Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6721|67.222.138.85
No, no it can't barring an apocalyptic scenario.

I'm pretty sure you haven't spent much time on a real farm these days, not a mom n' pop operation. They aren't susceptible to typical variations in weather or economic hardship in terms of feeding America. Your idea of a family working a 100 acre farm is obsolete.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6544|Global Command

lowing wrote:

Most of them put every penny back into their farms. There is no vacation, the off season is spent repairing equipment and getting it ready for the up coming crops. Farming is a hard life. and it does not pay most of the time. .
sounds like a bunch of fucking moochers to me
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I'm pretty sure you haven't spent much time on a real farm these days, not a mom n' pop operation. They aren't susceptible to typical variations in weather or economic hardship in terms of feeding America. Your idea of a family working a 100 acre farm is obsolete.
and yet one freeze sends oranges through the roof. Like I said, take away farm subsidizes and this nation will starve. No one will put up with farming for nothing. Sorry.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA

ATG wrote:

lowing wrote:

Most of them put every penny back into their farms. There is no vacation, the off season is spent repairing equipment and getting it ready for the up coming crops. Farming is a hard life. and it does not pay most of the time. .
sounds like a bunch of fucking moochers to me
Yup this is stupid.
Flaming_Maniac

lowing wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

and yet one freeze sends oranges through the roof. Like I said, take away farm subsidizes and this nation will starve. No one will put up with farming for nothing. Sorry.
Since when? We don't even get THAT much citrus from the Southern states, we import a LOT of our fruit.

I am not one to give up trying to convince somebody, but you are seriously behind the times if you think we give up farm subsidies and the nation starves. It's like you're stuck in the 1800s or something.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6512

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

It's like you're stuck in the 1800s or something.
utah, forgot to put 1800 utah
13rin
+977|6494

Kmarion wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I work at a grocery store and honestly, maybe 1/30-40 people buys paying food stamps. When they do... they do usually buy absolute necessities (crackers, fruit, bread, etc) and buy a lot of the reduced produce and grocery as well.
You know why? 'cause it's not really much. In Florida a single person gets about $200 a month. $50 a week. $7.14 a day.. $2.38 a meal. ofc they are frugal
What do you want them to buy? Filet Mignon?  I was pissed I saw a person abusing the system.  Ever been approached in a parking lot by someone with a gift card saying that there is X amount of dollars on it but will sell it to you for 1/2 the cost -cash?  Obviously that person selling the card didn't need the food that bad.  But hey, I'll help pay for it.... Really?  Yea, don't forget to swallow.

Now multiply that $200 (per person) by 35 million. 7 billion..

Shit, we even give these cards to non-citizens.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
13rin
+977|6494

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lowing wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Since when? We don't even get THAT much citrus from the Southern states, we import a LOT of our fruit.

I am not one to give up trying to convince somebody, but you are seriously behind the times if you think we give up farm subsidies and the nation starves. It's like you're stuck in the 1800s or something.
Citrus and Fruit are two different animals... Apples to oranges anyone?

Bit dated, but & FL

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2010-03-17 21:09:53)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Flaming_Maniac

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lowing wrote:

Citrus and Fruit are two different animals... Apples to oranges anyone?

Bit dated, but & FL
What? Citrus is a type of fruit...he said oranges specifically so I referenced the Southern states, but added that fruit as a whole we import a large percentage. Globalization means even when harsh storms do hit it doesn't take out the whole market.
ruisleipa
+149|6237|teh FIN-land

ATG wrote:

Your position has no color and this is not a black and white world. You are attention whoring by taking a outrageous stance.
par for the course tbh.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6824|NÃ¥rvei

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Lack of a social safety net can easily explain why you have out of control programs like food stamps ...
So we should expand the safety net because the safety net is too big?
Nope ... rather make A safety net that works rather than having a lot of exspensive single programs that don't ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
ruisleipa
+149|6237|teh FIN-land

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Citrus and Fruit are two different animals
LMAO do you even know what you're talking about?

Citrus...is a type of fruit. Apples and oranges are both fruit, but only one is citrus. lol.

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-03-18 01:54:46)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6731

ruisleipa wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Citrus...is a type of fruit. Apples and oranges are both fruit, but only one is citrus. lol.
Sarcasm detector off?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lowing wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I dunno how about since there has been freezing?

You hit the nail right on the head. Whats the problem globalization will take care of our food needs. Yet I am speaking of US farmers.

Just because we can not buy from a US grower does not mean that farmer has not worked to produce. Your answer is to simply buy elsewhere, that does little for the guy that lost his crop here and now.

I love how you really see no problem with leaving American farming to the whims of the weather, the market, and taxes. Who would farm for free? Take away the subsidizes and people will sell of their land to the highest bidder, cash out and retire. Something that is already a problem.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5252|Cleveland, Ohio

Cybargs wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Sarcasm detector off?
lol......a little bit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA

ruisleipa wrote:

ATG wrote:

Your position has no color and this is not a black and white world. You are attention whoring by taking a outrageous stance.
par for the course tbh.
Jesus Christ! This kid is like a hyper dog bouncing around you nipping at your pant legs. I thought they banned your ass, That was short lived.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA
What I love most is everyone scrambling trying to point the finger at ANYONE else calling them a mooch. Instead of taking it for what it is.

If you take something without giving anything in return you are a mooch. period.

govt. workers give back, hell they even pay taxes! So your desperate attempt to label me and any other govt. worker a mooch, fails ( always has) I do enjoy the attempt however.

farmers give back

corporations give back

the only ones that do not give back are welfare recipients.

If being a mooch is so shameful that you must try and fill your ranks with company so you are not alone, ( don't know how that could be anyway there is plenty of the mooching entitled in America) then don't mooch. However if you do mooch just call it what it is.

Last edited by lowing (2010-03-18 04:03:50)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6689|Canberra, AUS
Yes the logic that says "government workers only steal!" doesn't hold up to anything even remotely resembling scrutiny.

I am interested though, if you think that delayed reciprocation is, well, OK in your books. What I'm getting at here is subsidised education for national-priority career paths but that's another thread.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA

Spark wrote:

Yes the logic that says "government workers only steal!" doesn't hold up to anything even remotely resembling scrutiny.

I am interested though, if you think that delayed reciprocation is, well, OK in your books. What I'm getting at here is subsidised education for national-priority career paths but that's another thread.
There is no delayed reciprocation. You are a mooch to the point where yo are no longer a mooch. You are either on welfare (taking and not giving), or you are not on welfare.

Look people can "what if" me until the cows come home, people can in a pathetic deperate attempt to feel good about mooching try and include govt. workers all they want. The fact is, welfare is mooching, it is taking something from someone else for your own gain through the FORCE of govt. Period.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6664

Lowing it's very un-conservative of you to support farm subsidies, I'm rather surprised. I thought you're all for the 'people have to take care of themselves' stuff?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA

ghettoperson wrote:

Lowing it's very un-conservative of you to support farm subsidies, I'm rather surprised. I thought you're all for the 'people have to take care of themselves' stuff?
I am, however with farming (hard work mind you) you are at the mercy of the things totally beyond your control.

Farmers feed the nation. I draw a big difference between subsidizing personal failure, and subsidizing the nations bread basket. Don't you?

It is a rare exception however. I do not even want my industry subsidized. Airlines should succeed or fail through their own devices.

Last edited by lowing (2010-03-18 05:04:05)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6689|Canberra, AUS

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

There is no delayed reciprocation. You are a mooch to the point where yo are no longer a mooch. You are either on welfare (taking and not giving), or you are not on welfare.

Look people can "what if" me until the cows come home, people can in a pathetic deperate attempt to feel good about mooching try and include govt. workers all they want. The fact is, welfare is mooching, it is taking something from someone else for your own gain through the FORCE of govt. Period.
I wasn't talking about welfare.

I was talking about subsidizing university/college education in national-priority career paths (such as science, medicine etc.), on the basis that by subsidizing these kinds of education the government will get a greater return in future when these people use these highly specialized skills (unless you can teach yourself partial differential equation theory) in the private sector, or in research and development.

Anyway, it's a bit of a derail so I'll hold it unless you feel like responding to it.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5252|Cleveland, Ohio

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I am, however with farming (hard work mind you) you are at the mercy of the things totally beyond your control.

Farmers feed the nation. I draw a big difference between subsidizing personal failure, and subsidizing the nations bread basket. Don't you?
good call.  but, lots of farmers just grow corn for processed shit food  $$$$$$$.  they should lose their handouts, but they dont.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6666|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

I wasn't talking about welfare.

I was talking about subsidizing university/college education in national-priority career paths (such as science, medicine etc.), on the basis that by subsidizing these kinds of education the government will get a greater return in future when these people use these highly specialized skills (unless you can teach yourself partial differential equation theory) in the private sector, or in research and development.

Anyway, it's a bit of a derail so I'll hold it unless you feel like responding to it.
That is not welfare,  I have no problem with bootstrap programs. Always have maintained a desire to help those that help themselves. You know that, I have said it enough
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6731

11 Bravo wrote:

lowing wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

good call.  but, lots of farmers just grow corn for processed shit food  $$$$$$$.  they should lose their handouts, but they dont.
Corporations actually control the farming industry. mom and pop farms are almost dead.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard