Poll

Mac, PC, or Linux? Favorite operating system!

Mac6%6% - 3
Pc84%84% - 42
Linux10%10% - 5
Unix or Minix0%0% - 0
Other0%0% - 0
Total: 50
pace51
Boom?
+194|5181|Markham, Ontario
I'm very curious. I've always wanted to know the answer to this. And if you want, post what you use it for, too.
I prefer PC's, because I'm used to them, and they're pretty customizable. I use mine for gaming, and work. Yes, I am average Whoops, PC should be windows.

Last edited by pace51 (2010-03-26 05:47:53)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5796|Catherine Black
Would be Linux if it supported games better. Therefore, Windows. (PC isn't an OS).
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6851|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Linux fo sho.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6138|Carnoustie MASSIF
I do like Mac OS, but I'm more accustomed to Windows.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6575|NYC / Hamburg

Sydney wrote:

Linux fo sho.
This

Although Linux is technically not an OS.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6666|BC, Canada
Same as Finny, If linux supported games, I would set aside the time to learn it.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Unfortunately, I'm probably most proficient with OSX...
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5875|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
I voted for Windows- games and every program you will need.

Linux is good, neat and fast, and has plus sides like EXT3 and 4 file system doesn't fragment as much as NTFS, plus hardly any viruses exist.

Thing with Linux is that Wine sucks, and the programs that are native for Linux mostly all suck compared to Windows programs. And obviously you can't play any decent games on it.

For a general OS, gaming aside, Linux is better if you have learned it all, but 99% of people are used to Windows and have spent time learning that.

If games never existed I'd rather have spent years learning Linux rather than Windows, but it don't matter to me I'm a home user and my Windows is set up just as secure as any Linux OS anyway.

Linux is best for servers IMO as it's free and you can customize it to run how you like, plus the virus/fragment benefits, it's perfect for servers- but for home users it's not really needed at all unless you really want a free OS, or just to say you're cool lol even though nowadays anyone can "use" Linux compared to the old days, it's easier than Windows for basic things, but it relies too much on the terminal to do anything useful on it, and there are people who have been using Linux for 20-30 years and still don't know it all.

In this day and age if you're thinking about just moving to Linux now (as a home user) I wouldn't lol because you won't accomplish anything that Windows can't already

max wrote:

What? How is it not lol

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2010-03-26 11:30:03)

JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6334|England
OSX I've only ever used Windows and OSX, and I like OSX a loooot more
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6007|Vortex Ring State

CammRobb wrote:

I do like Mac OS, but I'm more accustomed to Windows.
max
Vela Incident

H3RB4L ABU53 wrote:

max wrote:

What? How is it not lol
Linux is just the kernel.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6851|Reykjavík, Iceland.

max wrote:

H3RB4L ABU53 wrote:

max wrote:

What? How is it not lol
Linux is just the kernel.
An OS would be Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch Linux, Mandrivia, Redhat, Gentoo, Slackware, Linux Mint, etc.
H3RB4L ABU53
Of course Linux is the kernel, but every distribution is basically the same, has the same basic kernel just different GUI/features built in etc so I'd say Linux is an OS, it's just a generalized word for any distribution
Whatever way- it operates your system, even if you made your own Linux version it would still be called Linux

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2010-03-26 12:50:48)

max
Vela Incident

That's why I said "technically". Still, there are vast differences between different OSs running the linux kernel. Just compare Debian to Chrome OS to Android to all those embedded solutions.
SealXo
+309|6543
pc isnt os

i have OSX and W7 on my pc
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6750|FUCK UBISOFT

so what is the gnu project?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Benzin
+576|6006
I would say Linux for general use. It works perfectly fine but it still has yet to reach the level of "just works" that OSX and Windows enjoy. Ubuntu is quickly approaching that point, however, and it's awesome to see. I voted Windows, though, just because there isn't anything that you can do with one OS that you really cannot do with Windows (sans a few OS exclusive programs).

But again - PC is not an OS... good job OP.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6182|Sydney | ♥

Null vote.

Linux i love for tinkering

Windows i love for gaming

Macs i love for Working. ( lul double meaning is double)
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
H3RB4L ABU53
Linux Mint is the best one I tried (in 64-bit) it's got a good GUI and lots of decent programs built in and it's easy to get into.

I think the good thing about Linux is the driver support is good you don't normally have to install anything at all, except graphics drivers.

It's sort of getting there for the "just works" thing, I think Mint is the closest yet to a Linux that seems similar to Windows (a bit) but it's still Linux, you will always have to learn/look up pretty complicated commands to do simple things
TravisC555
+118|6227|Cox Convention Center, OK
Windows as it is the most convenient for gaming and I need a Windows OS for school.
mikkel
+383|6609
Sorta depends on what I'm looking to do.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6471|cuntshitlake

Symbian OS
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

tazz. wrote:

Null vote.

What kind of work?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6182|Sydney | ♥

Kmarion wrote:

tazz. wrote:

Null vote.

What kind of work?
uni.

i will admit however, that i have microsoft visual running under parallels.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

ah.. Just wondering because I like Macs for everything but work (and gaming).
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard