Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
There are two separate sets of pathways to two unconnected outcomes, with no overlap.

Its not rocket science.

If Uzique has taken it to mean something else then there's something wrong with his head.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-05-08 06:23:28)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
both under the aegis of 'pathways to impact'. both thus implying two sides of the same coin. both forming two halves of the same overall element: 'research impact'. you're right, it's not rocket science. it's primary school cognition. it's reading a graph that an 8 year old could explain. something you are evidently struggling with. let's be thankful it's not rocket science.

again:

The Research Councils recognise that the research we fund has both academic, and economic and societal impacts. We also recognise that impacts from research can be generated through a range of diverse pathways, take many forms, become manifest at different stages in the research lifecycle and beyond, and can be promoted in many different ways. This, and the potential complexity and diversity of impacts from research, is reflected within the Research Council assessment and reporting process.
how you can read that and see the graphic and then say "i know that research councils normally fund based only on academic merit". LOL. every single piece of research has to justify itself beyond pure academic self-indulgence. i have said this all along.

it's not rocket science dilderp. you can stop being so stubborn for once and admit you made a boo-boo.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
yes, there's something wrong with my head. i am really mis-reading that graph. what it is meant to show is how divorced and irreconcilable those two sides of life are. the graph is posted on the research councils website to show that academic research, alas, can never have a societal benefit. it's an elegy.

www.rcuk.ac.uk/kei/impacts/Pages/meanbyimpact.aspx
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

[...] an independent report commissioned by the Arts Council and conducted by the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR)
A paid report conducted by a private company, using bunk data, piss-poor extrapolation and nil effort to show correlation or comparison Grade D-, sorry.

I thought this graphic was interesting though:

How much govt spending is there on retail stores? Pubs? Castles and Historic houses?
What would the corresponding ROI be? How would that compare with arts/culture?

The report is essentially meaningless, sorry.
Wouldn't that be called infrastructure................................................................................................

Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4166|Oklahoma

Watched this in it's entirety last night.  Every fucking thing he said was pure, uncensored, unbiased TRUTH.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
<3
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
There's a very interesting debate here about a very generous funder of highly speculative theoretical physics (amongst other things) who has theological connections. Worth a read.

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2 … redux.html

Also, there's a study suggesting that the shortage of STEM graduates... isn't, which sort of goes against the narrative of the last few years. One study, mind.

Last edited by Spark (2013-05-09 03:39:54)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

[...] an independent report commissioned by the Arts Council and conducted by the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR)
A paid report conducted by a private company, using bunk data, piss-poor extrapolation and nil effort to show correlation or comparison Grade D-, sorry.

I thought this graphic was interesting though:

How much govt spending is there on retail stores? Pubs? Castles and Historic houses?
What would the corresponding ROI be? How would that compare with arts/culture?

The report is essentially meaningless, sorry.
Wouldn't that be called infrastructure................................................................................................

There is no govt spending on retail stores, hence the ROI is infinity.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'm pretty sure that building and maintaining infrastructure so people can get to your city's businesses counts as government spending on retail stores.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
the government and local councils spend plenty of public money renovating and maintaining high-streets, walk-throughs, large-scale retail developments etc. councils and government money always have a bidding interest in these sorts of sites, because they attract local commerce and footfall to the local area. the maintenance of high-streets and shopping areas undoubtedly falls under this area of spending, too. it's not a lot of the annual budget, but then again nor is the 'arts and culture' money spent on maintaining public statues or sculptures in the very same areas. i don't really know why you're arguing with the categories being used in that report. it seems kind of asinine. the organization do these studies for many areas of government spending.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
humboldt university - geography of hate map. novel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog … homophobia
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
Not going to make any meaningful effect on that graph but "queer" is getting mainstream non-pejorative use for alternative sexualities outside the general LGBT umbrella tbf.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
yeah, well, they read every single tweet themselves and determined whether it was hate-speech or not by human judgement, rather than semantic analysis. the method seems pretty sound. as the article says - the only putative relation is the one between american twitter users and the american polity as a whole.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2 … 2269107097

quite an old discourse, but i rather enjoy reading through/around this moment of reflexivity. when the great structuralist paradigms began to cave into post-structuralist antinomies and alterities.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-10 13:35:35)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I'm so glad when you post things like that, because it helps me to realize just how much I don't know about shitloads of subjects.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
it really should fall under the purview of a science degree, as well, because it's directly related to the intellectual history and self-conscious pursuit of science.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-10 14:14:37)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Gee, that looks like a heat map of our population density (the outlier being LA).
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Gee, that looks like a heat map of our population density (the outlier being LA).
it gets better when you actually zoom in. i don't know why they elected to have a huge red blob when you zoom out to a certain scale. it just gets more inaccurate, if anything. if you zoom in to any level of detail, the trend you in-fact see is that most racist tweets are sent in areas of lower population density: rural areas have a far higher proportion than cities.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

it gets better when you actually zoom in. i don't know why they elected to have a huge red blob when you zoom out to a certain scale. it just gets more inaccurate, if anything. if you zoom in to any level of detail, the trend you in-fact see is that most racist tweets are sent in areas of lower population density: rural areas have a far higher proportion than cities.
It makes me question their sample size. It looks suspiciously like there is one heavily racist tweeter where those red dots are. You generally don't have such a wide disparity here, or enclaves of racist hateful people sitting out in the middle of nowhere. I would expect a much more even distribution if they had a larger sample.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
150k samples is quite a decent size, although i agree you'll never really attain a sample satisfactory enough when you're dealing with entire national populations (and especially with data as effluent and inconsequential as a 140 character tweet). some individuals have probably sent 150,000 tweets in their life-time, let alone a country-wide representation.

i also wonder why ze germans decided to use that technology/method on america. the germans are very good at not having any historical reflection or self-criticism.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-10 17:24:42)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Messy surgery. Even the dog is unsure.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

yaeh that graph is fuzzy. makes the entire US from the East coast to midwest one racist shit hole lol.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
ohio has its moments
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4166|Oklahoma

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

yaeh that graph is fuzzy. makes the entire US from the East coast to midwest one racist shit hole lol.
LOL, the area where I grew up is the most bright red on there.

<3  Hometown pride and respek
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
http://www.nature.com/news/stem-cell-cl … er-1.13060

A blockbuster paper that reported the creation of human stem cell lines via cloning has come under fire. An anonymous online commenter found four problems in the paper, which was published online 15 May in the journal Cell1.

The lead author of the Cell paper, Shoukhrat Mitalipov, told Nature that three were innocent mistakes made while assembling the data in what was to many in the field an unfathomable rush to publication: just three days from submission to acceptance and another 12 days to publication. The fourth, Mitalipov said, was not a problem at all.
good reminder that, as exciting and groundbreaking as a discovery may be, due diligence is still rather important.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard