joan Rachelson, director of operations for McDonald's Michigan region, said in a statement that the restaurant has a "strict policy prohibiting any form of discrimination."She said the allegations "are not consistent with our policies."

Barlaskar, who was born in the United States, said it wasn't proper for the manager to ask her about her nationality. Barlaskar's parents are immigrants from Bangladesh.Barlaksar said she filed the complaint because "I don't want other people to go through what I went through. ... If no one speaks up, this will continue to happen, this won't be the last time. We have to stand up."

In July 2008, two Muslim women, Toi Whitfield of Detroit and Quiana Pugh of Dearborn, complained after a manager at a McDonald's restaurant in Dearborn said they could not wear Islamic headscarves at work. Nabih Ayad, their attorney, filed suit and he said today that the case may go to trial in a couple of months.Barlaskar said she is a college student who was looking for a part-time job so she wouldn't have to rely on her parents for expenses like gas money. She said her father was recently laid off.

After the interview with the manager, Barlaskar said she did not hear back from her. She said she then called back the McDonald's and was told by the manager that they had hired someone else.

Rachelson, the McDonald's official, said: "It is never our intention to offend anyone. ... We require all employees to comply with local, state and federal employment laws and continually strive to maintain a positive restaurant environment in which everyone feels valued and accepted."
source

Do you think McDonalds did not hire her because of her religion/ethnicity thinking it would scare people off if she were to work there? Would you consider such case a source of discrimination.... But yeah who knows they probably or not McDonald's the manager or who ever was in charge did not want to hire her because she was wearing traditional Muslim gear, thinking it would probably scare people off.... but regardless its a form of discrimination....
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5229|Cleveland, Ohio
ive yet to go to a mcdonalds where the people are A) mostly white or B) mostly speak english so.......
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
Yeah that's discrimination.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

blademaster wrote:

A Muslim woman from Troy filed a bias complaint today, saying she was denied a job at a McDonald's restaurant in Rochester Hills because of her religion and ethnicity.A McDonald's official said their restaurant chain does not discriminate and has accommodated religious headwear for years.
Nasihah Barlaskar, 19, wears an Islamic head scarf known as a hijab. She told the Free Press that during a job interview on March 27, a manager at McDonald's asked her about her nationality. The manager then asked "if I had to wear that thing on my head," according to Barlaskar.

Barlaskar said she replied: "I do. Is that a problem?"The manager then told Barlaskar she probably wouldn't be able to wear that if she was working, according to Barlaskar.

Barlaskar filed the complaint with the EEOC, Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, the U.S. agency that deals with job discrimination. It was filed with the help of Dawud Walid, head of the Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Joan Rachelson, director of operations for McDonald's Michigan region, said in a statement that the restaurant has a "strict policy prohibiting any form of discrimination."She said the allegations "are not consistent with our policies."

Barlaskar, who was born in the United States, said it wasn't proper for the manager to ask her about her nationality. Barlaskar's parents are immigrants from Bangladesh.Barlaksar said she filed the complaint because "I don't want other people to go through what I went through. ... If no one speaks up, this will continue to happen, this won't be the last time. We have to stand up."

In July 2008, two Muslim women, Toi Whitfield of Detroit and Quiana Pugh of Dearborn, complained after a manager at a McDonald's restaurant in Dearborn said they could not wear Islamic headscarves at work. Nabih Ayad, their attorney, filed suit and he said today that the case may go to trial in a couple of months.Barlaskar said she is a college student who was looking for a part-time job so she wouldn't have to rely on her parents for expenses like gas money. She said her father was recently laid off.

After the interview with the manager, Barlaskar said she did not hear back from her. She said she then called back the McDonald's and was told by the manager that they had hired someone else.

Rachelson, the McDonald's official, said: "It is never our intention to offend anyone. ... We require all employees to comply with local, state and federal employment laws and continually strive to maintain a positive restaurant environment in which everyone feels valued and accepted."
source

Do you think McDonalds did not hire her because of her religion/ethnicity thinking it would scare people off if she were to work there? Would you consider such case a source of discrimination.... But yeah who knows they probably or not McDonald's the manager or who ever was in charge did not want to hire her because she was wearing traditional Muslim gear, thinking it would probably scare people off.... but regardless its a form of discrimination....
not discrimination...I bet they would not hire a nun in a habit either.  EQUALLY.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6357|California
the taco bell i use to go to during high school would only have mexican women there working
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

the taco bell i use to go to during high school would only have mexican women there working
In other news, the 7-Eleven I frequent is owned by some Middle Eastern or Indian feller
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6687|NJ
Well it depends? I didn't see the Head gear she was wearing?

I looked it up, it seems like a bad sort of thing to be wearing while working with fires.

I'm not sure if I've seen anyone around wearing one at a fast food or cooking joint.

http://www.novascotiascott.com/wp-conte … -hijab.jpg
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6835|Reykjavík, Iceland.
So, if I claimed that my religion requires me to be naked at work, and I couldn't get a job because of that, I could sue?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Sydney wrote:

So, if I claimed that my religion requires me to be naked at work, and I couldn't get a job because of that, I could sue?
In enititled America, you bet your ass you could sue, and you would get plenty of backing from members of this forum.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637

lowing wrote:

Sydney wrote:

In enititled America, you bet your ass you could sue, and you would get plenty of backing from members of this forum.
yup in America anything goes..... people here were thinking about suing your Volcano for monetary damages but then they realized it was located in Iceland lol
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

and you would get plenty of backing from members of this forum.
lol
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

My brain is fucked up and I can't do math. I applied at an engineering firm and they didn't hire me because I can't do math. I can't help that! WTF! It's not my fault! I'm gonna have to give the EOEC a call.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6659

Only applies to what the EOEC states, like age, religion, race, sexual orientation.  Math challenged isn't on the list.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6751|San Antonio, Texas

Ilocano wrote:

Only applies to what the EOEC states, like age, religion, race, sexual orientation.  Math challenged isn't on the list.
THAT'S MATHIST!
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6659

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

THAT'S MATHIST!
So sue me.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6646

Ilocano wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

THAT'S MATHIST!
So sue me.
Well, uhh, my religion requires that I not learn math, and I my baptism of sorts removed the part of my brain that does math.

Really though, if her religion states that she must wear the headscarf thing, but for health/safety sake, they won't allow her to wear it, then that's kind of too bad. Time to turn the other cheek and look for a different job. Now, if she's getting rejected no matter where she applies because of her religion, then that's a problem that needs to be reported to the EOEC.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto

lowing wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Wrong.

The religion has to be recognized by the federal government and have a certain number of members. If it doesn't appear on the census, you don't get shit, and they're good at keeping down religions they know to be undesirable.

There were something like 250,000 writing "Jedi" in the 'other' category on those census', and for a while they seriously considered recognizing it. I can't remember why they don't, now, but I'm sure you can look it up with ease.

Otherwise, yeah, you're pretty much right.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Pochsy wrote:

lowing wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Wrong.

The religion has to be recognized by the federal government and have a certain number of members. If it doesn't appear on the census, you don't get shit, and they're good at keeping down religions they know to be undesirable.

There were something like 250,000 writing "Jedi" in the 'other' category on those census', and for a while they seriously considered recognizing it. I can't remember why they don't, now, but I'm sure you can look it up with ease.

I seem to remember a case where a guy sued Hooters for discrimination becasue they would not hire him as a fuckin' "waitress".

don't remember how that turn out, gotta look it up
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA
yup here it is

they settled, go figure...welcome to America, land of the moocher, home of the entitled, .

http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jan/13/ … ias-seeks/
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6460

lowing wrote:

they settled, go figure...welcome to America, land of the moocher, home of the entitled,
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Spoiler (highlight to read):
lel
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

lowing wrote:

they settled, go figure...welcome to America, land of the moocher, home of the entitled,
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Spoiler (highlight to read):
lel
hmmmmm wonder what would happen of the contributors all left America, and turned it over to the entitled and moocher class? Do ya really need to use much imagination?
BVC
+325|6687
Sounds like the manager can't have been adhering to company hiring policy.  I doubt she is a hardcore muslim anyhow -  she'd come into contact with pork on a regular basis, wouldn't be serving up halal food, and...well...shes a muslim woman who is allowed out of the house.
ruisleipa
+149|6214|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

hmmmmm wonder what would happen of the contributors all left America, and turned it over to the entitled and moocher class? Do ya really need to use much imagination?
go to alaska and separate from the union.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

ruisleipa wrote:

lowing wrote:

go to alaska and separate from the union.
that didn't address what I said.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5986|Truthistan

lowing wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

lowing wrote:

Wrong.

I seem to remember a case where a guy sued Hooters for discrimination becasue they would not hire him as a fuckin' "waitress".

don't remember how that turn out, gotta look it up
the orginal naked hypothetical is funny. But before you laugh at naked religion as being preposterous, look at this photo from 1914

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Dukhubours_in_Canada.jpg and yes they are naked... in the canadian winter

Anyway, you can't be naked in public, that's against the law. So while it might be apart of your religion, you wouldn't be able to  get around general criminal law that applies to everyone. So sorry no naked religion exception.

Anyway looks like McDonalds hung the manager out to dry on this one by saying its not their policy and that they didn't mean to offend. Sounds like an admission to me.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard