Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6707|67.222.138.85
You can't live by the rules of one society and use the terminology of another.

Social programs build inefficiency into the system. Capitalist solutions to problems aren't as effective as they would be in the absence of those social safety nets. For example, if you lose your job in a purely capitalist nation the solution is to get another. If you lose your job in the U.S. however, it will take some amount of time x longer to find a job than it would in the capitalist nation. If you were begging for food in the capitalist system during your time unemployed, you're a moocher. If you lose your job in America and go on food stamps through the duration of x, well then you're just operating in the environment you live in. To immediately denounce accepting the "benefits" of such a society without acknowledging their inextricably linked detrimental effects on the ability of someone to find another job is ignorant.

Now if someone continued with food stamps then yes they would be a moocher. Of course it's impossible to make this distinction with certainty because it's impossible to determine what x is, but it's not unreasonable to assume the difference is weeks or even months. I'm sure quite a few people lose their work, go on food stamps out of necessity, and find work again within that time period.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Chou wrote:

lowing wrote:

Also unemployment is not a handout, it is insurance that you purchase.
Could you run this bit by me again?

As I understand you work freelance? and it might be a bit different for you than the factory employee.
Nooooooooo, unemployment is insurance it is not a handout. Someone who has never paid into unemployment benefits do not get unemployment benefits.

I do not work free lance, nor have I ever.

What ATG and others are talking about is when I worked for a company that bid on military contracts. I worked full time for this company and was paid by this company. During my time there, I was assigned a project that took me to Iraq twice and Germany, as well as all over the states working on the project I was assigned. Note the key word here. "WORKED" and "WORKING"

I am no longer with that company, I am back at an airline.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Kmarion wrote:

lowing wrote:

Narupug wrote:

So lowing if you ever hit hard times, got laid off or whatever, you wouldn't get foodstamps, unemployment, or any of those other government programs?
I have been laid off and what I got was another fuckin job. GIve it a shot.

Also unemployment is not a handout, it is insurance that you purchase.
Don't you have to demonstrate that you are actively looking for employment if you receive foodstamps? Have you been laid off in THIS economy? There are millions fighting over a few jobs.
laid off in 2005 recalled in 2009, I was working at all points in between for different companies. Does that count as "this economy"?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

No it doesn't. The unemployment rate was almost half of what it is now.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Social programs build inefficiency into the system. Capitalist solutions to problems aren't as effective as they would be in the absence of those social safety nets. For example, if you lose your job in a purely capitalist nation the solution is to get another. If you lose your job in the U.S. however, it will take some amount of time x longer to find a job than it would in the capitalist nation. If you were begging for food in the capitalist system during your time unemployed, you're a moocher. If you lose your job in America and go on food stamps through the duration of x, well then you're just operating in the environment you live in. To immediately denounce accepting the "benefits" of such a society without acknowledging their inextricably linked detrimental effects on the ability of someone to find another job is ignorant.

Now if someone continued with food stamps then yes they would be a moocher. Of course it's impossible to make this distinction with certainty because it's impossible to determine what x is, but it's not unreasonable to assume the difference is weeks or even months. I'm sure quite a few people lose their work, go on food stamps out of necessity, and find work again within that time period.
Look up the definition of a mooch and tell me where all of your criteria apply.

Regardless as to how smart you are, what you did in the past, or how successful you were at it. If you take something for nothing you are mooching. Period. If you wnat to discuss how long one intends on mooching fine. But you are a mooch regardless
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Kmarion wrote:

Took my last job 6 months ago. Sorry for being able to keep it that long. Guess I don't count.
Flaming_Maniac

lowing wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Regardless as to how smart you are, what you did in the past, or how successful you were at it. If you take something for nothing you are mooching. Period. If you wnat to discuss how long one intends on mooching fine. But you are a mooch regardless
What? What criteria?

If you're taking advantage of social programs during x you aren't taking something without consequence. You are paying for it with the wages you would be earning if the nation was 100% capitalist.
13rin
+977|6480

Kmarion wrote:

And that number doesn't even report on those that have 'given up' on looking for employment.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

You were lucky. Whether you realize it or not. There are millions of qualified people hunting, everyday.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lowing wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

What? What criteria?

If you're taking advantage of social programs during x you aren't taking something without consequence. You are paying for it with the wages you would be earning if the nation was 100% capitalist.
No you are taking away from some one that has earned by force, for your own personal gain.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

And that number doesn't even report on those that have 'given up' on looking for employment.
True. But I wouldn't consider the people that have given up as competition.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Kmarion wrote:

You were lucky. Whether you realize it or not. There are millions of qualified people hunting, everyday.
Ahhh I see, I was just "lucky".. My skill, my marketability, has nothing to do with it. So tell me then, by this according to you, I suppose I am just "luckier" than the person who does not try to better themselves, made shitty decisions in their lives. It all falls on 'luck". YOu can achieve what I have by not working for it. No effort whatsoever. I just relied on luck. Righhhhtttttttt!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

I did not say that "My skill, my marketability" had nothing to do with it. You have a habit of adding words to make your argument. There are people with all of that and still have not been successful (believe it or not). Today it takes more than skill and marketability. It takes good fortune. Try to think outside of your little bubble.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

but assuming you have worked in the past you have paid taxes which entitles you to benfits including food stamps should you become unemployed, ergo not everyone on food stamps is a 'moocher' since they're not taking it for nothing - they've paid for it.

'mooching' is such a stupid word.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Kmarion wrote:

I did not say that "My skill, my marketability" had nothing to do with it. You have a habit of adding words to make your argument. There are people with all of that and still have not been successful (believe it or not). Today it takes more than skill and marketability. It takes good fortune. Try to think outside of your little bubble.
I am sorry, where did I mis-interpret "you were lucky"?

Also there is no one out of work in my industry that can't find a job. The jobs are out there. The difference is some CHOOSE not to move, some CHOOSE not to work at the wage offered, some CHOOSE to go back to school and seek a different career and there are some who CHOOSE just not to go back to work. but there are very few who are seeking work in this industry and can't find it.

If there are no jobs out there, then there would not be recruiters calling me and e-mailing me for employment. Also searth the net, plenty of work out there for those willing to make some adjustments. If it was good enough for me to do it is damn sure good enough for anyone else.
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

but there are very few who are seeking work in this industry and can't find it.
err...but not everyone is trained to work in the airline industry or whatever you do. How is a plumber or something gonna get a job wotrking in an airline?

Really, your point is moot that YOU can find work in YOUR industry. There are other people with different skills than yours you know.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ruisleipa wrote:

lowing wrote:

but assuming you have worked in the past you have paid taxes which entitles you to benfits including food stamps should you become unemployed, ergo not everyone on food stamps is a 'moocher' since they're not taking it for nothing - they've paid for it.

'mooching' is such a stupid word.
Well if you want ot go there, I will add that my taxes are paying for infrastructure that the non-tax payers are using for free. MOOCHING.

No! working entitles you to unemployment benefits when you are out of work. It does not entitle you to my paycheck
Flaming_Maniac

lowing wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lowing wrote:

What? What criteria?

No you are taking away from some one that has earned by force, for your own personal gain.
lol don't even talk to me about taking by force for personal gain. There is a very good chance I am your biggest ally here. You're not even meeting me halfway though...I don't think you read what I said.

Taking what is yours is not stealing. Think of your taxes like a complex number. The real part is what you write on the check that you send to the government. The imaginary part is the cost of living in this society, (wages earned in capitalist country - wages earned in USA). The imaginary part is what you use to pay for social programs during x. It's imaginary, it's impossible to measure it directly, but it is most certainly there and must be accounted for.
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

MOOCHING.
writing in capital letters doesn't make it a better word. I'm not dissing you, I'm just saying... It must be a US word cos where I'm from mooching means hanging around and relaxing, like 'I'm just mooching at home'.

lowing wrote:

Well if you want ot go there, I will add that my taxes are paying for infrastructure that the non-tax payers are using for free.
So everyone who has paid taxes should only be entitled to services equivalent to exactly the same amount of taxes they have paid? And do you think you have used up your tax payments yet by using roads, for example? Or the police? Or any other services your taxes go towards?

If someone has paid taxes before and is currently out of work then they HAVE paid for the servcies so they're entitled to use them. your argument would only apply to anyone who has never worked or paid any taxes at all.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ruisleipa wrote:

lowing wrote:

but there are very few who are seeking work in this industry and can't find it.
err...but not everyone is trained to work in the airline industry or whatever you do. How is a plumber or something gonna get a job working in an airline?

Really, your point is moot that YOU can find work in YOUR industry. There are other people with different skills than yours you know.
Oh ok so now you are telling me the airline industry ( one of the hardest hit industries in this economy) doesn't count?? How convenient for your argument.  So basically, since I have been able to overcome my efforts do not count? fantasitc argument

Already said I have friends that CHOOSE not to stay in aviation and are getting trained in other fields. they are living off of their unemployment benefits while going to school. In other words, they are actively in pursuit of bettering their situations, and are not laying back collecting welfare.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lowing wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

What? What criteria?

lol don't even talk to me about taking by force for personal gain. There is a very good chance I am your biggest ally here. You're not even meeting me halfway though...I don't think you read what I said.

Taking what is yours is not stealing. Think of your taxes like a complex number. The real part is what you write on the check that you send to the government. The imaginary part is the cost of living in this society, (wages earned in capitalist country - wages earned in USA). The imaginary part is what you use to pay for social programs during x. It's imaginary, it's impossible to measure it directly, but it is most certainly there and must be accounted for.
No! taxes are meant pay for infrastructure, not redistribution to the 'entitled" class. If you dirve on the road, expect sevices from a fire department or the police. This is what you paidfor. you do not pay to have taxes for redistribution
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

Oh ok so now you are telling me the airline industry ( one of the hardest hit industries in this economy) doesn't count?? How convenient for your argument.  So basically, since I have been able to overcome my efforts do not count? fantasitc argument
huh? Doesn't count what? you're saying that since you can find work easily in your industry everyone who is out of work must be a 'moocher' cos they cold find work in your industry. I'm saying it doesn't work like that cos not everyone is trained to work in aviation. It's nice for you that you have been able to find work but no, that fact has nothing to do with your basiic argument about 'mooching'.

lowing wrote:

Already said I have friends that CHOOSE not to stay in aviation and are getting trained in other fields. they are living off of their unemployment benefits while going to school. In other words, they are actively in pursuit of bettering their situations, and are not laying back collecting welfare.
OK, but what about people that can't enrol in college, and can't find work in their field currently? If they've paid tax in the past when working they're entitled to welfare. i don't see what the problem is, or why you think everyone is out to 'steal your paycheck' like it's a personal thing. You get taxed anyway so the financial impact on you personally is practically non-existent as far as I can tell, since you have zero way of knowing if your tax dollars pay for someone on welfare or a new tank for the army or what-the-hell-ever. Plus from your previous posts your friends are mochers as well since they're getting things for free twice - welfare AND education.

Last edited by ruisleipa (2010-03-17 15:28:39)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

ruisleipa wrote:

lowing wrote:

MOOCHING.
writing in capital letters doesn't make it a better word. I'm not dissing you, I'm just saying... It must be a US word cos where I'm from mooching means hanging around and relaxing, like 'I'm just mooching at home'.

lowing wrote:

Well if you want ot go there, I will add that my taxes are paying for infrastructure that the non-tax payers are using for free.
So everyone who has paid taxes should only be entitled to services equivalent to exactly the same amount of taxes they have paid? And do you think you have used up your tax payments yet by using roads, for example? Or the police? Or any other services your taxes go towards?

If someone has paid taxes before and is currently out of work then they HAVE paid for the servcies so they're entitled to use them. your argument would only apply to anyone who has never worked or paid any taxes at all.
Welfare is not a function of govt. Charity is a function of the private sector. Unemployment is an earned benefit, it is paid into. Welfare is not paid into it is money stolen from other for redistribution. It is money taken by force from one person to give to another for nothing in retrun.
Flaming_Maniac

lowing wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lowing wrote:

No! taxes are meant pay for infrastructure, not redistribution to the 'entitled" class. If you dirve on the road, expect sevices from a fire department or the police. This is what you paidfor. you do not pay to have taxes for redistribution
Dude you're missing the point. What taxes should pay for and what they do pay for are two different things. Yeah they should pay for nothing but infrastructure and defense, but the point is they pay for a lot of other things too. You do have to pay taxes that go towards the redistribution of wealth, you can't just opt out. Rejecting what you already paid for because "it's stealing" is ridiculous.
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

Welfare is not a function of govt. Charity is a function of the private sector. Unemployment is an earned benefit, it is paid into. Welfare is not paid into it is money stolen from other for redistribution. It is money taken by force from one person to give to another for nothing in retrun.
It's not taken by force though is it? And it's not personally taken from one person and given to another. It's part of the social system you subscribe to by living in your country.

Also what's the difference between unemployment benefit and welfare benefit? They're both part of the same system, again - one that tax payers pay into so that should they become unemployed or destitute they have a safety net to fall back on. Of course welfare is a function of government, it doesn't make sense to say otherwise. It just IS. Or do you mean it shouldn't be?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard