globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6325|Graz, Austria

pirana6 wrote:

Then again, the amount of light disappearing from single residences might be negligible compared to the metropolis lights that stay on the whole night.
This.
Illumination in cities and along roads is pretty much activated all the time.
They are usually automatically triggered by a light sensor at dusk.
NASA camera?
That footage looks like from a dashboard camera or a mobile phone.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4197|Oklahoma
Prolly an airplane dumping it's shit bucket.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

globefish23 wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Then again, the amount of light disappearing from single residences might be negligible compared to the metropolis lights that stay on the whole night.
This.
Illumination in cities and along roads is pretty much activated all the time.
They are usually automatically triggered by a light sensor at dusk.
NASA camera?
That footage looks like from a dashboard camera or a mobile phone.
And the area between Dallas and Houston is nowhere near New Mexico.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6225|Escea

NASA planning to capture a 500-ton roid, comet inbound and brighter than the moon, and dis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … -ride.html

Very rockety.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6001|Vortex Ring State
Apophis is coming

https://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Apophis_pass_2029-439x440.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
that one is gonna cause a wee problem when it swings around next time, i hear. like, legit. mayans forgot to carry the nought kinda legit.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6225|Escea

Time to call Bruce Willis.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5598|Vacationland

Trotskygrad wrote:

Apophis is coming

Did it pass through the gravitational window already?  I thought that wasn't suppose to happen for years.

Last edited by Narupug (2013-01-09 14:01:35)

Trotskygrad
бля

Narupug wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Apophis is coming

Did it pass through the gravitational window already?  I thought that wasn't suppose to happen for years.
there's going to be 3 close ones, this year (today), 2029 (that image), and 2036. It might impact on 2036 but that depends on how close it comes during the first 2 passes... however if it does impact it won't be that bad, no "long-term effects" or so the scientists say (it would also be on water)

Last edited by Trotskygrad (2013-01-09 14:05:48)

Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5598|Vacationland

Trotskygrad wrote:

Narupug wrote:

Trotskygrad wrote:

Apophis is coming

there's going to be 3 close ones, this year (today), 2029 (that image), and 2036. It might impact on 2036 but that depends on how close it comes during the first 2 passes... however if it does impact it won't be that bad, no "long-term effects" or so the scientists say (it would also be on water)
Seems that it was downgraded to a Torino level 0 back in 06.  Now good old 2007 VK184 is a 1 for impact in 2048 with a .055% chance of an impact.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
i kind of want a 'total extinction of all life' scenario to come up. does no one else sort of idealistically long for a large hunk of rock and a definite date with our doom? it'll be the first thing in the history of the human species that will bring us together and help us overcome all of this petty-ideological bullshit. and then, just as we're finally getting it together, the briefest glimpse of utopia, it'll all be over. would make a great tear-jerking CGI movie for aliens sat in a cinema, several galaxies away.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5598|Vacationland

aynrandroolz wrote:

i kind of want a 'total extinction of all life' scenario to come up. does no one else sort of idealistically long for a large hunk of rock and a definite date with our doom? it'll be the first thing in the history of the human species that will bring us together and help us overcome all of this petty-ideological bullshit. and then, just as we're finally getting it together, the briefest glimpse of utopia, it'll all be over. would make a great tear-jerking CGI movie for aliens sat in a cinema, several galaxies away.
Man would probably go and screw it up.  We'd get break out into global war as people started trying to save their own butts anyway they could think of.  I would like to think mankind would get together and try and try to either figure something out to ensure the survival of our species or go out in a respectable manner, but I can't help thinking it will just end up being every man for himself.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

An asteroid hurling at Earth would make all the nations circle around the U.S. while we save the Earth with the most advanced space program in existence. Maybe the world would start to appreciate us more once we score another win for the good guys.

Last edited by Macbeth (2013-01-09 15:08:16)

Trotskygrad
бля

Narupug wrote:

aynrandroolz wrote:

Man would probably go and screw it up.  We'd get break out into global war as people started trying to save their own butts anyway they could think of.  I would like to think mankind would get together and try and try to either figure something out to ensure the survival of our species or go out in a respectable manner, but I can't help thinking it will just end up being every man for himself.
I think that people would turn to whatever they think could save them, whether it be religion, science, or some other thing.

We would also see a lot of people trying to cash in on this, selling bogus asteroid shelters and such.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

aynrandroolz wrote:

Keep dreaming, uzique. It would be mass looting and chaos.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
We're too hard core of materialists to let a silly asteroid shit on our lawn. There are natural disasters that can occur that are as bad as an asteroid impact, those occur, but on a less predictable time line. We know lots of terrible shit is going to happen over and over and worse and worse into deep time. It's the way she fucking goes. But for now I think even if we can't stop a large asteroid impact we will survive as a species. Even if there are very few of us left, less that 50, we could probably survive. However we get erased from history it may happen in an instant. I don't think there will be any rioting or looting before hand.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX

Macbeth wrote:

An asteroid hurling at Earth would make all the nations circle around the U.S. while we save the Earth with the most advanced space program in existence.
Launched by Russian rockets though.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Trotskygrad
бля

Dilbert_X wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

An asteroid hurling at Earth would make all the nations circle around the U.S. while we save the Earth with the most advanced space program in existence.
Launched by Russian rockets though.
money does wonders to a space program.
Trotskygrad
бля
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

We should still try to blow it for practice.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

Macbeth wrote:

We should still try to blow it for practice.
that's what she said
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
This is a good read: How 19-year-old activist Zack Kopplin is making life hell for Louisiana’s creationists

An excerpt:

"Creationism is not science, and shouldn't be in a public school science class — it's that simple," he says. "Often though, creationists do not, or are unwilling, to recognize this." Science, he argues, is observable, naturalistic, testable, falsifiable, and expandable — everything that creationism is not.

But what also drives Kopplin is the inherent danger he sees in teaching creationism.

"Creationism confuses students about the nature of science," he says. "If students don't understand the scientific method, and are taught that creationism is science, they will not be prepared to do work in genuine fields, especially not the biological sciences. We are hurting the chances of our students having jobs in science, and making discoveries that will change the world."

He worries that, if Louisiana (and Tennessee, which also has a similar law) insists on teaching students creationism, students will not be the ones discover the cure to AIDS or cancer. "We won't be the ones to repair our own damaged wetlands and protect ourselves from more hurricanes like Katrina," he says.

Moreover, he's also concerned that teaching creationism will harm economic development.

"Just search creationism on Monster Jobs or Career Builder and tell me how many creationist jobs you find," he asks. Kopplin tells us about how this past Spring, Kevin Carman, the former Dean of LSU's College School of Science (now the Executive Vice President and Provost for the University of Nevada, Reno) testified in the Louisiana Senate Education Committee about how he had lost researchers and scientists to other states because of the Louisiana Science Education Act.

"But it also violates the separation of church and state," he says. "Teaching Biblical creationism is promoting one very specific fundamentalist version of Christianity, and violating the rights of every other American citizen who doesn't subscribe to those beliefs. So it would be stomping on the rights of Catholics, Mainline Protestants, Buddhists, Humanists, Muslims, Hindus, and every other religious group in the country.

These creationists, he argues, would be horrified to see the Vedas being taught in science class. "And they would have every right to be," he says, "That's how the separation of church and state works and it's the foundation of our country."
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6739|Oxferd Ohire
everyone else figured the south was a lost cause
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6624|Little Bentcock
Not us!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Whats funny is the Old Testament isn't part of Christianity.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard