DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6156|Vancouver | Canada
As an anti-piracy tool DRM simply doesn’t work – and it never will, although not everyone fully realizes this. For example, Ubisoft recently decided to introduce a new solution to prevent pirates from playing their games. Their new DRM requires gamers to be online all the time when playing the game. Without an Internet connection the game simply won’t work.

The new plans were welcomed with skepticism by fellow game developers and the majority of gamers. Instead of hindering piracy the DRM only restricts legitimate customers from playing the game how and where they want, most people agreed.

A survey among members of the Subsim community regarding the DRM on Silent Hunter 5 shows that, if anything, the new DRM is putting off customers from actually buying the game. Only 15% of the respondents said that the DRM wouldn’t affect their plans to buy Silent Hunter 5, while 85% said they would delay or cancel their purchase until a DRM-free version becomes available.

From these responses it could be concluded that many potential customers would prefer to use a DRM-free (pirated) copy instead of the legitimate product, which is the opposite of what Ubisoft wanted to accomplish.

Silent Hunter 5 was released on Tuesday and just a few hours later a cracked version of the game was published on many file-sharing sites. Ubisoft, worrying that DRM-haters would download the game illegally, quickly responded to the news about the cracked DRM and released a statement in which they downplay ‘the issue’.

“You have probably seen rumors on the web that Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 have been cracked. Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete,” Ubisoft quickly responded.

While many downloaders report that the game works just fine, Ubisoft’s statement does hold some truth because in their view the game is obviously ‘not complete’ without the DRM. At this point it is not entirely clear what else could be “missing” in the cracked version, but that is beside the point.

The bottom line is that their revolutionary DRM invention was cracked in a matter of hours, and although the crack might not be perfect yet, it will be eventually. The end result will be that the pirated version of the game will be more appealing and less restrictive than the actual retail product. Thus, the DRM is encouraging and increasing piracy instead of putting a halt to it.

It looks like Ubisoft has made a massive mistake with their strong focus on DRM. In fact, the time and effort spent on fine-tuning the DRM would have been better spent on game development, so that they didn’t have to release a patch with bugfixes a day after the game was released.

Let’s hope Ubisoft quickly comes to its senses and releases another patch that removes the needless DRM from the game.
Source: http://torrentfreak.com/ubisofts-uber-d … ay-100304/

Serves the fuckers right. I hope no one buys AC2 when it's released for the PC.

(Keep torrent talk to PMs.)
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5789|Catherine Black
DRM is like a red flag to a bull for crackers. They see it as a challenge.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

Finray wrote:

obviously you would know this, from your experience in cracking video game DRM.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6490|Gogledd Cymru

Miggle wrote:

Finray wrote:

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

The Sheriff wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Finray wrote:

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6270
I don't understand how situations like this happen.

EVERYBODY hated the idea, EVERYBODY knew it would reduce sales, and EVERYBODY knew that pirates would crack it instantly.

I don't understand how it even gets to this stage.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

EVERYBODY hated the idea, EVERYBODY knew it would reduce sales, and EVERYBODY knew that pirates would crack it instantly.

ubisoft is french.

french people are morons.

Ever notice how ubisoft has never developed a good game?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5789|Catherine Black
Hey Miggle that's unfair. They had Far Cry Tw-.. hmm.. Rainbow Six Ve-... nah.. umm... Assasin's Creed?... Nah. Okay, I'll give you this one.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6270

Miggle wrote:

ubisoft is french.

AC2 is actually pretty good. So is Beyond Good and Evil. Although I played both of those on consoles so maybe they're just bad PC developers.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2010-03-04 13:53:31)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469

burnzz wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

Miggle wrote:

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6156|Vancouver | Canada

Miggle wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

ubisoft is french.

Splinter Cell > Your favourite game.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5905|CA

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Miggle wrote:

ubisoft is french.

AC2 is actually pretty good. So is Beyond Good and Evil. Although I played both of those on consoles so maybe they're just bad PC developers.
I enjoyed AC2 on the PS3, much more enjoyable on the platform they designed it for.  I haven't booted it up lately (missing 3 feathers, CBA'd to find them), but while I did play, it was an enjoyable game that is better than AC1 one in every way. 

I haven't checked out the DLC yet...has anyone else?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Put it this way: if Ubisoft drops that nonsense, I'm buying SH5.

TopHat01 wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Miggle wrote:

ubisoft is french.

I enjoyed AC2 on the PS3, much more enjoyable on the platform they designed it for.  I haven't booted it up lately (missing 3 feathers, CBA'd to find them), but while I did play, it was an enjoyable game that is better than AC1 one in every way. 

BG&E is actually a good PC game as well. My preferences were still with Thief, but it was a worthy game.

Otherwise here's a few Windows examples:

Assassin's Creed series
Brothers in Arms series
Far Cry series

I also liked Battle Realms, but that's just me.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-03-04 22:24:56)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Put it this way: if Ubisoft drops that nonsense, I'm buying SH5.

TopHat01 wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

BG&E is actually a good PC game as well. My preferences were still with Thief, but it was a worthy game.

Otherwise here's a few Windows examples:

Assassin's Creed series
Brothers in Arms series
Far Cry series

I also liked Battle Realms, but that's just me.
BIA is gearbox
Far Cry (1) is Crytek
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6270
And Far Cry 2 which WAS developed by Ubisoft was terrible.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North
fuck me SH5 is out already?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Miggle wrote:

BIA is gearbox
Far Cry (1) is Crytek
Blah, I was just going off of my memory of company names on the things.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6131|Carnoustie MASSIF

Finray wrote:

Hey Miggle that's unfair. They had Far Cry Tw-.. hmm.. Rainbow Six Ve-... nah.. umm... Assasin's Creed?... Nah. Okay, I'll give you this one.
Splinter Cell?
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6344

CammRobb wrote:

Finray wrote:

Splinter Cell?
I just played through the first and boy was that mediocre. I know it´s old an all, but still.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

Miggle wrote:

BIA is gearbox
Far Cry (1) is Crytek
Developed by Gearbox maybe. But you see that big UBISOFT in the bottom right corner?

https://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/7/920237_62001_front.jpg

oh and look there it is again

https://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/4/371314_front.jpg

So what's your point? You can't say some shit like they've never developed a good game - they ARE PART OF THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS if they PUBLISH the damn things. And it's just not possible to say that AC2 isn't a good game. Even if you were vaguely right in your dumb statement so what? You'd agree they've published good games yeah? Oh, and you've never played Prince of Persia?

I'm no fan of DRM but I can see why they'd want to protect their investment. Cos a bunch of wankers would rather steal their work than pay for it.
jaymz9350
+54|6578

ruisleipa wrote:

I'm no fan of DRM but I can see why they'd want to protect their investment. Cos a bunch of wankers would rather steal their work than pay for it.
But it doesn't protect there investment, it actually hurts it (at least in my opinion).  People will avoid purchasing a game with intrusive DRM and just pirate it (can you name a game that hasn't been cracked, I don't know if one exists but I haven't heard of one).  They also waste a good bit of money on the DRM which they could use to better the development and most likely make even more money from the better product.

Ubisoft already pissed me off with the DRM in Silent Hunter III, I have to run a cracked version of a game that I purchased since the DRM will not work in a 64 bit OS.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

ruisleipa wrote:

Miggle wrote:

BIA is gearbox
Far Cry (1) is Crytek
Developed by Gearbox maybe. But you see that big UBISOFT in the bottom right corner?

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bi … _front.jpg

oh and look there it is again

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bi … _front.jpg

So what's your point? You can't say some shit like they've never developed a good game - they ARE PART OF THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS if they PUBLISH the damn things. And it's just not possible to say that AC2 isn't a good game. Even if you were vaguely right in your dumb statement so what? You'd agree they've published good games yeah? Oh, and you've never played Prince of Persia?

I didn't say jack shit about production.
ruisleipa
+149|6223|teh FIN-land

Miggle wrote:

errr...neither did I. I said if they publish the game they're also part of developing it. And you obviously didn't read my post mate.

jaymz9350 wrote:

But it doesn't protect there investment, it actually hurts it (at least in my opinion).  People will avoid purchasing a game with intrusive DRM and just pirate it (can you name a game that hasn't been cracked, I don't know if one exists but I haven't heard of one).  They also waste a good bit of money on the DRM which they could use to better the development and most likely make even more money from the better product.

Ubisoft already pissed me off with the DRM in Silent Hunter III, I have to run a cracked version of a game that I purchased since the DRM will not work in a 64 bit OS.
I agree, it seems like DRM DOES hurt their investment. but I can see why they do it, or want some similar system. It would be interesting to know how many illegal DLs of SHIII there were either because of the DRM or in general. These companies need to find a way to stop people stealing their shit! Although I agree DRM isn't the best way of going about it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

jaymz9350 wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

You're both right, and these scenarios fail.

The DRM in some manner does prevent idle piracy from end users with money and no willingness to mess around with cracks, but it isn't going to make people buy your game who weren't going to in the first place. So it helps, but doesn't help. Where it really fails is when it can damage a computer's functionality, whereas the cracked version does not (if not infected with a virus).

That's why I support companies like Stardock and their (partial, I think) selection of DRM-free software.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2010-03-07 00:09:37)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6742|FUCK UBISOFT

ruisleipa wrote:

Miggle wrote:

errr...neither did I. I said if they publish the game they're also part of developing it. And you obviously didn't read my post mate.
Ubisoft has published plenty of good games, but their dev studios are absolute shit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard