Stimey
­
+786|6116|Ontario | Canada
Hey guys,

just looking for some software thats gonna let me fuck around with my music files, in a good way
kinda like photoshop, but for music I guess

thanks
­
­
­
­
­
­
Microwave
_
+515|6651|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Like DJ'ing or music editing? Also what platform - mac or pc?
Stimey
­
PC

gonna start off with editing, kinda wanna move into djing
­
­
­
­
­
­
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6322|England

Stimey wrote:

just looking for some software thats gonna let me fuck around with my music files, in a good way
Like how ?
Stimey
­
slow it down, speed it up, cut the files
maybe pull voice off background music
­
­
­
­
­
­
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6322|England

Stimey wrote:

slow it down, speed it up, cut the files
maybe pull voice off background music
For speeding up slowing down shit I'd say ableton. You can't pull the voice off the background music just like that..
Stimey
­
Yeah thats what I thought
thanks though
­
­
­
­
­
­
Microwave
_
+515|6651|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
For simple stuff just like speeding up and slowing down you could probably just use a wave editor.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6434
Lies, you can pull the vocals off of almost any track, and if you can't for some reason, you can easily eq them to the point that they are not audible anymore.  In general, vocals are easy to get out, as they are almost all mid range to high eq, plus always dead center.  Any program that's ACTUALLY for editing, NOT Ableton, Reason, etc, should be able to do this. 

Ok so you could pay for ProTools, Cubase, Nuendo, etc.  Or you could go ugly free with Cool Edit yadda yadda.  Here's the winnar...

It's open source, constantly being updated, and best of all, free.  All you have to do is sit for 5 seconds while it asks you to buy.  It's output matches any program you'd pay bundles for.  It's easy to use. 

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6322|England
Please explain to me how you can pull vocals off a track without using a CD version that came with an instrumental, and without just EQing the music out, cause that sounds crap imo.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6434
My bad, I'm saying getting rid of the vocals, not pulling them out to be used somewhere else...

Center Cancel will automatically reduce vocals by at least 75% if it was recorded by an engineer with ANY idea of what they are doing.  The other 25% can easily be eq'd to inaudible levels with an eq that's at least 24 band, 32+ even saucier. 

Sure you'll also lose some of the instrumental tracks that were centered, but again, as with any decent producer, vocals should be one of maybe 2 or 3 things that are straight center.  And anything you lose, can easily be reproduced by the umpteen progs out there...

Last edited by oChaos.Haze (2010-08-17 23:01:23)

Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5995|The Mitten

JakAttaK wrote:

Please explain to me how you can pull vocals off a track without using a CD version that came with an instrumental, and without just EQing the music out, cause that sounds crap imo.
import audio file to two discrete tracks.
apply phase reversal to one track, and ONE track only.
Sum tracks to mono.
You are left with very faint reverb, if anything.
EE (hats
oChaos.Haze
+90|6434

Morpheus wrote:

JakAttaK wrote:

Sum tracks to mono.
My main producer loves that, I don't.  But then again, I never set about trying to take vocals out, just ended up doing it out of boredom and need for some practice...
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5995|The Mitten

oChaos.Haze wrote:

Morpheus wrote:

JakAttaK wrote:

Sum tracks to mono.
My main producer loves that, I don't.  But then again, I never set about trying to take vocals out, just ended up doing it out of boredom and need for some practice...
Yea. There are flaws with that method, but it works.
...And it;s really not much 'practice', unless you are using a new piece of software
EE (hats
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6322|England

Morpheus wrote:

JakAttaK wrote:

Sum tracks to mono.
Ya, I knew that, I thought there was some way to get it really clean or something

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard