mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6663

Pitch, timbre, time signature, speed, certain instruments/sounds/effects, etc.
What do you find yourself enjoying the most in music? What are some aspects that set some music apart from the rest?

For me, mainly two things;

1) Synthesizers. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate acoustic instruments and enjoy them as well. But with a lot of the music I like, the more that's synthesized, the better. I don't know why, either. I just really like sounds that are made by computers, or are a computer's interpretation of how an instrument sounds. Hmm, I wonder if it's because I listened to too much Kraftwerk as a kid.

2) Reverberation. I really really love the depth that a little reverb provides. It's like adding another dimension to it, building a space, making it solidified. Whether it's rock or electronic or whatever, I just gotta have teh reverbz!
ruisleipa
+149|6231|teh FIN-land
It's all about the groove. Whether it's Pantera, Rage Against the Machine, Mos Def or some DnB shiznizz, it has to have me tapping my foot or nodding my head instinctively. Probably that's why I don't like a lot of 60s 70s and 80s white-boy rock like the Beatles or Pink Floyd cos they just don't have the damn groove!
aimless
+166|6133|Texas
groove, bass, rhythm
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6374|California
bass
Bevo
Nah
+718|6529|Austin, Texas
dissonance resolving into consonance

harmonized melodies

good basslines that don't simply mimic the harmony, but add another layer.

good vocals
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6472|cuntshitlake

Mood. All about the mood it brings me to.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS
harmonies, especially of the instrumental layered kind.

technical skill.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6631|Little Bentcock
Real instruments. Skill with said instruments. Harmonies between all the instruments.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS

Adams_BJ wrote:

Real instruments. Skill with said instruments. Harmonies between all the instruments.
i like your style (i have no issues calling a synth a real instrument though)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6725
the best songs are ones that evoke emotions from the listener... it can make you happy or sad just by hearing it.
and the feeling of connection with a song... i love hearing an old song an being transported back to that time instantly.
Without music life would be kind of pointless...
Love is the answer
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America
Usually, what catches me about music is that "it rocks" (somewhat indescribable of a term, really). To me, rock is created when all pieces of a band coming together and making a whole that is just orgasmic, and turns me into the "Yes, yes, this rocks!" sort. It makes it very difficult for me to like any things like instrumentals (I think I have 2 in my library) or songs that are just a guitar. More often than not, it's a song to pump me up anyway. It's extremely hard for me to listen to slow shit (like the first six minutes of Stairway to Heaven = yawn for me) unless it's got a message to it. My friends tried to get me to listen to Pink Floyd because I haven't really heard them and it just sounded like a bunch of background music to me, whereas I was waiting for the good part to start.
Wreckognize
+294|6494

aimless wrote:

groove, bass, rhythm
Laika
+75|5952
Particularly: descending basslines, vocal harmony, and changes in time signature (The Beatles were excellent at that). That's not the extent of what grabs my ear but it'd be pretty hard for me to list everything that does.

Last edited by Laika (2010-03-02 07:27:42)

Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6281

Catbox wrote:

the best songs are ones that evoke emotions from the listener... it can make you happy or sad just by hearing it.
and the feeling of connection with a song... i love hearing an old song an being transported back to that time instantly.
Without music life would be kind of pointless...
Very well said. +, songs that you can find aspects of your character in them. That doesn't make sense, I know, but for me it does. Also mood.
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5726|Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bass that's at the resonant frequency of the objects in the room. So everything vibrates. <3 songs like that.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6636|UK

TheDonkey wrote:

Bass that's at the resonant frequency of the objects in the room. So everything vibrates. <3 songs like that.
That's just annoying tbh
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6411|dm_maidenhead

liquidat0r wrote:

TheDonkey wrote:

That's just annoying tbh
Yeah that ruins the song. Move the stuff that is vibrating tbh
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6751|London

there are falsettos in some songs I really like
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6741|St. Andrews / Oslo

If the song is finished, and I just sit back and think "holy shit what just hit me," then, well, it's a good song.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6335|England
Really nice warm bass tones. The sound of the bass strings when you can hear them...dunno how to explain it. A really nice string line that just carries the rest. Pianos. I love pianos. Strong vocal harmonies. Vocals that are sung with great conviction, to the point that you actually feel it. Guitar solos that put the hairs on the back of your neck up. Noticing little bits that you never heard before. The build up after an epic drop. As someone els said the songs that take you back to a specific place/time. There is more but I'm too lazy to think
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

Too hard for me to quantify.  I guess if it 'sounds good'.  There are too many types of music I enjoy to really whittle down a style/harmony/timing/pattern to what I like.
hmm too much music to pin it down but have ya heard the new gorillaz? its perty damn awsum
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
Deep, low, strong, long bass.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6479
time signatures created by rolling dice and using equations

algorhythmic melodies created by 2 computer-brains mating and ejaculating inside one another
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5729|Gulf Coast

Odd meters, old Fender amp reverb, gritty bass tones, polyrhythms, crescendos that end up hitting like tidal waves... I could go on for days

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard