13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

inb4irishpride

So, every year the missus and i drink green beer. living in the western half of the US, i'm sure our claim to observance of this 'holiday' is tenuous at best. pretty much any american you meet will claim some fraction of Irish ancestry (it's a national pastime, relating what ancestors did 'back in the day to modern events) but i've yet to meet a leprechaun. the lil bastard would probly drain ma beer reserves anyways . .  .

so, do you observe the day? if so, what do you traditionally do to mark the occasion? if not, how can you with a straight face say there ain't an irishman in the woodpile?

https://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9207/patday.jpg
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5517|America
I just wear a lot of green like everyone else, but I would like to know why this day is celebrated by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6699|Devon, England

Blade4509 wrote:

I just wear a lot of green like everyone else, but I would like to know why this day is celebrated by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.
Cos that's what the Irish do?
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5517|America

FFLink wrote:

Blade4509 wrote:

If that's the only reason that's gonna be a serious let-down.
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
wear green and drink alot of beer! YAY SPRING BREAK lolz
last year did the whole bar walk thing on GREENville ave in dallas - it was packed - frat paradise not really my bag
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6161|what

Blade4509 wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Blade4509 wrote:

GET THE FUCK OUT NOW
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

Blade4509 wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Blade4509 wrote:

wat, now i need a reason?

granted we are not the only ones, but the wife and i have gone to a local "pub" on St. Patrick's Day to drink beer our married life. our friends are there, and it may not be the only reason, but it does give us a reason to look forward to a night out in the middle of winter to be with friends.

why wear green?
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6374|California
so you don't get pinched!!!!
also wtf blade you need to go out more buddy
lulz jk
its healthy
national geographic sez "The toast may brim with scientific truth. At a meeting of the American Heart Association in Orlando, Florida, three years ago, researchers reported that Guinness may be as effective as daily aspirin in reducing the blood clots that cause heart attacks. (The benefit derives from antioxidants, which the researchers said reduce cholesterol deposits on arterial walls. The compounds are found in dark Irish stouts but not their paler cousins.)"

burnzz wrote:

why wear green?
• In the United States, it's customary to wear green on St. Patrick's Day. But in Ireland the color was long considered to be unlucky, says Bridget Haggerty, author of The Traditional Irish Wedding and the Irish Culture and Customs Web site.

As Haggerty explains, Irish folklore holds that green is the favorite color of the Good People (the proper name for faeries). They are likely to steal people, especially children, who wear too much of the color.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … ksday.html
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

https://img693.imageshack.us/img693/154/guinessbigd.gif

inb4FatherTeds

Last edited by burnzz (2010-03-06 21:05:54)

Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5517|America
So supposedly it was originally a "feast day" with the Catholic church and did not include a lot of intoxication. Food =/= alcohol. People wear green to bring themselves good luck although wearing green is a sham since they should actually possess a 4 leaf clover to bring good luck. The feast day was brought about to celebrate the life of St. Patrick.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6161|what

Blade4509 wrote:

People wear green to bring themselves good luck although wearing green is a sham since they should actually possess a 4 leaf clover to bring good luck.
Oh, of course! It's so simple.

It's much easier to possess a four leaf clover than it is to throw on a green shirt.

Thanks so much Blade.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

Blade4509 wrote:

So supposedly it was originally a "feast day" with the Catholic church and did not include a lot of intoxication. Food =/= alcohol. People wear green to bring themselves good luck although wearing green is a sham since they should actually possess a 4 leaf clover to bring good luck. The feast day was brought about to celebrate the life of St. Patrick.
"feast day" = party
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6729|Ireland | Monaghan

It's an excuse to get drunk during the daytime and drink on the streets(without been frowned on), that's all it ever was ment to be. Nevermind the green clothes or that shit, DRINK DRINK DRINK.

That is all.
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

Blade4509 wrote:

https://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/992/992212/ocd-family-guys-buzz-killington-20090605014340917-000.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
going to the st.paddy's day parade in central london

all day drunken fuckery

yay
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
jord
+2,382|6686|The North, beyond the wall.
when is saint patricks day then
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6630|Little Bentcock
I feel sad to say that is a horrible drink. Liquid Vegimite, but in a bad way.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England
yes suddenly the whole world has irish ancestry on this day, otherwise it's pure hatred for irish people for the other 364 days of the year

i gotta agree that guinness tastes like shite

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-03-07 06:03:22)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6640

365 for me
JahManRed
wank
+646|6636|IRELAND

I designed and supervised a refit of the biggest most popular bar in my home town. It has a Guinness tap at each table ffs! You buy tokens at the bar and pull your own. The owner has given me 50 tokens which equals 50 pints. It re-opens on St Paddy's and I will be at my table with my tokens getting all my mates drunk. Goin to use them all up in one day!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England
To be fair even though I hate Guinness for the sake of getting drunk I wouldn't refuse 50 free pint tokens
jord
+2,382|6686|The North, beyond the wall.
Tokens seems like a good idea. I wish I could afford to go bars that did shit like that.

I already booked the 18th onwards off work, so but it's on a Wednesday so I wanna go cinema and watch Greenzone then go out. Innit
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6356|Belfast
St Patricks Day is a fucking nighmare here. It is basically comprisied of druken students having a riot in their own street.

Mekstizzle wrote:

yes suddenly the whole world has irish ancestry on this day, otherwise it's pure hatred for irish people for the other 364 days of the year
Everyone but the English love the Irish tbh

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard