Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6698|67.222.138.85
Quotes from http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 3#p3037913

p.60 wrote:

Definition is to a major degree dependent upon your partisan position. Your leader is always flexible, he has pride in the dignity of his cause, he is unflinching, sincere, an ingenious tactician fighting the good fight. To the opposition he is unprincipled and will go whichever way the wind blows, his arrogance is masked by a fake humility, he is dogmatically stubborn, a hypocrite, unscrupulous and unethical, and he will do anything to win; he is leading the forces of evil. To one side he is a demigod, to the other a demagogue.
To be looking for common ground by definition is to look for failure. It doesn't make any sense to ask the opposition to see it your way - they obviously have their reasons for picking their ideology of choice, and that decision is rarely made in an environment absent of your ideology. You cannot speak your native tongue, you have to appeal to them in the universal language of self-interest.

Why you think action x is the best choice is irrelevant. You are not the one making the decision. You have to state the case the person making the decision would be making if you were the one with the decision to make. Arguments of morality are meaningless - unless stated in terms of their morality.

p.24 wrote:

Life and how you live it is the story of means and ends. The end is what you want, and the means is how you get it. Whenever we think about social change, the question of means and ends arises. The man of action views the issue of means and ends in pragmatic and strategic terms. He has no other problem ;he thinks of his actual resources and the possibilities of carious choices of action. He has of ends only whether they will work. To say that corrupt means corrupt the ends is to believe in the immaculate conception of ends and principles. The real arena is corrupt and bloody. Life is a corrupting process from the time a child learns to play his mother off against his father in the politics of when to go to bed; he who fears corruptions fears life.

The practical revolutionary will understand Goethe's "conscience is the virtue of observers and not agents of action"; in action, one does not always enjoy the luxury of of a decision that is consistent both with one's individual conscience and the good of mankind. The choice must always be for the latter. Action is for mass salvation and not for the individual's personal salvation. He who sacrifices the mass good for his personal conscience has a peculiar conception of "personal salvation"; he doesn't care enough for people to be "corrupted" for them.
This is why making statements about what is good or what is right doesn't make practical sense. Everyone has been corrupted to the means that works best for achieving their ends, and their morality forms around that.

It makes sense that for most people, appealing to a general social definition of superego works. In a broad sense yes, most of us share definitions of what is right and wrong, but only because that is how most people have learned to function best. Most people are mediocre, and so those people are most effective at wielding their mediocrity by adhering to social standards. The safety in numbers develops a sufficiently common standard that, if accepted, grants protection so long as it is followed. The ego yields to the superego entirely.

The problem is the exceptions. The people that break the mold for whatever reason are the ones in positions of power. Maybe it's because of bloodline and not from natural or trained ability as we might like, but the fact is they are where they are because they have no need to conform to the overarching superego. They have the luxury of being completely practical, being immune to the need for personal salvation. That means they don't need to morally satisfy themselves - that also means they don't need to satisfy others in order to satisfy themselves. They are a force acting outside of social norms that can only be reasoned with in terms of their own unique morality.

We ridiculously expect the elite to conform to our idea of right and wrong because we believe it to be absolute, despite its birth as a collective power-grab by the masses. We talk to them in our language and act shocked when they don't understand what we're saying.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
Identifying those in power, especially elected officials, as ubermensch is grossly misleading.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac
Yet identifying with them has worked so well for us so far.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Yet identifying with them has worked so well for us so far.
They enter a different society that plays by different rules than the rest of us do once they achieve their power. Saying that they were different people all along is misleading because most of them were run of the mill idealists who upon attaining power became pragmatists in order to entrench themselves.

They don't 'relate' to us or our problems because they've spent so much time in a walled off and insulated cocoon without having to deal with the mundane problems of every day life. They want a Coke? They don't get into their car and drive to the store, they snap their fingers What does a guy that has spent 30+ years in Washington DC know about his or her own district or state? Very little.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The people that break the mold for whatever reason are the ones in positions of power. Maybe it's because of bloodline and not from natural or trained ability as we might like, but the fact is they are where they are because they have no need to conform to the overarching superego. They have the luxury of being completely practical, being immune to the need for personal salvation. That means they don't need to morally satisfy themselves - that also means they don't need to satisfy others in order to satisfy themselves. They are a force acting outside of social norms that can only be reasoned with in terms of their own unique morality.
Why they are in power makes no difference.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The people that break the mold for whatever reason are the ones in positions of power. Maybe it's because of bloodline and not from natural or trained ability as we might like, but the fact is they are where they are because they have no need to conform to the overarching superego. They have the luxury of being completely practical, being immune to the need for personal salvation. That means they don't need to morally satisfy themselves - that also means they don't need to satisfy others in order to satisfy themselves. They are a force acting outside of social norms that can only be reasoned with in terms of their own unique morality.
Why they are in power makes no difference.
Regardless, you're assumption that they are different from birth is silly. Sure, some people are 'born leaders' but most of those 'born leaders' get their ass kicked growing up by bigger bullies than themselves.

No, places like the military train leaders every day regardless of true moral code. Thus, your assumptions are false.
-Frederick Bastiat
Flaming_Maniac

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Maybe it's because of bloodline and not from natural or trained ability as we might like, but the fact is they are where they are because they have no need to conform to the overarching superego.
Are you continuing to ignore the "maybe" or something?
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France
rules, norms, culture ideals, laws are meant to be broken and tested, so society can gradually change

aka statements of good or bad are relative, cause disagreements for the betterment of society as these how the new rules, norms, etc are formed
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
Some people are born different, others change with circumstance.

Regardless, what John said about the people in power being out of touch is true.  It applies to more than just politicians though -- Wall Street is clearly out of touch with the rest of society as well.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Quotes from http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 3#p3037913

p.60 wrote:

Definition is to a major degree dependent upon your partisan position. Your leader is always flexible, he has pride in the dignity of his cause, he is unflinching, sincere, an ingenious tactician fighting the good fight. To the opposition he is unprincipled and will go whichever way the wind blows, his arrogance is masked by a fake humility, he is dogmatically stubborn, a hypocrite, unscrupulous and unethical, and he will do anything to win; he is leading the forces of evil. To one side he is a demigod, to the other a demagogue.
To be looking for common ground by definition is to look for failure. It doesn't make any sense to ask the opposition to see it your way - they obviously have their reasons for picking their ideology of choice, and that decision is rarely made in an environment absent of your ideology. You cannot speak your native tongue, you have to appeal to them in the universal language of self-interest.
I find it interesting that your interpretation of this passage is the idea that two sides looking for common ground is failure.  What I get from the passage is the author trying to convey that people are so indoctrinated by their dogmatic political ideology that they fail to observe the hypocrisy evident in modern partisan politics.  Nowhere in what you have quoted is the author making an appeal for people to compromise their beliefs or seek common dogmatic ground - it is simply an observation that we often get so caught up in promoting our own political viewpoints that we fail to recognize that the we are making distinctions for the same condition based on our political ideologies.  We see a character attribute as negative if the person holds a different political view yet the same attribute is considered positive or virtuous in someone that holds like views.  Perhaps you are trying to make the point that compromising your political beliefs for the sake of reaching ideological common ground does a disservice to the respective ideologies, but you've used a piss-poor example to make your point.

As far as the universal language of self-interest, I find that an interesting notion.  I have the "we are in it for the species" mindset, where to me the universal language would be "for the horde" so-to-speak.  I think the idea of self-interest as the underlying guiding thought of humanity is a somewhat weak-minded outlook on life - the idea that I should only care about myself.  I tend to follow the thought that our actions at the most fundamental level aren't self serving at all - we unconsciously act in a way that favors the continuation of the species.  For this reason I argue that the idea of a 'universal language of self-interest' is a purely artificial and socially driven worldview and a largely negative one to boot.

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

p.24 wrote:

Life and how you live it is the story of means and ends. The end is what you want, and the means is how you get it. Whenever we think about social change, the question of means and ends arises. The man of action views the issue of means and ends in pragmatic and strategic terms. He has no other problem ;he thinks of his actual resources and the possibilities of carious choices of action. He has of ends only whether they will work. To say that corrupt means corrupt the ends is to believe in the immaculate conception of ends and principles. The real arena is corrupt and bloody. Life is a corrupting process from the time a child learns to play his mother off against his father in the politics of when to go to bed; he who fears corruptions fears life.

The practical revolutionary will understand Goethe's "conscience is the virtue of observers and not agents of action"; in action, one does not always enjoy the luxury of of a decision that is consistent both with one's individual conscience and the good of mankind. The choice must always be for the latter. Action is for mass salvation and not for the individual's personal salvation. He who sacrifices the mass good for his personal conscience has a peculiar conception of "personal salvation"; he doesn't care enough for people to be "corrupted" for them.
This is why making statements about what is good or what is right doesn't make practical sense. Everyone has been corrupted to the means that works best for achieving their ends, and their morality forms around that.
Why doesn't it make practical sense?  Morals and ethics are meant to be guidelines, not absolute truths.  They are meant to be reference points on which you base your actions, not pure statements existing in a vacuum devoid of thought and rationalism.  Of course no one is 100% pure with no corruption in their life.  To think otherwise or even to feel the need to explain that concept is ridiculous.  The idea is to limit the corruption in the means towards the end goal.  Goethe's statement is more an indictment against observers than a praise of agents of action - surely one can be a conscientious agent - the end result doesn't always justify the means, as the author seems to be suggesting.  What is the point of a peaceful society if you have to murder half the population to get there?

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

It makes sense that for most people, appealing to a general social definition of superego works. In a broad sense yes, most of us share definitions of what is right and wrong, but only because that is how most people have learned to function best. Most people are mediocre, and so those people are most effective at wielding their mediocrity by adhering to social standards. The safety in numbers develops a sufficiently common standard that, if accepted, grants protection so long as it is followed. The ego yields to the superego entirely.

The problem is the exceptions. The people that break the mold for whatever reason are the ones in positions of power. Maybe it's because of bloodline and not from natural or trained ability as we might like, but the fact is they are where they are because they have no need to conform to the overarching superego. They have the luxury of being completely practical, being immune to the need for personal salvation. That means they don't need to morally satisfy themselves - that also means they don't need to satisfy others in order to satisfy themselves. They are a force acting outside of social norms that can only be reasoned with in terms of their own unique morality.
I really don't get your fascination with Nietzsche nor your incessant need to regurgitate his ideas on this forum.  I don't consider myself as mediocre, certainly not by the narrow definition of Nietzsche, and I certainly wouldn't qualify someone in power as automatically ubermensch.  It is an interesting philosophical notion, nothing more.  It's like me trying to convince people that the only reality is the one in my mind, and that you all are simply actors in the grand play of life currently showing in my mind - it's an intellectual exercise, not a worldview.

People in power aren't exceptional any more than a bum on the street is.  Surely in a broad sense of the word it is true, but to conceive these people as 'breaking the mold' is as equally ridiculous as thinking that these people achieved their goals by not adhering to a moral code or confined by personal salvation.  Practicality does not inherently mean that you are devoid of moral or ethical guidance.  It means you recognize the most reasonable way to go about doing something.  And the fact that society deems something as reasonable or not certainly weighs on peoples minds.  We are a social species through and through - we need a bare minimum acceptance of society to stoke a fundamental fire of existence.  The only people that may act completely outside of societal norms are sociopaths.  It seems counter intuitive to Nietzsche's ideology to call a sociopath an ubermensch but that is in fact the core of what he is getting at - someone who transcends societal norms on his quest for enlightenment.  That's not a good thing - the promotion of self to the detriment of humanity - and in that aspect the ends (becoming an ubermensch) certainly does not justify the means (throwing out societal guidelines and stepping on others as a way to rise to the top).

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

We ridiculously expect the elite to conform to our idea of right and wrong because we believe it to be absolute, despite its birth as a collective power-grab by the masses. We talk to them in our language and act shocked when they don't understand what we're saying.
We expect the 'elite' to conform to our idea of right and wrong not because it is the handicap we put on ourselves in our quest to fulfill our potential but because we expect at the very least an underlying kinship with people - the idea that I won't screw you over just so I get one more piece of pie than you.  Selfishness is a weakness, not an admirable trait.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Selfishness is a weakness, not an admirable trait.
Dependence is weakness. Rational self interest is what drives the world.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dependence is different from wanting acceptance from society.  It's almost impossible to have a rational self-interest.  A good ideology but not practical.  That's like saying the Golden Rule is what drives the world. 

We can debate the merits of objectivism in another thread if you want.  Don't take that to mean that I will or won't partake in that debate though.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

he who has the gold, makes the rules.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dependence is different from wanting acceptance from society.  It's almost impossible to have a rational self-interest.  A good ideology but not practical.  That's like saying the Golden Rule is what drives the world. 

We can debate the merits of objectivism in another thread if you want.  Don't take that to mean that I will or won't partake in that debate though.
I'm not an objectivist. I just recognize societal dependence as a form of slavery in it's own right. Not all of us care or are driven by a need to seek societal acceptance either. Extroverts need this, Introverts do not.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

I'm not an objectivist. I just recognize societal dependence as a form of slavery in it's own right. Not all of us care or are driven by a need to seek societal acceptance either. Extroverts need this, Introverts do not.
I guess I shouldn't say acceptance so much as interaction.  We need people to tell us we are loved, good, bad, etc.  We need interaction.  You are dependent on society - not dependent in the sense that you rely on society to exist, but that you rely on society for mental/physical stimulation.  How you could see that as a bad thing is beyond me.  As far as I know you are not self-sufficient in the least, so what makes you think you aren't dependent on society?  From your posts it seems like you want to be a major player in the paper chase...so you could say that you are a slave to money?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I guess I shouldn't say acceptance so much as interaction.  We need people to tell us we are loved, good, bad, etc.  We need interaction.  You are dependent on society - not dependent in the sense that you rely on society to exist, but that you rely on society for mental/physical stimulation.  How you could see that as a bad thing is beyond me.  As far as I know you are not self-sufficient in the least, so what makes you think you aren't dependent on society?  From your posts it seems like you want to be a major player in the paper chase...so you could say that you are a slave to money?
Sure, everyone requires social interaction, even the most introverted among us. The degrees by which it is necessary is an entirely personal matter with no set normality however.

By societal standards I am an introvert. I have many acquaintances but few close friends. I can attend a party and be the 'life of the party' but it bores me and tires me. I dislike small talk. I am self confident to the point of arrogance and have little care for how people feel about me outside of my small circle, of which the primary means of entry is my respect for them. I respect intelligence and self reliance, it doesn't matter to me whether a person is considered by larger society to be 'an asshole' or 'nice'. It's irrelevant.

Now, in my past, I was an extrovert. I cared very much what people thought of me and I wanted everyone to be my friend. I bent over backwards for people to the point that I was taken advantage of. Looking back on it, I ascribe it to a lack of self esteem and a lack of self-reliance. By extension, and mostly because of this experience, I view extroverted individuals as weak people who lack confidence. Nothing I have experienced since has changed this view. In their overriding desire to be liked, they become slaves to other peoples desires instead of their own.

If I were to seek power, my primary motive wouldn't be to help others, it would be to isolate myself from the power that others may exert over me.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

It's not impossible, it's just counterintuitive.  Rational self-interest would actually involve being concerned about the wellbeing of others because it collectively impacts your own wellbeing.

So, ironically, rational self-interest would actually lean away from Objectivism and somewhat towards socialism.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's not impossible, it's just counterintuitive.  Rational self-interest would actually involve being concerned about the wellbeing of others because it collectively impacts your own wellbeing.

So, ironically, rational self-interest would actually lean away from Objectivism and somewhat towards socialism.
Yes and no. I recognize that I am not an island and that the free market is nothing more than a series of inter-dependencies. The difference between a socialist and a capitalist is that I don't hold all of the pieces of the system to have equal value. Do I recognize that other people need entertainment, shelter, food, health care etc? Yes. But I feel their access should be dictated by their value to the system.

Socialism by it's very nature places more value on the individual within the system even though it is detrimental to the system as a whole. Yes, it is entirely counterintuitive, just like the labels on the different systems. A capitalist is labeled a conservative while recognizing his system requires economic and personal freedom for the individual while a socialist is labeled a liberal even though the system he puts forward is entirely ultra-conservative in nature, both socially and economically.

Is it any wonder there are so many confused people in the world?
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yes and no. I recognize that I am not an island and that the free market is nothing more than a series of inter-dependencies. The difference between a socialist and a capitalist is that I don't hold all of the pieces of the system to have equal value. Do I recognize that other people need entertainment, shelter, food, health care etc? Yes. But I feel their access should be dictated by their value to the system.

Socialism by it's very nature places more value on the individual within the system even though it is detrimental to the system as a whole. Yes, it is entirely counterintuitive, just like the labels on the different systems. A capitalist is labeled a conservative while recognizing his system requires economic and personal freedom for the individual while a socialist is labeled a liberal even though the system he puts forward is entirely ultra-conservative in nature, both socially and economically.

Is it any wonder there are so many confused people in the world?
Economic freedom is rationally limited by the rights of others just the same as personal freedom is.  You cannot have a very cohesive society without certain programs that everyone must pay into to help the less fortunate.

Regardless of how you define something as liberal and conservative, pragmatism is more useful than idealism.

It is most practical for a higher quality of life to have a social safety net.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Economic freedom is rationally limited by the rights of others just the same as personal freedom is.  You cannot have a very cohesive society without certain programs that everyone must pay into to help the less fortunate.

Regardless of how you define something as liberal and conservative, pragmatism is more useful than idealism.

It is most practical for a higher quality of life to have a social safety net.
It's only (or should be) limited by 'universal morals' i.e. negative actions against another individual. Fraud, theft etc. Anything beyond that is just an attempt to control behavior and force it to conform to some artificial societal norm.

Society in general preaches conformity. The square pegs are ostracized but it is those square pegs that have throughout history led us to the heights of civilization we live in today. Yes, some of those square pegs were the Hitlers of the world, but many more were the Bill Gates' and Nicola Tesla's. I believe in personal freedom simply because it allows those square pegs to live their lives without society having any power to force them to conform.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

It's only (or should be) limited by 'universal morals' i.e. negative actions against another individual. Fraud, theft etc. Anything beyond that is just an attempt to control behavior and force it to conform to some artificial societal norm.

Society in general preaches conformity. The square pegs are ostracized but it is those square pegs that have throughout history led us to the heights of civilization we live in today. Yes, some of those square pegs were the Hitlers of the world, but many more were the Bill Gates' and Nicola Tesla's. I believe in personal freedom simply because it allows those square pegs to live their lives without society having any power to force them to conform.
I think you'll find that the middle ground tends to be most fertile.  You can't go for the minarchist ideal or the communist ideal.  Somewhere in between is most practical -- where along that spectrum is best is where the debate enters.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

I think you'll find that the middle ground tends to be most fertile.  You can't go for the minarchist ideal or the communist ideal.  Somewhere in between is most practical -- where along that spectrum is best is where the debate enters.
"We were the first to assert that the more complicated the forms assumed by civilization, the more restricted the freedom of the individual must become."

Thus I say K.I.S.S.
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

"We were the first to assert that the more complicated the forms assumed by civilization, the more restricted the freedom of the individual must become."

Thus I say K.I.S.S.
Well, if you like the ideologies of fascist dictators.....

(you are aware that is a quote from Mussolini?)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2010-02-26 16:27:18)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Bertster7 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Thus I say K.I.S.S.

Absolutely, that's why I used it and is why I said Keep It Simple, Stupid in regards to my desire for Minarchism.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

JohnG@lt wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Thus I say K.I.S.S.

Absolutely, that's why I used it and is why I said Keep It Simple, Stupid in regards to my desire for Minarchism.
So you are quoting Mussolini as proof that we should keep it simple...

That's not a very good argument, nor is it inherently true (Mussolini's observation).

Anyway, back to 'universal language.'  The 'universal language of self-interest' that is

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard