ruisleipa
+149|6219|teh FIN-land

M.O.A.B wrote:

By and large it is Arabs or those of Arabic descent who are imprisoned, even if they aren't the only group incarcerated there. That ain't racist, that's fact, live with it.
Er, yeah, and we agreed it was irrelevant. Wanna address the rest of my post?

M.O.A.B wrote:

Ah yes. A government dun me wrong, I'll go blow up a school, or a hospital, or a market, to get revenge.

Doing that gets you nowhere at all and earns you zero sympathy from those who migth've given it to you.

Nothing like a good old, 'ur saying things against non-whites, u be a racist' line to end on though eh?
I never said it was RIGHT, I'm just saying that a reason they go and blow shit up might be becasue putting thme in gitmo made them mad at the USA/the West, NOT because they were hardneed terrorists oin the first place. Sympathy? Don't make me laugh. What sympathy did the US establishment show for the innocent gitmo detainees, or indeed for innocent victims of miscarriages of justice in general?

As for the 'you're racist' thing you're imagining, I never said you were racist. I'm saying that you treat people with no respect, they'll treat you with no respect either.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

ruisleipa wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

By and large it is Arabs or those of Arabic descent who are imprisoned, even if they aren't the only group incarcerated there. That ain't racist, that's fact, live with it.
Er, yeah, and we agreed it was irrelevant. Wanna address the rest of my post?
Alright, tell me what we do with people taken prisoner in war zones? Bearing in mind these people are not protected under the GC and therefore not subjected to the protection it offers for POW's.

ruisleipa wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Ah yes. A government dun me wrong, I'll go blow up a school, or a hospital, or a market, to get revenge.

Doing that gets you nowhere at all and earns you zero sympathy from those who migth've given it to you.

Nothing like a good old, 'ur saying things against non-whites, u be a racist' line to end on though eh?
I never said it was RIGHT, I'm just saying that a reason they go and blow shit up might be becasue putting thme in gitmo made them mad at the USA/the West, NOT because they were hardneed terrorists oin the first place. Sympathy? Don't make me laugh. What sympathy did the US establishment show for the innocent gitmo detainees, or indeed for innocent victims of miscarriages of justice in general?

As for the 'you're racist' thing you're imagining, I never said you were racist. I'm saying that you treat people with no respect, they'll treat you with no respect either.
I'm talking about the people who protest against innocent people held at Gitmo showing sympathy. If you get out and blow up a crowd, you lost whatever sympathy anyone shows for you, which is why, if you want to get back at them, you do it publicly and through a court instead.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713
Funny, a lot of gitmo detainees are dumb enough and get captured AGAIN, getting caught trying to blow up US troops. Fuck it, just put two in their chests and call it regular war casualty.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Clearly, if it weren't for GITMO, every one of those guys would've been raising kittens and painting pastoral landscapes instead of trying to kill Coalition soldiers and innocent civilians. Geez, man! That's fucking obvious.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5470|Ventura, California

Cybargs wrote:

Funny, a lot of gitmo detainees are dumb enough and get captured AGAIN, getting caught trying to blow up US troops. Fuck it, just put two in their chests and call it regular war casualty.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

FEOS wrote:

Clearly, if it weren't for GITMO, every one of those guys would've been raising kittens and painting pastoral landscapes instead of trying to kill Coalition soldiers and innocent civilians. Geez, man! That's fucking obvious.
You Americans are capitalist pigs that ruin everybody's lives with your fucking california and clean food and money and clothes and fucking you ameriKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKAKAKAKAKA
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6678|Disaster Free Zone

M.O.A.B wrote:

taken prisoner in war. not ... POW's.
Just shouts out Oxymoron.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

DrunkFace wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Ok...

Except I didn't say those taken prisoner were not POW's.
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

DrunkFace wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Only when you butcher what he actually wrote to completely remove the original meaning.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
ruisleipa
+149|6219|teh FIN-land

M.O.A.B wrote:

Alright, tell me what we do with people taken prisoner in war zones? Bearing in mind these people are not protected under the GC and therefore not subjected to the protection it offers for POW's.
Who says they're not protected under the GC? Only the American government did, as far as most right-thinking people have been concerned, it seems to me, they should be counted as such. Even if they're not you're seriously arguing that it's OK to lock up innocent people for however long, and commit torture etc etc, no problems?

M.O.A.B wrote:

I'm talking about the people who protest against innocent people held at Gitmo showing sympathy. If you get out and blow up a crowd, you lost whatever sympathy anyone shows for you, which is why, if you want to get back at them, you do it publicly and through a court instead.
Through a court? Yeah right.

All I'm saying is, you have to put yourself in other people's shoes once in a while, or at least try to understand how actions taken on your behalf might actually result in, er, totally the opposite of what you wanted, becasue not everyone thinks the same. Just as a mind experiment, put yourself in the position of an innocent man in gitmo for some retarded reason (remember: INNOCENT), and say that you'd totally understand the reasons for your incarceration or something? Please note I AM NOT saying that blowing up a crowd of people is justifiable, but it is possible to understand motivation. Don't you think that if even one man was there innocently and then left a hardened extremist who blew up some civilians - wouldn't that mean Gitmo failed?

FEOS wrote:

Why go that route? No-one's saying that, obviously.

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-03-25 11:32:24)

Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5747|شمال

M.O.A.B wrote:

Islam instructs Muslims either to free captives who cannot offer ransom (in the form of money or an equivalent number of Muslim captives) or to ransom prisoners of war.[1]
Prisoners of war are not to be humiliated or degraded in any way. They have the right to their human dignity and the right to be protected from sexual, emotional, and physical abuse. Sufficient health care should be provided for prisoners who need it. Proper food and clothing should also be provided, as well as sanitary facilities. The Prophet also instructed his Companions to shelter their prisoners from the summer sun and to provide them with water to drink.
Captives are invited to learn about Islam, but they are under no pressure whatsoever to convert. [There is no compulsion in religion ] (Al-Baqarah 2:256) means that sincerity is an essential requirement of one’s faith, so, therefore, no one can be coerced to become a Muslim nor should anyone convert to seek some worldly benefit.
The Qur’an describes the righteous:
[And they, though they hold it dear, give sustenance to the indigent, the orphan and the captive. (Saying) we feed you for the sake of God alone: no reward do we desire from you, nor thanks.] (Al-Insan 76:8-9)

Read more: http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Sat … z0jDOLoJvi
Religion Of Peace
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

Beduin wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Islam instructs Muslims either to free captives who cannot offer ransom (in the form of money or an equivalent number of Muslim captives) or to ransom prisoners of war.[1]
Prisoners of war are not to be humiliated or degraded in any way. They have the right to their human dignity and the right to be protected from sexual, emotional, and physical abuse. Sufficient health care should be provided for prisoners who need it. Proper food and clothing should also be provided, as well as sanitary facilities. The Prophet also instructed his Companions to shelter their prisoners from the summer sun and to provide them with water to drink.
Captives are invited to learn about Islam, but they are under no pressure whatsoever to convert. [There is no compulsion in religion ] (Al-Baqarah 2:256) means that sincerity is an essential requirement of one’s faith, so, therefore, no one can be coerced to become a Muslim nor should anyone convert to seek some worldly benefit.
[And they, though they hold it dear, give sustenance to the indigent, the orphan and the captive. (Saying) we feed you for the sake of God alone: no reward do we desire from you, nor thanks.] (Al-Insan 76:8-9)

Religion Of Peace
Except those taking the prisoners have a twisted view of the religion and rarely abide by those rules.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Beduin wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Religion Of Peace
https://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2004/05/11/image616820g.jpg
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Yeah I mean after all we certainly shouldn't even nail polish those innocent armed men, and lets let them kill our guys as cruelly as possible, after all we're horrible invading murdering Americans there for oil, and lots of $$$$
ruisleipa
+149|6219|teh FIN-land
OK so the fact some cocks kidnap people, that makes everything alright, even kidnapping other innocent men and taking them to Gitmo. Admittedly, no beheadings took place there (we think). So that's OK then.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
You're from Finland, your argument is invalid.

*Says random shit*
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6539|Texas - Bigger than France
Awesome thread about Gitmo Iran training terrorists.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

ruisleipa wrote:

OK so the fact some cocks kidnap people, that makes everything alright, even kidnapping other innocent men and taking them to Gitmo. Admittedly, no beheadings took place there (we think). So that's OK then.
Even liberal douche Michael Moore agrees that Gitmo detainees get better health care than the average American.
ruisleipa
+149|6219|teh FIN-land

-Sh1fty- wrote:

You're from Finland, your argument is invalid.

*Says random shit*
yeeeh...ok whatever ya weirdo
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5506|America

Pug wrote:

Awesome thread about Gitmo Iran training terrorists.
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

ruisleipa wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Who says they're not protected under the GC? Only the American government did, as far as most right-thinking people have been concerned, it seems to me, they should be counted as such. Even if they're not you're seriously arguing that it's OK to lock up innocent people for however long, and commit torture etc etc, no problems?
Who says? Try those who wrote and signed the GC, for starters. You really should try reading it. You'd find the language in there that states that belligerents must be treated according to the tenets of the GC until they do not follow it themselves, whether the parties involved are signatories or not. Specifically, signatories must follow the tenets until the other side doesn't, then all bets are off. If you would've read it, you would know that.

Essentially, any treatment those people at GITMO receive is exactly what they are warranted under the GC, since they were fighting in a way that violated the tenets of the GC to start with.

ruisleipa wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Through a court? Yeah right.

All I'm saying is, you have to put yourself in other people's shoes once in a while, or at least try to understand how actions taken on your behalf might actually result in, er, totally the opposite of what you wanted, becasue not everyone thinks the same. Just as a mind experiment, put yourself in the position of an innocent man in gitmo for some retarded reason (remember: INNOCENT), and say that you'd totally understand the reasons for your incarceration or something? Please note I AM NOT saying that blowing up a crowd of people is justifiable, but it is possible to understand motivation. Don't you think that if even one man was there innocently and then left a hardened extremist who blew up some civilians - wouldn't that mean Gitmo failed?
Whatever gave you the impression that GITMO was some sort of rehabilitation center? It never was. Was never advertised as such. Was never intended to be one. So no...it wouldn't mean that it failed, as that was never its intended purpose.

ruisleipa wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Why go that route? No-one's saying that, obviously.
Because that's as idiotic as the position being taken by you and some others here. Seriously, educate yourself on the topic at hand and go off  fact-based, rather than emotion-fed, opinion.
― Albert Einstein

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6772|Moscow, Russia

FEOS wrote:

Essentially, any treatment those people at GITMO receive is exactly what they are warranted under the GC, since they were fighting in a way that violated the tenets of the GC to start with.
cool. but who's to tell if they were fighting in that way? their captors? that would render the whole affair kinda pointless, you know. "we captured him while he was fighting dirty" - and that's it? shouldn't there have been some kinda proof, a formal trial or smthing? i understand, a certain secrecy must be observed if any useful information is expected to be beaten out of those prisoners, but still. i understand, they are enemy combatants, they were taken prisoner in a war zone, bearing arms and all - that's all fine. but you also claim that they were violating some convention or crap like that - doesn't that require proof? because if it doesn't then all them conventions just went down the shitter.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
ruisleipa
+149|6219|teh FIN-land

FEOS wrote:

Who says? Try those who wrote and signed the GC, for starters. You really should try reading it. You'd find the language in there that states that belligerents must be treated according to the tenets of the GC until they do not follow it themselves, whether the parties involved are signatories or not. Specifically, signatories must follow the tenets until the other side doesn't, then all bets are off. If you would've read it, you would know that.

Your argument might hold some force were it certain that they (Gitmo detainees) really were/are 'combatants'. However since many were innocent or held without trial you can't be certain about anything. So since they're there as 'combtatants' they should imo be treated as such. Your argument agains shows how morally hypocritical you are. You may as well say 'the GC are a load of shit so if they other side don't follow them we sure won't'. It might have missed your attention that the US is supposed to be some massive beacon for life, liberty, freedom etc etc. Then you do shit like this. So...who's the failure?

FEOS wrote:

Whatever gave you the impression that GITMO was some sort of rehabilitation center? It never was. Was never advertised as such. Was never intended to be one. So no...it wouldn't mean that it failed, as that was never its intended purpose.
Well, like I asked, and feel free to answer my question - if ONE ex-detainee who was innocent and turned into a fundamnetalist by being in Gitmo then comitted a terrorist act - AS A DIRECT RESULT OF BEING IN GITMO - then, surely, Gitmo is a failure. If the aim of Gitmo was to consolidate anti-US feeling across half the world then yes, it succeeded admirably.

FEOS wrote:

Because that's as idiotic as the position being taken by you and some others here. Seriously, educate yourself on the topic at hand and go off  fact-based, rather than emotion-fed, opinion.
It's not emotion-fed, why should it be? my position isn't idiotic - it's based on fact. Here are some for you:

That some (perhaps the majority?) of detainees in gitmo were innocent. That's the basic fact.
Also, people have been tortured in gitmo.
Deaths at gitmo have occurred (through torture?)
Most people there were held without trial, often for several years.
Many consider Gitmo to be illegal and the ignoring of the GC also to be illegal.
Anti-US sentiment has increased across the world as a direct result of Gitmo.

Now you and others might like to argue that locking up and torturing innocent people is OK. That's another reason why the US has lost a lot of its moral force, because you've been duped into thinking that the US can do anything to keep its position as world superpower and follows differnt moral standards than other countries. You want to invade another country illegally, kidnap innocent people and jail them for years without trial? Fine, don't be surprised when they dog you've beaten comes back and bites you in the ass. Gitmo has created more 'terrorists' than have been locked up. That's pretty much a fact also. By what measure of success was Gitmo a 'success', cos I can give you a list of ways it was a failure. But if you want try giving me some 'facts-based' arguments (totally unlike your last little bit I quoted above by the way) that Gitmo was another American policy coup.

Oh and have you hear about the lawsuits now taking place against deaths in US custody...in Guantanamo. Yep, you must be proud to have such an excellent use of your tax dollars. Well done.

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-03-26 00:30:15)

FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

cool. but who's to tell if they were fighting in that way? their captors? that would render the whole affair kinda pointless, you know. "we captured him while he was fighting dirty" - and that's it? shouldn't there have been some kinda proof, a formal trial or smthing? i understand, a certain secrecy must be observed if any useful information is expected to be beaten out of those prisoners, but still. i understand, they are enemy combatants, they were taken prisoner in a war zone, bearing arms and all - that's all fine. but you also claim that they were violating some convention or crap like that - doesn't that require proof? because if it doesn't then all them conventions just went down the shitter.
You're assuming there wasn't some sort of proof/evidence to hold them to begin with, which would be a flawed assumption.
― Albert Einstein

ruisleipa
+149|6219|teh FIN-land

FEOS wrote:

You're assuming there wasn't some sort of proof/evidence to hold them to begin with, which would be a flawed assumption.
Very rarely if I understand correctly was anyone caught in the specific act of attacking troops. Most were arrested on the say-so of informants. Again, if you consider that enough 'evidence' to lock someone up without trial for years then fine, or indeed if you consider the act of thinking about doing something a crime ('he was thinking about doing a car bombing - arrest him!'). But it's not how it's done in the civilised world, you know.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard