Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

Beduin wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Morally speaking, what is unbelievable is tying up a family and executing children in front of their parents.

Engaging someone who has a weapon looking at you from behind a corner in war.. not.so.much.
capiche?
here you go again. Always compare the forces with insurgents. eleven bravo said it, war sucks. Nothing to see here, move along!
this attitude has led us to where we are at now, and it is not a good place to be.
lol.. yea well there you go again. Why are you repeating what eleven bravo said to me? Can you not tell the difference between he and I? I'm just trying to explain what I find "unbelievable" and believable.

Maybe the attitude of wars must not be bloody has led us to where we are at now. For a war to end wills must be broken. Yes, sometimes it is bloody. There are no perfect situations, unfortunately. Have you ever considered that?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6663|London, England

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Despite any contradiction that involves.
What a supremely ridiculous sentence.
Not really. You can't have it one way or another. You can't say it's all ok for civilians to die as a matter of reality but it's not ok for soldiers to be punished. You can however accept that both are technically a reality of the situation. That's what I'm saying.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-04-05 15:11:01)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5400|London, England

Mekstizzle wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I practically directly responded to your post. How you can say "The 1% will always, always be magnified. Civilians will always, always die. Why can't people accept it, both ways." and then say the soldiers should be court-martialed out the other side of your mouth I don't even understand. They did everything right.
I said people should accept that soldiers should or could be in a court martial in the same way they accept that civilians die in wars. Despite any contradiction that involves. Because it's the reality of this war, as people in this topic bring up.
But they didn't break any rules or laws. There's nothing to charge them on. Results don't matter, it's the process leading up to it that requires obedience to the law.

If I see a man with an AK walking down the street, turn my back, hear rounds crack past my head, turn and shoot him I'm well within my rights even if he is innocent because I have probably cause. He could be the Prime Minister of Iraq and I would not be charged.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-04-05 15:12:27)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
ruisleipa
+149|6265|teh FIN-land
Surely part of the issue is that these guys were shooting from a helicopter how many hundreds of metres up in the sky. They were in NO mortal immediate danger even from an RPG - I mean the pilots are trained in evasive manouevres right? Pretty damn hard hitting a chopper with an RPG from half a mile away or whatever. Never mind an AK. It's not the same as if you're a soldier on foot.

It's very easy to say 'oh civilians will always die in war'...when you or your loved ones aren't those civilians.

And, sorry, I have more sympathy for the civilians than the military. Like it or not, you join the military you KNOW there is a chance you will get killed. Yes a death is always tragic for those involved, but knowingly putting yourself in a position where you might die is very different from not knowingly doing so, and then getting killed.

I'm sure that EVERYONE here can agree that covering up was the wrong thing to do, can't they?
mikkel
+383|6644
This is why Iraq is turning into a second Vietnam. There's so much contempt for any human life other than American in that video. You don't belong at the front lines when your response to a body being crushed under the tracks of an armoured vehicle is to laugh. Doesn't matter if it's because you're a bad person, or because you're mentally fatigued; it's unprofessional and reprehensible. To add insult to, well, insult, this happened during the height of the 'hearts and minds' initiative. Way to go in that regard.

eleven bravo wrote:

youre right! asking for permission to fire shows complete lack of hesitation!
That's a bit weak. They had to ask for permission, it wasn't at their discretion. They didn't seem like they were hesitant at all, and they didn't seem like they wanted to have to ask for permission. The gunner sounds about as eager as a 12 year old who really, really wants to try out his new quad bike. That might be an acceptable response when you're taking fire or about to take fire, but not when you're trying to work out whether or not you can kill a couple of guys trying tending to the wounded. Hell, the pilots were reporting speculated intent before the truck had even come to a stop, seemingly forgetting that this whole thing is taking place in an urban, civilian area. The people in the truck could have just been good samaritans who happened to come across a guy lying injured on the side of the road. Judging by the fact that they had children with them, it seems entirely likely that they weren't some sort of insurgent ambulance.

This is the sort of stuff that happens in urban areas when all a soldier sees is red. It's inexusible when it happens with this kind of absence of scurity in determining valid targets.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6759

ruisleipa wrote:

Surely part of the issue is that these guys were shooting from a helicopter how many hundreds of metres up in the sky. They were in NO mortal immediate danger even from an RPG - I mean the pilots are trained in evasive manouevres right? Pretty damn hard hitting a chopper with an RPG from half a mile away or whatever. Never mind an AK. It's not the same as if you're a soldier on foot.
They kill guys first so when troops on the ground get there THEY wouldn't be in much danger.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ruisleipa wrote:

It's very easy to say 'oh civilians will always die in war'...when you or your loved ones aren't those civilians.

And, sorry, I have more sympathy for the civilians than the military. Like it or not, you join the military you KNOW there is a chance you will get killed. Yes a death is always tragic for those involved, but knowingly putting yourself in a position where you might die is very different from not knowingly doing so, and then getting killed.

I'm sure that EVERYONE here can agree that covering up was the wrong thing to do, can't they?
Yes, we should only send in ground troops, have our ground troops walk up to them and ask them to identify themselves as friend or foe, and THEN engage them if they say they are enemy combatants. To make it more fair we'll limit it to pistol duels as well.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6694|USA

ruisleipa wrote:

lowing wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

Thats just horrible. How the fuck they can open fire on people without a single hesitation?
Am I the only one noticing all of the outraged armchair quarterbacking over this? Yet, not a single thread expressing outrage over the embassy bombings in Pakistan and Baghdad.

In this video (in real time, not analyzed time after the fact) these guys clearly thought they were engaging insurgents with weapons.
Start a thread on those bombings and I'll happily be outraged over them too.

eleven bravo wrote:

war sucks.  you and the bunch of monkey sheeple like you who decide to choose what to be outraged over and ignore other things just as relevent, just as bad, need to do the world a favor and stick your heads in an oven.
not ignoring them, but this thread is about helicopter pilots shooting a bunch of civvies and journos.
looking for the day I see you outraged over a dead American.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6759

JohnG@lt wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Yes, we should only send in ground troops, have our ground troops walk up to them and ask them to identify themselves as friend or foe, and THEN engage them if they say they are enemy combatants. To make it more fair we'll limit it to pistol duels as well.
Stop stat padding.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6749|67.222.138.85

Mekstizzle wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Despite any contradiction that involves.
Not really. You can't have it one way or another. You can't say it's all ok for civilians to die as a matter of reality but it's not ok for soldiers to be punished. You can however accept that both are technically a reality of the situation. That's what I'm saying.
First of all, yeah the sentence is absurd, I can't believe you said that.

If you punish soldiers for killing civilians when they are trying to kill the enemy you will lose absolutely all discipline and morale. Your suggestions are akin to trying to train a mouse to run through a maze, but half the time you zap him before he gets the cheese. Exact same behavior, different result.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6265|Escea

ruisleipa wrote:

Like those two journalists then? They put themselves in harms way. They chose to. As did those carrying AK's.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6580|Long Island, New York

eleven bravo wrote:

this outrage is funny coming from someone who denies the armenian genocide
I hate to go all ad hominem on this topic, but GS is right. It's ironic and hypocritical for someone that denies something like that to be "outraged" at an incident which, as sad it was, was nobody's fault. Certainly not the pilots that's for sure.

Last edited by Poseidon (2010-04-05 15:20:54)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

"The U.S. Central Command declined to offer immediate comment on the video's release, or to confirm its authenticity, but said it would be issuing a statement. "

Hey I can run up the road and ask them if you guys want.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6809|UK

Ilocano wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

So, there was an RPG?  How many AK-47's again?
So you are really trying to claim that guy holding that black object aimed at the chopper round a corner didn't look like an AT? Because it certainly did to me, sitting comfortably in my room not under any kind of threat. So now consider that your sitting in a piece of metal in the sky, you have been shot at dozens of times over your tour, you have seconds to decide if it is a AT or you might die....

The exact number of AKs is irrelevant, as you well know. Stop playing stupid. I saw what could have been 5 AKs when i watched it, which I believe is how many the pilot said.

The pilots did not lie to their command.
Yeah, because an RPG at that range could take out an Apache.

I admit, that stance was stupid, but it is actually a very common photographic stance.  I don't know about you, but I point my lens up when I'm in a crouched position between taking shots.
Whether or not it was a threat, the pilots had justification in thinking it was an AT, you claimed the pilots lied to their command which I just demonstrated they didn't. You are trying to claim the pilots lied, which is a blatant load of rubbish, the top of the US command made the cover up.

The pilots did nothing wrong.
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

If you punish soldiers for killing civilians when they are trying to kill the enemy you will lose absolutely all discipline and morale. Your suggestions are akin to trying to train a mouse to run through a maze, but half the time you zap him before he gets the cheese. Exact same behavior, different result.
I'm not saying punish soldiers for killing civilians. I'm saying that accept it that from time to time soldiers will be condemned/punished for their actions in the same way that you can accept that civilians getting killed are a part of war.

ROE or not, these guys ended up killing loads of civilians. I'm not surprised that people are hating on them, and I'm not surprised that this mass killing happened in the first place, because I just accept it as a reality of this damn war. Like I said, I'm more upset that these people (civilians, pilots and such) are put in such situations in the first place. Then again, you could just boil that bit down to the reality of human existence.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6643|132 and Bush

I'd say Journalists should have clearly identifiable vest on, especially when working in highly contested neighborhoods (like the one in the video) .. but suicide bombers would just take them and wear them on their next mission.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6710

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I practically directly responded to your post. How you can say "The 1% will always, always be magnified. Civilians will always, always die. Why can't people accept it, both ways." and then say the soldiers should be court-martialed out the other side of your mouth I don't even understand. They did everything right.
I said people should accept that soldiers should or could be in a court martial in the same way they accept that civilians die in wars. Despite any contradiction that involves. Because it's the reality of this war, as people in this topic bring up.
But they didn't break any rules or laws. There's nothing to charge them on. Results don't matter, it's the process leading up to it that requires obedience to the law.

If I see a man with an AK walking down the street, turn my back, hear rounds crack past my head, turn and shoot him I'm well within my rights even if he is innocent because I have probably cause. He could be the Prime Minister of Iraq and I would not be charged.
And after the bullets went through his body and into the skull of a small child in the same trajectory, that was also within your rights?  So, a cop is justified to shoot a criminal actively shooting at him who is in front of a classroom full of kids?

Question regarding RoE.  Command is authorized to ok the engagement of verified hard targets trying to take wounded away, while not under fire?  Is that in the RoE manual?  Just looking for clarification.
ruisleipa
+149|6265|teh FIN-land

Cybargs wrote:

They kill guys first so when troops on the ground get there THEY wouldn't be in much danger.
yeah right, but part of the issue is here is that they DIDN'T kill insurgents, they killed civvies.

JohnG@lt wrote:

Why?

lowing wrote:

looking for the day I see you outraged over a dead American.
Well I was outraged at 9/11, does that count?

M.O.A.B wrote:

Like those two journalists then? They put themselves in harms way. They chose to. As did those carrying AK's.
yeah but the civvies and children didn't.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Mekstizzle wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

I'm not saying punish soldiers for killing civilians. I'm saying that accept it that from time to time soldiers will be condemned/punished for their actions in the same way that you can accept that civilians getting killed are a part of war.

ROE or not, these guys ended up killing loads of civilians. I'm not surprised that people are hating on them, and I'm not surprised that this mass killing happened in the first place, because I just accept it as a reality of this damn war. Like I said, I'm more upset that these people (civilians, pilots and such) are put in such situations in the first place. Then again, you could just boil that bit down to the reality of human existence.
If you had watched the video without reading the introduction or the inclusion of names you would've said 'Wow, good job on the part of our soldiers'. The fact that you knew beforehand that they were civilians and not armed insurgents is coloring your views on this. I skipped most of the intro because, frankly, I don't care, and I didn't see a single thing that the pilots did wrong.

Edit - but, unlike 80%+ of the responders in this thread, I actually know the ROE and still own my ROE card from my deployment.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-04-05 15:27:42)

-Frederick Bastiat
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6757|US

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

And after the bullets went through his body and into the skull of a small child in the same trajectory, that was also within your rights?  So, a cop is justified to shoot a criminal actively shooting at him who is in front of a classroom full of kids?

Question regarding RoE.  Command is authorized to ok the engagement of verified hard targets trying to take wounded away, while not under fire?  Is that in the RoE manual?  Just looking for clarification.
Well, in most cases around here, if someone fires on a criminal, but hits an innocent person, it is the criminal who recieves the punishment for causing the situation.  (Civil court lawsuits will vary)
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RAIMIUS wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Well, in most cases around here, if someone fires on a criminal, but hits an innocent person, it is the criminal who recieves the punishment for causing the situation.  (Civil court lawsuits will vary)
As it should be.
-Frederick Bastiat
ruisleipa
+149|6265|teh FIN-land

Ilocano wrote:

Except they weren't confirmed 'hard targets'.

The lead helicopter, using the moniker Crazyhorse, opens fire. "Hahaha. I hit 'em," shouts one of the American crew. Another responds a little later: "Oh yeah, look at those dead bastards."

One of the men on the ground, believed to be Chmagh, is seen wounded and trying to crawl to safety. One of the helicopter crew is heard wishing for the man to reach for a gun, even though there is none visible nearby, so he has the pretext for opening fire: "All you gotta do is pick up a weapon." A van draws up next to the wounded man and Iraqis climb out. They are unarmed and start to carry the victim to the vehicle in what would appear to be an attempt to get him to hospital. One of the helicopters opens fire with armour-piercing shells. "Look at that. Right through the windshield," says one of the crew. Another responds with a laugh.
This is professional soldiering these days?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

ruisleipa wrote:

The lead helicopter, using the moniker Crazyhorse, opens fire. "Hahaha. I hit 'em," shouts one of the American crew. Another responds a little later: "Oh yeah, look at those dead bastards."

One of the men on the ground, believed to be Chmagh, is seen wounded and trying to crawl to safety. One of the helicopter crew is heard wishing for the man to reach for a gun, even though there is none visible nearby, so he has the pretext for opening fire: "All you gotta do is pick up a weapon." A van draws up next to the wounded man and Iraqis climb out. They are unarmed and start to carry the victim to the vehicle in what would appear to be an attempt to get him to hospital. One of the helicopters opens fire with armour-piercing shells. "Look at that. Right through the windshield," says one of the crew. Another responds with a laugh.
This is professional soldiering these days?
Considering it was internal comms within the helicopter that were never supposed to be leaked to the media or anyone else, I'd say yes. Did the pilot walk up to the wounded Iraqi and say "hahahaha you asshole, I shot you good"? No. Do soldiers joke among themselves and say stuff like 'Good shot' or "Nice shooting" etc? Yes, of course and there's nothing in the world wrong with it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6710

Vilham wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Vilham wrote:

So you are really trying to claim that guy holding that black object aimed at the chopper round a corner didn't look like an AT? Because it certainly did to me, sitting comfortably in my room not under any kind of threat. So now consider that your sitting in a piece of metal in the sky, you have been shot at dozens of times over your tour, you have seconds to decide if it is a AT or you might die....

The exact number of AKs is irrelevant, as you well know. Stop playing stupid. I saw what could have been 5 AKs when i watched it, which I believe is how many the pilot said.

The pilots did not lie to their command.
Yeah, because an RPG at that range could take out an Apache.

I admit, that stance was stupid, but it is actually a very common photographic stance.  I don't know about you, but I point my lens up when I'm in a crouched position between taking shots.
Whether or not it was a threat, the pilots had justification in thinking it was an AT, you claimed the pilots lied to their command which I just demonstrated they didn't. You are trying to claim the pilots lied, which is a blatant load of rubbish, the top of the US command made the cover up.

The pilots did nothing wrong.
Lied or not, they made the wrong call.  That I can accept.  But add the pilots comments about "waiting for him to pull out a weapon", and well, you can't deny that he was predisposed to make kills.  As for the cover up, what is your take?
Mekstizzle
WALKER

JohnG@lt wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

If you had watched the video without reading the introduction or the inclusion of names you would've said 'Wow, good job on the part of our soldiers'. The fact that you knew beforehand that they were civilians and not armed insurgents is coloring your views on this. I skipped most of the intro because, frankly, I don't care, and I didn't see a single thing that the pilots did wrong.

Edit - but, unlike 80%+ of the responders in this thread, I actually know the ROE and still own my ROE card from my deployment.
Well actually, that depends on how I came across the video, what the video title was and some other things. For me to truly be independent I would have to be told before watching that video to make my own mind up in the most unbiased way possible (impossible). I wouldn't be told it was a civilian shootup nor would I be told it was insurgents getting nabbed. The video is from the pilots side of the story so naturally I would probably be swayed by their conversations into believing they were killing some bad guys. The fact that you would assume that they were simply doing the right thing and killing bad guys and that everyone else would think the same is colouring your views on this.

The fact is (or is it?) they ended up killing alot of civilians and that's just, simply, quite bad indeed. Quite bad for the war and for them and for everyone. But a reality of it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard