Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
Really sad day, my headphone cord-casing-thing (the rubbery part, whatever you call it) decided to sever itself from the plastic jack. The wires are bare atm and I dont think there's really any chance of them going back into the cord.

Is there any way to fix this? I tried making a sort of encasing from electrical tape with the sticky side facing outwards, and then covered that one regularly, but that didn't hold for even 2 hours (plus it was big and clunky).

I can probably get a new pair from my warranty but I need these headphones for spring break, which is < 2 weeks away.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/19950/wire.jpg
Brasso
+1,549|6601

maybe encase it in glue from a hot glue gun?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

Why sticky side outwards?  Just tape it regularily, maybe put a stronger tape on top of that and you should be fine for the couple weeks you need them

haffeysucks wrote:

maybe encase it in glue from a hot glue gun?
Not a chance they'll accept them under warranty after that

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2010-03-02 19:22:16)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
my last set of shure's suffered the same fate (albeit internally, no external plastic damage) and i sent them off

freely replaced under warranty (~17 months after buying them) on a pair of earphones worth £200.

check the manufacturer; get a spanky new pair for free!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Uzique wrote:

my last set of shure's suffered the same fate (albeit internally, no external plastic damage) and i sent them off

freely replaced under warranty (~17 months after buying them) on a pair of earphones worth £200.

check the manufacturer; get a spanky new pair for free!
i'd love to, but it's imperative that I have these starting march 12th.

@wins: I don't want to inadvertantly tape the wires themselves, they'd get stuck to the tape and if the tape came off for whatever reason (and it does), I dont want the wires to come with it.

I might retry a very thin backwards tape over the wires and then another regular tape over it. My first attempt looked like a joint and failed miserably.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

You should be able to pull the plastic sleeve up enough to cover it up when you tape it if it broke off from there in the first place.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
I've solved the problem by melting a piece of thin tube plastic stuff I found at home-hardware over the wires. It take a little bit of time, because you have to be sure to not burn the plastic and create holes. You just want to heat it enough to be able to squish it around the wires. It's held to this day.

My headphones didn't have warranty, though, so there was nothing to lose.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
I don't know why you couldn't just be careful with it for the two weeks or whatever until you can send it in for new ones.

Anyways if you're looking for the "right" fix you want heat shrink tubing.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Winston_Churchill wrote:

You should be able to pull the plastic sleeve up enough to cover it up when you tape it if it broke off from there in the first place.
ain't no way those wires are going back in, i tried

well, this is what I have now, hopefully it will last 3 weeks

https://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4082/downloadmid15151470aedp.jpg
Defiance
+438|6641

As said, try to get them replaced from the manufacturer. If not, it's a bit annoying but easily possible to splice a new cable on there. After I got my Shures replaced once for internal wire damage (the E2s were notorious for wire damage), I spliced it and with a bit of heat shrink it looks fantastic.
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Anyways if you're looking for the "right" fix you want heat shrink tubing.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas
So um, I've never sent anything back for warranty. How exactly does this work? I went to the website and looked at my little info thing that came with it, but there's no real instructions.

Do I just stick the pink little piece of paper that says "Limited Product Warranty and Safety Guidelines" with my earphones in an envelope and ship it off to logitech or what?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Call them. Always the easiest way
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Are they Ultimate Ears 700?

Same happened to mine; but UE don't apply the warranty on the cable, as stated on the site:
Damage or breakage due to use contrary to Ultimate Ears instruction, ordinary wear and tear, misuse, abuse, negligence, accident, unauthorized repair, acts of God, or modification of, or to any part of the Product is not covered by the warranty, nor is the cord.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Zimmer wrote:

Are they Ultimate Ears 700?

Same happened to mine; but UE don't apply the warranty on the cable, as stated on the site:
Damage or breakage due to use contrary to Ultimate Ears instruction, ordinary wear and tear, misuse, abuse, negligence, accident, unauthorized repair, acts of God, or modification of, or to any part of the Product is not covered by the warranty, nor is the cord.
Motherfucker. It's obviously a shit job of attaching the cord to the jack.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

You can replace the cord altogether, there are some tuts online I think.

Did you not buy them after I recommended them to you?

It seems you don't really look after them very well... because mine only started ripping.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5759|Catherine Black
Acts of god?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

Zimmer wrote:

You can replace the cord altogether, there are some tuts online I think.

Did you not buy them after I recommended them to you?

It seems you don't really look after them very well... because mine only started ripping.
The clip on the case broke almost immediately, so I keep them rolled up in my backpack or pocket (around 3 fingers) like you said. Actually took pretty damn good care of these.

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Finray wrote:

Acts of god?
It's so they don't get fucked over in the warranty. You'd be surprised at how crafty people are when they want something replaced.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Zimmer wrote:

Finray wrote:

Acts of god?
It's so they don't get fucked over in the warranty. You'd be surprised at how crafty people are when they want something replaced.
Its an actual legal term.  Well, at least here it is...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard