ruisleipa
+149|6232|teh FIN-land
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ma … ing-drills

Dunno if this is owrthy of EE or DS&T but anyway...

The asymmetric reality of 21st-century warfare has taught the US military much over the last decade.

It has taught them that their enemies are relentless, technologically advanced and often invisible – and that hardware and superior numbers are no longer the guarantees they once were.

Unfortunately, it has also taught them that some of their recruits are too fat and not much good in a fight, and that a lot of their 30-year-old physical training regime is in danger of becoming obsolete.

However, the top brass has listened to Iraq and Afghanistan combat veterans and is now switching the fitness focus from five-mile runs and bayonet drills to zigzag sprints and agility exercises. Battlefield sergeants believe recruits should also learn how to dodge across alleys and pull a comrade from a burning vehicle.

The new drills are also designed to educate those whose only experience of combat has been gleaned from playing computer games.

"Most of these soldiers have never been in a fistfight or any kind of a physical confrontation," said trainer Captain Scott Sewell at the army's fitness school in Fort Jackson, South Carolina. "They are stunned when they get smacked in the face. We are trying to get them to act, to think like warriors."

To that end, Sewell and his colleagues spend hours urging trainees to duel with pugil sticks until one is knocked over.
OK it's a fairly lame article but I'm wondering if those of you with army expereicen reckon that the fitness level of troops is going down due to..what, no exercise, bad food, what? Or is the army the lean mean fighting machine we expect? not only US but other countries too.
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6571|Southampton, UK

IMO:

Don't flame me but my first thought was Americans. Stereotypically fat anyway, and when it comes to firing a gun at some foreigner they will jump through hoops for the chance because they're all trigger-happy anyway.

But on a serious note, Fitness is by far what any countries Army should maintain at a very high standard. Some may not like it, but the reality is if you're in Southern Helmand and coming under contact in open ground from a compound. You're bugging out - Do not expect a 50m sprint then a bottle of water or a sofa for you to sit your fat ass down and chillax on, and on top of that the weight you carry is unreal. Every soldier, disregarding rank should have a high level of fitness - Which is why you have standards in the British Army. (PFT - 1.5mile run in certain time. CFT - 8 mile tab with 36lb's in under 2 hours, and a few others I won't go into.)

Personally I think they shouldn't change jack shit, but they should be more strict on fitness levels before sending every man jack on tour. More specific to the Americans considering Obama's sending them by the thousands. 5 Milers every day should be more than enough to keep someones fitness up, but it shouldn't be the boring fast walk you see in Full Metal Jacket or Jarhead. It should be more of Fartlek training, Sprint sessions, or running with weight.

I could go into this really deeply, but I don't want to frazzle my brain right now...
And i need a dump
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6009|Vortex Ring State
"CFT - 8 mile tab with 36lb's in under 2 hours, and a few others I won't go into."

Pff, easy, I could do 12 miles in 2 hours with a 36lb pack.
naightknifar
Served and Out

Trotskygrad wrote:

"CFT - 8 mile tab with 36lb's in under 2 hours, and a few others I won't go into."

Congratulations.

I have.

next...

Edit: In fact, I did it with 60lb's. My mistake. Apologies.

Last edited by naightknifar (2010-03-17 16:22:03)

Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6009|Vortex Ring State

naightknifar wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Congratulations.

I have.

next...

You just had to 1up me, eh?

15 miles is brutal though, right before dinner
naightknifar
Served and Out

Trotskygrad wrote:

naightknifar wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Congratulations.

I have.

next...

You just had to 1up me, eh?

15 miles is brutal though, right before dinner
.... I don't see where you were even intending on heading with this. . . . But whatever - Well done. Cookie?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5712|College Park, MD
I recall reading that something like 25% of Americans are either unfit or medically disqualified for service in the military.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I recall reading that something like 25% of Americans are either unfit or medically disqualified for service in the military.
That wouldn't surprise me, seeing as how apparently 1/3 are obese.
Karbin
+42|6304
From when I was in;
Weightload March a distance of 13 km in full fighting gear and rucksack (for a total of 35 kg) in under 2 hr 26 min 20 s. Casualty evacuation (fireman’s
carry) another soldier of similar weight and height a distance of 100m, with both soldiers wearing a helmet
and carrying ammunition and a weapon, in under 60 seconds. Ammunition box lift of 48 boxes (20.9 kg)
from the floor to a height of 1.3 m, completing the task in less than 5 minutes. Trench Dig using a shovel,
to move .486 cubic metres of standard pea gravel from one trench box to another, completing the task in
under 6 minutes.

And thats from 20+ years ago.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5368|London, England

ruisleipa wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/17/us-army-troops-training-drills

Dunno if this is owrthy of EE or DS&T but anyway...

The asymmetric reality of 21st-century warfare has taught the US military much over the last decade.

It has taught them that their enemies are relentless, technologically advanced and often invisible – and that hardware and superior numbers are no longer the guarantees they once were.

Unfortunately, it has also taught them that some of their recruits are too fat and not much good in a fight, and that a lot of their 30-year-old physical training regime is in danger of becoming obsolete.

However, the top brass has listened to Iraq and Afghanistan combat veterans and is now switching the fitness focus from five-mile runs and bayonet drills to zigzag sprints and agility exercises. Battlefield sergeants believe recruits should also learn how to dodge across alleys and pull a comrade from a burning vehicle.

The new drills are also designed to educate those whose only experience of combat has been gleaned from playing computer games.

"Most of these soldiers have never been in a fistfight or any kind of a physical confrontation," said trainer Captain Scott Sewell at the army's fitness school in Fort Jackson, South Carolina. "They are stunned when they get smacked in the face. We are trying to get them to act, to think like warriors."

To that end, Sewell and his colleagues spend hours urging trainees to duel with pugil sticks until one is knocked over.
OK it's a fairly lame article but I'm wondering if those of you with army expereicen reckon that the fitness level of troops is going down due to..what, no exercise, bad food, what? Or is the army the lean mean fighting machine we expect? not only US but other countries too.
Didn't have to read beyond here. Relaxin Jackson was doing fucking yoga as PT when I was in basic.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6778

Karbin wrote:

From when I was in;
Weightload March a distance of 13 km in full fighting gear and rucksack (for a total of 35 kg) in under 2 hr 26 min 20 s. Casualty evacuation (fireman’s
carry) another soldier of similar weight and height a distance of 100m, with both soldiers wearing a helmet
and carrying ammunition and a weapon, in under 60 seconds. Ammunition box lift of 48 boxes (20.9 kg)
from the floor to a height of 1.3 m, completing the task in less than 5 minutes. Trench Dig using a shovel,
to move .486 cubic metres of standard pea gravel from one trench box to another, completing the task in
under 6 minutes.

And thats from 20+ years ago.
that sounds tough.

I was complaining cos I had to get 8.4 on the beep test when I joined the cops 6 months ago.

That shits all over my beep test.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Minimum requirements when I was in was 40 pushups, 50 situps and like 17:00 on the two mile run.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5269|foggy bottom
15:54 for 18 to 21 year olds

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-03-17 19:11:20)

Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

15:54 for 18 to 21 year olds
I was 24 when I got out. 16:36 for a 60.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5269|foggy bottom
pog city!

jk man, I maxed everything but the run.  Im a bad runner.  My highest score was in the 260's because of the run

Last edited by eleven bravo (2010-03-17 19:23:32)

Tu Stultus Es
jord
+2,382|6688|The North, beyond the wall.
Mmmm doing 50 push ups doesnt help in a war...
eleven bravo
+1,399|5269|foggy bottom
it does if its a push up war
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

pog city!

jk man, I maxed everything but the run.  Im a bad runner.  My highest score was in the 260's because of the run
I didn't give a fuck so I averaged 180

Yes, I would stand at the finish line on the run and wait for 16:36 to come around before crossing.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5269|foggy bottom
some days I just started walking from the start of the run in protest.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

some days I just started walking from the start of the run in protest.
I started my string of 180s after my First Sergeant decided to do PT tests every two weeks until the entire company passed. Lasted a good six months and obviously didn't work.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5269|foggy bottom
they had me doing about 3 tests aweek because of my run failure.  that lasted about a month before they realized that shit wasnt doing anything except pissing off a good soldier who had flat feet and a pack a day habit.
Tu Stultus Es
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5760|شمال
recruit soldiers from taliban. They are willing to die!
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

ruisleipa wrote:

I think they're talking about the recruits that come into the military with no psychological readiness for physical confrontations and a low level of physical fitness. I wholeheartedly agree that focus needs to be put on rectifying these issues before they make them march smartly around.

Personally, I don't think it helps much that the first thing they do to you in boot camp is make you tired and stupid.
ruisleipa
+149|6232|teh FIN-land

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Personally, I don't think it helps much that the first thing they do to you in boot camp is make you tired and stupid.
good point.
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6495|England
When we were training with the US Army in Bavaria  before Iraq i was chatting to a few of them about there fitness they said most of what they did was upper body like weights and pull ups ect, i dont know if this is true for all of them.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard