Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5376|London, England

mikkel wrote:

This is why I prefer not to participate in these threads on this forum. I can't write a post without having three other posts directed at me in the interim, asserting asinine extrapolations that extend beyond anything I've ever suggested. This trench warfare mentality of assigning the same set of opinions and ideals to anyone in disagreement, and then hyperinflating them to make ones target easier is ridiculous. I'm sorry, guys, but if there's one thing I refuse to do, it's spending the majority of my replies sifting the assumptions and the inaccurately attributed opinions from the actual substance.

I'm not an idiot because I disagree with you. Nor are you idiots because you disagree with me. I do not need to be told the obvious realities of a situation unless I postulate anything that contradicts them.

I'm open to an exchange of ideas. I'm not open to being stoned indiscriminately for having a difference of opinion.
You're being called an idiot and being piled on because you haven't offered anything but 'this is wrong'. When asked how it should be changed and how soldiers should act in the future you have no answer and avoid the question entirely. You have no solutions, all you have is whining. Goodbye and good riddance.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-04-05 20:23:49)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
specops10-4
+108|6761|In the hills

JohnG@lt wrote:

And a few hundred of us were cheering on the deaths of the people on the screen. Does that make us all psychopaths too?
No, just the tone of his voice and some of the shit he said.  Laughing about running over a dead body and laughing about all the dead bodies on the ground is pretty sick.  I don't quite know how to put it but there's a big difference.
Chou
+737|6809

specops10-4 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

And a few hundred of us were cheering on the deaths of the people on the screen. Does that make us all psychopaths too?
No, just the tone of his voice and some of the shit he said.  Laughing about running over a dead body and laughing about all the dead bodies on the ground is pretty sick.  I don't quite know how to put it but there's a big difference.
That's just the best way to deal with this shit.
mikkel
+383|6619

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I don't understand how mikkel keeps dodging the question like what's being presented to him doesn't apply.
You're welcome to document any questions that I'm supposedly dodging.

eleven bravo wrote:

without shooting first and asking questions later in the middle of a city with more than six million people in it, just don't do it at all.

eleven bravo wrote:

really not how it works in real life.  as long as there is some kind of restraint on the use of force, what has been done here clearly falls under jus in bello

eleven bravo wrote:

replying to the "avoid conflict in a city with 6 million inhabitants" nonsense.

eleven bravo wrote:

I believe I did.  If you are able to master a new form of urban combat that deals with a non uniformed enemy who typically blends in with non combatants while simultaneously maintaining the combat effectiveness of the limited amount of troops at your disposal, then by all means please, I'd love to hear it.  honest injun.  if you cant think of anything practical and just go with the whole immorality of violent use of force against targets when the difficulty of establishing friend or foe is obvious, then I dont really have much to say to you.
These all directly address:

mikkel wrote:

I think what he's saying is that if you can't do it without shooting first and asking questions later in the middle of a city with more than six million people in it, just don't do it at all.
Not as far as I can tell. I didn't say anything about the difficulties of waging war in a city. I didn't argue, not do I care whether or not this kind of action falls under the rules of engagement, or whether or not it is permitted in war. All I said was that if you can't fight a war in a city without this kind of action being sanctioned and perfectly acceptable, then I don't think you should be doing it. I realise that he disagrees with me, but he didn't address anything I said.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

War necessitates command decisions.
Yes. Show me where I said anything contrary to this.

mikkel wrote:

What I said was that if you can't do it without shooting first and asking questions later, then don't do it at all.
These instances of "shooting first ask questions later" are clearly command decisions. You can't ask the insurgents to kindly hold up all of their weapons that could be a threat to American personnel so that they may be engaged.
Disagreeing with a specific type of warfare that leads to a specific 'command decision' in a specific situation is not at all the same as arguing that war in general doesn't necessitate 'command decisions'. Or do you disagree?

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

By your definition of "shoot first, ask questions later" (seeing as calling out a group of people dressed like insurgents and armed like insurgents, waiting over two minutes for the green light and then firing apparently counts as shooting first) war is impossible.
What counts as shooting first is seeing a civilian truck stopping in the middle of a busy city, men coming out of it to tend to an injured man on the side of the street, and then opening fire. Asking for permission to fire from someone who only knows what you're telling him does not constitute 'asking questions'.
Why not? The press should be informing the Army as to their whereabouts. The handlers of the Apache explicitly stated no friendlies were in the area before the Apache opened fire. Command was given accurate information as to the weapons the people were carrying, and as far as the U.S. armed forces knew there were no allies in the area. They could have had a video feed and the exact same decision would have been made. It's not like the pilots lied about anything.
I would agree with you entirely if we were talking about war waged on a battlefield where civilian encounters would be the exception, not the norm. I just can't really agree that merely establishing that no friendlies are in the area constitutes due diligence on establishing legitimate targets in a city where the civilian population outnumbers the number of combatants on both sides of the conflict by more than a thousand percent. Call me a hippie, call me an idealist, but it's just not something I see as being reasonable.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom

eleven bravo wrote:

because that mentality only exists on the internet where the actions that the real world requires seem to escape even the most intelligent it seems. 

but if we want to address what actually occurs instead of the "dont shoot unless youre 100% sure" angle you seem to be arguing for, the insurgency in iraq by the very nature of their use of tactis, for the most part, decides the terrain and area of a battle field.  keeping that in mind, if a military were to avoid conflict whenever the threat to civilians exists, that military would find itself at the mercy of the small and relatively low tech guerrila force.  what you are arguing it seems to me, is a scenario where combat would only be permitted in some kind of agreed upon place where two opposing armies face each.   because, thats pretty much the only other option youre leaving.   those days are long gone.   70% of the world population lives in urban areas which means the majority of modern warfare from here on out will be fought in places where the possibility of harm to non combatants is high.
Tu Stultus Es
mikkel
+383|6619

JohnG@lt wrote:

mikkel wrote:

This is why I prefer not to participate in these threads on this forum. I can't write a post without having three other posts directed at me in the interim, asserting asinine extrapolations that extend beyond anything I've ever suggested. This trench warfare mentality of assigning the same set of opinions and ideals to anyone in disagreement, and then hyperinflating them to make ones target easier is ridiculous. I'm sorry, guys, but if there's one thing I refuse to do, it's spending the majority of my replies sifting the assumptions and the inaccurately attributed opinions from the actual substance.

I'm not an idiot because I disagree with you. Nor are you idiots because you disagree with me. I do not need to be told the obvious realities of a situation unless I postulate anything that contradicts them.

I'm open to an exchange of ideas. I'm not open to being stoned indiscriminately for having a difference of opinion.
You're being called an idiot and being piled on because you haven't offered anything but 'this is wrong'. When asked how it should be changed and how soldiers should act in the future you have no answer and avoid the question entirely. You have no solutions, all you have is whining. Goodbye and good riddance.
The way I see it, I unambiguously presented how I thought it should be changed before I was even asked. I'm not avoiding any questions, I'm merely refusing to answer questions to which I haven't at any point suggested that I have an answer to. I'm not a military strategist, but that isn't a prerequisite for knowing what I agree with, and what I don't agree with. You say all I have is whining, but all I've presented is my opinion.
mikkel
+383|6619

eleven bravo wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

because that mentality only exists on the internet where the actions that the real world requires seem to escape even the most intelligent it seems. 

but if we want to address what actually occurs instead of the "dont shoot unless youre 100% sure" angle you seem to be arguing for, the insurgency in iraq by the very nature of their use of tactis, for the most part, decides the terrain and area of a battle field.  keeping that in mind, if a military were to avoid conflict whenever the threat to civilians exists, that military would find itself at the mercy of the small and relatively low tech guerrila force.  what you are arguing it seems to me, is a scenario where combat would only be permitted in some kind of agreed upon place where two opposing armies face each.   because, thats pretty much the only other option youre leaving.   those days are long gone.   70% of the world population lives in urban areas which means the majority of modern warfare from here on out will be fought in places where the possibility of harm to non combatants is high.
If you really want to continue to quote this, then I'd like you to dissect it yourself, do away with any assumptions regarding my opinion or mentality that you cannot document as being reasonable, and then show me where it is that you disagree with me. I won't end up in a three page back-and-forth with you if the basis you take in your disagreement is formed on an assumption regarding my opinion that isn't true. Let's establish where we disagree first.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
you believe that if 100% certainty isnt established on the status of a potential target, you must avoid conflict.  correct?  I disagree.
Tu Stultus Es
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6786

eleven bravo wrote:

BN wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

That would require getting closer, no? And who knows, what if they were hiding weapons....
So the default action is to kill them?
yes.  unless you figure out a new way to master urban combat in the 21st century.
Default action is to kill? Most people would feel different if Iraq were liberating USA and they killed civilians.

That's not my job to figure it out how to master urban combat.

As this was a liberation and not a "war" this should have been thought of prior to going in to Iraq.

Default killing is just wrong.

Last edited by BN (2010-04-05 20:45:34)

tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6193|Sydney | ♥

JohnG@lt wrote:

tazz. wrote:

well i feel sick.

no remorse.

The only thing that really ticked me, was "haha, Look at all those dead bodies" --"Nice."

Scum like that should be removed from the planet. From all nations.
And yet you play video games that highlight and glorify the same behavior. Kudos.
I'm killing pixels, not lives.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom

BN wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

BN wrote:

So the default action is to kill them?
yes.  unless you figure out a new way to master urban combat in the 21st century.
Default action is to kill? It would be different if Iraq were liberating USA and they killed civilians.

That's not my job to figure it out how to master urban combat.

As this was a liberation and not a "war" this should have been thought of prior to going in to Iraq.

Default killing is just wrong.
ok.  I agree, we shouldnt have invaded.  Iraq posed absolutely no threat and the bush administration knowingly misled the public in order to justify an invasion.  now that we've got that out of the way and we could both say we stand on the same position on that subject, could you please suggest a different way a military should be able win?  because the fact is we are there, now, engaging an enemy in a fluid combat environment. 

Its not your job, correct.  Its not my job either.  But you cant say this is wrong wrong wrong wrong without at least giving me something practical to think about.  Please, considering we are there and thats not going to change any time soon, what should be done instead?

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-04-05 20:47:13)

Tu Stultus Es
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6537|Montucky
Also this is a prime example of the media needs to stay the fuck out of a war zone.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
or are you arguing the lives of coalitions forces are less important than the decisions insurgents make by intermingling their operations within a populated area?
Tu Stultus Es
specops10-4
+108|6761|In the hills

Chou wrote:

specops10-4 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

That's just the best way to deal with this shit.
No point really arguing this, I just don't understand how driving over a dead body is funny.  That type of mentality only discredits the very important decisions the pilots are making.  If part of their job is to tell the difference between civilian and combatant and they see it as a fun game, they are going to be looking for reasons to shoot them, instead of reasons not to shoot them. 

I'm not going to say the pilots did anything wrong, they didn't know their conversations were going to be heard by the world.
mikkel
+383|6619

eleven bravo wrote:

you believe that if 100% certainty isnt established on the status of a potential target, you must avoid conflict.  correct?  I disagree.
That is not at all what I've been saying, no. I believe that if you're fighting in a very densely populated urban area, due diligence in establishing legitimate targets should extend beyond what is displayed towards the end of this video. I'd assume that it's very uncommon to be 100% certain about anything when you're fighting around non-combatants, but the people involved seem to find justification in firing on people in civilian clothing tending to injured people on the street. If I lived in an area with car bombs going off every other day, and came across an injured man amongst a bunch of corpses, I'd like to think that I would do the same. It's true that it's possible that the people in the truck were in collusion with the people that possibly were hostile, but it just seems too tenuous an assumption in an area where you'll likely run into more than a hundred civilians for every combattant dressed as a civilian.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5277|foggy bottom
well in a densely populated area such as baghdad, the population usually knows to get out of dodge if explosions or gunfire is heard.  its assumed anybody near the area where fire is coming from or the mingling of individuals with weapons amongst people without are combatants or support elements (like a minivan ferryin troops from one end of the road to another)

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-04-05 20:58:39)

Tu Stultus Es
Chou
+737|6809
Well, their conversation shouldn't be heard by the world in the first place cause it ain't our fucking business.

These guys seen it all by now and you can't expect them to go tissue sniffing over the shit they see down below, if they did that, they better jump out and start a grocery store.

Laughing about it is survival, if you don't make jokes, it'll get to you.

Anyway man that crew got served big time, sneaking around buildings like troopers, it could have been insurgents cutting their heads off for doing that shit. It's a warzone and we all know the risk, people died in that shithole for less.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6725|67.222.138.85

mikkel wrote:

Not as far as I can tell. I didn't say anything about the difficulties of waging war in a city. I didn't argue, not do I care whether or not this kind of action falls under the rules of engagement, or whether or not it is permitted in war. All I said was that if you can't fight a war in a city without this kind of action being sanctioned and perfectly acceptable, then I don't think you should be doing it. I realise that he disagrees with me, but he didn't address anything I said.
You ask for the impossible. Any kind of urban warfare you find unacceptable, but that is what constitutes warfare in the present day. Now if you want to say that we shouldn't have wars at all, that would be hilarious.

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

What I said was that if you can't do it without shooting first and asking questions later, then don't do it at all.
These instances of "shooting first ask questions later" are clearly command decisions. You can't ask the insurgents to kindly hold up all of their weapons that could be a threat to American personnel so that they may be engaged.
Disagreeing with a specific type of warfare that leads to a specific 'command decision' in a specific situation is not at all the same as arguing that war in general doesn't necessitate 'command decisions'. Or do you disagree?
Yes, it is the same thing. Command decisions are by definition the best judgment of the most senior person able to make and carry out a decision. You can't say you see the necessity of command decision in all but some cases, because command decision is defined by the possibly imperfect decision in all cases. It would be a command decision to decide what is to be decided on the field and what is not to be - nonsense.

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

What counts as shooting first is seeing a civilian truck stopping in the middle of a busy city, men coming out of it to tend to an injured man on the side of the street, and then opening fire. Asking for permission to fire from someone who only knows what you're telling him does not constitute 'asking questions'.
Why not? The press should be informing the Army as to their whereabouts. The handlers of the Apache explicitly stated no friendlies were in the area before the Apache opened fire. Command was given accurate information as to the weapons the people were carrying, and as far as the U.S. armed forces knew there were no allies in the area. They could have had a video feed and the exact same decision would have been made. It's not like the pilots lied about anything.
I would agree with you entirely if we were talking about war waged on a battlefield where civilian encounters would be the exception, not the norm. I just can't really agree that merely establishing that no friendlies are in the area constitutes due diligence on establishing legitimate targets in a city where the civilian population outnumbers the number of combatants on both sides of the conflict by more than a thousand percent. Call me a hippie, call me an idealist, but it's just not something I see as being reasonable.
Hanging around people with weapons that mean to do harm to the big boys on the block is hazardous to your health. I find the assumption that people with weapons or people in the immediate vicinity of people with weapons during a war intend to use them a very easy one to make.
mikkel
+383|6619

eleven bravo wrote:

well in a densely populated area such as baghdad, the population usually knows to get out of dodge if explosions of gunfire is heard.  its assumed anybody near the area where fire is coming from or the mingling of individuals with weapons amongst people without are combatants or support elements (like a minivan ferryin troops from one end of the road to another)
A lot of the coverage of these market bombings seem to show that it isn't unusual for people to stick around, but yes, it's probably different if you hear a helicopter opening up. It seems that these people came across the injured man a good while after the party had been crashed, though. A lot of speculation here that I'm not too fond of getting into, but all the possibilities just don't for me add up to a justification for opening fire. I'm all for better safe than sorry, but I feel that those considerations should extend to the safety of both American soldiers and Iraqi civilians, and that the chance of ending the lives of three or four insurgents shouldn't outweigh the very real chance that you're actually ending the lives of a couple of civilians and an injured bad guy.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6725|67.222.138.85

mikkel wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

well in a densely populated area such as baghdad, the population usually knows to get out of dodge if explosions of gunfire is heard.  its assumed anybody near the area where fire is coming from or the mingling of individuals with weapons amongst people without are combatants or support elements (like a minivan ferryin troops from one end of the road to another)
A lot of the coverage of these market bombings seem to show that it isn't unusual for people to stick around, but yes, it's probably different if you hear a helicopter opening up. It seems that these people came across the injured man a good while after the party had been crashed, though. A lot of speculation here that I'm not too fond of getting into, but all the possibilities just don't for me add up to a justification for opening fire. I'm all for better safe than sorry, but I feel that those considerations should extend to the safety of both American soldiers and Iraqi civilians, and that the chance of ending the lives of three or four insurgents shouldn't outweigh the very real chance that you're actually ending the lives of a couple of civilians and an injured bad guy.
Even by your logic it's not a direct 1:1. Not only does it mean how many Americans these people might have killed in this instance, it includes all the other instances where your absurd idea of caution would mean holding fire when the only casualties were of the enemy.
mikkel
+383|6619

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

You ask for the impossible. Any kind of urban warfare you find unacceptable, but that is what constitutes warfare in the present day. Now if you want to say that we shouldn't have wars at all, that would be hilarious.
Where do you get this from? I haven't at all said that I find any kind of urban warfare unacceptable.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yes, it is the same thing. Command decisions are by definition the best judgment of the most senior person able to make and carry out a decision. You can't say you see the necessity of command decision in all but some cases, because command decision is defined by the possibly imperfect decision in all cases. It would be a command decision to decide what is to be decided on the field and what is not to be - nonsense.
But I haven't said that I see the necessity of command decisions in all but some cases. I said that I don't agree with the kind of warfare that permits and justifies this 'command decision' that you're referring to.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Hanging around people with weapons that mean to do harm to the big boys on the block is hazardous to your health. I find the assumption that people with weapons or people in the immediate vicinity of people with weapons during a war intend to use them a very easy one to make.
Well, these people came across the place in a truck after the shots had been fired. That doesn't to me constitute hanging around people with weapons. It doesn't suggest to me that they knew that the people had weapons. It just suggests to me that they stopped and tried to help an injured man. It's easy to postulate and assume the worst, but what I'm saying is that when it's equally easy, or easier to postulate and assume the good, one should exercise constraint. The chance of three dead insurgents isn't worth a very likely chance of three dead civilians to me. Certainly not in the situation displayed.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-04-05 21:14:43)

mikkel
+383|6619

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

mikkel wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Even by your logic it's not a direct 1:1. Not only does it mean how many Americans these people might have killed in this instance, it includes all the other instances where your absurd idea of caution would mean holding fire when the only casualties were of the enemy.
That would be the obvious truth, yes. You can think it an absurd idea of caution to abstain from shooting in an urban and populated area without credible and overwhelming reason to believe that the people you're aiming at aren't civilian. I don't. That's fine.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-04-05 21:18:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX

Kmarion wrote:

Employing the military to fight against an abstract idea is fucking dumb.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5376|London, England
Simple questions for you mikkel. Who is at fault for the civilian deaths caused in Iraq? Is it the American troops for not being diligent enough or is it the insurgents fault for not obeying the rules of war and fighting with uniforms on that designate them as combatants? Is it America's fault that the insurgents hide among the civilian populace and make themselves indistinguishable from it? Who is ultimately at fault when civilians are mistaken for combatants?

A rational person would lay the blame at the feet of the insurgents.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
mikkel
+383|6619

JohnG@lt wrote:

Simple questions for you mikkel. Who is at fault for the civilian deaths caused in Iraq? Is it the American troops for not being diligent enough or is it the insurgents fault for not obeying the rules of war and fighting with uniforms on that designate them as combatants? Is it America's fault that the insurgents hide among the civilian populace and make themselves indistinguishable from it? Who is ultimately at fault when civilians are mistaken for combatants?

A rational person would lay the blame at the feet of the insurgents.
A rational person wouldn't lay the blame squarely on one party. Nor would a rational person merely assign the American forces a carte blanche as a result of the actions of the insurgents. The challenge of fighting an insurgency is tough. The American government and military leadership took on the tough challenge, though, and took a risk on behalf of the civilian Iraqi population. I don't believe that you can simply dismiss the responsibility of the U.S. to make sure that they do their best to respect the responsibility they have to the Iraqi people in taking that risk, and I don't believe that they did their best in this situation.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard